B Drummond Merrett Begley
HB Macdonald Patfull Stiller
C Lappin Adcock Notting
HF Johnstone Brown Brennan
F Copeland Bradshaw Hooper

R Charman Black Power

IC Leuenberger Corrie Sherman Proud

EM Henderson Rischitelli Selwood

A lot of players in the starting 18 pick themselves. Normally I'd have Begley sitting on the bench but he comes in for Jason Roe. He's pretty good defensively and has sound delivery and can provide some run.

I have named Johnstone and Brennan on HFF, but really they'll be pushing into the midfield. Brennan will do what he does best and get the ball in unconventional ways, while Johnstone will be my go to man when delivery into forward 50 - one of our biggest problem areas last year.

While Copeland isn't the most skilful player, he does offer much playing forward pocket. A guy who can be a genuine leading target, although his biggest contribution will be his defensive efforts.

I've stacked my bench with runners, and the emergencies who missed out can consider themselves very unlucky. When match fit I'd have Rischitelli in there to provide some in & under work as well as tackling, but his limited time in preseason means that I see Sherman as my defensive midfielder/half back. Corrie will also provide dash from the back, while Proud will be played in the midfield in bursts to see if he can rack up a few clearances and give us the momentum.

In selecting my runners I haven't got space for a tall on the bench, so there's a bit of risk there with no Roe and Bradshaw a little underdone. However, I think for us to win we'll have to win the battle of the corridor, apply defensive pressure and not allow the Eagles to get their run. Apart from Kerr, I won't tag anyone but rely on our players to beat their man. I believe Brown, Bradshaw and Copeland provide enough marking options, and will rely on our runners to contribute numerous goals as well.

evening all
seeking clarification on colm begley, i'm a bit of a fan but am confused as to his status at the club
how close is he to being named in the 22 for round 1?

sorry guys, i must have missed something, corrie? is he not a small forward? he seems to be listed as a HBF on everyones list, i guess i haven't been following the progress as well as i thought.

evening all
seeking clarification on colm begley, i'm a bit of a fan but am confused as to his status at the club
how close is he to being named in the 22 for round 1?

Colm Begley is on the rookie list, but he's a virtual certainty to be named as our nominated rookie (ie can play without needing to replace a player on the senior list).

Opinions on him will vary a bit. You'll probably find some who have him in the starting 18, some on the bench and some name him as emergency. FWIW, I have him on the bench, but starting on the field in round 1 because of Jason Roe's absence.

sorry guys, i must have missed something, corrie? is he not a small forward? he seems to be listed as a HBF on everyones list, i guess i haven't been following the progress as well as i thought.

In 2005 he was indeed played as a small forward, and partnered up with Ash McGrath to see if they can't replace Craig McRae's role as a crumber and tackler inside forward 50.

He came back late last year from his knee reconstruction and played in defence, showing great run and disposal in the last couple of games. He's been played either in defence or midfield this pre-season, and I expect him to play HBF, or coming off the bench.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back