melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Derby County FC
Everyone has them,rules,ideas,superstitions that you follow
Often you cant even remember where or why you got them

May involve a certain jockey,track,class of race,anything
Maybe its a system you've developed yourself or pinched from someone else.

Im talking about the ones you ALWAYS follow,not the spontaneous stuff about names,colours or hunches.

I'll start it off:

1. When you save,ALWAYS save on every runner.

Most relevant for quaddies,cant count the number of times I'd save on say 6 out of 9 & up bobbed the $40 winner that i should have had $25 on.
Not any more.
Most recent example;Roman Arch,Australian Cup.

2.Canny Lad's often improve with Blinkers First Time.

This is one I acquired from a mate who continues to use it with success.
Certainly not foolproof but continues to throw up long priced improvers.

3.In harness racing,certain classes of race at certain tracks have a very low % of faves winning.

This one takes research but the benefits are obvious,tri's & r doubles etc.
Im sure it works for thoroughbreds & dogs too.

Got plenty more ,what are some of yours?

seth

I have a couple that I use regularly.

Never back a horse in a Class 1 race that won it's maiden the start before. More often than not they are false favourites too.

Back a horse that is trained at a track where there has been a meeting the previous or following day. For example, if they raced at Moe on yesterday and there is a horse trained at Moe racing today, I will back it.

Always forgive a horse one bad run, especially if it started under 5/1 and is better than 10/1 the next start.

and my favourite one is, I will ALWAYS back a horse that won two starts ago and then finished 6th at its last start. I started doing this with a mate (my old boss, who is no longer with us:thumbsdown: ) when I first started punting and if I see one I will back it.

Hotel 6 said:
and my favourite one is, I will ALWAYS back a horse that won two starts ago and then finished 6th at its last start.

Ok,this is one of the weirdest ones Ive heard.
It must have worked tho or you wouldnt keep trying it.

seth

In harness, gallops, and dogs, for 1st starters look at the home state value compared to the other states a few minutes before the race.
I saw one run at Qld and uni tab was $8, while s tab was $16 and this was gallops.
It got home and ended up paying 12.50

sethlad said:
Hotel 6 said:
and my favourite one is, I will ALWAYS back a horse that won two starts ago and then finished 6th at its last start.

Ok,this is one of the weirdest ones Ive heard.
It must have worked tho or you wouldnt keep trying it.

seth

Yeah, I know. My mate used to call them one sixers and it just stuck. There were two of them in one race one day in provincial NSW and we took the quinella. They ran first and second and the quinella paid over $100 and he $20 on it and I had a fiver (and this was when it 50c units and dividends:thumbsu: :thumbsu: ).

Not sure whether it has been a winning strategy over the years but it has got me out of a few bad days in the past :eek:

A little surprised at how slow this thread has been.
Im not looking for secret systems here,just the run of the mill stuff.

Maybe the punters are worried about their superstitions being used for evil??

seth

Have a high bankroll and only bet a % of that bankroll on each bet to eliminate wiping away your bank.

% can vary depending on what type of betting you using.

Most will use upto 5% in sportsbetting and normally drop it back to the 2-3% mark in racing.

A couple I use from time to time are:

When John Hawkes moves one of his horses from Sydney to Melb or vice versa, they always seem to run well.

Back horses that are first up, but did nothing in their previous two runs before a spell, eg form guide reads "00x" or similar.

Try to steer clear of horses that are up in weight and back in distance from their previous run.

Mick Price and his use of senior jockeys. His runners seem to always perfrom when Callow, Baster, etc are riding. Goodwood a recent example, he had 3 runners in the race, apprentices on 2, Perfectly Ready has senior jockey and wins.

i like backing horses first up in their second campaign, where they are still yet to run a place, logic being that they improved or filled out in the paddock and will therefore be over the odds

also ellerton horses first up
female jockeys in the wet
never back a horse after its won its maiden unless its 2000m plus
dont back paul harvey too often,wins his fair share but always under the odds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always back overseas imports having their first starts in Melbourne, especially European ones who only seem to have form on Good tracks running on wet tracks here.European Good=Aussie dead/slow.

I always back the outsider in a field with a lot of first up 2 year olds. It hardly ever works though.

This is just a few.

1. Ignore Hawkes in Melbourne. Anything with any talent goes to Sydney.

2. Second up syndrome. Know what it is and when it is likely to occur. Knowing who NOT to back is half the challenge.

3. Tim Martin horses first up - never after that.

4. Never back horses going up in distance when the difference is more than 25% of previous run. e.g, can back a horse going from 1600-2000 (difference is 400, 25% of 1600) but not from 1400-2000 (600 about 45% of 1400). Not a foolproof rule but will save you more often than not.

5. Know your apprentices! All very well backing a horse with 3 Kg less, but it can be 30 Kg and it won't matter with some of them.

6. Know your provincials. GENERAL rule (obviously exceptions).

Best: Cranbourne, Geelong, Werribee, Ballarat, Bendigo, Mornington. That is where the best trainers take their horses.

7. First up and second up records are critical.

8. Gauci can't ride anything except a front runner.

On the TAB formguide. Country meetings only. Work from the bottom up and select the first horse who has had a win at the same distance it is running today .1400-2200 metre races only. Actually works okay picked up a $19 touch the other day and various other big winners over the 12 or so months i have been using it.

What's everyones rules for Sportsbetting?

Home team favourites? For example, you would really back against West Coast in WA.

For those that are overseas and do in play.

Never Count A Home Team out of it when the away team down to < 1.05 even down to 1.01s.

Seen it happen so many times in bball and even cricket look at the aussies a couple times in the past year. Lay at them odds not much to lose and the home teams always a make a bit of rally for chance to lock in them profits.

Good point.

I had a punt on the West Indies (who are playing at home) against India in a one-day-international... starts 9pm tonight.

India are favourites, West Indies are paying $2.30 with TABonline.

Bestbets.com believes that West Indies will win, they are at home, that is why I have taken the punt.

Mr Crow! said:
Good point.

I had a punt on the West Indies (who are playing at home) against India in a one-day-international... starts 9pm tonight.

India are favourites, West Indies are paying $2.30 with TABonline.

Bestbets.com believes that West Indies will win, they are at home, that is why I have taken the punt.

Good luck Mr Crow!!!

But my point more was even if India have a great start and look unbeatable never back West Indies out of it because so many teams get rolled from that spot.

Hope the Windies win for you.

Thanks mate!

I am pretty much a newbie punter, stick mainly to sports betting.

I have staked $400 since December '05, and that has equated to over $4,600 worth of bets, however, unfortunately, most of my wins eventually cancel each other out, and now my bank is nearly gone.

Have been looking at multi's, as they only require a minimum bet of $3.

This isnt a bad place to start for a newbie,some decent,honest advice in this thread so far.As well as a few bizarre ones but that's all good too.

FYI,a little advice,do with it what you will

Its really about finding what works for you & what you enjoy.
Do your research,read all you can about what others are doing.
Theres lots of Punting Forums out there,good & bad.
It's as important to read the bad ones as the good,youll soon work out which is which.

Find/Develop a system thats been well trialled & adjust.adjust.adjust.
If you are serious about it,keep accurate records.
Be brave,youll win & lose but if youre doing it right,its a buzz.
If you hate it & its a stressful experience,you may as well stick to 9-5 job.

seth

Do some of you guys here actually make a living off sports betting? Sure, that is a dream, but I never thought people were able to give up their day job for it. Hopefully, I can be proven wrong! Well, yes, I *know* there are some mega players out there, but I assumed that they would be a vast vast minority.

bresker said:
I always back overseas imports having their first starts in Melbourne
Hope you were on Sadler's Girl at Ballarat today. Thought I would see if there was any interest and it was a well backed fave, so I had a good go on it. Noice.

Gee he was hard at it a long way out but once it started to travel,never in doubt,

seth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back