Remove this Banner Ad

Linx

Club Legend
May 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Ottens is not naturally talented IMO.

One that many cat supporters are leaving out is J. Selwood. He has serious natural ability. I also agree with the above top 3.

Ottens has plenty of talent. At his best, he is a great mark, can kick 55 plus with a excellent accurate textbook action, one of the best tap ruckman in the league, can kick goals and one of the few players that can genuinely play two positions (Ruck and Forward). Its ashame because injuries have really held him back.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Ottens has plenty of talent. At his best, he is a great mark, can kick 55 plus with a excellent accurate textbook action, one of the best tap ruckman in the league, can kick goals and one of the few players that can genuinely play two positions (Ruck and Forward). Its ashame because injuries have really held him back.

Is that really a natural talent?

Big John

All Australian
Jul 19, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Alwyn Davey would have to be top 3.

Wouldn't agree. He's fast, but i think most of what he does comes from hard work and having a go. His skills aren't silky smooth, he didn't stand out when he was younger.

From the bombers my 3 would be:
Hird,
Ryder,
Lloyd

Lloyd might look a bit robotic, but you don't get to be as good a kick as him without there being a little bit of footy inside you.

davey_magik

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 27, 2004
central vic
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
west ham

Thing is his best is barely seen.

westcoast wizard

Senior List
Dec 25, 2006
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United
Judd - No further words required

Kerr - Great skills, very good inclose and can do freakish things

Wirrapanda - Abosolute gun up forward or down back. His one handed pick ups are a awesome to watch.

tin can sam

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2006
Home
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs
Natural talent is a hard thing to judge, but from Geelong, guys like Bartel, Kelly, Ablett (both), Hawkins, Johnson and Hawkins probably have the most of it.

Natural talent isn't just about pace, and the ability to do freakish things.

A guy who I think has alot of natural talent is Laycock, but he's slow as balls and not that strong, Brad Fisher also seems to have alot of natural talent.

although, I think Danial Kerr is probably number 1 for me.

Big Member

Senior List
Mar 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Harvey
Goddard
Dal Santo... maybe (proabbly Riewoldt though)

Players like Luke Ball just work harder than the likes of Dal and in my opinion are superior.

Would agree with those 3. They have different natural abilities though:

I've never seen anybody have better natural awareness of time and space than Harvey. It enables him to evade multiple tacklers one after another.

Goddard's for his disposal.

Dal Santo for his disposal and poise (natural skills almost a mix between the other two).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Certainly not our best but coming from the "Mark Waugh" Natural talent school. (So talented they look lazy)

Mundy, Hayden, Longmuir

Sep 16, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GO YOU CROW BOYS
Interesting to see a number of other Adelaide fans all putting Bernie Vince... not going to dispute that, lets just hope he goes on to show it (for those not in the know came from playing country footy just 2 years back to playing nearly ever game for the crows this year). He does seem to have a gift about him but for mine gets caught with the ball a bit often... naturally talented players just seem to adjust to that inherently.

My top 3 naturally talented players for the crows
1. Andrew Mclead
2. Stiffy Johncock
3. Jonno Griffin (would be Hentschell if he was to come back.. hope he does, but out of contention at the moment)

Someone mentioned Didak's croation blood earlier giving him a bit of magic with the ball. All the above show that our indigenous brethern's blood, as we all well know, makes the game just come to them too easily at times.

Mar 19, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
S.A Spurs, Liverpool
Port Adelaide

Nathan Krakouer (any really surprised?)
Shaun Burgoyne
Daniel Motlop (so much potential to be a superstar, just needs to get smarter)

Keep holding on for Motlop mate. I watched his "potential to be a superstar" for years!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back