Tertiary and Continuing Your study routine

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish i had a routine :(

Exams wise obviously i try to remember the important things said / done in lectures or things done in tutorials all the things done to cater for a kinaesthetic learning style.

Otherwise i find cramming a day or 2 before or even hours or minutes works best for me as it is all fresh in your head prior the exam. So if you haven't studied for an exam and think well the final 30 minutes before the exam won't help, it does

I find that if I start studying weeks before (1-2 hrs per day for instance), I'll forget most of the earlier content by the time the exam period comes around.

Mostly mild cramming for me (make sure I leave enough time to cover all of the content = 2-4 days before).

Benno that's why you need to review it within a week, and then again 4 weeks later to make it stick long term.

lol, I have never, and can't ever imagine myself going over material once a subject is finished, your energy would be better spent elsewhere.

Over the last couple of years I've developed a set path.

If I'm doing four subjects, I'll start revising four weeks before my first exam. If I have five exams, I'll start revising five weeks beforehand, and so on. That way almost all revision will be done prior to the first exam, and the breaks in between won't be as stressful as everything's already there.

I think a week is ample time, although note taking is important during the semester. If I didn't take notes it'd take at least twice as long.

I've got four exams this semester and the first is on November 3, which happens to be Cup Day, meaning I'll be starting this week. At least I'll save money.

I used to be absolutely hopeless at studying. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Over the last couple of years I've developed a set path.

If I'm doing four subjects, I'll start revising four weeks before my first exam. If I have five exams, I'll start revising five weeks beforehand, and so on. That way almost all revision will be done prior to the first exam, and the breaks in between won't be as stressful as everything's already there.

I think a week is ample time, although note taking is important during the semester. If I didn't take notes it'd take at least twice as long.

I've got four exams this semester and the first is on November 3, which happens to be Cup Day, meaning I'll be starting this week. At least I'll save money.

I used to be absolutely hopeless at studying. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

When you say studying four weeks before exams, does that mean you do nothing but assignments all semester until 4 weeks before the exam?

What about mid-semester tests?

How seriously do you study in those four or five weeks, a couple of hours a day, or more?

Sorry about the questions, but I'm trying to develop a study routine and yours seems pretty good, but a bit too simple to implement.

When you say studying four weeks before exams, does that mean you do nothing but assignments all semester until 4 weeks before the exam?

What about mid-semester tests?

How seriously do you study in those four or five weeks, a couple of hours a day, or more?

Sorry about the questions, but I'm trying to develop a study routine and yours seems pretty good, but a bit too simple to implement.

I've only had the one mid-semester test so far this year, so I haven't had to worry too much about them.

In terms of assignments, I'll focus near-exclusively on them for a couple of weeks around when they're due. When I was referring to note-taking I was talking mainly about lectures, which I'm generally able to keep up with each week, including when the assignments are getting done.

I try to keep up with readings as well, but I'll often fall behind by a week or two while the assignments get done.

Basically each week leading up to exams has been a mix between catching up on readings, organising notes and general revision. I'll probably average between 2-3 hours a day, maybe more if I'm going over material from a week I've missed.

In the couple of days before each exam I'll spend a lot more time going over things, but overall I've found it a lot less stressful.

I've only had the one mid-semester test so far this year, so I haven't had to worry too much about them.

In terms of assignments, I'll focus near-exclusively on them for a couple of weeks around when they're due. When I was referring to note-taking I was talking mainly about lectures, which I'm generally able to keep up with each week, including when the assignments are getting done.

I try to keep up with readings as well, but I'll often fall behind by a week or two while the assignments get done.

Basically each week leading up to exams has been a mix between catching up on readings, organising notes and general revision. I'll probably average between 2-3 hours a day, maybe more if I'm going over material from a week I've missed.

In the couple of days before each exam I'll spend a lot more time going over things, but overall I've found it a lot less stressful.

Cheers mate, that helps heaps.

I'm about one or two weeks behind in my readings for all my subjects except one: I haven't started the course for it yet.:thumbsdown:

I've gotta put most of my energy into that one now, possibly sacrificing my other subjects. Oh well, hopefully I'll pass.

I attend as many lectures as I can and let it sink in. That way I have some sort of mental blueprint to revise and learn the week before exams. Uni isn't for studying; it's for fun before we're stuck working 9am - 7pm every day.

But each to their own. I'm doing Comm/Law, so admittedly my law exams being open book makes my system possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back