Analysis Your teams best 23 for 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

B: Jeremy Howe ~ Billy Frampton ~ Brayden Maynard
HB: Isaac Quaynor ~ Darcy Moore ~ Nick Daicos

M: Steele Sidebottom ~ Tom Mitchell ~ Josh Daicos
R: Darcy Cameron ~ Jack Crisp ~ Jordan De Goey

HF: Patrick Lipinski ~ Dan McStay ~ Scott Pendlebury
F: Bobby Hill ~ Brodie Mihocek ~ Jamie Elliott

I/C: John Noble ~ Taylor Adams ~ Jack Ginnivan ~ Mason Cox ~ Will Hoskin-Elliott

Emg/Depth: Beau McCreery, Josh Carmichael, Trent Bianco, Finlay Macrae, Ash Johnson, Nathan Kreuger, Nathan Murphy, Charlie Dean, Trey Ruscoe, Joe Richards, Reef McInnes

I/C: John Noble ~ Taylor Adams ~ Jack Ginnivan ~ Mason Cox ~ Will Hoskin-Elliott

Emg/Depth: Beau McCreery, Josh Carmichael, Trent Bianco, Finlay Macrae, Ash Johnson, Nathan Kreuger, Nathan Murphy, Charlie Dean, Trey Ruscoe, Joe Richards, Reef McInnes
That's got Premiership team written all over it.

It's going to be very hard to get a game at Geelong in 2023. It's going to be a hot pre season.

B: Bews, DeKoning, Z.Guthrie
HB: Stewart, J.Henry, Duncan
C: Holmes, Clark, Bruhn
HF: Close, Cameron, O.Henry
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Parfitt
Foll: Stanley, C.Guthrie, Dangerfield

Int: Blicavs, Bowes, Atkins, Smith, Tuohy

Emergenicies: Rohan, Miers, Mullin.

That team is still incredible and is a lock for top 4 next season…

still has zero holes with great depth..can’t see that “cliff” coming for at least another 2 seasons..that centre line will make a lot of cats fans smile.

Amazing how so many opposition fans think the cats don’t have enough “elite” young talent and their list is “too old”- Players like Atkins. Close, de koning , Henry,z.Guthrie,Holmes, miers, parfitt, bowes, bruhn, Clark are all still young and will only get better…scary for other teams.

Last edited:
That team is still incredible and is a lock for top 4 next season…

still has zero holes with great depth..can’t see that “cliff” coming for at least another 2 seasons..that centre line will make a lot of cats fans smile.

Amazing how so many opposition fans think the cats don’t have enough “elite” talent and their lost is “too old”- Players like Atkins. Close, de koning , Henry,z.Guthrie,Holmes, miers, parfitt, bowes, bruhn, Clark are all still young and will only get better…scary for other teams.
Cats will go into the season with approximately 30 players capable of playing senior football at any time. There is still Neale, Conway, O'Connor, Rats, Dempsey etc. Competition will be fierce...

Last edited:

McCreery unlucky

I am not saying it is a bad team at all but that is a very weak group of KPF's.
Is that the worst forward line in the comp?

Maybe I just don’t rate McStay or Mihochek enough.

Is that the worst forward line in the comp?

Maybe I just don’t rate McStay or Mihochek enough.
Well he’s put an inside mid and a half back/mid on the forward flanks so it doesn’t look great. Mihocek and Ginnivan both kicked 40 goals this year and we all know that Elliott is very good albeit injury prone. McStay is serviceable and has been brought in to improve structure, and I’ll bet the coaches play one of Kreuger or Johnson as a third tall. McCreery is a good pressure forward and occasional goal kicker and will either be in the 22 or very stiff to miss. Our forward line isn’t as good as Geelong’s or Brisbanes but I think it’s good enough to compete with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what I hope our best 23 is by the end of the season..I think the likes of Impey, Worpel, Koschitzke, nash and greene will play early on but will be replaced.

FB: Hardwick, Blanck, Grainger-Barrass
HB: Jiath, Sicily, Scrimshaw
C: Amon, Newcombe, Day
HF: Moore, Meek, macdonald
FF: Breust Lewis, Wingard
R: Reeves, Ward, Mackenzie
I: Morrison, Stephens, Bramble, Maginness (Weddle)

Depth: Worpel, Jeka, Butler, Long, Nash, Lynch, Serong, Koschitzke, Impey, Morris, Greene, Frost,

FB: Paton - Cordy - Wilkie
HB: Battle - Howard - Sinclair
C: Hill - Steele - McKenzie
HF: Billings - Sharman - Gresham
FF: Butler - Membrey - Higgins
R: Marshall - Crouch - Ross
I: Jones - Coffield - Phillipou - Windhager - Campbell/Hayes*

Forward structure is going to have to play smaller with King out. We don't have a true KPF option to replace him so would prefer to change the structure/plan instead of trying to cover the cracks with a ruck or KPD swung forward.

Defence looks pretty settled. Cordy or Van Es at FB allows Howard to get up the ground and be more attacking. His best work for us was when Nath Brown or Jake Carlisle were in the team on the last line. I didn't like his work last year, despite the team defence being much better under Enright.

Tommy Campbell to back up Marshall until Hayes is fit.

Bench will be interesting - Jimmy Webster stiff but I cant see him and Paton both playing. With the extra tall coming in Wilkie gets back to playing on more midzie options which pushed JWeb out.

Owens, Clark, Wood, Wanganeen-Milera all viable options. Highmore had a huge year in the VFL. Could see him becoming a Ross Lyon favourite ala Sammy Gilbert but I'm not sure who comes out. Lenny Hayes is apparently very keen on Jack Bytel as well.

Much like 2007, I think it'll take 12 months for Ross to sort through the list and really put his stamp on things. King out is a huge blow though. Finals would be a bonus but missing one of our 2 most important players for 7-10 weeks is too much at the moment.

If we can stop the random beltings and get a consistent effort week to week then I think we can finish in that 8-11 range and look to launch into the top 4-6 in 2024.

Assuming a full list to select from:
FB Duryea Gardner Jones
HB Richards Keath Dale
MID Macrae Treloar B.Smith
HF Hannan Naughton West
FF Weightman Lobb JUH
RUC English Bont Libba
INT Daniel Williams McLean Darcy
Sub from Baker, R.Smith, Scott, Vandermeer, Clarke

It's a pretty strong squad on paper. The most at risk position would probably be Hannan, but I included him as he occupies that mid-sized role that has been essentially barren since Tory Dickson retired. Another option is slotting Charlie Clarke in there alongside Weightman.

Having all of Lobb, Naughton, Jamarra and Darcy in the team may be a risk, but the flexibility Darcy brings is too valuable to leave in the vfl, and decreases the vulnerability should a key position player go down.

Probably, but it was a team with an eye to the future.
Just quietly. * future.
We were 81 points better than the runners up. There's a B2B to chase.

Let the usual suspects who miss finals for 10-20 years focus on the future.
Make hay while we still can. If by years end Reg, Smith and Rohan (last one is very plausible tbf) are out of the side then great guns.

Suns 2023.

Defence

Lemmens collins farrar
Powell Ballard Weller
Long
(bench)

Unheralded but solid defence. Weller and Powell back in full training despite Significant injuries latter part of the year and looking likely for round 1. Lemmens and Farrar both good against the small - mid forwards. Somewhat lacking someone who can reliably go with the elite electric smaller forwards (Cameron, Stengle rankine etc) that would be Connor budarick (acl) he will be back in main group training from January so hopefully good to go first half of the year. Long to add some toughness and another rebounder.

Could go taller with Graham (improving) or Andrew who showed some great signs late last year.

Midfield

Hollands miller ellis
Witts anderson rowell
Swallow Flanders (bench)
Davies (sub)

Improving group lead by the excellent miller. Anderson an outstanding 22, should go to another level in 23. Rowell beginning to find his feet after dealing with OP. Swallow tried in other positions early in 2022 but had a massive impact when back in the middle last half of the year. Flanders had huge VFL finals campaign and looks set to make a mark after being played out of position as a pressure forward or a winger in AFL team more recently. Hollands looked great after making a late year debut. Can impact the scoreboard from the wing. May play a bit of half forward as well. Davies can make an impact as sub. Big, explosive mid. Can take a mark and kick a goal. Expecting more improvement in year 3.

Fiorini, sharp, Jed anderson the next cabs off the rank.

Forwards

Ainsworth, chol, lukosius
Rosas, king, Jeffrey
Holman (bench)

King back is huge. Had a great 2021 kicking 43 goals to round 19 before tailing off at the end, impact will be massive. If chol can match his 2022 year, they will form a dynamic duo who can each kick goals from pack marks, from a lead and in open play. Jeffrey much the same. Tall and agile. Insanely skilled. Kicked 8 goals and had 6 contested marks in last 4 games (excluding a soaked low scoring match vs Freo) - will score goals. Ainsworth one of the hardest workers in the team - 2nd in the league for goal assists also top 20 for score involvements and tackles inside 50 (for most of year) whilst also improving his coversion % in ‘22. Lukosius to build on 2022. Should play as a high half forward where he showed some good things. Think king back will help him. Needs to fix his set shot kicking! Rosas and holman to bring hood pressure probably good for 1.5 goals a game between them.

Sexton can score but defensive pressure not quite there - a reserve option, Bailey Humphrey has potential to play this year. Casboult may be called upon if chol / king not crashing packs. Burgess the VFL leading goal kicker a solid backup option.

Overall, a well rounded team with good depth options. should be pushing for finals if can maintain health.

Suns 2023.

Defence

Lemmens collins farrar
Powell Ballard Weller
Long
(bench)

Unheralded but solid defence. Weller and Powell back in full training despite Significant injuries latter part of the year and looking likely for round 1. Lemmens and Farrar both good against the small - mid forwards. Somewhat lacking someone who can reliably go with the elite electric smaller forwards (Cameron, Stengle rankine etc) that would be Connor budarick (acl) he will be back in main group training from January so hopefully good to go first half of the year. Long to add some toughness and another rebounder.

Could go taller with Graham (improving) or Andrew who showed some great signs late last year.

Midfield

Hollands miller ellis
Witts anderson rowell
Swallow Flanders (bench)
Davies (sub)

Improving group lead by the excellent miller. Anderson an outstanding 22, should go to another level in 23. Rowell beginning to find his feet after dealing with OP. Swallow tried in other positions early in 2022 but had a massive impact when back in the middle last half of the year. Flanders had huge VFL finals campaign and looks set to make a mark after being played out of position as a pressure forward or a winger in AFL team more recently. Hollands looked great after making a late year debut. Can impact the scoreboard from the wing. May play a bit of half forward as well. Davies can make an impact as sub. Big, explosive mid. Can take a mark and kick a goal. Expecting more improvement in year 3.

Fiorini, sharp, Jed anderson the next cabs off the rank.

Forwards

Ainsworth, chol, lukosius
Rosas, king, Jeffrey
Holman (bench)

King back is huge. Had a great 2021 kicking 43 goals to round 19 before tailing off at the end, impact will be massive. If chol can match his 2022 year, they will form a dynamic duo who can each kick goals from pack marks, from a lead and in open play. Jeffrey much the same. Tall and agile. Insanely skilled. Kicked 8 goals and had 6 contested marks in last 4 games (excluding a soaked low scoring match vs Freo) - will score goals. Ainsworth one of the hardest workers in the team - 2nd in the league for goal assists also top 20 for score involvements and tackles inside 50 (for most of year) whilst also improving his coversion % in ‘22. Lukosius to build on 2022. Should play as a high half forward where he showed some good things. Think king back will help him. Needs to fix his set shot kicking! Rosas and holman to bring hood pressure probably good for 1.5 goals a game between them.

Sexton can score but defensive pressure not quite there - a reserve option, Bailey Humphrey has potential to play this year. Casboult may be called upon if chol / king not crashing packs. Burgess the VFL leading goal kicker a solid backup option.

Overall, a well rounded team with good depth options. should be pushing for finals if can maintain health.
A good sum up. I agree with most of it.

Personally, I temper expectation on players coming from ACLs in their first year. In some case it takes half/full season to come back fully. But then there is Witts, who was fantastic in 2022, coming back from ACL after only 10 months.

Personally, I can't see Budarick playing on players like Cameron. Yes, in 2022 he was coming back from 1st ACL but he was quite underwhelming for me except Darwin's games. On his comeback. he cost us in several games. Players like Bailey and Ginnivan took him to cleaners. He did 2nd ACL in round 16. I will be surprised to see him in AFL in 2023, possibly late if at all. I suspect it will still be up to Lemmens to deal with Cameron type of players and possibly Long.

I could see Powell playing on the wing and Hollands spending more time forward.

I see both Davies and Flanders in the best 22, adding more rotations to midfield compared to 2022.

As for depth, I foresee, basically most players outside best 25 doing OK job. Besides obvious depth players like Fiorini, Casboult, Burgess, Day, Sexton, Jed Anderson, Atkins and others, personally, I am curious how will young players go. Can Ace get more games, can Moyle play if Witts needs a break, can Faulkhead get opportunity on the wing, how much progress can we see from Graham, Andrew, Brock, is Uwland up to it, can Lloyd get a game. VFL team should be killing it.

Last edited:
A good sum up. I agree with most of it.

Personally, I temper expectation on players coming from ACLs in their first year. In some case it takes half/full season to come back fully. But then there is Witts, who was fantastic in 2022, coming back from ACL after only 10 months.

Personally, I can't see Budarick playing on players like Cameron. Yes, in 2022 he was coming back from 1st ACL but he was quite underwhelming for me except Darwin's games. On his comeback. he cost us in several games. Players like Bailey and Ginnivan took him to cleaners. He did 2nd ACL in round 16. I will be surprised to see him in AFL in 2023, possibly late if at all. I suspect it will still be up to Lemmens to deal with Cameron type of players and possibly Long.

I could see Powell playing on the wing and Hollands spending more time forward.

I see both Davies and Flanders in best 22, adding more rotations to midfield compared to 2022.

As for depth, I foresee, basically most players outside best 25 doing OK job. Besides obvious depth players like Fiorini, Casboult, Burgess, Day, Sexton, Atkins and others, personally, I am curious how will young players go. Can Ace get more games, can Moyle play if Witts needs a break, can Faulkhead get opportunity on the wing, how much progress can we see from Graham, Andrew, Brock, is Uwland up to it, can Lloyd get a game. VFL team should be killing it.

For us to be finals challengers we need fringe 22 players like Flanders, Davies, Rosas, Farrar, Graham etc. to develop into clear positive AFL players far more than we need VFL level kids to get a few games in the AFL.
I know you’re high on faulkhead and Brock. I think they’re both miles off AFL still, particularly Faulkhead, despite both showing a few glimpses in the VFL.

I agree budarick took some time to find his feet coming back but I definitely think he can be that guy longer term. Maybe it is 2024 for him given 2 injuries.. I’m ok with him to build some consistency in the vfl team back half of next year, hit the preseason ready for 2024.

For us to be finals challengers we need fringe 22 players like Flanders, Davies, Rosas, Farrar, Graham etc. to develop into clear positive AFL players far more than we need VFL level kids to get a few games in the AFL.
I know you’re high on faulkhead and Brock. I think they’re both miles off AFL still, particularly Faulkhead, despite both showing a few glimpses in the VFL.

I agree budarick took some time to find his feet coming back but I definitely think he can be that guy longer term. Maybe it is 2024 for him given 2 injuries.. I’m ok with him to build some consistency in the vfl team back half of next year, hit the preseason ready for 2024.
Yeah, it will be up to 30-32 best to deliver finals. I guess the important question is - are those 25-32 players good enough.

For me the key is still midfield. We were too young and inexperienced there in 2022 and did not play enough rotations for whatever reason. Extra pre-season for Anderson, Rowell, Davies, Flanders - can some of them take it to another level. Can Rowell stay healthy and have a full pre-season. How Hollands will go. Powell, Weller and King are important ins too.

2 ACLs for Budarick makes me worried about his comeback.

No doubt, Brock, Faulkhead are not AFL quality players at the moment and will be lucky to get a game especially Faulkhead. No argument there. It's just me curious how will they go. Although I have to say Brock did have a very good VFL finals (Suns top 5 for me) and improved late in the season. As a 3rd tall, I could see him getting a game if injuries hit. Good closing speed, a great kick works for him, started to read the game well, put some extra weight in the off-season.

Last edited:
FB: Paton - Cordy - Wilkie
HB: Battle - Howard - Sinclair
C: Hill - Steele - McKenzie
HF: Billings - Sharman - Gresham
FF: Butler - Membrey - Higgins
R: Marshall - Crouch - Ross
I: Jones - Coffield - Phillipou - Windhager - Campbell/Hayes*

The problem with St Kilda's lineup, as has been for quite a while now is there is a lot of sameness about the team. I look at that team and I am struggling to think of a player there an opposition would really need to focus on stopping, or some sort of X factor about the team.

I mean it isn't a bad team as such, but it isn't a team that really strikes fear in anyone.

The problem with St Kilda's lineup, as has been for quite a while now is there is a lot of sameness about the team. I look at that team and I am struggling to think of a player there an opposition would really need to focus on stopping, or some sort of X factor about the team.

I mean it isn't a bad team as such, but it isn't a team that really strikes fear in anyone.

Correct…that team is 9th-14th range and will be for them at least the next 3 years. It’s the worst position to be in.

It’s why I’m happy the hawks have done what they have. At least we have a direction and know what to expect over the next 3 years…the saints list is in a terrible position.

You look at their under 23s and other than max king (injured), windhager and maybe owens, there’s just nothing to get excited about…phillipou looks to be a potential star but we won’t know for another 2-3 years.

billings, Gresham, Clark and coffield needed to become elite players for them to challenge for a flag..Gresham is probably the only one that’s above a solid b-grader.

Collingwood:

I have grouped them in areas on the field.

Backs i have:

Moore
Howe
Frampton
Maynard
Quaynor
N Daicos

Mids i have:

Pendles
Adams
Mitchell
De Goey