Greenwood ~ Milera ~ Atkins
Knight

Depth:
CEY, Mackay, Hartigan, Obrien, Douglas, Murphy, Jones, Otten, Poholke

Hope to see good form once in SANFL:
McHenry, Davis, Himmelburg, McPherson, Stengle, McAdam, Hamill

Injured:
Brown

. His inadequacies won't be tolerated by Pyke with 6 6 6 coming into play. I expect ROB and Jenkins to ruck on a 60/40 split
I wish that were true. Jacobs has got a gold pass until he gets injured beyond the point of walking. Why? Because the AFC has not acquired a mature ruck replacement in our window. Gees I hope I'm wrong but I think our Achilles heal this year will be our inability to win centre clearances. The signs are on the wall already. 1 more half decent year out of Jacobs is all we can hope for.

I wish that were true. Jacobs has got a gold pass until he gets injured beyond the point of walking. Why? Because the AFC has not acquired a mature ruck replacement in our window. Gees I hope I'm wrong but I think our Achilles heal this year will be our inability to win centre clearances. The signs are on the wall already. 1 more half decent year out of Jacobs is all we can hope for.
I honestly can't see Don and co continually picking Jacob's if he is getting smashed in the middle which he most likely will based on last years performances. Having watched Jacob's closely over the last 12 months he simply lacks pace, looks tired, can't jump at centre bounce, doesn't chase, rarely takes contested marks, plays with a lack of urgency and goes through the motions a lot of the time. The argument that we have no one else is total bullshit. Do you think Blight would have run with that crap? We need to find a better solution and fast. We do have ROB, Jenkins, Hunter, Himmelberg on our list. TBH I would prefer Greenwood to ruck over Jacob's. I have nothing against Jacob's personally but everything against something that will potentially rob us of a top 4 spot and a possible flag. It isn't Jacob's fault that the club has not put a lot of importance on a dominant ruck in previous years but with the introduction of 666 more should have been done in the trade period to rectify the situation if the club didn't believe ROB or another option on our list was the answer.

Last edited:
I honestly can't see Don and co continually picking Jacob's if he is getting smashed in the middle which he most likely will based on last years performances. Have watched Jacob's closely over the last 12 months he simply lacks pace, looks tired, can't jump at centre bounce, doesn't chase, rarely takes contested marks, plays with a lack of urgency and goes through the motions a lot of the time. The argument that we have no one else is total bullshit. Do you think Blight would have run with that crap? We need to find a better solution and fast. We do have ROB, Jenkins, Hunter, Himmelberg on our list. TBH I would prefer Greenwood to ruck over Jacob's. I have nothing against Jacob's personally but everything against something that will potentially rob us of a top 4 spot and a possible flag. It isn't Jacob's fault that the club has not put a lot of importance on a dominant ruck in previous years but with the introduction of 666 more should have been done in the trade period to rectify the situation if the club didn't believe ROB or another option on our list was the answer.

based on last years performances, like you did with Jacobs, what do you and Don think of Eddie

Looks like the 2 key backs for R1 will be Talia and Hartigan. Both Otten and Keath are playing in the SANFL trial instead of the JLT. Mackay and Greenwood are also playing in the SANFL trial, so I'd lock in Kelly for the Brown role and not expect Greenwood to play R1.

Galucci isn't playing in either game (still coming back from a foot injury), so you can also rule him out of R1, along with Poholke (dropped to the SANFL trial). Chayce Jones will play JLT2, so you'd think it's coming down to him and Murphy for a small forward spot in R1.

JLT2 ins: Talia, Gibbs (not sure on the 3rd in)
Outs: Poholke, Otten, Keath

My updated side:

B: Laird, Talia, Doedee
HB: Smith, Hartigan, Milera
C: Atkins, Sloane, Gibbs
HF: Douglas, Walker, Knight
F: Betts, Jenkins, Lynch
R: Jacobs, B. Crouch, M. Crouch
I/C: Jones/Murphy, Mackay, Seedsman, Kelly

With Hugh & Keath in the SANFL trial and Gallucci not playing at all this week, here's what I think R1 will be:

Jake Kelly, Daniel Talia, Tom Doedee
Rory Laird, Kyle Hartigan, Brodie Smith
Wayne Milera, Rory Sloane, Paul Seedsman
Rory Atkins, Taylor Walker, Tom Lynch
Eddie Betts, Josh Jenkins, Riley Knight
Sam Jacobs, Matt Crouch, Bryce Gibbs
Brad Crouch, Richard Douglas, 2 of Chayce Jones, Lachie Murphy, & CEY

With Hugh & Keath in the SANFL trial and Gallucci not playing at all this week, here's what I think R1 will be:

Agree with that, wouldn't rule out Greenwood in place of CEY in the mix but think he will spend a week or 2 longer building match fitness.
Murphy will play from that squad. id say more 2 of Douglas, CEY and Jones and likely bring it to 1 of Jones/CEY
would like that to be Jones but will depend on if they want the extra bigger body

I think there's still a chance that Fogarty gets a game. So your side, but 2 of Fogarty, Jones, Murphy and CEY miss out.

Laird Talia Doedee
Smith Hartigan Milera
Atkins Matt Seeds
Knight Tex Lynch
Betts Jenkins Murphy

Jacobs Sloane Brad

Gibbs Douglas Fog Kelly

Only possible changes I can see:

Jones for Murphy
CEY for Fog

Personally I would have CEY before Douglas if they want to play Fog

Greenwood not ready yet

Laird Talia Doedee
Smith Hartigan Milera
Atkins Matt Seeds
Knight Tex Lynch
Betts Jenkins Murphy

Jacobs Sloane Brad

Gibbs Douglas Fog Kelly

Only possible changes I can see:

Jones for Murphy
CEY for Fog

Personally I would have CEY before Douglas if they want to play Fog

Greenwood not ready yet

match ups will be interesting

Bruest Roughie Gunston AND POOP are the key ones, bruest could be the most difficult being their leading goal kicker, talia obviously gets Roughie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

match ups will be interesting

Bruest Roughie Gunston AND POOP are the key ones, bruest could be the most difficult being their leading goal kicker, talia obviously gets Roughie
Roughie Talia
Poppy Laird
Breust Kelly
Gunston Hartigan

Kelly - Talia - Doedee
Smith - Keath - Laird
Seedsman - Mrouch - Atkins
Knight - Tex - Lynch
Betts - Jenkins - Jones
ROB - Sloane - Brouch
Gibbs - Milera - Otten - CEY

Would be my round 1. I'm aware Otten is a good candidate for the axe, but I really hate the idea of sending a 2nd year rookie in as a swingman, seems like a perfect way to mess someone up. CEY for greenwood, Jones gets a pressure role in the forward line until Gallucci is fit, but by then Knight will be injured. Would go ROB over Jacobs, as both are going to be poor so may as well go with the one who has a shot at being league average in the second half of the season. Finally would opt for Keath over Hartigan because Kyle is just a bit too much of a liability.

Interesting you put a guy lucky to make the best 22 on their leading goal kicker you must have a lot of faith
and Laird prefers to play loose Poppy wont allow that

Better Laird then Smith, or Milera.

Just listened to campos press conference from today

Most interesting part was re Jones. After saying we wanted to go full dress rehursal and play only 22-23 players he also says that Jones will get gamete and more than last week. That suggests he is clearly in the frame to get a game.

Seemed a wrap on Murphy too

As expected confirmed that Sauce is ahead of Obrien and done expect to see Obrien play tomorrow unless sauce needs to be managed

Interesting you put a guy lucky to make the best 22 on their leading goal kicker you must have a lot of faith
and Laird prefers to play loose Poppy wont allow that
Kelly isn’t a bad defender and looked in good form on the weekend. We’ve earmarked him to replace Brown and seeing as Brown isn’t available he takes Breust. With Brown playing Kelly would miss because we’ve got a strong defence when all are fit.

Laird defends and plays loose, that’s what makes him such a good player. Laird won’t be able to play the year without an opponent so he’s going to have a player he needs to defend every week, poppy is no exception.

Kelly isn’t a bad defender and looked in good form on the weekend. We’ve earmarked him to replace Brown and seeing as Brown isn’t available he takes Breust. With Brown playing Kelly would miss because we’ve got a strong defence when all are fit.

Laird defends and plays loose, that’s what makes him such a good player. Laird won’t be able to play the year without an opponent so he’s going to have a player he needs to defend every week, poppy is no exception.
You do realise bruest kicked the most goals for the hawks last year slightly ahead of gunston

Surely those to command the attention of our best one on ones

Are you saying Kelly is our number 1 if brown is injured

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

You do realise bruest kicked the most goals for the hawks last year slightly ahead of gunston

Surely those to command the attention of our best one on ones

Are you saying Kelly is our number 1 if brown is injured

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Marty how about you make a suggestion as to who covers Breust.

And I actually think Kelly given his size will match up pretty well on Breust given our first choice in Brown is injured.

Marty how about you make a suggestion as to who covers Breust.

And I actually think Kelly given his size will match up pretty well on Breust given our first choice in Brown is injured.

Looking at match ups

Talia to take Roughie
Harto on Gunston
Doedee on Bruest (Everyone rates doedee so highly although I believe he struggles to defend one on one as is written)
Milera on Poppy (Cant afford to lose Lairds drive

Looking at match ups

Talia to take Roughie
Harto on Gunston
Doedee on Bruest (Everyone rates doedee so highly although I believe he struggles to defend one on one as is written)
Who plays on their resting ruckman?
Hartigan or Keath

Doedee on Gunston.

Kelly our best lockdown player on a small/mid on their dangerous Breust.

Looking at match ups

Talia to take Roughie
Harto on Gunston
So you’d want to rob the backline of Doedees strength to play a pure defensive role so we free up Kelly to do what?

Doedees strength is his intercepting and it’s the role the club wants him to play. This was covered in one of his recent interviews which I’m sure you read. The club wants him as that in between defender where he wins the ball and dishes out to our runners in Smith and Milera. Something he does very well and has AFL greats like Dunstall and Blight acknowledging. It also got him second in the rising star award and the U23 All Australian team. By the way Burton struggled more one on one last year as it was written.

Kelly’s strength is more as the dower shut down defender.

Laird is a better defender than Milera and can defend and attack. Milera has played defence for half a year and you’d rather he was freed up more to attack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back