Discussion Your Ten Commandments (Rules) of SuperCoach

1. Thou shall not undermine the credibility of a proven SP until said SP gives you reason to doubt them
2. Thou shall not fall victim to the phrase "Heeney/Mills is going to play midfield this year!!!" during pre-season
3. Thou shall not pick Tom Rockliff - already been said by so many disciples of this Church because this campaigner has burned all of us at least twice
4. Thou shall regularly and aggressively complain about the fabled KOTD when it blesses a player you do not own, and yet praise it in all it's glory when your captain receives +15 for a missed handball
5. Thou shall regularly praise Shannon Hurn's thighs
6. Thou shall not pick a rookie that plays for North Melbourne
7. Thou shall compare any dud rookie to the complete shitshow that was Relton Roberts and realise that it truly can get worse
8. Thou shall realise that playing SuperCoach is not about picking the best players, but those who have incriminating pictures of the campaigner Data staff (see Lloyd, Jake)
9. Thou shall not pick KPP unless that KPP is peak Lance Franklin
10. Thou shall ensure that they are present on the the SC forum for the highs and lows, the 1750s and the 2400s, the multibye rounds where we can hardly get 14 players together and the rounds where 8 premo mids score 130, lest they incur the wrath of the fat spider lurking in the shadows

1. Thou shall trade often as possible.
2. I don't have any other rules, those are for nerds.

Physician, (know and) heal thyself

We’re all only human. We’ve all got our tendencies, biases, our weaknesses. And it’s important to be honest with yourself about the way you go about it.

Have a look at your trade history over the last year or two, it's sometimes bloody interesting what you uncover:

viases.png

Some of these things are tough to avoid. If you’re going for overall, you have to go at a high upgrade cadence and start early, you want to try to hit full premo as soon as you can and then hold on tight.

It’s the nature of the beast and you can’t wait for all the cows to max out before you neck them, sometimes they have to say hello to uncle stun bolt a bit earlier than you’d hoped.(If that's your goal, be single-minded, no sidewaysing, combining the two is what sees a lot of coaches run out of trades early. Unless those trades are used on Scotty Lycett, in which case there's no such thing as a wasted trade.)

But:
  • going with too many players from your footy team (if you feel the need to scratch that itch, picking the player in Draft is a great way to have the fun of picking them without the downside risk);
  • starting blokes you were never really convinced on and then flicking them as soon as an excuse presents (as I did with Josh Dunkley – started him, was worried about the role, the role wasn’t flash early doors, so I moved him on very early. It wasted a trade and cost a HEAP of points – which served me right for having the itchiest trigger finger of all time.)
  • paying upper echelon coin for unreliable keys (also known as the Jeremy Cameron can go * himself and die in a ditch, the useless sack of s**t);
  • copping doughies due to avoidable bye imbalances if you’re going for overall (not necessarily leagues);
  • not placing enough emphasis on durability and consistency of output in your premos;
are all things you can take steps to avoid if you have found yourself falling victim to them too often in the past.

You don’t have to throw the bathwater out with the baby, the main thing is just to remind yourself of tendencies you might have and try to reduce them.

Honestly, reckon most of the other points I was thinking of have already been covered by some great posts here, from SC minds who've got me covered comfortably.

One very simple one:

Set yourself alarms / reminders:
Time and time again we forget to check an E setting, don't maximize our loop possibilities, forget to trigger the Captain's loop. Sometimes life really does get in the way, but it's so easy these days just to set a reminder on your phone to check on a full-time score, check for late ins/outs before pulling the trigger on a trade, that sort of gear.

Might try to put up a post on averages over the course of a season and variance, reckon that is always really interesting to look at.

Physician, (know and) heal thyself

We’re all only human. We’ve all got our tendencies, biases, our weaknesses. And it’s important to be honest with yourself about the way you go about it.

Have a look at your trade history over the last year or two, it's sometimes bloody interesting what you uncover:

View attachment 817683
Some of these things are tough to avoid. If you’re going for overall, you have to go at a high upgrade cadence and start early, you want to try to hit full premo as soon as you can and then hold on tight.

It’s the nature of the beast and you can’t wait for all the cows to max out before you neck them, sometimes they have to say hello to uncle stun bolt a bit earlier than you’d hoped.(If that's your goal, be single-minded, no sidewaysing, combining the two is what sees a lot of coaches run out of trades early. Unless those trades are used on Scotty Lycett, in which case there's no such thing as a wasted trade.)

But:
  • going with too many players from your footy team (if you feel the need to scratch that itch, picking the player in Draft is a great way to have the fun of picking them without the downside risk);
  • starting blokes you were never really convinced on and then flicking them as soon as an excuse presents (as I did with Josh Dunkley – started him, was worried about the role, the role wasn’t flash early doors, so I moved him on very early. It wasted a trade and cost a HEAP of points – which served me right for having the itchiest trigger finger of all time.)
  • paying upper echelon coin for unreliable keys (also known as the Jeremy Cameron can go fu** himself and die in a ditch, the useless sack of s**t);
  • copping doughies due to avoidable bye imbalances if you’re going for overall (not necessarily leagues);
  • not placing enough emphasis on durability and consistency of output in your premos;
are all things you can take steps to avoid if you have found yourself falling victim to them too often in the past.

You don’t have to throw the bathwater out with the baby, the main thing is just to remind yourself of tendencies you might have and try to reduce them.

Magnificent post.

Almost magnificent as Scarlett herself.

Which reminds me...

-Thou shalt worship at the alter of Scarlett the way CD worship their Seagull god.

Below is the CD CEO

images.jpeg-5.jpg

Us

tenor.gif

2020-02-05 10.38.40.jpg

tenor.gif

Oct 17, 2017
Puppies
AFL Club
West Coast
Honestly, reckon most of the other points I was thinking of have already been covered by some great posts here, from SC minds who've got me covered comfortably.

One very simple one:

Set yourself alarms / reminders:
Time and time again we forget to check an E setting, don't maximize our loop possibilities, forget to trigger the Captain's loop. Sometimes life really does get in the way, but it's so easy these days just to set a reminder on your phone to check on a full-time score, check for late ins/outs before pulling the trigger on a trade, that sort of gear.

Might try to put up a post on averages over the course of a season and variance, reckon that is always really interesting to look at.
Feck that sounds complicated, I just open up my second beer and and await the splendid Test Tickle

Greatest Super Coach poster alive. :moustache: :thumbsu:

1. Do not pick any player from the team you barrack for unless they are a rookie or a genuine premo
2. Never, ever, ever trade pissed
3. Don’t trade after Round 1. It’s easy to get sucked by one game. You’ve spent three months planning, stick to your structures
4. Never worry about culling early if it’s to downgrade to a rookie or results in bringing in a season keeper premo
5. * the Byes. You’ll trade half your side before you reach them. Start planning four rounds out but never let Byes compromise the best side you can get
6. Never pick a KPF. I was amazed at the attacks that came my way when I argued this at length 7-8 years ago. Those people have now learnt.
7. If a player burns you twice, never again
8. Never chase points. Slow and steady wins the race
9. Treat a trade as throwing away 150k
10. Norf players are not SC friendly

1. Trade hard, trade early. Start praying when you run out of trades.

2. DPP is :crown:

3. When in doubt VC/C loop the ruckmen.

4. Plan for the byes from the start.
Don't place too much stock into overall rankings until the completion of the bye rounds.

5. Averages are misguiding, total points is where you want your starting picks to shine.

6. There's nothing wrong with KPP, just loophole them every week, even if it's with a rookie.

7. Pick the older rookie priced players.

8. Intraclubs mean nothing. Preseason matches mean something, but not a lot. Trends from the second half of the prior year are more important.

9. There's nothing wrong with cookie cutter, your starting squad doesn't win you the game, but it sure can lose it for you, you win the game by trading.

10. Don't get frothied and mess up your team before the round 1 lockout, get frothied every other week instead, you can only cause minimal damage to your team and mental state with 2 terrible trades a week.

1. Trade hard, trade early. Start praying when you run out of trades.

2. DPP is :crown:

3. When in doubt VC/C loop the ruckmen.

4. Plan for the byes from the start.
Don't place too much stock into overall rankings until the completion of the bye rounds.

5. Averages are misguiding, total points is where you want your starting picks to shine.

6. There's nothing wrong with KPP, just loophole them every week, even if it's with a rookie.

7. Pick the older rookie priced players.

8. Intraclubs mean nothing. Preseason matches mean something, but not a lot. Trends from the second half of the prior year are more important.

9. There's nothing wrong with cookie cutter, your starting squad doesn't win you the game, but it sure can lose it for you, you win the game by trading.

10. Don't get frothied and mess up your team before the round 1 lockout, get frothied every other week instead, you can only cause minimal damage to your team and mental state with 2 terrible trades a week.

Like your point 6 - another tool to add to the arsenal

trouble is I usually have another spud requiring looping.

Back