I:
Sam Naismith(I) , Zak Jones, Jarrad McVeigh, Harry Cunningham*

Bold - Lock
Underline - Safe/ish
* - Danger Zone
(I) - Injured/in doubt for Round 1

From the Grand Final team:
Out: Mitchell, Richards, McGlynn
In: Aliir and Reid are two automatic inclusions if fit. Cunningham is probably the next best option from those just outside of the best 22, but like Hewett he is far from safe, I think there are 2-3 spots for grabs for Round 1.
In the mix: Nic Newman, Colin O'Riordan, Darcy Cameron, Will Hayward, Oliver Florent, Shaun Edwards

Boyd - Adams - Murphy
JJ - Morris - Wood
Macrae - Bontempelli - Hunter
Stringer - Cloke - Crameri
Dickson - Boyd - Smith
Roughead - Liberatore - Dahlhaus

Picken, Daniel, Biggs.

Then one of Dunkley/Suckling/Jong/McLean/Webb/Williams while Wallis is out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Ryan Harwood, Jack Frost, Darcy Gardiner
HB: Sam Mayes, Harris Andrews, Tom Cutler
C: Daniel Rich, Dayne Beams, Dayne Zorko
HF: Lewis Taylor, Josh Schache, Tom Bell
F: Allen Christensen, Josh Walker or Hipwood (depends on who's the better second ruck), Daniel McStay
Foll: Stefan Martin, Tom Rockliff, Mitch Robinson
I/C: Ryan Bastinac, Ben Keays, Rhys Mathieson, Hugh McCluggage

Emg: Rohan Bewick, Josh Walker or Eric Hipwood, Ryan Lester

OR...

B: Claye Beams, Jack Frost, Darcy Gardiner
HB: Tom Cutler, Harris Andrews, Sam Mayes
C: Dayne Zorko, Dayne Beams, Daniel Rich
HF: Hugh McCluggage, Michael Close, Lewis Taylor
F: Allen Christensen, Josh Schache, Josh Walker
Foll: Stefan Martin, Tom Rockliff, Ryan Bastinac
I/C: Mitch Robinson, Tom Bell, Ben Keays, Rohan Bewick

Emg: Eric Hipwood, Jake Barrett, Rhys Mathieson

Sydney Swans

B:
Jake Lloyd, Heath Grundy, Nick Smith
HB:
Aliir Aliir, Jeremy Laidler, Dane Rampe
C:
Kieren Jack, Josh Kennedy, Callum Mills
HF:
Gary Rohan, Lance Franklin, Luke Parker
F:
Tom Papley(I), Sam Reid , George Hewett*
R: Kurt Tippett , Dan Hannebery, Isaac Heeney
I:
Sam Naismith(I) , Zak Jones, Jarrad McVeigh, Harry Cunningham*

Bold - Lock
Underline - Safe/ish
* - Danger Zone
(I) - Injured/in doubt for Round 1

From the Grand Final team:
Out:
Mitchell, Richards, McGlynn
In: Aliir and Reid are two automatic inclusions if fit. Cunningham is probably the next best option from those just outside of the best 22, but like Hewett he is far from safe, I think there are 2-3 spots for grabs for Round 1.
In the mix: Nic Newman, Colin O'Riordan, Darcy Cameron, Will Hayward, Oliver Florent, Shaun Edwards
J.Foote?
No way Heeney is locked into playing on the ball. Especially early on.

J.Foote?
No way Heeney is locked into playing on the ball. Especially early on.
Foote is in the mix but so are 4-5 others
Heeney will have time up forward but he will spend longer stints on the ball IMO
Interestingly, Heeney and Zak Jones had a lot of midfield time in last Friday's intra club and K.Jack actually spent a bit of time up forward...

Foote is in the mix but so are 4-5 others
Heeney will have time up forward but he will spend longer stints on the ball IMO
Interestingly, Heeney and Zak Jones had a lot of midfield time in last Friday's intra club and K.Jack actually spent a bit of time up forward...
Loved what Jones did in the finals series last year. He's great to watch so hope he doesn't turn out to be Langford-esque.

Last edited:
B..Brown,Tallia,Lever
HB..Smith,Hartigan,Laird
C..Hampson,M Crouch,Cameron
HF..Lynch,Walker,Atkins
F..Betts,McGovern,Jenkins
R..Jacobs,Sloane,Thompson
INT..Milera,Douglas,Knight,Ellis-Yolmen

Emg..Menzel,Cheney,Doedee,Galluci..

Here's how I see Port and Suns pre-JLT. Pretty comfortable with Port's starting 18 but the bench may be a raffle. For the Suns will be interesting to see how they set up down back with Thompson and possibly McKenzie returning to the side and with Day, Fiorini, Hanley, Martin and Bowes all being mentioned as players who could rotate through.

PA:

FB: D. Byrne-Jones, L. Austin, T. Jonas
HB: J. Pittard, J. Hombsch, H. Hartlett
C: M. Broadbent, T. Boak, J. Polec
HF: B. Ebert, J. Trengove, J. Westhoff
FF: C. Wingard, C. Dixon, A. Young
R: P. Ryder, O. Wines, R. Gray

INT: J. Impey, N. Krakouer, M. White, S. Powell-Pepper (pace for days on this line.)

EMG: T. Clurey, A. Monfries, S. Gray

GC:

FB: A. Saad, S. May, T. McKenzie
HB: J. Harbrow, R. Thompson, K. Kolodjashnij
C: M. Rosa, M. Barlow, P. Hanley
HF: G. Ablett, T. Lynch, J. Lyons
FF: J. Martin, P. Wright, B. Ainsworth
R: J. Witts, D. Swallow, A. Hall

INT: T. Miller, S. Day, B. Fiorini, C. Ah Chee

EMG: J. Bowes, A. Sexton, J. Lonergan

Last edited:
Here's how I see Port and Suns pre-JLT. Pretty comfortable with Port's starting 18 but the bench may be a raffle. For the Suns will be interesting to see how they set up down back with Thompson and possibly McKenzie returning to the side and with Day, Fiorini, Hanley, Martin and Bowes all being mentioned as players who could rotate through.

PA:

FB: D. Byrne-Jones, L. Austin, T. Jonas
HB: J. Pittard, J. Hombsch, H. Hartlett
C: M. Broadbent, T. Boak, J. Pittard
HF: B. Ebert, J. Trengove, J. Westhoff
FF: C. Wingard, C. Dixon, A. Young
R: P. Ryder, O. Wines, R. Gray

INT: J. Impey, N. Krakouer, M. White, S. Powell-Pepper (pace for days on this line.)

EMG: T. Clurey, A. Monfries, S. Gray
I love Jasper too, but I'm not sure he can handle playing two positions at once ;)

Two observations looking at that Port side on paper.
1. It's staggering how shallow their midfield rotation is compared to most other clubs. Pretty good reason why they may have struggled over the past couple of seasons.
2. Looking at their forward set-up and what they have said about Trengove likely playing Ruck/Fwd, I'm not so certain that our SC main man Eddy will be likely to force his way in, at least not early on. Team balance wise, I'm not sure it would make much sense, especially considering Monfries isn't even picked in that best 22 and I would have thought that he would get a chance before our man as well.

I love Jasper too, but I'm not sure he can handle playing two positions at once ;)

Two observations looking at that Port side on paper.
1. It's staggering how shallow their midfield rotation is compared to most other clubs. Pretty good reason why they may have struggled over the past couple of seasons.
2. Looking at their forward set-up and what they have said about Trengove likely playing Ruck/Fwd, I'm not so certain that our SC main man Eddy will be likely to force his way in, at least not early on. Team balance wise, I'm not sure it would make much sense, especially considering Monfries isn't even picked in that best 22 and I would have thought that he would get a chance before our man as well.
Haha that must have been my hoping that Polec will the equal of Pittard.

Yeah it is shallow for first choice mids at the minute, hopefully two of Snelling, Atley, SPP amd Drew can come on by next year. All of Wingard, Young, Broadbent and possibly SPP of this team can suit up in the center square with Krak, Impey and White to support the wings/flanks. I hope we can breakeven in this area with this group.

Forwards the big unknown, I really hope Eddy is up for it and Westhoff can be pushed up to the wing to be the enigma he is.

For Geelong

B: Stewart Lonergan Kolodjashnij
HB: Thurlow Henderson Thuoy
C: Menengola Guthrie S.Selwood
HF: Blicavs Taylor Cockatoo
F: Menzel Hawkins Motlop
R: Smith Dangerfield J.Selwood
I: Duncan Stanley Lang McCarthy

Although it looks like Cocky might cop a suspension and McCarthy has a shoulder issue Plus Menzel and Kolo are racing to be fit for round 1

For Geelong

Although it looks like Cocky might cop a suspension and McCarthy has a shoulder issue Plus Menzel and Kolo are racing to be fit for round 1
No Mackie, Bews or Ruggles?
Are they a bit top heavy? Tallest 22 in comp by a long way I would think. I count 11 blokes 190cm or above, plus Danger at 189

For Geelong

Amusing so many have Guthrie starting in the middle.

He failed there in 2016. He was moved into defence once Menegola / Scott Selwood came into the side, and only went back when required due to rotations.

His ball winning ability is horrible, contested possession & clearance stats over the last 2 years prove as such. He's less damaging and no faster than Motlop and Duncan (maybe even add Cockatoo to that list in 2017) too, so there's not argument for the 'outside mid' case either. If he has a place in the side, it's running off of half back. He needs space and time to be efficient, and doesn't like contact.

Guthrie is a contributor to one of Geelong's major issues, unable to win the footy when Selwood and Dangerfield are not in there. Without at least one of those 2 there, we get more or less slaughtered by all other 17 midfields.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back