Your Supercoach strategy for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick with my head, not my heart

There are nerdier nerds with brainier brains than I who always be smarter than me, so in a battle of intellect and analysis I will never beat them.

But if I pick with my heart I might get lucky and fluke a couple of my good picks with intuition that they would never have considered.

At least that’s what I’m telling myself to justify my Jack Steele Selection :(

Determined to abide by my golden rules from hard lessons learn't the last 2 years:

3. No trading out then in then out again for short term injurieso_O.....only LTI's :ambulance:

Wasn't Beams and (I've forgotten the name) meant to be on the semi-LTI (~4 weeks?) list last year but came back after 2 weeks? I fell into this trap :(

Currently running
7 premiums, 11 midpricers, 12 rookies
iu

Determined to abide by my golden rules from hard lessons learn't the last 2 years:

1. No trades before round 3:hourglasssand:
2. No rage trading...premo's should come good....unless they're Heath Shaw:mad:
3. No trading out then in then out again for short term injurieso_O.....only LTI's :ambulance:
4. Always maintain decent kitty balance :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:
5. Listen to advice and heed if it doesn't overide gut instinct :heart:

Reckon if l can stick to these, l'll do much better this year:)
So NO Franklin, JJK, Beams, or Rocky then :p

Looking forward tò H2TYW...Nnaawttt!!! running that same old, same old, joke about his guey intensions about his nerdz sponsorship...

yaawwnn!!!

Hurn's nickname is Newman.

I want to have Newman's babies...

DPP strategies:

DEF / FWD: Anyone looking actively at an option with a TMac / Sicily (or Ben Reid if you are a gaffa tape magnate) and a Keeffe (e.g.) with a view to being able to go a swingset across the lines? (You'd have to believe the borderline premo could go at least 90-odd to consider, I guess)

MD/FWD: Anyone going a MID/FWD (or MID/DEF) full-time floating donut from the word go and locking in sacrificing one cash generation spot?

FWD/RUC: If you are looking at DPP R3 and Fx, who are you combining? English and Smith for the low price, might give cover option? Or one of them and a kid who definitely won't play for loophole considerations? Cox?

Just out of interest. Probably haven't framed questions very well.

Last edited:
Wasn't Beams and (I've forgotten the name) meant to be on the semi-LTI (~4 weeks?) list last year but came back after 2 weeks? I fell into this trap :(
Think only one week for Beams. Then had quiet first week back before reverting to his usual stallionry. Avg just shy of 110 - incl. the 58, carrying injury. :star:
upload_2018-1-31_15-8-36.png

My focus is going to be on picking (or trying to!) rookies with good JS this year. Last year I got stuck with the likes of Hibberd, Eddy and Cousins while missing out on Newman and SPS because I didn't want to trade those campaigners while they 'had money to make' if only they'd get picked for another game or two.

My strategy is to not listen to all of the hype and fall for the group-think of "how to supercoach" websites, e.g. Jock Reynolds, SC Paige (LOL), SC_Insider, and many more. Even, with all due respect, these threads on BigFooty. It is information overload, does your head in, and worst of all, it ends up with thousands of SC teams having the same players, with minor differences on the benches.

This doesn't mean I won't do research; on the contrary, it's imperative. The best sources include training reports, JLT games, and looking for player updates on team boards. I'm no SC guru, but after last year's JLT series, I was absolutely convinced that Clarrie Oliver and Zac Jones were the two mid-pricers about to take the next step. I hope to find this year's Clarrie as well, though nothing stands out at the moment.

I also intend to avoid the stupid trade, bench and captaincy decisions that undermined having Clarrie, Taylor Adams, Tom Mitchell and Danger from the start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think so, he might've been one l missed, l've had so many l probably lost track, lol., l lost patience with Rance and Laird and Ablett and Roo and no doubt a few others....gosh so many damn wasted trades!

My focus is going to be on picking (or trying to!) rookies with good JS this year. Last year I got stuck with the likes of Hibberd, Eddy and Cousins while missing out on Newman and SPS because I didn't want to trade those campaigners while they 'had money to make' if only they'd get picked for another game or two.
To be fair .....picking Newman as a keeper was just plain dumb luck ......i missed him too

To be fair .....picking Newman as a keeper was just plain dumb luck ......i missed him too

There were also winners and losers within the Newman and Otto owners. Some got big Otten's 121 rd 10 and / or Newman's 151 in rd 8.
Could have had but dipped out on both of the bastards, was a sad panda.

DPP strategies:

DEF / FWD: Anyone looking actively at an option with a TMac / Sicily (or Ben Reid if you are a gaffa tape magnate) and a Keeffe (e.g.) with a view to being able to go a swingset across the lines? (You'd have to believe the borderline premo could go at least 90-odd to consider, I guess)

MD/FWD: Anyone going a MID/FWD (or MID/DEF) full-time floating donut from the word go and locking in sacrificing one cash generation spot?

FWD/RUC: If you are looking at DPP R3 and Fx, who are you combining? English and Smith for the low price, might give cover option? Or one of them and a kid who definitely won't play for loophole considerations? Cox?

Just out of interest. Probably haven't framed questions very well.
Going with a (MID/FWD) Eagle as a floater. Have Mitchell, Oliver, Crouch, Fyfe, Bont, Beams so I figure I need one. Fyfe/Mitchell my defaults but could change if there are tempting early matches.

Toyed with Sicily but thought who needs another donut. Could revisit close to R 1.

Last year I got off to a flyer and got around the 1000 mark at about rd4 or 5, so traded aggressively. Have a much better premo selection this year (and I won't trade out Titch after rd 5) but wouldn't mind doing the same again. The byes will pose a problem with so many keepers but at least I have only 4 for the dreaded rd14. Will take some early risks with a few midpricers who are guaranteed on field time to try and gain an early buffer on the field.

It's a real buzz being in and around the top 1000 for about 10 weeks. Well it was for me.

Mature rookies over kids.
Don't overvalue DPP as selection criterion over expected output.
Don't be lazy with loops on WHE / Nic Newman types, ALWAYS set when possible.
VC Danger early, VC Danger often.
Think unsexy thoughts when Jack Martin shows more glimpses of what he can do preseason. Wily succubus.

Mature rookies over kids.
Don't overvalue DPP as selection criterion over expected output.
Don't be lazy with loops on WHE / Nic Newman types, ALWAYS set when possible.
VC Danger early, VC Danger often.
Think unsexy thoughts when Jack Martin shows more glimpses of what he can do preseason. Wily succubus.
Ive been poisoned by Worsfold and the WCE way of doing things, I always go best option. If I miss out on DPP then I miss out. ****s me EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

But I still do it! :D

:$:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back