Discussion Your Ten Commandments (Rules) of SuperCoach

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Safe starting side with proven premiums for each keeper picked, structure to be determined by where rookies and mid pricers 200-350 are
2. Try to find value 200-350k picks with reasonable scoring history in the past. Doesnt have to be elite scoring. 3 of these picks generally gives you better scoring early in the season than a 3 of 620k plus 2 123k players. These players are easy to trade out when the time comes or they become keepers like Ziebell.
3. Dont get attached to rookies, i got a bit of feedback about trading Powell at 381k but was the right move.
4. 3 trades only in first 5 rounds injuries permitting primarily for cash gen reasons and save trades across byes.
5. Spend your money in the midfield. Avoid at guessing the breakout mid. Parish was the one not Taranto this year for example, they can be difficult to be move on if not working out. Just avoid the 400-550 bracket in the mids and wait for the breakouts.
6. In the same vein once a breakout is looking likely dont be afraid to get on before others. 5 games is my threshold but i know others want more.
7. Upgrades before byes should have an eye to the byes.
8. Take a VC if above C average, also put the VC on the player you want for diuble points if you can
9. Never go to 0 trades with no ruck cover
10. Let your starting rooks fatten properly. They are generally the best rooks.
11. Dont bring expensive rooks after season start, RCD at 184, Chapman at 207, Atu at 175, Farrar at 184 were just bad ins, even Dev at 225k and Weightman 175k prob dont get the 150k profit you need from a trade in.
12. Durability is a must with starters, last upgrades can have less than ideal durability history if you have trades to cover.
13. Dont sideways especially during the upgrade cycle.
14. Set and forget rucks.
15. No floating donuts in starting side, get 30 playing if you can. Loopholes generally emerge quickly anyway.
15. Dont limit yourself to just 10 rules.

tl; dr #$%^& the byes

1. Safe starting side with proven premiums for each keeper picked, structure to be determined by where rookies and mid pricers 200-350 are
2. Try to find value 200-350k picks with reasonable scoring history in the past. Doesnt have to be elite scoring. 3 of these picks generally gives you better scoring early in the season than a 3 of 620k plus 2 123k players. These players are easy to trade out when the time comes or they become keepers like Ziebell.
3. Dont get attached to rookies, i got a bit of feedback about trading Powell at 381k but was the right move.
4. 3 trades only in first 5 rounds injuries permitting primarily for cash gen reasons and save trades across byes.
5. Spend your money in the midfield. Avoid at guessing the breakout mid. Parish was the one not Taranto this year for example, they can be difficult to be move on if not working out. Just avoid the 400-550 bracket in the mids and wait for the breakouts.
6. In the same vein once a breakout is looking likely dont be afraid to get on before others. 5 games is my threshold but i know others want more.
7. Upgrades before byes should have an eye to the byes.
8. Take a VC if above C average, also put the VC on the player you want for diuble points if you can
9. Never go to 0 trades with no ruck cover
10. Let your starting rooks fatten properly. They are generally the best rooks.
11. Dont bring expensive rooks after season start, RCD at 184, Chapman at 207, Atu at 175, Farrar at 184 were just bad ins, even Dev at 225k and Weightman 175k prob dont get the 150k profit you need from a trade in.
12. Durability is a must with starters, last upgrades can have less than ideal durability history if you have trades to cover.
13. Dont sideways especially during the upgrade cycle.
14. Set and forget rucks.
15. No floating donuts in starting side, get 30 playing if you can. Loopholes generally emerge quickly anyway.
15. Dont limit yourself to just 10 rules.

tl; dr #$%^& the byes
10 COMMANDMENTS

NOT ******* 15

TEN

How hard was that concept ffs

Even then 15 is listed twice

* me ❤❤

10 COMMANDMENTS

NOT ******* 15

TEN

How hard was that concept ffs

Even then 15 is listed twice

fu** me ❤❤
Hahaha. Was thinking the same thing, but no way could my reply be so eloquently put 🤣

This is the number one rule imo - If you are paying 400k+ for a player, you genuinely believe they will finish top 6/8 in their line, or extremely close. If you pay 350k for a player, they either need to appreciate to 500k or they arent worth it.
100% agree

if you pick your team with this in mind, as well as avoiding injury suss premos like williams (with cash gen players you can pick them but you have to weigh up the pros and cons + avoid picking too many; more than 3-4 midpricers is risky) and doing your best to avoid missing out on the super cash cows (at the start and over the season), then you should be giving yourself a pretty good chance at doing well.

when i say super cash cows i mean the ones that make over 200-250k in particular, the ones that will absolutely kill you to have missed out on. ziebell flynn jordon for instance this year

it hurts missing a cash cow that many own who made 150k like kosi or rowe but you can make up for them by having other guys who some might not have eg. butts. but missing the really top ones is a huge disadvantage which cant easily be made up for.

ROB the ultimate example in recent years (i missed him).

In my opinion POD premos doesnt make that huge a difference, its POD cash gen that really sets teams apart. if you can own most/all of the popular good cash gen players eg. highmore kosi powell jordon scott warner gulden flynn rowe etc but also get 1 or a few guys like daniher, jiath, cumming, butts, tex then you are really in great shape.

In my opinion POD premos doesnt make that huge a difference, its POD cash gen that really sets teams apart. if you can own most/all of the popular good cash gen players eg. highmore kosi powell jordon scott warner gulden flynn rowe etc but also get 1 or a few guys like daniher, jiath, cumming, butts, tex then you are really in great shape.

The trouble with the bolded guys is many people held onto them for too long, to the point they required 2 trades to upgrade to full premo when it could have been a single trade at peak price. I know it's hard to know exactly when to cash them out (or whether to cash out at all) but sometimes when your mid pricers are scoring like premo's early on it can encourage coaches to sideways their SPs who start a bit slowly because they figure all of these mid-pricers are keepers now and won't require as many upgrades to complete team only for the inevitable drop off in scoring from most of the Rd1 mid-pricers. But by that stage you're short on trades to move on 1-2 of the mid-pricers and end up stuck with them at D6/M8/F6 and sometimes even R2. MPM is a viable starting point but in order to succeed with it you can't get too attached to them and need to upgrade them to full premo when the opportunity presents.

Last edited:
The trouble with the bolded guys is many people held onto them for too long, to the point they required 2 trades to upgrade to full premo when it could have been a single trade at peak price. I know it's hard to know exactly when to cash them out (or whether to cash out at all) but sometimes when your mid pricers are scoring like premo's early on it can encourage coaches to sideways their SPs who start a bit slowly because they figure all of these mid-pricers are keepers now and won't require as many upgrades to complete team only for the inevitable drop off in scoring from most of the Rd1 mid-pricers. But by that stage you're short on trades to move on 1-2 of the mid-pricers and end up stuck with them at F6/M8/F6 and sometimes even R2. MPM is a viable starting point but in order to succeed with it you can't get too attached to them and need to upgrade them to full premo when the opportunity presents.
Correct - I kept Butts and Daniher too long

The trouble with the bolded guys is many people held onto them for too long, to the point they required 2 trades to upgrade to full premo when it could have been a single trade at peak price. I know it's hard to know exactly when to cash them out (or whether to cash out at all) but sometimes when your mid pricers are scoring like premo's early on it can encourage coaches to sideways their SPs who start a bit slowly because they figure all of these mid-pricers are keepers now and won't require as many upgrades to complete team only for the inevitable drop off in scoring from most of the Rd1 mid-pricers. But by that stage you're short on trades to move on 1-2 of the mid-pricers and end up stuck with them at D6/M8/F6 and sometimes even R2. MPM is a viable starting point but in order to succeed with it you can't get too attached to them and need to upgrade them to full premo when the opportunity presents.
yeah spot on. the bar to consider them a keeper ought to be high else like impey or daniher did for me yeah they can drop off. should be careful when reclassifying midpricers as keepers with how you look at your team. i definitely think you should avoid putting yourself in a position where you're stuck with them even if they fall off a cliff, should be keeping a trade for when they probably drop off unless you're super confident they wont.

the way i play 2 concerning games or scores in a row and im wanting to move on this player but yeah definitely if you held on way too long its not good. but of course if you picked these guys and moved them on at a reasonably optimal time (they've lost a bit but still made you plenty overall) then they are great selections.

tldr: dont get too attached to midpricers, be prepared to move them on if/when they drop off.

Last edited:
yeah spot on. the bar to consider them a keeper ought to be high else like impey or daniher did for me yeah they can drop off. should be careful when reclassifying midpricers as keepers with how you look at your team. i definitely think you should avoid putting yourself in a position where you're stuck with them even if they fall off a cliff, should be keeping a trade for when they probably drop off unless you're super confident they wont.

the way i play 2 concerning games or scores in a row and im wanting to move on this player but yeah definitely if you held on way too long its not good. but of course if you picked these guys and moved them on at a reasonably optimal time (they've lost a bit but still made you plenty overall) then they are great selections.

tldr: dont get too attached to midpricers, be prepared to move them on if/when they drop off.
Sometimes there so much carnage to deal with that you just get stuck with them for much longer than ever anticipated. Good news is I have trades so Daniher can finally piss off this week.

1. Do not pick GWS players
2. Do not pick players who wear orange, white and charcoal
3. Do not pick players coached by Leon Cameron
4. Do not pick players whos captain is Toby Greene/Stephen Coniglio
5. Do not pick players who play home games in Sydney, unless they wear red and white
6. Do not start Flynn at R2
7. Do not pick any GWS ruck unless it is Mummy
8. Do not pick Mummy
9. Do not pick players from the west of the town (of Sydney)
10. Do not pick Shai Bolton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Due to regular late outs, to do any good in this stupid game you must always make sure your life never gets in the way.

12. Never go and have a few beers within a hour or two of any game starting.
13. If her indoors starts getting amorous within an hour or two of any game starting, just ignore her.
14. Never invite anyone (including family) around on any day of the weekend ever again. If your do, push them out the door within an hour of any game starting.
15. If you have a hot date with a sure thing that looks like Miranda Kerr and bangs like the dunny door within an hour or two of any game starting, cancel it.
16. If any neighbour leans over the fence for a chat within an hour or two of any game starting, ignore him.

applies specifically to this year:

thou shalt not have more than 2 660k plus players, at that steep price they are in your team as captain/VC options (and there are some other blokes anyway eg. gawndy neale dunkley who could be options as well). most overpriced players in supercoach easily (in a general sense).

applies specifically to this year:

thou shalt not have more than 2 660k plus players, at that steep price they are in your team as captain/VC options (and there are some other blokes anyway eg. gawndy neale dunkley who could be options as well). most overpriced players in supercoach easily (in a general sense).
ah s**t, ive been tearing my hair out all day about this one, really wanting to start steele as well with my macrae touk neale premo mids. not sure if i will though as it means i'd probably have to cut rowell and get hewett who i aint keen on.

i've changed my mind about this, i think its okay. but the jist is to be careful about it and not feel like you have to have all the big boys because the last thing i said still stands, they are definitely the most overpriced players. last year i went crazy with picking all the expensive guys cos i felt like i had to start them. it definitely wasnt optimal to say the least, i really regretted lloyd and neale in particular.

i'd say most of what i said a year or few ago still holds so scroll back a few pages for some good supercoach philosophy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back