Your thoughts about a possible North Melbourne relocation

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the 17th team on the GC need another thread, or do we continue with this one?

Demetriou says we have nothing to fear. The logical basis for this conclusion seems to be that Freo didn't hurt WC and Port didn't hurt Adelaide, so everything will be sweet.

Does the 17th team on the GC need another thread, or do we continue with this one?

Demetriou says we have nothing to fear. The logical basis for this conclusion seems to be that Freo didn't hurt WC and Port didn't hurt Adelaide, so everything will be sweet.

You always knew any recognition the AFL was going to give to the issue was mere lip service.

Typical AFL attitude, they believe they are always right and arrogantly dismiss any opinions to the contrary.

I have lost count of how many times i've been to Southport club....and yet I have never really taken any notice of just how much land they have around them........do they have enough to develop a decent stadium there? ... I keep forgetting to ask my son when talking to him on the phone....

There is no way a 2nd AFL team in Queensland will survive without very extensive financial support from the AFL, and especially one starting from a zero base as now appears to be the plan. For an example of the AFL's planning skills, see its totally hopeless Skase-based Bears years in the wilderness. Anyone with one ounce of football nouse could have seen what a waste Carrara would be and was. Why would a second club on the Coast fare any better than the first. Clearly Demetriou sees this whole extravaganza as his legacy- and it may well be.

A few inconvenient truths- anyone who has been to Carrara recently will know it is miles from being a fully-enabled AFL stadium, and if anyone for a moment thinks the State Government will pump millions more taxpayer dollars into a second high-quality AFL stadium, when the Gabba sits idle 80k's away, is kidding themselves. Remember, it has taken decades for the Lions to become viable and entrenched in excellent facilities.

Dream on!!!

I don't agree. Equating the Gold Coast of today with the Gold Coast of the mid 80's is naive. Carrara is as good as it needs to be NOW, and would need, and would get an upgrade for a new side if chosen as the stadium. I suspect that the stadium will not be carrara however. The Gabba will not be used, it simply cant be, if they truly want a Gold Coast team.

There is plenty of corporate potential on the Coast, and if that affects the Lions I would be surprised. If anything, the local rivalry will encourage even more support. I am surprised at the negativity surrounding this issue, I am personally excited by it.

I don't agree. Equating the Gold Coast of today with the Gold Coast of the mid 80's is naive. Carrara is as good as it needs to be NOW, and would need, and would get an upgrade for a new side if chosen as the stadium. I suspect that the stadium will not be carrara however. The Gabba will not be used, it simply cant be, if they truly want a Gold Coast team.

There is plenty of corporate potential on the Coast, and if that affects the Lions I would be surprised. If anything, the local rivalry will encourage even more support. I am surprised at the negativity surrounding this issue, I am personally excited by it.

You wouldn't defect would you Helix? :eek:

No, but i would go to many more games, and if not playing the Lions, I would support the Gold Coast Whatevers.
Thats exactly how I feel........I can only see positives out of the whole idea.......the rivalry that would build up between them and us would be enormous....in turn would lead to more supporters for both clubs IMO.....certainly would create a lot of interest and publicity (if handled right) up there...

the rivalry that would build up between them and us would be enormous
Can't see it myself.

Qlders get behind each other. I would imagine the Gold Coast would be most Lions supporters 2nd favourite team and vice versa.

Unless that team happened to be Southport. And then most people with a knowledge of the local state league would wish them hell.

And I don't buy into the theory that more members would sign on if we had another rival.

Qlders get behind each other. I would imagine the Gold Coast would be most Lions supporters 2nd favourite team and vice versa.

Not mine, I really struggle to see myself giving two shits about them.

It would probably start out that way for a quite a few but the AFL and the media would do all it could to build the rivalry, and with passionate supporters involved I don't think that would be hard to do. Pretty soon there would be a lot of crap being thrown at each other, and when you've got a group of supporters continuously bagging your team that would be a big incentive to stop thinking of them as your 2nd favourite.

Not mine, I really struggle to see myself giving two shits about them.

Yep agree with that, Good Luck to them but I hope we crush them everytime we play them so they know who the number 1 Queensland side is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be nice to play someone other than Sydney in Rivalry round.

Would be nice to smash Collingwood in Rivalry round, but they seem to have one or two clubs in front of us that they prefer to play:D

"Carrara is as good as it needs to be now"????? Either you haven't been there or are not familiar with the demands of modern-day AFL followers. And if not Carrara, where?? In either case many millions would be required before an alternative stadium might be established. Where might this dough come from?? There's no way the Queensland government with it's strong ARL bent would come to the party.

And that's before the costs or relocating (clearly still the AFL's preferred option) or setting up a new team from scratch. OK, accepted the Gold Coast today is a long way from the Skase era, but it's well worth remembering that even now the Lions still have membership issues although they have access to sponsorship from the booming Brisbane economy. We (AFL followers) have a toehold in a predominately ARL state which even so supports only 3 clubs.

Make no mistake, as a former Tasmanian who used to go out to Chelmer on a Sunday afternoon to get my Aussie rules fix, I want the game to succeed here- we all know it's the best game in the world. However I fear getting ahead of ourselves would do more damage than good.

If the AFL wants to spend millions in setting up a new team, spend it in Tassie which doesn't need converting, has 2X20000 plus stadiums, and is less than1hr from mecca.

"Carrara is as good as it needs to be now"????? Either you haven't been there or are not familiar with the demands of modern-day AFL followers. And if not Carrara, where?? In either case many millions would be required before an alternative stadium might be established. Where might this dough come from?? There's no way the Queensland government with it's strong ARL bent would come to the party.

And that's before the costs or relocating (clearly still the AFL's preferred option) or setting up a new team from scratch. OK, accepted the Gold Coast today is a long way from the Skase era, but it's well worth remembering that even now the Lions still have membership issues although they have access to sponsorship from the booming Brisbane economy. We (AFL followers) have a toehold in a predominately ARL state which even so supports only 3 clubs.

Make no mistake, as a former Tasmanian who used to go out to Chelmer on a Sunday afternoon to get my Aussie rules fix, I want the game to succeed here- we all know it's the best game in the world. However I fear getting ahead of ourselves would do more damage than good.

If the AFL wants to spend millions in setting up a new team, spend it in Tassie which doesn't need converting, has 2X20000 plus stadiums, and is less than1hr from mecca.

Ok, you misunderstood. Carrara is as good as the current requirements for it need it to be. It has a great surface, and adequate seating for the rubbish games that get scheduled there. I have been there plenty. It is fine.

" And if not Carrara, where??

Coomera Stadium will be built behind Dreamworld. Current home of the Coomera Magpies Juniors. Guess who owns the land.

Close to the M1, train access as well.

You heard it here;)

Ok, you misunderstood. Carrara is as good as the current requirements for it need it to be. It has a great surface, and adequate seating for the rubbish games that get scheduled there. I have been there plenty. It is fine.

I agree that Carrara is fine for its present usage level, and that the surface is excellent- certainly the best I've ever walked on. But it has next to no parking, and spectator facilities are very poor. Basically the design would have to start from a clean sheet.

As for government support, it is my impression (admittedly based only on TV utterances) that Anna Bligh has been quite non-commital about the stadium issue- certainly she hasn't offered anything like wholehearted support. I am not saying that the government is anti-AFL, only that they will naturally see more votes in what they perceive as the more popular code.

Have you read the letters to the Sports Editor of the CM? IMO that seems to be about where many Queenslanders, steeped in many years of RL dominance see this whole Coast AFL team thing- ie, a Victorian problem, not Queensland's. Hence the government's bent (Oxford Dictionary- "bent- inclination, bias, tendency") toward ARL.

I agree that Carrara is fine for its present usage level, and that the surface is excellent- certainly the best I've ever walked on. But it has next to no parking, and spectator facilities are very poor. Basically the design would have to start from a clean sheet.

As for government support, it is my impression (admittedly based only on TV utterances) that Anna Bligh has been quite non-commital about the stadium issue- certainly she hasn't offered anything like wholehearted support. I am not saying that the government is anti-AFL, only that they will naturally see more votes in what they perceive as the more popular code.

Have you read the letters to the Sports Editor of the CM? IMO that seems to be about where many Queenslanders, steeped in many years of RL dominance see this whole Coast AFL team thing- ie, a Victorian problem, not Queensland's. Hence the government's bent (Oxford Dictionary- "bent- inclination, bias, tendency") toward ARL.

I get the same impression about the Qld Government's stance on the stadium issue. Anna Bligh and Sports Minister Judy Spence have steered very clear of commenting on the matter.

Surely Demetriou would have some kind of arrangement sorted, but why were the Kangas highlighting the lack of a stadium deal? I'd love to hear the teleconference calls between the Qld govt and the AFL, because as far as I understand, the AFL can't do it without them.

I know a few people who work at the Major Sports Facilities Authority (which will be known as "Stadiums Qld" in 2008) and they have been monitoring the situation very closely. Their two big projects at the moment are the new tennis centre at Tennyson and the just completed Skilled Park at Robina. The Titans new home ground is said to be the best boutique stadium in the country.

The NRL / Qld govt partnership in creating this has always been very positive, but I think that is also because of the good planning that has been associated with the Titans. To say that the Qld govt is anti-AFL or pro-NRL is a stretch. But I do think that the relationship is currently much better with the NRL because of this issue.

No govt likes to be told what to do. This particular govt isn't too fond of Gold Coast Mayor Ron Clarke either, who seems to be the major campaigner north of the border. I don't think we've heard the last about this. Could Cap'n Bligh be the one to stop Demetriou's Gold Coast legacy?

Personally I hope so. Go-anna!

No and no.

I can't say who it is, but I can say who it isn't.

Just do a title search for us and post the results Belg.

I used to do it all the time when I worked in property valuation. ;)

Privacy act be damned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back