Your Right to Know campaign

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Bit rich hearing Joyce lecture the press on gaining trust when he was the beneficiary of their protection during his byelection. I'm not sure the good people of New England would have returned an adulterous meth head had they been given the full information.
Agree with the first sentence. As for the next, Joyce was returned at the last election in a landslide.

Hey, hey, settle down now. This campaign is for the greater good. The government with Labor’s support is invading our privacy more and more every day.
Nah

They can get ****ed

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Perhaps this opens a wider discussion - basically what the press needs to be and have.

Yes - protect and encourage whistleblowing. Doubt too many would argue with that - but, that's another issue entirely.

Let's look at how all facets of the media uses "sources" or as Caroline Wilson uses "thources". Is that issue somehow intertwined in all of this?
Do we need more investigative journalism? You bet we do.
Does there need to be accountability for journalists and editors - absolutely.

IA not falling for newscorps bullshit

News Corp was very happy to support vastly increased “anti-terrorism” powers for law enforcement bodies and was instrumental in supporting Home Affairs czar Peter Dutton failed bid become prime minister last year. Only now, however, has it leapt into action to defend “press freedom” It appears that News Corp is indifferent about the rights of Australian citizens and others, such as refugees, only being concerned about its own journalists and their sources.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I brought this up in another thread but also applies to this thread.
CIVICUS has downgraded Australia from an "open" nation to a "narrow" nation. Just highlighting a worrying trend of overreach by the Government. Even more worrying is that there has been nothing said by the mainstream media or the ABC. Only places I have found reporting this is The Guardian and the Human Rights Law Centre. SBS has now reported on the findings as well.

Why aren't all media outlets reporting on this? Definitely something Australian's need to know about, yet the mainstream is ignoring it so far. Which flies in the face of the "Your Right to Know" campaign and why I was so cynical towards it.

Well newscorp can get f’ed for starters
Newscorp, defending their right to publish lies and falsehoods, have to support the right of real media to print the truth.
This would be burning Rupert worse than Dencorub on the nads.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I brought this up in another thread but also applies to this thread.
CIVICUS has downgraded Australia from an "open" nation to a "narrow" nation. Just highlighting a worrying trend of overreach by the Government. Even more worrying is that there has been nothing said by the mainstream media or the ABC. Only places I have found reporting this is The Guardian and the Human Rights Law Centre. SBS has now reported on the findings as well.

Why aren't all media outlets reporting on this? Definitely something Australian's need to know about, yet the mainstream is ignoring it so far. Which flies in the face of the "Your Right to Know" campaign and why I was so cynical towards it.

Does your right to know mean that it is compulsory for every media outlet to report on what interests you in particular? I see that you found what you were after and then shared it with the rest of us. Carry on.

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Does your right to know mean that it is compulsory for every media outlet to report on what interests you in particular? I see that you found what you were after and then shared it with the rest of us. Carry on.
You don't think that it's in everyone's best interest to know about stories like this, get it out into the public that our rights are being infringed upon? I wouldn't classify this as a niche story that only I'm interested in either.

Rupert controls mainstream media and now the Gov are silencing public media.

Back