Your Team's Best 22 - Round 1 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Cordy will be in there. Doubt Schache will be there R1 so perhaps a reshuffle could see another playing forward and Cords on the bench.
Cordy, the forgotten man! Yeah for sure, it’s more hope of wanting Schache there. A big pre season from Josh and he’s a good chance but the Dogs could use Adams forward or Cordy as a defensive forward. Either way, the depth will be decent.

Williams - Tarrant - Thompson
Wright - Durdin - MacMillan
Clarke - Cunnington - McDonald
Wood - Waite - Garner
Simpkin - Brown - Ziebell

Foll: Preuss - Jacobs - Higgins

Int (from): Atley, Dumont, Turner, Mountford, Dow/Cerra, Ahern

There's a fair bit of investment in young key position defenders that haven't really had enough exposure yet.

Neilson, Mckay and Durdin are enough to be content with for now and may just develop extremely well.

The smaller defenders have a decent blend including the underrated Marley Williams, the recently injured Wright, the decent/developing Vickers Willis as well a few midfielders/half backs coming into their prime years.

Not a disaster by any means, and if Thompson doesn't fall off the cliff, they'll have a decent output next year with Tarrant another shot at AA.

The key to fixing the midfield was to trade Goldstein and run with Preuss.

Incompetent list management aside, having a huge and talented ruckman in Preuss could hide a few weaknesses.

Cunnington, Ziebell, Higgins all have it in them to be AA.

A support crew of blue balled - McDonald, Dumont, Clarke, Atley, Mountford, Jacobs, Zurhaar, Hrovat, Simpkin, Garner, Turner, Ahern, pick 4 could easily show development under the right conditions and a dominant ruck.

McDonald and Ziebell may just be the guys to help Cunnington. Dumont also is expected to go to another level.
You can't keep saying guys like Jacobs, Wright,Thompson,MacMillan Ziebell, Atley,Hrovat, Williams are anything more than good ordinary AFL players. Higgins and Cunnington are just below A grade but Higgins is too easily tagged out of the game whilst Cunnington needs help and simply lacks a yard of pace which limits his influence on the game.

I think you'd be lucky if one of Nielsen/Durdin/EVW becomes good enough to partner Tarrant next year in defence and if more than 2 of Dumont, Clarke, Mountford, Zurhaar, Simpkin, Garner, Turner and Ahern become anything special. I think most could have a future in the AFL but you need more blue collar footballers while most of these guys scream future role player ie 18th-22nd man for me. I think Tarrant and Brown are excellent mentors for the young key talls while not many have better work ethic than Cunnington and Ziebell but you guys have to move on from the days of stockpiling inconsistent/middling talent in the hope of getting lucky and winning a flag and move into developing a legitimate core to build around.

The club already did the right thing moving on Gibson, Firrito, Petrie Thomas, Harvey, Dal Santo Ray Swallow etc. but it's time Waite, Goldstein, Atley, Wright, Higgins, Macmillan, Thompson, Ziebell start moving in that direction, either getting traded or accepting roles as VFL stalwarts who mentor the kids. Tarrant and Cunnington can oversee the actual rebuild of the club before bowing out when this year's pick 4 starts to become an above average-elite footy player.

No Essendon side should have Hooker in defence. He will be playing forward, I mean he didn't even go back when we had Ambrose and Brown out injured with no key defender to come in.

FB: Gleeson - Hartley - Ambrose
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Saad
MF: Zaharakis - Heppell - Z Merrett
HF: Stringer - Daniher - McDonald-Tipungwuti
FF: Fantasia - Hooker - Stewart
OB: Bellchambers - Smith - Langford
IC: McGrath - Parish - Goddard - Redman*

EM: Begley - Laverde - Brown

*Redman is a bolter for me due to his versatility. He can play forward, back and in the middle, has good pace and a lot of campaigner in him. Can see that spot being taken by Myers, Laverde, Begley, Francis, even Long or Clarke.

B: Jonas Clurey Byrne-Jones
HB: Hartlett Howard Hombsch
C: Pittard Boak Polec
HF: Motlop Watts Powell-Pepper
F: Wingard Dixon R. Gray

R: Ryder Rockliff Wines

INT: Westhoff Ebert Bonner Neade

EMG: Broadbent Houston S. Gray

History says there will be an absolute minimum of two changes at each club from the final 2017 game, with an average of seven changes per club over the last decade.

I know it's trivial, but I keep seeing Port teams with Watts at CHF. Watts isn't a CHF. Watts is a third tall/link player. When you think about a traditional CHF, who presents as a down the line marking target, or robust pack crasher when the occasion arises, you're thinking about the antithesis of Watts.

His height makes him a difficult matchup for a smaller opponent who he can outmark, but despite being 196cm he's never played a key forward role well. It's not his strength and I'm sure Hinkley will try to maximise his strengths. Which won't be as a CHF.

Hardwick Frawley Stratton
Birchall Brand Sicily

Smith Mitchell O’Meara
McEvoy Burgoyne Shiels

Gunston Burton Rioli
Bruest Rough Poppy

Howe Timmy O Impey and.....

Glass

That team is less s**t than I thought actually.

Watch out!!

I know it's trivial, but I keep seeing Port teams with Watts at CHF. Watts isn't a CHF. Watts is a third tall/link player. When you think about a traditional CHF, who presents as a down the line marking target, or robust pack crasher when the occasion arises, you're thinking about the antithesis of Watts.

His height makes him a difficult matchup for a smaller opponent who he can outmark, but despite being 196cm he's never played a key forward role well. It's not his strength and I'm sure Hinkley will try to maximise his strengths. Which won't be as a CHF.

yep

I think Westhoff, Watts and Marshall all play a similar role atm. Marshall in time will be the full forward but until he stacks on weight, Westhoff and Watts will rotate on the wing/ up the ground and rest up forward.

I'm not sure whether Dixon will play CHF or FF though which will effect overall game day strategy and use of Watts and Westhoff.

No Essendon side should have Hooker in defence. He will be playing forward, I mean he didn't even go back when we had Ambrose and Brown out injured with no key defender to come in.

*Redman is a bolter for me due to his versatility. He can play forward, back and in the middle, has good pace and a lot of campaigner in him. Can see that spot being taken by Myers, Laverde, Begley, Francis, even Long or Clarke.
Bloody hell thats an unproven midfield which is saying it lightly...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Hardwick, Frawley, Stratton
HB: Sicily, Brand, Birchall
C: Shiels, Burgoyne, Smith
HF: Burton, TOB, Gunston
FF: Rioli, Roughead, Bruest

R: McEvoy, Mitchall, OMeara

INT: Puopolo, Impey, Henderson, Glass

Emg: Ceglar, Langford, Duryea, Shoey.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bloody hell thats an unproven midfield which is saying it lightly...
Needs to happen. Take one step back to take two forward.

FB - M.Williams - Tarrant - Wright
HB - Ed Vickers Willis - Thompson - Nielson
C - Clarke - Dumont - Wood
HF - Higgins - Waite - Garner
FF - Ziebell - Brown - Simpkin
R - Preuss - Cunnington - Mountford
Int - Goldstein - Turner - Macmillan - Mcdonald
That side is going to be scary good in 2-3 years

Swap Parish with Langford, Zerrett with Smith and Laverde with Redman and I think you're looking at the 2018 AFL Premiership team.

Swap Parish with Langford, Zerrett with Smith and Laverde with Redman and I think you're looking at the 2018 AFL Premiership team.
I honestly don't think it matters that much mate

FB: Brown Hartigan Doedee
HB: Gibbs Talia Laird

C: Seedsman Sloane Atkins
R: Jacobs Crouch Crouch

HF: Lynch Walker Douglas
FF: Betts Jenkins McGovern

IC: Otten Greenwood Gallucci Milera

Res:
Def: Kelly, Cheney, Keath
Mid: Gibson, Hampton, Poholke, Signorello, Mackay, Knight
Fwd: Jarman, Himmelberg, Dear, Davis
Ruck: O'Brien, Hunter

Inj: Smith

Res:

No Knight and Himmelburg a bit of a surprise. Himmelburg maybe developing I get that.

Res:

No Kelly? He was one of your best GF day and has improved out of sight.

No Knight and Himmelburg a bit of a surprise. Himmelburg maybe developing I get that.
I expect Knight to be in the best 22 & Will need his hard running & pressure with Cameron at Brisbane.

Doubt Himmelberg will be best 22, but hopefully gets some games.

I expect Knight to be in the best 22 & Will need his hard running & pressure with Cameron at Brisbane.

Doubt Himmelberg will be best 22, but hopefully gets some games.
:cool:If you don't want him, I dare say we could find a spot for him. I get It wont happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back