Your take on the umpiring last night

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh Hawkins holding the ball was ridiculous. Johnson (i think) should have been done for holding the ball he then gives it to Hawkins and it is holding the ball.

^^I totally mis-remembered that situation.

Wow Winty you beat me to it. Had the message sitting here for like 10 minutes before posting it.

The 50 against Dasher. Player stopped in front of him he runs into him the guy drops the ball and it is 50. Considering the guy was going to play on and Dasher had no other way to stop i didn't see anything in it. I get how interfering with the player after a mark is 50 but when they can't stop it i don't see how it is.

Umpires need to sit down and work out what does and what doesn't constitute advantage. So many times last night it wasn't payed when it should have been and then 1 of the few times it was they called it when there was absolutely no advantage. Reminded me of the advantage call in the last 90 secs of our round 14 clash.

Yeh Hawkins holding the ball was ridiculous. Johnson (i think) should have been done for holding the ball he then gives it to Hawkins and it is holding the ball.

Wow Winty you beat me to it. Had the message sitting here for like 10 minutes before posting it.

The 50 against Dasher. Player stopped in front of him he runs into him the guy drops the ball and it is 50. Considering the guy was going to play on and Dasher had no other way to stop i didn't see anything in it. I get how interfering with the player after a mark is 50 but when they can't stop it i don't see how it is.

Umpires need to sit down and work out what does and what doesn't constitute advantage. So many times last night it wasn't payed when it should have been and then 1 of the few times it was they called it when there was absolutely no advantage. Reminded me of the advantage call in the last 90 secs of our round 14 clash.

The dasher one was a legit 50 IMO. He was caught out of position and stripped Brown of the ball after he marked. 50 every time.

I haven't seen a replay of Ablett's free in the goalsquare but in real time it seemed textbook to me - Ablett looking at the ball, O'Brien looking at Ablett with his hands either holding or pushing Ablett in the chest.

It probably should have been a free to o'brien. Very clever of Gaz. I reckon he saw the other pie player coming across and knew he was stuffed so he just tried it on.

The dasher one was a legit 50 IMO. He was caught out of position and stripped Brown of the ball after he marked. 50 every time.
So what happens if someone was running full speed couldn't stop themself and ran into the player after he marked it and the player drops the ball. 50?

To me that compares to this; If a player ducks their head and charges into another player technically the other player makes contact to the first players head so should that be a free? Obviously not as it is the first players fault.

Same in this case Milburn ran after him he slowed in front of Milburn and Milburn made late contact because of it. Yet Milburn is penalized for it.

Free kicks at half time 12 to the pies, 7 to the cats. 3 quarter time 14 to pies, 12 to cats. Final count 18 to pies and 12 to cats. Pretty much what I expect when we play in Melbourne and Maclaren is umpiring. Usually we get dumped on for the first half then the frees are evened up in the 3rd and we finish stringly from there.

Rosebury made some hideous calls which was no suprise to me. Every time I've seen him umpire I can't tell what the hell he is doing.

So what happens if someone was running full speed couldn't stop themself and ran into the player after he marked it and the player drops the ball. 50?

To me that compares to this; If a player ducks their head and charges into another player technically the other player makes contact to the first players head so should that be a free? Obviously not as it is the first players fault.

Same in this case Milburn ran after him he slowed in front of Milburn and Milburn made late contact because of it. Yet Milburn is penalized for it.

It wasn't the contact IMO. It was that he hit the ball out of his hand after Brown marked it.

It wasn't the contact IMO. It was that he hit the ball out of his hand after Brown marked it.
It was the contact that made him knock the ball out of his hands. Only other thing he could have done with his hands is push him in the back to stop himself. Which is a lot more obvious 50 than just swinging your arms around him.

C'mon people, take your blue and white glasses off. I thought the umpiring wasn't too bad. The nature of our rules is that there are always going to be debateable decisions in the game but I thought there weren't too many glaring ones. Most of them you could see where the umpires were coming from, although I do think they got the Hawkins holding the ball one wrong - I think they may have thought he put it on the ground before he handballed it.

The one thing I think they need to work on is their estimating distance. There were clearly 20-25m passes called too short and then later 5-10m passes that were paid (I think someone must have had a chat with them at quarter time so they over compensated).

OK, I've now seen the Ablett-O'Brien decision again, and it wasn't as I saw it live but the decision was still justifiable.

O'Brien at no time looked at the ball and this is ALWAYS going to put you in jeopardy of having a kick paid against you.

Ablett was running backwards with his eyes on the ball and trying to push O'Brien off him or at least hold him at arms length. At one stage, he may have slightly held O'Brien's arm on the side obscured from the umpire's view.

O'Brien's right arm reached around to Ablett's back.

Even if to this point it was considered play on, Ablett falls backwards and O'Brien falls forward onto him making forceful front on contact in a marking contest. This is a free kick every single time it occurs. There cannot be a complaint about this.

There were a few that baffled me.

1) The one where Byrnes goaled and it was brought back to the center. WTF was that for?

2) The Ablett Goal square, never should be a free kick.

3) Harley with a textbook spoil somehow a free kick.

4) 5m kick followed by a 50 (which had to be paid)

5) Mooney's 80m penalty against Didak

6) Hawkins holding the ball

These are just the one that I remember but I was at the game so I'd have to see them again before I could comment with confidence.
It was a free kick to Geelong about 20 seconds earlier and advantage wasn't paid, however we just kept going.

C'mon people, take your blue and white glasses off. I thought the umpiring wasn't too bad. The nature of our rules is that there are always going to be debateable decisions in the game but I thought there weren't too many glaring ones. Most of them you could see where the umpires were coming from, although I do think they got the Hawkins holding the ball one wrong - I think they may have thought he put it on the ground before he handballed it.

The one thing I think they need to work on is their estimating distance. There were clearly 20-25m passes called too short and then later 5-10m passes that were paid (I think someone must have had a chat with them at quarter time so they over compensated).

You are calling us biased despite the fact that we are not saying we lgot the short straw? Not sure how us discussing the umpiring automatically makes what we say biased no matter what we say.

Agreed. Also, a bit lucky when the Pies got a free on the members wing and Enright kicked the ball away, but he got the benefit of the doubt that he hadn't heard the whiste, or assumed he was getting paid a mark (from memory) and making a legitimate attempt to play on. Could have easily been 50 and a Pies shot on goal. There were a few stinkers both ways and in the end I'm not sure that it favoured one side or the other to any great extent.

The bad decisions went both ways, as the majority of posters are saying. The umpiring should not be so obvious. It was a clean game, there was no reason for the umpires to be so whistle happy. A couple of times I was convinced they prematurely whistled and then had to make up the decision on the spot!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McLaren is passed it we all know that. Not sure if was ever the opposite of being "passed it" but this year he has been noticably worse than the rest of his career.

The bad decisions went both ways, as the majority of posters are saying. The umpiring should not be so obvious. It was a clean game, there was no reason for the umpires to be so whistle happy. A couple of times I was convinced they prematurely whistled and then had to make up the decision on the spot!

lol, possibly!

This thread is reminding me of heaps of calls that I'd forgotten about, for both teams.

And to add to this, I recall one of our players kicking the ball which ended up in our hands about 70-80 out in the corridor, and then whoever kicked it got taken out so it was a free kick... but not downfield!? Seriously, I'm starting to think the umps started drinking early that night, or still badly hungover from the night before.

So many times I just looked at the people around me with a questioning look, and everyone shrugged. And as I said, not just for calls that disadvantaged us either. That goal you got that was recalled to the middle of the ground... I still have nfi why that happened. SURELY advantage?!

The worst one was when Byrnes slide in and got the ball on the half volly and the ump paid the mark. I like everyone else near me knew it hit the ground from 100m away

Mclaren was terrible, maybe all those times of getting abused down the umpires race at KP has made him hate us forever..

if memory serves we got stitched in the free kick count didnt we?? at af time it was 12 free kciskf ro the pies 7 for us

the other two umpires were ok, they could umpire a granny, seemed consistant.

Umpiring was appalling last night, the umpires were terrible, Scott Mclaren should never umpire a Geelong game again GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsu::)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back