Prediction Your rd 1 team in 2019

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Fair effort, Just go Knight for Douglas and you've covered well everything seeing a mixture of age on Douglas's half and Knight is easily our best pressure forward and therefore is in permanent marker when fit.

Knight offers too little offensively. He shouldn't be in the best 22.

All sides need very strong defensive smalls if they want to win a premiership (probably need 2 actually), and Knight is the best defensive small forward we have. After all defensive smalls are fast becoming the most important piece in a defensive set up, as it allows a side to reliably trap their opposition in their d50. Which is the best position to defend from.

For a small forward, offense is really in the "it's nice to have, but isn't make or break".

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
All sides need very strong defensive smalls if they want to win a premiership (probably need 2 actually), and Knight is the best defensive small forward we have. After all defensive smalls are fast becoming the most important piece in a defensive set up, as it allows a side to reliably trap their opposition in their d50. Which is the best position to defend from.

For a small forward, offense is really in the "it's nice to have, but isn't make or break".

I'd groom Murphy for that role, Knight is a great tagger, but he's slow and a limited footballer. Murphy has kicked a few bags in his short career and has decent speed. Knight for me is in for tagging Selwood or other slow midfielders but that's about it.

Having said that, I acknowledge his attitude is great and he is one of those footballers who's teammates love playing with.

I'd groom Murphy for that role, Knight is a great tagger, but he's slow and a limited footballer. Murphy has kicked a few bags in his short career and has decent speed. Knight for me is in for tagging Selwood or other slow midfielders but that's about it.

Having said that, I acknowledge his attitude is great and he is one of those footballers who's teammates love playing with.

I appreciate your thoughts here, but this one is off the mark. Knight is not slow, not lightning but he’s probably quicker than Murphy.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
From what I can gather, wouldn’t be surprised to see this:

B: Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Smith, Keath, Laird
C: Milera, Sloane, Seedsman
HF: Jones, Walker, Lynch
F: Betts, Jenkins, Gallucci
R: Jacobs, Brouch, Mrouch
I/C: Greenwood, Atkins, Gibbs, Fogarty
Em: ROB, McHenry, Mackay, Kelly

Put Otten in for Talia if he’s not up to fitness

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows

Ummmm.....No

LittleCrowBoy

All Australian
Mar 4, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
From what I can gather, wouldn’t be surprised to see this:

B: Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Smith, Keath, Laird
C: Milera, Sloane, Seedsman
HF: Jones, Walker, Lynch
F: Betts, Jenkins, Gallucci
R: Jacobs, Brouch, Mrouch
I/C: Greenwood, Atkins, Gibbs, Fogarty
Em: ROB, McHenry, Mackay, Kelly

Put Otten in for Talia if he’s not up to fitness
I’d be rapt to see that team run onto the MCG late September.
Perhaps add Knight for defensive presure....but it’s hard to see who you would drop.
Very different selection headache to be had this year compared to last :)

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
I’d be rapt to see that team run onto the MCG late September.
Perhaps add Knight for defensive presure....but it’s hard to see who you would drop.
Very different selection headache to be had this year compared to last :)
Knight is in my best 22 fully fit, probably at the expense of Fog to provide some added defensive pressure, but I just can't at the moment given his injury history (and his current injury, don't think he's ready for round 1 honestly)

LittleCrowBoy

All Australian
Mar 4, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Knight is in my best 22 fully fit, probably at the expense of Fog to provide some added defensive pressure, but I just can't at the moment given his injury history (and his current injury, don't think he's ready for round 1 honestly)
Yes...i agree. Great looking side.
I love the fact that Fog ...at some point...is going to tear a game to shreds. Everyone in the footy world will go ....WTF !!!! ...its great having a young player with that potential....and having to "squeeze" him into the side :)

Oct 8, 2012
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Sturt
Yes...i agree. Great looking side.
I love the fact that Fog ...at some point...is going to tear a game to shreds. Everyone in the footy world will go ....WTF !!!! ...its great having a young player with that potential....and having to "squeeze" him into the side :)
And you know with him it’s not just going to be kicking 6 against the Blues. It’s going to be in a game that matters

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

Knights best and most natural role is as a defensive mid IMO

Did some great tagging jobs last year, I loved his work on J Selwood in particular

the question is unless we tag an opposition mid each week does he have a 2nd role in the team?

Did some great tagging jobs last year, I loved his work on J Selwood in particular

the question is unless we tag an opposition mid each week does he have a 2nd role in the team?
He's quite comfortable playing as a defensive forward on an oppositions most dangerous backman or as a hard running wingman.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 5.01.37 pm.png

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers

Couldn't agree more

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
He's quite comfortable playing as a defensive forward on an oppositions most dangerous backman or as a hard running wingman.

I understand that however traditionally our game has been more reliant on a total team defense approach instead of 1-2 players playing defensive roles

I understand that however traditionally our game has been more reliant on a total team defense approach instead of 1-2 players playing defensive roles
Which he is also capable of doing...

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't care what our round 1 team is. I care what our GF team is. 2019 is our year. No teams are better than ours if we can put it together on the park.

I'm pretty sick and tired of being reamed by the afl as well, 17 frees to 1 by Troy pannell against us and he's allowed to umpire finals matches against us? He's a cheat. The whole comp is corrupt. If we don't get a the premiership this yr the afl can gagf. I won't be watching as many games this year. Certainly not the "vicco blockbusters like Carlton vs collingwood" etc.

And to post a few videos to get the outrage out of my system and in to yours and I think should be shown to the players to show what they are up against whether they want to acknowledge it or not, the vicco cheating is real, I will post a link from a comme t with some relevant videos I found to disprove all those claims that the viccos would rather the crows than another Victorian side beating their Victorian side in a gf..

[/QUOTE]

We have Taylor walker, all Australian captain, loved by his peers and opposition supporters alike (lol) unarguably, the peoples champ.

We've been robbed in finals against hawks by the umps in a prelim, we have been robbed on finals against Collingwood with a BS free after the siren to hand the win to the pies. We are beaten in to the ground but we always get back up.

We have had a lot of adversity and ridicule, all while losing players like clangerfield, Gunston, tippet, Charlie Cameron, lever, bock, and many more "A" grade players, tragically lost our coach to being murdered by his own son, and tragically lost one of our assistant coaches in Dean bailey. All while still making a GF against all odds and being reamed by the umps in the first half, and ridiculed by the vicco supporters. Do we have a chip on our shoulder? Yeah a little bit.

We are an interstate side. Victorians don't want to acknowledge us, but we arent going away. They will cheat with fixturing, with umpiring and In finals to stop us winning another GF. We need to be a 5 goal better side to win a GF away from home. Because of the cheating umps. This song below shows how much the viccos don't want us winning one again. And the video below that will show how the game is umpired differently for us compared to the opposition to manufacture wins for vicco teams.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't care what our round 1 team is. I care what our GF team is. 2019 is our year. No teams are better than ours if we can put it together on the park.

I'm pretty sick and tired of being reamed by the afl as well, 17 frees to 1 by Troy pannell against us and he's allowed to umpire finals matches against us? He's a cheat. The whole comp is corrupt. If we don't get a the premiership this yr the afl can gagf. I won't be watching as many games this year. Certainly not the "vicco blockbusters like Carlton vs collingwood" etc.

And to post a few videos to get the outrage out of my system and in to yours and I think should be shown to the players to show what they are up against whether they want to acknowledge it or not, the vicco cheating is real, I will post a link from a comme t with some relevant videos I found to disprove all those claims that the viccos would rather the crows than another Victorian side beating their Victorian side in a gf..

[/QUOTE]

How many supporters from most club say if our team puts it on the park they are the best, only one team ATM has the right to say that and they blue and gold with Nic Nat and Gaff coming back into an extremely strong team whom missed the GF, would you rather Smith and Crouch or Nic Nat and Gaff coming back in and they are currently the best team??????

Big Dub

All Australian
Feb 8, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

How many supporters from most club say if our team puts it on the park they are the best, only one team ATM has the right to say that and they blue and gold with Nic Nat and Gaff coming back into an extremely strong team whom missed the GF, would you rather Smith and Crouch or Nic Nat and Gaff coming back in and they are currently the best team??????[/QUOTE]
Given the amount of persistent injuries we had last season, the difference between 2018 and 2019 will be more than just smith and brouch back.

Just like a handful of other teams, if most things go well we are a contender. Don't think any team, including the eagles, can ask for more than that.

Sure, if most things don't go well (like 2018 injuries), we won't be a contender.

Either could happen but, as I can't control it anyway, I'm going to hope for things going well rather than fear things not going well.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
How many supporters from most club say if our team puts it on the park they are the best, only one team ATM has the right to say that and they blue and gold with Nic Nat and Gaff coming back into an extremely strong team whom missed the GF, would you rather Smith and Crouch or Nic Nat and Gaff coming back in and they are currently the best team??????
Given the amount of persistent injuries we had last season, the difference between 2018 and 2019 will be more than just smith and brouch back.

Just like a handful of other teams, if most things go well we are a contender. Don't think any team, including the eagles, can ask for more than that.

Sure, if most things don't go well (like 2018 injuries), we won't be a contender.

Either could happen but, as I can't control it anyway, I'm going to hope for things going well rather than fear things not going well.[/QUOTE]

everyone hopes we will be better

But as it stands the eagles look impressive with winning the flag with their BEST two players out of the team

We finished 12th

Big Dub

All Australian
Feb 8, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

Either could happen but, as I can't control it anyway, I'm going to hope for things going well rather than fear things not going well.

everyone hopes we will be better

But as it stands the eagles look impressive with winning the flag with their BEST two players out of the team

We finished 12th[/QUOTE]
I don't think 2018 is a true reflection of the quality of our list, provided most things go well.

We finished 12th when a hell of a lot went wrong. West Coast were premiers when most things went well. Richmond looked impressive heading into (and during most of) 2018, but didn't win it.

We finished 2nd the year before when most things (except the game that mattered) went well.

History says that West Coat likely won't go back to back. History says we likely won't have as much go wrong as in 2018.

As long as most things go well, I bet we will be contenders.

As far as pure improvement goes, I would say the Crows are more likely to beat 12 games with Brouch and Smith back, than west coast are to beat 16 games with Gaff and Nic Nat back. But I don't care so much about improvement so much as being a contender.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
What is this? If Jenkins is sawn in half at a major show and we decide the slow, kick-it-sideways default setting of Kelly are First XXII qualities?
:D Only bite I got:

No: Jenkins, Jacobs, Douglas or MacKay in that line-up

Would replace Kelly with Fogarty

Back