Prediction Your rd 1 team in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Who plays on their resting ruckman?
Hartigan or Keath

Doedee on Gunston.

Kelly our best lockdown player on a small/mid on their dangerous Breust.

I like Kelly he has his limitations, but most on this board don't think he is even top 22 material yet you say he is the best lockdown player we have

And yes if Doedee is going to take his game to the next level he needs to start standing the games best, like Don has made Harto do, in placing him against Danger,Dusty,Gray,Patton and he equipped himself more than well, harto is still a very good lockdown player capable of tall or small again like Kelly he has limitations but we haven't got the cap room to have a Rance playing in that position, for what harto would be on he is good value.

So you’d want to rob the backline of Doedees strength to play a pure defensive role so we free up Kelly to do what?

Doedees strength is his intercepting and it’s the role the club wants him to play. This was covered in one of his recent interviews which I’m sure you read. The club wants him as that in between defender where he wins the ball and dishes out to our runners in Smith and Milera. Something he does very well and has AFL greats like Dunstall and Blight acknowledging. It also got him second in the rising star award and the U23 All Australian team. By the way Burton struggled more one on one last year as it was written.

Kelly’s strength is more as the dower shut down defender.

Laird is a better defender than Milera and can defend and attack. Milera has played defence for half a year and you’d rather he was freed up more to attack.

You keep coming back to burton watch his career don't be too concerned with it he plays for the opposition

Lairds rebound was one of the main attacking avenues, far greater than what Milera can offer at this moment in time, Milera will develop but getting the ball to laird is an absolute must

AS for doedee most don't rate Kelly at all, so to send him to the slaughter against the comps best and see them destroy us is ridiculous if doedee is a champ as you suggested play him against those best players as they need to be controlled and it appears most do not rate Kelly at all so why let the best forwards run wild.

You keep coming back to burton watch his career don't be too concerned with it he plays for the opposition

Lairds rebound was one of the main attacking avenues, far greater than what Milera can offer at this moment in time, Milera will develop but getting the ball to laird is an absolute must

AS for doedee most don't rate Kelly at all, so to send him to the slaughter against the comps best and see them destroy us is ridiculous if doedee is a champ as you suggested play him against those best players as they need to be controlled and it appears most do not rate Kelly at all so why let the best forwards run wild.
I come back to Burton because he’s behind your opinion of Doedee, what you criticise Doedee about you ignore about Burton, which makes you a hypocrite.

You don’t understand the make up of our defence do you?

Talia KPD stopper.
Hartigan KPD and small stopper.
Brown small stopper.
Kelly small to midsize stopper.

These guys get the one on one jobs. They don’t have the creative roles in our defence.

Kelly isn’t not rated because he can’t defend it’s because he provides little offensively and is a concern with the ball. Hence with Brown out he plays that stopper role.

Laird is so good because he does both.

Milera and Smith are our running types who you want freed up.

Doedee is our intercept defender. You don’t want him playing a defensive shut down role, because that takes away a strength and *s up our balance. He wins the ball and feeds Milera and Smith.

If you are still uncertain watch Doedee without your Burton goggles on.

Marty how about you make a suggestion as to who covers Breust.

And I actually think Kelly given his size will match up pretty well on Breust given our first choice in Brown is injured.

Breust will kick a bag on us regardless. He's torched both Brown and Smith in the past. I don't think we show him enough respect.

I wonder if there is a persistence with Harto as he is a better natural KPD stopper against big guys than Keath. Although Keath has improved in this regard a little bit.

With 666 and a few more teams playing 2 Rucks, being able to stop big forwards one on one will be important.

Especially when your Ruck is struggling to help your midfielders......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I wonder if there is a persistence with Harto as he is a better natural KPD stopper against big guys than Keath. Although Keath has improved in this regard a little bit.

With 666 and a few more teams playing 2 Rucks, being able to stop big forwards one on one will be important.

Especially when your Ruck is struggling to help your midfielders......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Harto definetly has the runs on the board in beating quality opponents that really cant be argued, but he is really only a stopper

I like Kelly he has his limitations, but most on this board don't think he is even top 22 material yet you say he is the best lockdown player we have

And yes if Doedee is going to take his game to the next level he needs to start standing the games best, like Don has made Harto do, in placing him against Danger,Dusty,Gray,Patton and he equipped himself more than well, harto is still a very good lockdown player capable of tall or small again like Kelly he has limitations but we haven't got the cap room to have a Rance playing in that position, for what harto would be on he is good value.
Would you prefer to play Kelly to his strengths as a lockdown player so Smith, Milera & Laird can be more offensive or play him in an unsuited attacking role & waste one of our quality attacking players in a lockdown role?

Fortunately Pyke believes in playing players to their strengths!

You obviously don't watch the crows. Jacob's finished 16th best ruckman last year out of 18. We should have been working on a trade for a young athletic ruck in the Grundy mold 18 months ago. Jacob's was destroyed on numerous occasions last year and looks worse this year. His inadequacies won't be tolerated by Pyke with 6 6 6 coming into play. I expect ROB and Jenkins to ruck on a 60/40 split.

I tend to agree, I think we’ve put too much faith in Jacobs, who at the best of the times is a lumbering dinosaur, and O’Brien who’s a slightly more athletic, yet almost carbon copy for Jacobs. I suspect Jacobs will improve on last years performance, but I’m just not sure O’Brien quite has it. I suspect he may become a solid AFL ruckman, but kind of feel like we’ve settled a bit with that being okay and put ruck in the “too hard” basket.

For mine we should have been going gung ho for Preuss, maybe we were, but it’d surprise if he chose Melbourne over us given obvious opportunities if we’d offered a decent contract/coin.

The other one that worried me at the time and only got worse in 2018 was ignoring the opportunity to get Aaron Francis home. We’d just lost Lever, now whilst Doedee has come on well, it was a risk not bringing in an equally talented like for like who was going relatively cheep. Plus I’m sure we could have fit Doedee and Francis in the same side.

Our list management worries me a touch at the moment. I think the talent we identify tends to be pretty good, but I think we sometimes ignore the obvious choice, almost because that would be too easy/mainstream. We seemed to double down on the “best available” philosophy drafting 2 small mid/forwards, despite grabbing Stengle and McAdam during trade period and having Murphy/Gallucci +/- Poholke/Davisalready fighting it out for small-medium forward cum midfielder spots. Now we have a glut of talent in that position. None are necessarily bad selections in isolation, but from the overall list management perspective? A little questionable.

Will be interesting, I hope Jacobs rebounds, like he has done before, but there’s a definite concern long term,

There is a development angle to playing Doedee on Breuest.

It’s round one at home vs Hawthorn who are missing Mitchell and probably Wingard. Let’s give Doedee an opportunity to prove himself.

It’s round one at home vs Hawthorn who are missing Mitchell and probably Wingard. Let’s give Doedee an opportunity to prove himself.
Prove himself to who?

The coaches will give us the best opportunity of winning by structuring our defence with their preferred structure. They won’t go into the game thinking “Mitchell and Wingard aren’t playing, let’s experiment!”

I tend to agree, I think we’ve put too much faith in Jacobs, who at the best of the times is a lumbering dinosaur, and O’Brien who’s a slightly more athletic, yet almost carbon copy for Jacobs. I suspect Jacobs will improve on last years performance, but I’m just not sure O’Brien quite has it. I suspect he may become a solid AFL ruckman, but kind of feel like we’ve settled a bit with that being okay and put ruck in the “too hard” basket.

For mine we should have been going gung ho for Preuss, maybe we were, but it’d surprise if he chose Melbourne over us given obvious opportunities if we’d offered a decent contract/coin.

The other one that worried me at the time and only got worse in 2018 was ignoring the opportunity to get Aaron Francis home. We’d just lost Lever, now whilst Doedee has come on well, it was a risk not bringing in an equally talented like for like who was going relatively cheep. Plus I’m sure we could have fit Doedee and Francis in the same side.

Our list management worries me a touch at the moment. I think the talent we identify tends to be pretty good, but I think we sometimes ignore the obvious choice, almost because that would be too easy/mainstream. We seemed to double down on the “best available” philosophy drafting 2 small mid/forwards, despite grabbing Stengle and McAdam during trade period and having Murphy/Gallucci +/- Poholke/Davisalready fighting it out for small-medium forward cum midfielder spots. Now we have a glut of talent in that position. None are necessarily bad selections in isolation, but from the overall list management perspective? A little questionable.

Will be interesting, I hope Jacobs rebounds, like he has done before, but there’s a definite concern long term,

The one thing that can't be discounted with Rucks last year is we were robbed of an opportunity to give O'Brien some games by injury. So it was an unknown how much of a need it is at that point of time, especially if the club has faith in ROB being the next ruck. If that boy has aggression similar to lets say a Mumford, i'm all for it. Our midfield is begging for a type like that.

Francis really doesn't concern me at all. I see him similar to lets say a Dan Menzel. A good story if he makes it, but not something I'd want to see us invest even the smallest amount of collateral in. Not worth the risk, especially as he wouldn't have come cheaply, and Adelaide would possibly be one of the worst situations for someone who isn't mentally solid as you have no anonymity here at all. Essendon deserve some props though with the way they've handled it.

It makes a bit of sense why though, our biggest need coming into 2019 was small forwards seeing our defensive pressure sucked (something being forced into ditching a four tall structure will help immensely with), and with the potential to get worse seeing we're lucky to get 10 games out of Knight a season, and Gallucci really should be beginning to transition into a midfielder this year. Also there is a serious risk that Betts will just fall off a cliff form wise which is what the Stengle selection is trying to alleviate (seeing Stengle and Betts won't co-exist in our line up without a serious amount of injuries occurring), a line of decision making that worked well in the past with Jenkins. So grabbing a couple of prospects who could potentially use that as a springboard for midfield minutes, as well as a couple of long term replacements isn't the worst decision out there, especially considering we don't have defensive spots to play with development wise right now.

Poholke also has no business as a small to medium forward. Though, Davis and Murphy would be in a spot of bother list wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the idea is to sacrifice the match up who'll likely get the Hawks third tall (Gunston/someone else), so he could do a job on Bruest?

Which also has the potential of hurting our other key defenders seeing Doedee is the one who is more expected to come off his man to influence contests.

That's a bold strategy cotton.

After JLT2:

B Laird - Talia - Doedee
HB Smith - Keath - Milera
C Seedsman - Gibbs - Atkins
HF Greenwood - Walker - Lynch
F Knight - Jenkins - Betts
R O'Brien - M. Crouch - Sloane

I B. Crouch - Kelly - Murphy - Jones

E Fogarty - McHenry - Gallucci
Unfortunately mate given ROB lack of minutes tonight he is no chance for round 1

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Round 1
Laird Talia Doedee
Smith Keath Milera
Seedsman Sloane Atkins
Lynch Jenkins Knight
Betts Walker Murphy

ROB/Jacobs MCrouch BCrouch

Gibbs Jones Greenwood Kelly

Ruck is my major concern. Jacobs is cooked but they will play him until he is injured or we start losing matches solely due to his performances. I don't want Kelly in but there is no one else unfortunately. Keath is the better player but match committee will pick Hartigan most likely as they are unable to make tough calls. Murphy in until Gallucci and Mcadam fit.

Last edited:

Don't think we wanted to pony up the cash for Preuss. On very very good money at Melb.

So we can assume that of the 23 who played tonight in the 1st 3.5 qtrs, 1 of Keath/Hartigan dropout and that leaves our current available 22.

If Greenwood were to be available does he push out Jones or Dougie as the last picked?

IMO its Dougie but is that how others actually see it going? or is it someone else?

Gooch when fit is chasing down Jones, Murph, Knight (even atkins). (Mackay chasing these guys too but lets just ignore him for now)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back