Prediction Your rd 1 team in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

It's quite hilarious that some people are saying CD are clueless because they don't have Tom Mitchell in their Top 10 players.

I would say it says far more about the Umpires...

Besides B Crouch this is pretty much the same team that led us to 12th this year. We need to look some new blood. Hoping Jones & McAdam & McHenry get games over Atkins, Mackay, Douglas etc. Gallucci & Fog need to become mainstays.

We also need to test ROB to see if he can take over from Jacobs and if not we need to go hard for one in 2019.
It's also close to the same team that lead us to a GF the year before. I think you're forgetting that most of that team wasn't playing together for the majority of the year. We've got a whole pre-season this time to get it right, hopefully they won't make the same mistakes as this year.

I may be alone on this but I would actually like to see Sloane head to the Wing this season. I think we needed him as an inside mid in years gone by but now with both Crouch’s playing in and under, Gibbs able to play any role, and guys like Gooch, Knight and Greenwood coming on we don’t necessarily need Sloane’s influence at the bottom of every pack.

Plus his natural game was always built on gut running, floating across packs for marks, and providing an attacking options anywhere from 60 out. Those are the traits of most great wingmen. The fact that he can play as an congested bull when needed is just a bonus and would make him very hard to stop for opposition wingers.

And giving his tagging issues it could be really beneficial, not often do you see wingmen getting tagged, and if they are it’s not really all that detrimental to are clearance structures.

I may be alone on this but I would actually like to see Sloane head to the Wing this season. I think we needed him as an inside mid in years gone by but now with both Crouch’s playing in and under, Gibbs able to play any role, and guys like Gooch, Knight and Greenwood coming on we don’t necessarily need Sloane’s influence at the bottom of every pack.

Plus his natural game was always built on gut running, floating across packs for marks, and providing an attacking options anywhere from 60 out. Those are the traits of most great wingmen. The fact that he can play as an congested bull when needed is just a bonus and would make him very hard to stop for opposition wingers.

And giving his tagging issues it could be really beneficial, not often do you see wingmen getting tagged, and if they are it’s not really all that detrimental to are clearance structures.
I would like us to run more midfielders through the team, using the flanks & having flexibility to change up during the game like the great Hawks & Cats sides did.

Sloane can be switched between inside & outside midfielder, HBF, HFF, etc as needed.. which should help shake any tag. Same goes for Gibbs & others.

That’s more or less how I see it, McHenry will have to supplant Knight in this team though which I would think would be hard.

I reckon it's quite likely we'd run both when both are fit. McHenry won't supplant Knight this season just due to Knight hitting some seriously good numbers defensively (Knight selection after all is based on how good he is defensively, in which he is hitting elite numbers from what we have), and having that second option at a similar defensive output (+ McAdams) would truly fix any pressure in forward 50 deficiencies we have.

Both are endurance freaks as well, so getting a small amount midfield minutes in either of them isn't out of the question as well.

F: Betts – Jenkins – McAdam

HF: Gallucci – Walker – Lynch

C: Seedsman – M. Crouch – Milera

HB: Laird – Keath – Smith

B: Doedee – Talia – Brown

Foll: Jacobs – Sloane – Gibbs

Interchange: B. Crouch – Knight – Greenwood – Atkins/Douglas/Jones/Fogarty

I expect Jones to play around 7-8 games on the wing/hff, McHenry 4-5 games, Hamill will probably follow the Doedee path with no games next year, maybe a handful in 2020 before pushing into the regular best 22. I hope that ROB gets at least 5 games but should be 8-10. I want to fit in Fogarty in, but I'm not sure how for team balance, probably plays 5-8 games. The race between Hartigan and Keath is tight, but I think Keath has the higher ceiling.

I firmly believe in the best team balance as opposed to picking the best talent / prospects short and long term. This seems to be the approach the crows are rolling with, so based on that - here is the Round 1 team based on picking a team including:
- 2 Tall, 2 Medium, 2 Small Forwards (inc. a support/emerg. ruck)
- 2 Tall, 2 Medium, 2 Small Backs.
- At Least 3 Outside Running Midfielders within the Midfield group (inc. Bench)
- At Least 3 Inside Midfielders within the Midfield group (inc. Bench)

FB: Brown / Talia / Doedee
HB: Smith / Keath / Laird
C: Milera / Sloane / Gibbs
HF: Lynch / Walker / Gallucci
FF: Betts / Jenkins / McAdam
FOLL: Jacobs / M Crouch / B Crouch

INT: Greenwood, Atkins, Fogarty, Seedsman,

EMERG/Next up: Hartigan, McHenry, Jones, Knight, Himmelberg, CEY

With Brad Crouch coming back, CEY is probably the one that slides down the pecking order - but he is a great backup option when Sloane/Crouch(x2) or Greenwood aren't available.

I think this year it's incredibly important that we get games into Himmelberg and Fogarty. That will be tough given we don't want to carry a top heavy Forward-line and if Jenkins, Walker and Lynch are fit then they play. I do think it's worth playing one off the bench. And I'm betting all three miss at least a couple weeks with injury this season, plus maybe we try and rotate/rest when possible.

I see Jones + McHenry both getting games in 2018, then doubling those games in 2019 - maybe 6-8 each in 2019 then 12-16 in 2020?

We need to get at least a couple games into ROB throughout the year. No way Jacobs can play 22+Finals moving forward, he is a durable machine but we will destroy him if we try. I'd try and get 4-5 games into ROB prior to finals when possible.

I think Hartigan should only be used for cover. He isn't good enough to play in our best 22. Keath at least hasn't reached his ceiling yet, so best to persist with him.

Bottom line is : Realistically Jacobs Walker, Betts, Lynch, Sloane, B Crouch, Smith, Talia will all miss games in 2019 (based on previous injury history but we should try to be ready with Plan B's for each position so as to maintain balance and also get games into the right guys.

For example;
If Jacobs is out - In comes ROB
If Walker is out - In comes Fogarty/Himmelberg
If Betts is out - In comes McHenry / Stengle
If Lynch is out - In comes Fogarty / McAdam(if not already in)
If Sloane/B Crouch is out - if Inside mid is req. - CEY if Outside is req. - Jones/McHenry
If Smith is out - Milera/Seedsman shuffled round - Bring in Jones/McHenry
If Talia is out - Bring in Hartigan

My attempt:

Def:
Brown - Talia - Laird
Smith - Hartigan - Doedee

Mid:
Seedsman - Jacobs - Gibbs
B. Crouch - M. Crouch - Sloane

Forward:
Gallucci - Walker - Knight
Betts - Jenkins - Lynch

Bench:
Douglas - Milera - Atkins - Greenwood

Depth/Form:
-Kelly, Keath, Otten
-CEY
-Murphy, Fog

Our best-22 still looks pretty good on paper. Not to sure on the new guys and how they will fit in next year. Hopefully some of our young players will step up and demand a spot next season.

Best 22 looks quality. My biggest concern is Sauce and how well he can get around the ground next season. Clearly 2018 was a tough year for him, and there were times he should have had a fork stuck in him. If he's going to continue to tap the ball to his feet, he really needs to get mobile to justify his inclusion.

Fog is also in the mix for mine. Looks to have lots some puppy fat and just love what his aggression brings to the side.

Last edited:
Something slightly different.

Doodee - Talia - Laird
Smith - Keath - Sloane
Seedsman - Crouch - Gibbs
Knight - Walker - Lynch
Gallucci - Jenkins - Betts

Jacobs - Milera - Crouch

Interchange
1 of Atkins/Brown/McPherson/Hamill/Kelly/Scholl/Mckay/
1 of Fogarty/Himmelberg/Hartigan/Butts/Otten/
1 of Murphy/Poholke/McHenry/McAdam/Stengle/Davis
1 of Greenwood/Jones/Douglas/CEY/Wilson

O'Brien/Hunter/Strachan
List is looking pretty balance.
Draft a beast midfielder and KPP and trade for a ruck.

I reckon with the choices they've made they are confident of getting Lukosius back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

our backline looks like a real strength for the next few years. their ability to withstand inside 50s and rebound effectively will set us up for a flag assault.

i just hope we don't set up to zone off and allow quick transition joe the goose goals. if so we need the right person on the last line. luke brown is an option who is always reliable to stop a player getting free for an easy goal.

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/af...club-s-list?station=adelaide&geoRedirect=true

For what it's worth if you take any stock in Champion Data numbers

Midfield feels a tad high, and also it does beg the question of how much does Champion data take into account for the previous seasons (i.e. 2015-2017 in which it'd have to take some stock in). Still though, it does bode well for arguing that 2018 was an outlier year which is the key point. Equally another point would be stability of a side as a team decimated by injuries would end up ranking worse in any statistical analysis due to using more players.

Of course, there is always the point of best list /= premierships as well and that there is a chance that the difference between 1 and lets say 12-13 is rather minute making this power ranking not have as much meaning as it could have.

Last edited:
FB: Brown Talia Doedee
HB: Laird Keath Smith
C: Milera M Crouch Sloane
HF: Lynch Walker Knight
FF: Betts Jenkins Fogarty
R: Jacobs Gibbs B Crouch
INT: Greenwood Seedsman
Atkins Gallucci
Emer: Douglas Kelly McHenry Mackay

Hey guys was wondering if you're likely to keep Knight in the team as a tagger?

In 2018 you guys tagged at times and let opposition mids run free too. Are you likely to keep a player as a negating role or adopt the Geelong approach of not tagging because you're confident of your mids head to head?

In 2018 you guys tagged at times and let opposition mids run free too. Are you likely to keep a player as a negating role or adopt the Geelong approach of not tagging because you're confident of your mids head to head?

Hopefully Knight is fit and able to do that role as needed. I doubt he will be asked to do it every week. But certain games and also when an oppo mid gets off the chain. Just my opinion though, no idea what will actually happen.

We haven’t really had a chance to see what our preferred midfield structure is as we haven’t had them all together even once yet. Brad Crouch hasn’t played with Gibbs. Knight gets injured a lot and when he comes back he is very slow to get back to his best. But his best is best 22 I think.

He'll spend more time as a small forward, but will get the tagging job occasionally (I.e. Joel Selwood)

Ok, so it's been a slow news day at work (ergo, I CBF doing anything) and so I decided to look through our list and come up with a best 22 for the AFL side, as well as what the SANFL side would look like, should we have zero injuries.

upload_2018-12-12_14-22-7.png
AFL Side:

- Gibbs pushed to FWD third given the return of Brouch, although the argument could be put forth for Rat to make way, however, as much of a whipping boy he has become, his best football offers so much on a wing when allowed time and space.
- Milera pushed to the bench by Smithers, however with rotations, that back third looks extremely damaging
- Galucci makes my team, although this time last year I had written him off. He showed glimspes of an AFL player although worry about his foot injury.
- That bench looks good with flexibility across the board.
- I could not leave Fogarty out and he is one I am most looking forward to seeing his progression this year. If any of the glimpses of pre-sesaon pics go, I think he is in for a monster year.
- Without doubt, our best 22 is as good as any in the comp

SANFL Side:
- Cannot wait to see what the new guys can do.
- If we have minimal injuries to the midfield I suspect CEY will go close to taking home the Magarey (umpire bias aside)

All in all, if these kids that are picked show what they are capable of, we are set for now and in to the future, especially with the picks we have next year from Carlton (assuming they will be sh!t)

What this excercise has shown me is we have some impressive depth and our list is primed to make another charge up the ladder.

Our list profile is in the window:

upload_2018-12-12_14-36-47.png

So, at the end of the year, we will have 24 players in the 50+ games played bracket which shows depth, and with some players in the 0-50 bracket showing large amounts of potential, we look good.

Get on board!

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-12_14-35-33.png
    upload_2018-12-12_14-35-33.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 10
the argument could be put forth for Rat to make way, however, as much of a whipping boy he has become, his best football offers so much on a wing when allowed time and space.
- Milera pushed to the bench by Smithers

IMO it is unlikely that Atkins makes the starting 18 ahead of Milera.

Gibbs pushed to FWD third given the return of Brouch

Reasonable, but I think that McAdam may stake a claim for that forward spot. Perhaps McAdam for the bench, Gibbs FWD, Milera on the wing, all three rotating between these positions.

Maybe. IMO it is a good sign to have tough decisions such as these.

IMO it is unlikely that Atkins makes the starting 18 ahead of Milera.

Reasonable, but I think that McAdam may stake a claim for that forward spot. Perhaps McAdam for the bench, Gibbs FWD, Milera on the wing, all three rotating between these positions.

Maybe. IMO it is a good sign to have tough decisions such as these.

Atkins v Milera I agree, however with benches and rotations, the bench isn't what it used to be and I would expect Milera to be on ground 80% of the game anyways.

McAdam is the unknown at this point and is hard to predict without any known AFL form. If he cracks the round 1 side when there are no injuries then we will have a beauty on our hands. If so, who misses out?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ok, so it's been a slow news day at work (ergo, I CBF doing anything) and so I decided to look through our list and come up with a best 22 for the AFL side, as well as what the SANFL side would look like, should we have zero injuries.

View attachment 594638
AFL Side:

- Gibbs pushed to FWD third given the return of Brouch, although the argument could be put forth for Rat to make way, however, as much of a whipping boy he has become, his best football offers so much on a wing when allowed time and space.
- Milera pushed to the bench by Smithers, however with rotations, that back third looks extremely damaging
- Galucci makes my team, although this time last year I had written him off. He showed glimspes of an AFL player although worry about his foot injury.
- That bench looks good with flexibility across the board.
- I could not leave Fogarty out and he is one I am most looking forward to seeing his progression this year. If any of the glimpses of pre-sesaon pics go, I think he is in for a monster year.
- Without doubt, our best 22 is as good as any in the comp

SANFL Side:
- Cannot wait to see what the new guys can do.
- If we have minimal injuries to the midfield I suspect CEY will go close to taking home the Magarey (umpire bias aside)

All in all, if these kids that are picked show what they are capable of, we are set for now and in to the future, especially with the picks we have next year from Carlton (assuming they will be sh!t)

What this excercise has shown me is we have some impressive depth and our list is primed to make another charge up the ladder.

Our list profile is in the window:

View attachment 594646

So, at the end of the year, we will have 24 players in the 50+ games played bracket which shows depth, and with some players in the 0-50 bracket showing large amounts of potential, we look good.

Get on board!
Surely Douglas cracks the sanfl team lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back