Your Team's Best 22 - Round 1 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Why haven’t collingwood drafted any talls? They have a strong midfield but they drafted even more midfielders the last 2 drafts. Dunn, Goldsack and Reid could retire this year. They are 5 years off have a good young spine now. By then some of their best players will be old. They had the perfect chance to draft talls and have them ready in 3-4 years. Reckon they’ll finish in the same spot outside the 8 for the next 5-10 years.
Will Kelly as a medium tall defender prospect in next year’s draft as a father son, alongside us rating our prospects at Lynch and what looks to be a concerted effort by Buckley away from less mobile, power talks in general.

There’s a lot of eggs in the Cox as a forward/ruck basket and obviously Moore is developing nicely, but our defence still has a few question marks. McLarty is the developing one we have but as you’ve said will still be at least two or three years away.

Can’t agree. Maynard’s endeavour is huge and we desperately need more physicality through our backline. Kicking isn’t terrible (that’s Langdon) and defensively he’s pretty solid.
Sorry I can't see it. He's ******* useless and whenever I watched he was a turnover merchant, who conceded oodles of goals. Take away Maynard an you probably beat us in the second game.

Last edited:

The G's now.

Geelong:

FB: Jed Bews - Harry Taylor - Jake Kolodjashnij
HB: Zach Tuohy - Lachlan Henderson - Tom Stewart
MF: Tim Kelly - Joel Selwood - Cameron Guthrie
HF: Sam Menegola - Tom Hawkins - Daniel Menzel
FF: Gary Ablett - Stewart Crameri - Brandon Parfitt
OB: Zac Smith - Patrick Dangerfield - Mitchell Duncan
IC: Mark Blicavs - Nakia Cockatoo - Scott Selwood - Charlie Constable

Gold Coast:

FB: Jack Leslie - Steven May - Kade Kolodjashnij
HB: Pearce Hanley - Rory Thompson - Jarrod Harbrow
MF: Aaron Hall - Will Brodie - Lachlan Weller
HF: Jack Martin - Tom Lynch - Jack Bowes
FF: Ben Ainsworth - Peter Wright - Callum Ah Chee
OB: Jarrod Witts - Touk Miller - Jarryd Lyons
IC: Michael Barlow - David Swallow - Brayden Fiorini - Jack Scrimshaw

Greater Western Sydney:

FB: Matthew Buntine - Phil Davis - Heath Shaw
HB: Zachary Williams - Adam Tomlinson - Nick Haynes
MF: Lachie Whitfield - Stephen Coniglio - Josh Kelly
HF: Tim Taranto - Jeremy Cameron - Brett Deledio
FF: Toby Greene - Jonathon Patton - Harrison Himmelberg
OB: Rory Lobb - Callan Ward - Dylan Shiel
IC: Jacob Hopper - Tom Scully - Will Setterfield - Adam Kennedy

Adelaide

FULL BACK: Luke Brown ~ Daniel Talia ~ Tom Doedee
HALF BACK: Jake Kelly ~ Kyle Hartigan ~ Rory Laird
CENTRE: Richard Douglas/ Jordan Gallucci ~ Bryce Gibbs ~ Rory Atkins
HALF FORWARD: Tom Lynch ~ Taylor Walker ~ Jordan Galluci/ Richard Douglas
FULL FORWARD: Eddie Betts ~ Josh Jenkins ~ Mitch McGovern
1st RUCK: Sam Jacobs - Matt Crouch - Rory Sloane
INTERCHANGE: Hugh Greenwood ~ Brad Crouch ~ Paul Seedsman ~ Wayne Milera/ Riley Knight

Brisbane

FB: Alex Witherden ~ Jack Frost/ Harris Andrews ~ Darcy Gardiner/ Daniel McStay
HB: Sam Mayes ~ Harris Andrews/ Daniel McStay ~ Luke Hodge
C: Hugh McCluggage ~ Dayne Beams - Daniel Rich
HF: Charlie Cameron ~ Eric Hipwood ~ Lewis Taylor
FF: Allen Christensen ~ Josh Walker ~ Cameron Rayner
1R: Stefan Martin ~ Rhys Mathieson/ Jarrod Berry ~ Dayne Zorko
IC: Ryan Bastinac ~ Mitch Robinson ~ Jarrod Berry/ Rhys Mathieson
Nick Robertson/ Daniel McStay/ Ryan Lester

Carlton

FB: Lachie Plowman ~ Liam Jones ~ Caleb Marchbank
HB: Cameron O'Shea ~ Jacob Weitering ~ Kade Simpson
C: Sam Petrevski Seton ~ Patrick Cripps ~ Darcy Lang
HF: Jack Silvagni ~ Charlie Curnow ~ Dale Thomas
FF: Matthew Wright - Levi Casboult - Jarrod Pickett
1R: Matthew Kreuzer - Marc Murphy - Ed Curnow
IC: Zac Fisher ~ Tom Williamson ~ Matthew Kennedy
David Cuningham/ Aaron Mullett/ Paddy Dow

How they'll shape up with the usual Brad Scott way of playing his 90% now, 10% give a s**t about the future later.

FB: M.Williams Tarrant Macmillan

HB: Atley Thompson Vickers-Willis

C: McDonald Ziebell Clarke

HF:Wood Waite Simpkin

FF: Turner Brown Garner

R: Goldstein, Cunnington, Higgins

INT: Preuss, Dumont, LDU, Hrovat

EMG: Mckay, Ahern, Wright

Oh well. The main squad could actually do some damage. The forward line is particularly blue balled. The injury management and general horrendous decision making by the coach will see them finish around 13th.

If Wood and any of Mckay/Nielsen/Durdin go apeshit next year and injuries remain stable, expect this squad to account for a fair few perennially s**t clubs.

Last edited:
How they'll shape up with the usual Brad Scott way of playing his 90% now, 10% give a s**t about the future later.

FB: M.Williams Tarrant Macmillan

HB: Atley Thompson Vickers-Willis

C: McDonald Ziebell Clarke

HF:Wood Waite Simpkin

FF: Turner Brown Garner

R: Goldstein, Cunnington, Higgins

INT: Preuss, Dumont, LDU, Hrovat

EMG: Mckay, Ahern, Wright

Oh well. The main squad could actually do some damage. The forward line is particularly blue balled. The injury management and general horrendous decision making by the coach will see them finish around 13th.

If Wood and any of Mckay/Nielsen/Durdin go apeshit next year and injuries remain stable, expect this squad to account for a fair few perennially s**t clubs.
Speaking of perennially s**t clubs, players who would struggle to get a game anywhere else: M.Williams, Vickers-Willis, Clarke, Simpkin, Turner, Goldstein, Dumont, Macmillan, Waite, Hrovat, McKay, Ahern, Wright. In another words, this side will be lucky to win 3 games. It is garbage.

Speaking of perennially s**t clubs, players who would struggle to get a game anywhere else: M.Williams, Vickers-Willis, Clarke, Simpkin, Turner, Goldstein, Dumont, Macmillan, Waite, Hrovat, McKay, Ahern, Wright. In another words, this side will be lucky to win 3 games. It is garbage.
Haha Goldy, Waite and Simpkin at least would walk into the dogs starting 22 with no questions asked champ.

The rest are either young and unproven or solid role players. We are rebuilding at the moment but we'll definitely surprise a few this year.

Last edited:
What a load of crap. All of Clarke, Simpkin and J Mac would get a game at Essendon for sure, Turner would get a gig at most clubs as a small forward. It's not great but 3 wins? Please, Essendon manage that with 9 best 22 players missing 2 years ago and this side is better than that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha Goldy, Waite and Simpkin at least would walk into the dogs starting 22 with no questions asked champ.

The rest are either young and unproven or solid role players. We are rebuilding at the moment but we'll definitely surprise a few this year.
Goldstein and Waite are finished. Simpkin is not up to it.

Don’t engage with the troll bait.

My go at Hawthorn
FB: Stratton - Frawley - Hardwick
HB: Sicily - Brand - Birchall
C: Morrison - Mitchell - Smith
R: McEvoy - O’Meara - Burgoyne
HF: Gunston - Burton - Rioli
FF: Puopolo - Roughead - Breust
I/C: Shiels - Howe - Impey - O’Brien
Some of the draftees like Worpel or Mirra might be possibilities but hard to put them in before they’ve even played a game.
Harry Morrison on the wing is an interesting one but I reckon he’s gonna be a great player, was really composed at Box Hill and was easily able to transfer that to the seniors in round 23. That spot could easily be filled by Henderson/others though.

Will Kelly as a medium tall defender prospect in next year’s draft as a father son, alongside us rating our prospects at Lynch and what looks to be a concerted effort by Buckley away from less mobile, power talks in general.

There’s a lot of eggs in the Cox as a forward/ruck basket and obviously Moore is developing nicely, but our defence still has a few question marks. McLarty is the developing one we have but as you’ve said will still be at least two or three years away.
I was very suprised the Pies didnt select Naughton. Modern intercept marking key defender who was already a class above WAFL senior level in the games he played for Peel.

I was very suprised the Pies didnt select Naughton. Modern intercept marking key defender who was already a class above WAFL senior level in the games he played for Peel.
Stephenson as well out of all the choices, don’t see much difference between he and Hoskin Elliot in their draft years tbh, don’t think he has the natural talent of Stringer either.

Yes, we know. It is not like we have spent forever down the bottom of the ladder hoovering up top draft picks.

So what was you excuse for you shitful premiership defence this year? Bad luck or the perennial ‘injuries’?

B: Jeremy Howe - Lynden Dunn - Tom Langdon
HB: Jack Crisp - Darcy Moore - Brayden Maynard
C: Adam Treloar - Taylor Adams - Jordan De Goey
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliott - Ben Reid - Steele Sidebottom
F: Alex Fasolo - Mason Cox - Jamie Elliott
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Daniel Wels
I: Tyson Goldsack - Levi Greenwood - Tom Phillips - Kayle Kirby

E: Jaidyn Stephenson - Matthew Scharenberg - Travis Varcoe
Couple of statements.

Scharenberg and Varcoe emergencies of a team clearly lacking some class?
Heard Maynard would move into the midfield to provide less shithouse kicking, and if he’s as good inside as his brother it would be a smart move.
Fasolo and Elliot learning how to apply F50 pressure or are opposing rebounders going to slice through your team again next season?
I like Sidebottom as a permanent half forward as long as De Goey, Adams and Treloar can tidy up their kicking somewhat.

I’d personally take Fasolo out for Brown, Greenwood out for Varcoe, Phillips out for Scharenberg with a view of moving Maynard into the guts for Phillips.

St Kilda estimate assuming our selectors continue their conservative ways:

B: Jimmy Webster, Nathan Brown, Jarryn Geary
HB: Shane Savage, Jake Carlisle, Dylan Roberton
C: Blake Acres, Jack Steele, Jack Sinclair
HF: Jack Billings, Josh Bruce, Maverick Weller
F: Jade Gresham, Paddy McCartin, Tim Membrey

Foll: Billy Longer, Seb Ross, Jack Steven
Int: David Armitage, Luke Dunstan, Sam Gilbert, Jack Newnes

Emg: Koby Stevens, Tom Hickey, Jack Lonie

My thoughts on the best available 22 for Collingwood

FULL BACK: Tyson Goldsack ~ Lynden Dunn ~ Brayden Maynard
HALF BACK: Jeremy Howe ~ Darcy Moore ~ Jack Crisp
CENTRE: Daniel Wells ~ Scott Pendlebury ~ Steele Sidebottom
HALF FORWARD: Jordan De Goey ~ Ben Reid ~ Will Hoskin Elliott
FULL FORWARD: Jamie Elliott ~ Mason Cox ~ Alex Fasolo
1st RUCK: Brodie Grundy ~ Adam Treloar ~ Taylor Adams
INTERCHANGE: Matthew Scharenberg ~ Travis Varcoe ~ Levi Greenwood ~ Tom Phillips
  • Moore to go to CHB in almost a reverse of what Harry Taylor has done at Geelong. Playing on the better forwards of the game will be beneficial for his game longer term.
  • Elliott and Fasolo may miss early with injury but when fit are best 22 players.
  • Goldsack/ Scharenberg could be a positional swap but I thought with Moore at CHB that Goldsack's experience and versatility would come in handy.
  • Phillips's spot/ last bench is up for grabs

Essendon

FB: Adam Saad ~ Michael Hartley ~ Patrick Ambrose
HB: Andrew McGrath ~ Michael Hurley ~ Conor McKenna
C: Darcy Parish ~ Dyson Heppell ~ David Zaharakis
HF: Davon Smith ~ Joe Daniher ~ Jake Stringer
FF: Orazio Fantasia ~ Cale Hooker ~ AMT
1R: Tom Bellchambers ~ Brendon Goddard ~ Zach Merrett
IC: Martin Gleeson ~ James Stewart ~ Jayden Laverde ~ Matt Guelfi/ David Myers

• Gone with Guelfi in that inside mid role initially but a full pre-season can change things. Plays the right style of game for inside midfield, needs to work tohis limitations but and not overdo the combative footy. Think Woosha will love his attack at the contest.
  • Baguley could yet force his way into the 22 but I think the acquisition of Saad and natural progression of McGrath, McKenna and Gleeson means he shouldn't be guaranteed a best 22 spot anymore.
  • If a taller, stronger and more experienced midfield body (fit the modern game) is required than Myers is there.

Fremantle

FB: Lee Spurr/ Cameron Sutcliffe ~ Joel Hamling ~ Griffin Logue
HB: Nathan Wilson ~ Michael Johnson ~ Luke Ryan
C: Bradley Hill ~ Connor Blakely ~ Stephen Hill
HF: Harley Bennell ~ Matt Taberner ~ Michael Walters
FF: Brennan Cox ~ Cam McCarthy ~ Hayden Ballantyne
1R: Aaron Sandilands ~ Nathan Fyfe ~ Lachie Neale
IC: Sean Darcy ~ Andrew Brayshaw ~ David Mundy ~
Darcy Tucker/ Ed Langdon
  • Spurr or Sutcliffe in the back half, can't fit both i don't think. Would love to see Alex Pearce at some stage but will get a good stint of game fitness behind him first.
  • Wilson comes straight in as a replacement for Weller who with his run and long kick is similar to an additional midfielder playing off HB.
  • Midfield is pretty settled, throwing in the experience of Mundy into that second string midfield would be handy.
  • I know there's Dockers fans that don't like him but I'm a Taberner fan. From an outsiders p.o.v. he seems to be a scapegoat at selection when things are going bad.
  • Brayshaw steps straight into the 22 I think as you would expect from a number 2 pick. Think he'll adjust to the next level smoothly.
  • Tucker or Langdon is hard to split. Different players but with a fitter Bennell I think he takes that HF role of Langdon's maybe. I'm a fan of Tucker's as well, have been since watching bits and pieces of his draft year.
  • Matera is a guy who I'd make earn his spot but if Walters spends more time through the midfield he could get a look in, will keep Ballantyne on his toes at selection as well.

2018 going to be tough for the Eagles.

Not as tough as Norths.

That side isnt the best eithet.

Hurn EMac Sheppard
Duggan McGovern Yeo
Nelson Sheed Gaff
Cripps Darling Ah Chee
Ryan Kennedy Le cras / Rioli

Naitani, Shuey, Redden

Int Lycett, Cole, Venables, Jetta

Depth.....this is any teams true test. Barrass, Vardy, Masten, Rioli, Partington, Schofield, Karpany, Watetman.

Not as tough as Norths.

That side isnt the best eithet.

Hurn EMac Sheppard
Duggan McGovern Yeo
Nelson Sheed Gaff
Cripps Darling Ah Chee
Ryan Kennedy Le cras / Rioli

Naitani, Shuey, Redden

Int Lycett, Cole, Venables, Jetta

Depth.....this is any teams true test. Barrass, Vardy, Masten, Rioli, Partington, Schofield, Karpany, Watetman.

You guys will have to grabs mids next year. You are right for talls now.

You guys will have to grabs mids next year. You are right for talls now.

Agree Mad Tiger.

That strategy is out of whack with 2018 being a more taller draft I think but.

Mids should have been more of a focus from the 2017 draft.

Would love to have nailed that second round of the draft like Geelong did with Fogarty, Kelly and Constable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back