Your Right to Know campaign

Remove this Banner Ad

Every media organisation in Australia (ABC, SBS, 7, 9, 10, the Guardian even News Corp and the Daily Mail) are launching a co-ordinated campaign against the Federal government‘s restrictions on press freedom:

They have to do something to make themselves relevant again.

They have to do something to make themselves relevant again.

yes and no. Some genuine concerns here...things like reporting on aged care issues, protections for whistleblowers.

Bit rich hearing Joyce lecture the press on gaining trust when he was the beneficiary of their protection during his byelection. I'm not sure the good people of New England would have returned an adulterous meth head had they been given the full information.

yes and no. Some genuine concerns here...things like reporting on aged care issues, protections for whistleblowers.

To me this just seems like they are trying to save their own livelihoods.
We've had terrible reporting on so many issues for so long now, especially from Murdoch, and now they want the public's support?

Granted some journalists have done amazing jobs and have broken some big stories, but to me it seems like there is a lot that they don't publish or push hard enough on in order to protect certain people, companies or political parties.

offended about newscorp has commenced. Funny how all the lefties need to go down this path to deflect from the fact that their claims about the Murdoch publication and the government are being shown as false.

To me this just seems like they are trying to save their own livelihoods.
We've had terrible reporting on so many issues for so long now, especially from Murdoch, and now they want the public's support?

Granted some journalists have done amazing jobs and have broken some big stories, but to me it seems like there is a lot that they don't publish or push hard enough on in order to protect certain people, companies or political parties.

absolutely. And it does include the guardian, abc though.

Newscorp can gagf..

but the bigger issue is the fact that this govt has gotten away with this, and for so long....

Newscorp can gagf..

but the bigger issue is the fact that this govt has gotten away with this, and for so long....
They've been allowed to and judging by the previous election people are happy about this, as long as the dreaded Labor Party aren't in power.

Newscorp can gagf..

Yep the Guardian, ABC and SBS have all been disappointing in their reporting of certain issues and only added to the problem.

I just saw a tweet relating to Katter and his financial interests, it's a ******* disgrace. If he tried that s**t with centrelink he'd be rejected or facing a robodebt notice. He wouldn't be the only one doing it either. But it's only being reported now.

Title says The Project but it's Jordies discussing the interview they had with one of the journalists in question and he goes to town on MSM about this issue.

Trigger warning for conservatives - he also goes to town on the Liberal party.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

.. the lack of protections of whistleblowers is the worst part of it all.

I think there’s a few issues

1. real concerns over current state, inability to report, lack of protections for whistleblowers

2. The way newscorp Controls large % Of media

3. the way newscorp is a propaganda for coalition.

I don’t think we can solve the last 2 issues without resolving the first one.

Thread had potential.
Has already become yet another left vs right slanging match. Shame.
The moment that this government was a elected and announced that for reasons of security they don't discuss on water matters anymore having previously run a very public tally of boat arrivals we could see that this was a government that didn't like to be honest or put under scrutiny. Morrison and his Canberra bubble and dismissal of questions as idle gossip has taken it to new heights.

The moment that this government was a elected and announced that for reasons of security they don't discuss on water matters anymore having previously run a very public tally of boat arrivals we could see that this was a government that didn't like to be honest or put under scrutiny. Morrison and his Canberra bubble and dismissal of questions as idle gossip has taken it to new heights.
It's been a steady decline of whistleblower protections under successive governments for some time, Morrison has merely extended this.

Recent ATO cases are pertinent to this issue.

offended about newscorp has commenced. Funny how all the lefties need to go down this path to deflect from the fact that their claims about the Murdoch publication and the government are being shown as false.
BUT MUH NEWSCORP !!!!

God you're pathetic

It's been a steady decline of whistleblower protections under successive governments for some time, Morrison has merely extended this.

Recent ATO cases are pertinent to this issue.

There have never been decent whistleblower protections in Australia. The ATO guy is being prosecuted under a law from 1914. The problem is there is more malfeasance within government, due to the fact government feels it can act with impunity. The press gallery is almost wholly captured, filled with nitwits like Bevan Shields (who’d probably dob in anyone who leaked to him in exchange for gossip).

Sedition, reducing whistleblower protections and the AFP raiding journalists because of stories that damage the government are now deemed ‘threats to national security’ are all deeply troubling.

However, the press has often done a s**t job anyway of holding governments to account out of fear of losing access. Is it any surprise that a government drunk on the fawning of mass media wouldn’t try to crush the last voices of criticism as dissenters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back