Your Team of The 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

Nest of Cats

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Apologies if this exists elsewhere, thought you might like to share your team of the 90s.
We had some great players, had lots of success.

Players needed to have played between 1990 and 1999. Selection should be based on performance during those years.

Enjoy.

Sholl - Graham - Sanderson
Hinkley - McGrath - Mansfield
Riccardi - Couch - Pickering
Lynch - Stoneham - Scott
Brownless - Ablett - Burns
Barnes - G. Hocking - Bairstow
Colbert - Bews - Milburn - King

That’s off the top of my head, missing a few and being too young to remember the early part of it.

Also being pretty generous to the level of talent Paul Lynch had.

In that case, a great argument for Shayne Breuer ahead of Ronnie Burns?
Being young enough to only remember seeing 3 (Riccardi, King and Dasher) play in the above best 22. Other than the obvious Snr how many in that side were genuinely elite?

Being young enough to only remember seeing 3 (Riccardi, King and Dasher) play in the above best 22. Other than the obvious Snr how many in that side were genuinely elite?
Couch, Hinkley, Brownless
In Ricky Vaughn's team, I would say 16 were elite. Easier to say who probably wasn't- Sholl, Sanderson, McGrath, Pickering , Scott, Burns,

Lynch - Stoneham - Scott

That’s off the top of my head, missing a few and being too young to remember the early part of it.

Pretty fair effort off the top of your head.

Shame it's a year too early to replace Graham with Scarlett.

I would swap Milburn for one of Hinkley or Mansfield.

I would put 1990 - 92 Ablett to the hff, Scott to the pocket and Brownless to ff.

Genuinely elite as in, in the best handful in the comp in their position at some point, no matter how briefly in that decade?

Ablett
Hocking
Couch

Hinkley
Mansfield
Stoneham
Bairstow
Scott (461 touches and 42 goals in 1992)
Brownless

Genuinely elite as in, in the best handful in the comp in their position at some point, no matter how briefly in that decade?

Ablett
Hocking
Couch

Hinkley
Mansfield
Stoneham
Bairstow
Scott (461 touches and 42 goals in 1992)
Brownless
Surely Graham? If yes to Scott, Benny gets in too for me.
And Riccardi- easily in the best 2 wingers for a while.

I would have Graham elite as well, particularly from 97 onwards. Stephen O'Reilly was a very handy full back until he left for Freo.

I reckon Mansfield was elite for a while as well on HBF

I would have Graham elite as well, particularly from 97 onwards. Stephen O'Reilly was a very handy full back until he left for Freo.

I reckon Mansfield was elite for a while as well on HBF
He had Mansfield, but not Riccardi

Benny is an elite Scaredy Cat. I was never a fan, had all the attributes, I just thought he was too timid and could never take him seriously. His best seasons look to be after 1999 when he went forward.

As far as Scott goes, I'd say for that one season in the 90s he was elite.

Not sold on Riccardi, elite skills, without a doubt, could have elite games. His best year in the 90s was 1999 and there were other wingers that had much better numbers than him that year starting with the AA wingmen that year, Brad Johnson and Wayne Schwass and then three of the 4 starting wingmen, as selected in the gf, Adam Simpson, Justin Murphy and Shannon Grant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Benny is an elite Scaredy Cat. I was never a fan, had all the attributes, I just thought he was too timid and could never take him seriously. His best seasons look to be after 1999 when he went forward.

As far as Scott goes, I'd say for that one season in the 90s he was elite.

Not sold on Riccardi, elite skills, without a doubt, could have elite games. His best year in the 90s was 1999 and there were other wingers that had much better numbers than him that year starting with the AA wingmen that year, Brad Johnson and Wayne Schwass and then three of the 4 starting wingmen, as selected in the gf, Adam Simpson, Justin Murphy and Shannon Grant.

Summed it up perfectly.
Graham was pretty soft and did have his moments where he looked one of the best defenders in the competition but ultimately, was never elite. Certainly the best kick since Bennett and Quinlan.

As you said in a previous post, Hocking, Couch and Ablett were elite and consistent for over a decade.
Bairstow, Stoneham, Brownless are level below and then we had the rest.

Barnes was actually a pretty solid ruck but if you could pick between Barnes or King in their prime, it's King every single time for me.

Summed it up perfectly.
Graham was pretty soft and did have his moments where he looked one of the best defenders in the competition but ultimately, was never elite. Certainly the best kick since Bennett and Quinlan.

As you said in a previous post, Hocking, Couch and Ablett were elite and consistent for over a decade.

Barnes was actually a pretty solid ruck but if you could pick between Barnes or King in their prime, it's King every single time for me.
I loved Barnesy, he gave you everything he had every game.

Summed it up perfectly.

Ben Graham might not have been your typical mongrel FB of the 90s, a la Southern or Martyn, but no way he was soft imo.

Ben Graham might not have been your typical mongrel FB of the 90s, a la Southern or Martyn, but no way he was soft imo.
He wasn’t soft but he wasn’t your hard gritty key defender like Danny southern. What confused me is when he moved up forward later in his career 🤔

He wasn’t soft but he wasn’t your hard gritty key defender like Danny southern. What confused me is when he moved up forward later in his career 🤔
He was a brilliant FB, and lost some momentum when he had a serious elbow injury. Up until that point, he was regarded as the best in the comp.

Pretty fair effort off the top of your head.

Shame it's a year too early to replace Graham with Scarlett.

I would swap Milburn for one of Hinkley or Mansfield.

I would put 1990 - 92 Ablett to the hff, Scott to the pocket and Brownless to ff.
There is no way milburn gets in ahead of hinkley and mansfield. both were multiple times all australian and guns.

Lynch - Stoneham - Scott

Not bad effort but orielly was the best full back of the decade.

bruer probably deserves a spot ahead of burns. Although its close.

I'd have him ahead of both (but maybe not solely on 90s form).
Not on 90s form. On overall form you can make an argument although they were very different players. Milburn had longevity but his best probably wasnt as good as hinkleys and maybe not even mansfields. Hinkley and mansfield were also far more attacking players but milburn probably stronger defensively. hinkley one of the best readers of the play ive seen. When he was on he just knew where to go plug up the holes defensively.

Not on 90s form. On overall form you can make an argument although they were very different players. Milburn had longevity but his best probably wasnt as good as hinkleys and maybe not even mansfields. Hinkley and mansfield were also far more attacking players but milburn probably stronger defensively. hinkley one of the best readers of the play ive seen. When he was on he just knew where to go plug up the holes defensively.

Hinkley was fantastic to watch.

Mansfield very elusive (Hinkley not bad in this area too) and extremely strong overhead - but all three were good overhead really.
Mansfield could go forward effectively on occasion, Milburn and Hinkley not averse to slipping forward but Mansfield could really take a hit up leading mark.

Personally I think Milburn at his best was one of the better one v one players I've seen, get him in an even contest with his opponent and he would win that contest in any number of ways.

Not sure who I'd take out of Hinkley/Mansfield; very hard to split (and quite different as you say.).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back