Your Season in Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
This might be a week or two early for some, but my year this year was an unmitigated disaster. Burnt so many trades trading out injured players, only to bring them back in again, and then watching as they went and got injured again.

I love a POD as much as anyone, but none that I picked really delivered this year, and the POD's I passed up absolutely killed it. Cheers to whoever it was that talked me out of Toby Greene when he was dirt cheap. In hindsight my starting team was very unsettled and I wasn't happy with it and made way too many changes late in the piece with really risky obscure picks.

Also, it was just so great to see Whitfield and Lloyd going massive every week at the start of the year when I owned neither and by the time I bring them in they start performing as I expected them to at the start of the year.

And on that, it seems like there aren't as many uber premo's that you can have full faith in every week compared with years past. Towards the end of the year it was always obvious who the absolute must haves were and if you didn't have them you were going nowhere. And the list was usually extensive. This year, when looking at the year as a whole who are the 'must haves'?? Grundy.... and that's about it. I can't think of many others.

Interested to hear everyone else's thoughts and how their year has gone.

Absolute disaster...99% of decisions I made were wrong...this is just a small list...

- not starting with Whitfield
- picking up Whitfield the week he broke his collarbone
- trading in lachie neale at his highest price then watching him struggle to score 100+ each week
- not starting with brad crouch
- starting with Brayspud and holding him for 10 weeks
- watching Cripps score under 90 3 out of every 5 weeks
- trading in Marshall at his highest price after he was the #1 forward for 8 weeks then watching him struggle to score 100 the past 5 weeks...whilst watching toby Greene average 140 and he was $160k cheaper...My two options were: Marshall and Sloane or Merrett and Greene...I’ll let you guess which option I chose...
- trading in Sicily over Zac Williams and Tom Stewart then trading Sicily out for Whitfield (had to use 2 trades) is the week he scores 112 in the snow against gws after averaging 55 the previous 5 weeks and outscores Whitfield

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Season still going for me, but regardless - comfortably my best year. Last four of the league, and sitting 322nd overall - first time in the top 1000. Team is in good form (over 2400 4 of the last 5 weeks)

The good:
- started with Taranto and B Crouch (was choose two from them, Sloane and Fiorini)
- traded out Westhoff early to Witts, has been fantastic (and better than Gawn over the last several weeks)
- carried Rockliff and Whitfield through their injuries over the byes. Was able to field over 18 2/3 weeks, so it didn't hurt too much, and it saved me a couple of crucial trades
- brought in Merrett, Greene, Sloane (sort of), Treloar, Whitfield and Dunkley all at the right time
- only one really bad starting rookie (Bailey Scott)
- holding Worpel through the season. Having a big finish

The bad:
- started with Dunkley and Greene, meaning I traded them out only to bring them back in. Back in was fine, but their first 6-10 weeks were not
- started with Westhoff because I couldn't commit to a second ruck
- started without Whitfield
- started with Hanley and Ridley as backline midpricers, who were baaaaaad

The weird:
- sideways traded Dangerfield to Whitfield when Danger went down. Logic being it was only 2 (I think) weeks until his bye, and I'd get him back after that. Danger missed a week and came back to score a 150+, Whitfield played 2 weeks and got injured again.
- sideways traded Gawn (when Preuss came in) to Grundy. Worked out because Grundy averaged about 20 more than Gawn ... but a bit of a wasted trade

Update:
Crashed out of finals on the back of: Rockliff (48), Blakely (53), Salem (58), Sloane (60), Laird (74), T Kelly (75). The worst part about it is, I was all prepared to trade Kelly to Wingard, and Blakely to Houston, but let a mate talk me out of it. Instead, went Stewart to Simpson (fine ... but 6 point gain, so effectively pointless), and then went Macrae to J Kelly in a Hail Mary attempt to get there. Ah well

Last edited:

My best year ranked 780 ATM and playing finals in my league.

Bad:
Starting Seb Ross, trading out after 2.
Trading gawn to Hoff after round 1, then copping 200k price drop from Hoff, then bringing gawn in last week
Starting brayspud and holding him for 16 weeks.
Trading Rocky out the week before he came back for jelly, then got 3 quarters out of jelly, then traded back to Rocky which has averaged 85.
Burning a few too many trades early.
Getting taranto after he carved up at his highest
Jack ross
Cripps roller coaster

Good:
ROB until last week.
Holding duurs all year as cover a DPP
Gryan Myers
Starting whit, holding him for his 190.
Starting and holding zwilliams
Starting Treloar, Grundy.
Starting and holding Dunkley and Heeney

Where do I even begin.
One word: Brayspud. Holding him that long was criminal. There is just no recovery from such a massive misjudgement, I picked him as my M2. Then to hold him for so long, hoping, for anything.
I am somehow ranked ok, makes me think that a good coach would have taken my team much further.
ZWilliams was a good starting pick, he gets injured and I trade him to Guthrie. ZW goes on a run of form and Guthrie is a spud.
The infamous Cripps to Rocky trade early in the year. Cripps goes huge and Rocky injured. Rocky got injured again later as well. Cripps hasn’t been amazing but still a wasted move.
Brouch my best starting pick, one of the few good things I’ve done.
Captain picks early in the year were awful. Got 2 x 60s from Danger as C.
It’s pointless going on because Brayspud just defined my season really, and then I got Guthrie...and then Sicily. Punishment never ended with all 3 of them and in those weeks I basically played with one less player.

This season has been my most cursed by far. Sometimes it was just too much to handle, some rounds I was just lost for words on how unlucky I was. I accept some blame for my decisions but also copped my fair share of bad luck.

Soon after the byes, I only really played to beat Bradkli. He really did get me motivated every week. That motivation led me to somehow finish second spot in div1 and enter finals! Ended last week for me though. But Thanks for a great rivalry Bradkli.

It may seem strange to say that this has been my worst year for some time when my current rank is 427 but that IS the case. I have already been eliminated from all my cash leagues in which I am normally quite successful. I do feel that spending 8 weeks overseas where I was not able to watch any matches and I had little opportunity to monitor new players hurt me. My only info was their scores and consequently traded them in without knowing their role. Most being small forwards who were not seen again after 3 weeks. I'd see the teams, select my team and hope for the best.
As with most I also made some errors in my initial squad.
Brayshaw, Balta, Witherden, Dusty, Ridley, McCarthy and Cousins were all unsuccessful. I didn't want to start with the Grundy/Gawn double and tossed up and down for weeks whether to have Goldstein or Witts as my starting R2. Unfortunately went with Goldy.
Some of the terrible ins were Parker, Schultz, Ross, Taberner, Hayes and Young. Traded Heeney out after 2 weeks in a knee jerk reaction. Traded Whitfield in the week he reinjured himself and Yeo got injured two weeks after I brought him in. Milera has not met the average I bought him at since I traded him in.
I also had a bit of misfortune with my captain selections. Had Danger as C when he was injured in the first 1/4 and scored 30 odd, Also traded in Cogs the week he scored zero and to make it worse had him as captain.
A few things did go OK. Maintained the faith in Z Williams as my D6 and Walsh as my M8. Held Worpel for the year and started with Brouch and Boak. Traded in Taranto, Dunkley, Marshall, Treloar and Macrae cheap and they all performed week in week out since.
No overseas trips next year, so I expect 2020 to be more successful.
Let's just hope the AFL see the light and get rid of the 3 week bye period.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I managed to start with Zac Williams. I also traded him when he got injured as it looked as though he was playing a very defensive role that didn't look like changing. He went berserk soon after and hasn't stopped. Adding midfield minutes to his game has benefited him greatly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good:
- Currently 9th overall. Have been inside the top 25 for fourteen weeks, but only as close as 3rd.
- Picking Greene and Boak in starting team.
- Trade-ins of Taranto, Kelly (T), and Dunkley at perfect times.
- Holding the Worpedo and Greene when a weaker man may have sold them out.

The bad
- Cam Guthrie as a trade in (and to a lesser extent Cripps)
- USA holiday mid-season cost me a lot of points in consecutive weeks by not getting back to emergency loopholing and fielding Smith in liu of Logue. Won't cost me the title as i wonrt win it from here, but would have put me in top couple.
- burning trades hard most likely going to cost me a crack in the GF; though, am through to 10/10 prelims.

The good

Starting Boak, Zerrett and Sloane
Trading in ROB
My first month or so

The bad, everything else

**** you's go to

Rich, Answeth and Hodge stealing all of Witherdens ball
Bevo/Dunkley inconsistencies costing early trades where he should've been set and forget from the get go
Horse/Heeney likewise to Bevo/Dunkley though who knows with his ankle, dammed if you do damned if you don't
Richo/Newnes
Hinkley/Westhoff
***tfield
Goodwin/Brayspud
Richmond's injuries (trading Balta before Nank got injured + then copping Ross a month or so later)
Trading out ROB just before the byes thinking he'd lose cash, then proceeding to kill it when Grawndy have their bye resulting in my worst week for the season of 15 players playing and scraping 1400 or something...

Never before have I seen a year where having the right role turns into massive points/respectability. I remember back in the days I'd pick Stevie J or Bartel or someone, didn't matter where they played, be it midfield, forward, back etc they'd consistently pump points out and end up among the top scorers in their position for the year.

With the way the game is currently played if you're not playing in midfield/ruck or have a free role behind the ball then you ain't scoring well, simple as that

Can't trust picking guys playing deep in defence or have a lot of guys taking ball away from them (Witherden for example here), can't also trust sheer talent turning into points, look at Libba, Bont and Dunkley for example score when they play forward, it's one good score every 3/4 there, most of it is garbage/mediocrity.

Like look at Greene/Williams the last 6 weeks or so since Kelly and Cogs got injured, before then Williams was solid but not spectacular, but he needed ***tfield out injured to generally score well having a prime ball mover role, while Greene was just plodding along at an 80 average or so up forward, chuck them into midfield due to injuries then boom

So much luck is needed in this accumulation format currently, it's far too heavily biased towards having the right accumulation role to score, kinda preferring Supercoach's scoring method at the moment, a method I've been extremely critical of over the years but it's holding up at the moment, accumulation doesn't always equal points and it takes a bit of the luck factor out of the way I feel as it rewards impact.

The good:
- Currently 9th overall. Have been inside the top 25 for fourteen weeks, but only as close as 3rd.
- Picking Greene and Boak in starting team.
- Trade-ins of Taranto, Kelly (T), and Dunkley at perfect times.
- Holding the Worpedo and Greene when a weaker man may have sold them out.

The bad
- Cam Guthrie as a trade in (and to a lesser extent Cripps)
- USA holiday mid-season cost me a lot of points in consecutive weeks by not getting back to emergency loopholing and fielding Smith in liu of Logue. Won't cost me the title as i wonrt win it from here, but would have put me in top couple.
- burning trades hard most likely going to cost me a crack in the GF; though, am through to 10/10 prelims.
We'll have to give up these overseas trips next year. :) Too costly.

after finishing top 1% last year, i can't believe how bad i am this year

currently ranked top 34% (about 3,600th...ish) - clearly my worst year ever !!

players i traded IN
- Beams
- Daniher (over Greene)
- Franklin
- Menegola
- Birchall

players i traded OUT
- Walsh
- Smith,B

players i kept
- Witherden
- Brayshaw
- McGrath

trading has been a nightmare, and ultimately, my best22 just isn't strong enough
next year... pay the money for the big guns instead of hunting for value picks

trading has been a nightmare, and ultimately, my best22 just isn't strong enough
next year... pay the money for the big guns instead of hunting for value picks
It's interesting that you say that because *every single player in the top 6-8 of each grouping dropped by at least $100K from their starting price within the first 8 weeks of the year. * The only exception to this was Whitfield.

The year has just been meh, middle of the road, vanilla for me.

Floating between 800th-400th overall since about round 8.

Found it frustrating that I haven't been able to string more than two consecutive weeks of moving up the rankings. Two steps forward, one (or two) steps back seems to sum up my season.

Brought in Whitfield the week he got injured and am still rocking with Brayshaw. He could be an unlikely positive if he can crack the ton again this week.

I started with Greene, Macrae and Dunkley and held them the whole season and they have been a journey with a happy ending (so far).

Just a really average season all round probably summed up by my backline heading into the last round.

Lloyd, Crisp, Smith, Sicily, Clark, Milera with Duursma riding the pine.

Gross.

It's interesting that you say that because *every single player in the top 6-8 of each grouping dropped by at least $100K from their starting price within the first 8 weeks of the year. * The only exception to this was Whitfield.
The statement above was exaggerated a little however it is true that every one of the top 22 (in position), other than Whitfield, could have been traded in later in the season well below their starting price.

I haven't posted on the RDT board since the start of June, so that probably tells you all you need to know. After such a promising start (7th overall after Round 4!), my year was absolutely dreadful.

Finished 260th in 2017, 400th in 2018, and 1925th this year.

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 11.22.41.png Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 11.23.06.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back