Your teams best 22 for Round 1 ( and for Season 2019 )

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Grigg did work in 2017. Basically because he prevented the opposition ruck taking the ball directly. Mummy has always salivated when opposed to a dead ruck, and he's very good at taking advantage with a big fist.

I get there's an element of opposition teams developing tactics. I think the bigger issue is the dominant ruck now has a fair chance if they take the ball directly though. The 6 6 6 rule also creates space in the square I think, and makes it harder to cover the opposition mids.

No doubt it will have some type of affect on us and our structures, however it will be far less than the media and oppo fans are making it out to be. We are more than capable of winning more clearances, we sacrificed them a lot of the time in order to set up behind the ball and/or have dusty forward.

Dusty/Cotch/Prestia/Edwards is a decent quartet of clearance players, they will just spend more time in the midfield now imo.

In saying that, i definitely think we will eventually go away from the Grigg 2nd ruck thing.

No doubt it will have some type of affect on us and our structures, however it will be far less than the media and oppo fans are making it out to be. We are more than capable of winning more clearances, we sacrificed them a lot of the time in order to set up behind the ball and/or have dusty forward.

Dusty/Cotch/Prestia/Edwards is a decent quartet of clearance players, they will just spend more time in the midfield now imo.

In saying that, i definitely think we will eventually go away from the Grigg 2nd ruck thing.
I saw the article basically saying your screwed and it was over the top. That wasn't where I was coming from. The fundamental strength if constant gard pressure all over the ground in defence, and quick sure ball movement in attack is unlikely to change. I dont think opposition teams can really fight that tactically.

From a Collingwood POV. Our best side IMO

B - Langdon - Dunn - Maynard
HB - Crisp - Moore - Howe
C - Sidebottom - Pendles - Treloar
HF - WHE - Mihocek - Stephenson
F - Elliot - Cox - DeGoey
R - Grundy - Beams - Adams
I - Sier - Varcoe - Mayne - Thomas
EM From- Reid - Phillips - Wells - Aish - Greenwood - Roughead - Goldsack - Quaynor - Scharenberg - Brown - Murphy - Daicos.

A healthy list would be a great problem to have, as on paper, there are plenty of options.
Would like to see the injury gods looking after us this year. At a glance though, if someone goes down, at least we have cover.

gonna assume a handful of the seniors being managed are fit for Rd1

Francis Hooker Ridley
Saad Hurley McKenna
Smith Shiel McGrath
Stringer Daniher Fantasia
Tippa McKernan Laverde
Bellchambers Heppell Merrett
Zaka Myers Langford Parish
Emer: Bags Clarke Stewart

Last edited:
Round one prediction:

B: Jeremy Howe - Jordan Roughead - Tom Langdon
HB: Jack Crisp - Darcy Moore - Brayden Maynard
C: Adam Treloar - Dayne Beams - Steele Sidebottom
HF: Chris Mayne - Mason Cox - Jaidyn Stephenson
F: Jordan De Goey - Brody Mihocek - Travis Varcoe
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Taylor Adams
I: Tom Phillips - Josh Thomas - Brayden Sier - Levi Greenwood

E: Isaac Quaynor - James Aish - Tyson Goldsack - Josh Daicos

Unavailable: Lynden Dunn - Matt Scharenberg - Will Hoskin-Elliott - Jamie Elliott - Daniel Wells

If I'm taking into account injuries.

FB Plowman Jones Weitering
HB Newman Weitering Simpson
C Dow E.Curnow Murphy
HF Fasolo C.Curnow Gibbons
FF McGovern McKay SPS
FOLL Kruezer Cripps Setterfield

Int Kennedy, Thomas, J. Silvagni, Walsh

EMG Polson, Garlett, Phillips, Cunningham

Injured who would be in. Docherty, Pickett, Marchbank, Williamson.

Fas and Jones are currently injured but are expected to be ready for JLT/Round 1

Round one prediction:

Unavailable: Lynden Dunn - Matt Scharenberg - Will Hoskin-Elliott - Jamie Elliott - Daniel Wells
What's up with WHE? I missed that. Nothing serious I hope.

I agree, i think we can afford to go with it for rnd 1 but as a future team id include Garthwaite and have Rance as a floating type defender. Then when nank rests, Garth can ruck and Rance takes his man. Cant see how else we do it unless we include someone like Balta as a forward, but then we become too tall in attack imo.
I think they have balta earmarked for the 2nd ruck role, and then helping out down back. Can’t rely on someone yet to debut however.

Perhaps something like this?

Might need to put another tall defender in if we are playing against a taller forward line.

FB: J.Joyce - R.Thompson - J.Harbrow
HB: P.Hanley - S.Collins - J.Murdoch
C: L.Weller - D.Swallow - J.Bowes
HF: J.Martin - P.Wright - A.Sexton
FF: B.Ainsworth - S.Day - I.Rankine

R: J.Witts - A.Miles - T.Miller

Inter: C.Ah Chee - B.Fiorini - W.Brodie - G.Horlin-Smith

Emer: J.Corbett - J.Lukosius - S.Lemmens - J.Hombsch

It's nice not to have injuries to worry about for the seniors.

Wigg is done for the year
Schoenfeld is behind
Leslie recovering from back surgery
Holman also recovering from surgery

Mostly all 2nd's players anyway, except Holman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round one prediction:

My personal best 22 with all fit

B: Jeremy Howe - Lynden Dunn - Tom Langdon
HB: Jack Crisp - Matthew Scharenberg - Brayden Maynard
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott - Brody Mihocek - Jaidyn Stephenson
F: Jordan De Goey - Mason Cox - Jamie Elliott
I: Darcy Moore - Josh Thomas - Tom Phillips - Brayden Sier

E: Travis Varcoe - Jordan Roughead - Levi Greenwood - Chris Mayne

Varcoe the 23rd man, with simply nobody worth taking out for him. Given the frequency of injuries, it’s same to expect he plays most games anyway.

Dunn and Roughead very interchangeable at full back.

There is a small chance everyone could be available round 1, *= doubt on availability round 1.

Luke Hodge, Marcus Adams*, Alex Witherden.
Darcy Gardiner*, Josh Walker, Zac Bailey.

Stefan Martin, Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko.
Jarrod Berry, Jarryd Lyons, Hugh McCluggage.

Lincoln McCarthy, Eric Hipwood, Charlie Cameron,
Cameron Rayner, Harris Andrews, Lewy Taylor.

Daniel Rich, Allen Christensen*, Cedric Cox, Oscar McInerney.

On standby for possible unavailability-
Daniel McStay, Tom Cutler, Nick Robertson, Mitch Robinson.

From a Collingwood POV. Our best side IMO

B - Langdon - Dunn - Maynard
HB - Crisp - Moore - Howe
C - Sidebottom - Pendles - Treloar
HF - WHE - Mihocek - Stephenson
F - Elliot - Cox - DeGoey
R - Grundy - Beams - Adams
I - Sier - Varcoe - Mayne - Thomas
EM From- Reid - Phillips - Wells - Aish - Greenwood - Roughead - Goldsack - Quaynor - Scharenberg - Brown - Murphy - Daicos.

A healthy list would be a great problem to have, as on paper, there are plenty of options.
Would like to see the injury gods looking after us this year. At a glance though, if someone goes down, at least we have cover.
Fearsome. If Elliot can remain on the park, that makes it an even more dangerous looking forward line. Him and De Goey would run amok. Cox at FF, God almighty. Then you have Stephenson too, Varcoe off the bench. I like Phillips too.

Best 22:

FB: Jetta May Lever
HB: Hibberd O. McDonald Salem
C: Brayshaw Harmes Fritsch
HF: Petracca T. McDonald Neal-Bullen
FF: Melksham Weideman vandenBerg
R: Gawn Oliver Viney
INT: Jones Hannan Spargo Lewis

Prediction for Round 1 Team:

FB: Jetta May Hore
FF: Spargo Weideman vandenBerg
INT: Jones Lewis Preuss Sparrow

Best 22:

FB: Jetta May Lever
FF: Melksham Weideman vandenBerg
INT: Jones Hannan Spargo Lewis

I forgot Hogan nailed 48 majors last season for you fellas. How big of a loss is he now that he's gone to Freo? I've got you guys making the Grand Final and still think you will. But I feel he's a key forward that can't be easily replaced. Your mids will supply plenty of the ball obviously as well as chip in with majors. Weideman will have to step up this season. He certainly can, but it's a big role to fill and he's going to have to.

GF 22

B: Hurn Barrass Schofield
HB: Cole McGovern Jetta
C: Redden Yeo Masten
HF: Hutchings Darling LeCras
F: Rioli Kennedy Cripps
Foll: Lycett Shuey Sheed
IC: Ryan Duggan Venables Vardy

OUT: Lycett, LeCras, Schofield (likely)
IN: Hickey, Sheppard, Gaff

B: Hurn Barrass Sheppard
C: Redden Yeo Gaff
HF: Venables Darling Ryan
Foll: Hickey Shuey Sheed
IC: Masten Duggan Hutchings Vardy

Then hopefully later in the year Naitanui back in for Vardy or Hickey. Petruccelle also close to selection and we have 3 tall forwards who will get some game time in Waterman, Allen and Brander. Wouldn't expect any to be best 22 for the year though.

For rd 1
Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Corr Kennedy
Whitfield Ward Kelly
Greene Cameron Taranto
De Boer Himmelburg Langdon
Simpson Coniglio Hopper
Tomlinson Deledio Reid Bonar

Most are agreed on 19/22 spots the questions are Taylor or Corr for CHB and I think Corr early on in the season and then the last 2 bench spots is between up to 8 players and I have gone for the experienced Reid for his ability to play over the park and Bonar for his x factor in the forward line
Another one with questions marks is Haynes and without having the info on what his back issues are I could see Buntine coming in if Haynes is still on the injury list

I forgot Hogan nailed 48 majors last season for you fellas. How big of a loss is he now that he's gone to Freo? I've got you guys making the Grand Final and still think you will. But I feel he's a key forward that can't be easily replaced. Your mids will supply plenty of the ball obviously as well as chip in with majors. Weideman will have to step up this season. He certainly can, but it's a big role to fill and he's going to have to.

Yeah it will definitely be somewhat of a loss, but even when he wasn't playing Weideman and the other medium forwards seemed to step up their game. I'm predicting T-Mac ~65+ goals, Weideman around the 30-40 mark and a heap of players to get around 20 a piece. A shame Hoges had to leave, but it's for the best. Wishing him the best at Freo, but I hope he gets the support he needs.

Melksham's back in main group training, he's further along than Jones right now who's more 50/50.
Can't see them rolling the dice on Preuss in round 1 but can't be sure.
Depending on preseason games Salem might play midfield to cover the potential absence of Jones and likely absence of Kade Kolo. Hunt a good chance for half back. If it were up to me I'd be playing only one of Jones or Lewis either wing or half back but they might both get over the line.
The final one or two midfield/forward spots are very much up for grabs. Time for some games to see what they've got. Looking at the team and knowing how fast and frantic early rounds are I think they'll be looking for a bit of pace.

HB: Hibberd Oscar Hunt
C: Vanders Harmes Fritsch
HF: Petracca T Mc ANB
FF: Spargo Weids Melksham
Int: Lewis/Jones Salem Brayshaw Stretch/Sparrow/Baker/J. Smith/Garlett

For rd 1
Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Corr Kennedy
Whitfield Ward Kelly
Greene Cameron Taranto
De Boer Himmelburg Langdon
Simpson Coniglio Hopper
Tomlinson Deledio Reid Bonar

Most are agreed on 19/22 spots the questions are Taylor or Corr for CHB and I think Corr early on in the season and then the last 2 bench spots is between up to 8 players and I have gone for the experienced Reid for his ability to play over the park and Bonar for his x factor in the forward line
Another one with questions marks is Haynes and without having the info on what his back issues are I could see Buntine coming in if Haynes is still on the injury list
I keep wanting Lloyd or Daniel's for defensive forward pressure. Leon keeps Perryman's name close when talking selections as well.

But as you said the last few have a lot of options. Bonar will have to work hard without the ball but he probably can, if that's the team. He's probably more likely to find the gap in the big sticks.

GF 22

B: Hurn Barrass Sheppard
C: Redden Yeo Gaff
HF: Venables Darling Ryan
Foll: Hickey Shuey Sheed
IC: Masten Duggan Hutchings Vardy

Then hopefully later in the year Naitanui back in for Vardy or Hickey. Petruccelle also close to selection and we have 3 tall forwards who will get some game time in Waterman, Allen and Brander. Wouldn't expect any to be best 22 for the year though.
I'd be sliding Venables up into the midfield mix and giving Allen or Waterman some games - as long as they have decent defensive work rates. They can probably do a little time on the wing as well right? Invest some games in to those guys so you don't suffer as much when Kennedy likely needs some rest through the year. With Gaff back Masten then makes way. He can come in and play a role if/when needed. Venables is a hard worker but didn't impress me much as a forward, probably why he was riding the pine a fair bit in the last quarter of the granny. I'd like to see him develop more as a mid and if he comes good that means less pressure on Shuey, Yeo etc to carry the load through a long year.

Yeah it will definitely be somewhat of a loss, but even when he wasn't playing Weideman and the other medium forwards seemed to step up their game. I'm predicting T-Mac ~65+ goals, Weideman around the 30-40 mark and a heap of players to get around 20 a piece. A shame Hoges had to leave, but it's for the best. Wishing him the best at Freo, but I hope he gets the support he needs.
Agreed on Mcdonald. The guys a big bodied beast. Primed for a big season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back