Your Thoughts on Piracy

Remove this Banner Ad

I am just wondering what your thought on it.

Well for Video's I think it's okay as normally the shows on Free-to-Air TV so what is the Difference? Also you can watch the Video when you want and not when the Networks say you can.

Games and Software is Wrong but at the same times they can be Very Expensive like Photoshop is about $500 and not everyone has that kind of Spare Cash. I say if you are making money from it you should pay the Developer but if for own use it's Okay.

Your Thoughts?

Piracy probably is wrong, this coming from a bloke with a 12+TB server...

<rant>
But it just shits me when media companies etc report a loss of revenue in the millions. Fact is, I probably wouldn't have bought the product anyway and only have it cos I got it for free...

I've started buying games again tho, but mostly from CD key sites where I can get a PC game for $25 rather than $80-100. Why should I have to pay twice that of an American? Or 4 times what a Russian/Eastern European does?

All piracy does is give people what they want. Could you imagine buying downloadable videos off itunes 10 years ago? Where you reckon Mr Jobs got his idea from? Right down to the codecs they use... The number of bands I've heard that I would never have heard of had it not been for piracy is countless. I go and see those bands/artists in concerts now.

Had it not been for piracy TV networks here in Aus would still be delaying shows for 6 - 12 months at a time. Remember how big of a deal it was when channel 10 started showing shows "straight off the satellite"? Piracy has personally changed my lifestyle completely when it comes to media. I honestly haven't watched FTA TV for 5+ years. When I see ads for "my kitchen rules" and "Australia's got talent" I realise how s**t its gotten. Apart from footy and the premier league I download everything I watch. Also why should I have to watch shows in SD when I could just download them in HD? Example: Entourage is only shown on Arena (foxtel channel) which is SD, yet from season 2 onwards I was downloading it all in HD.

On another note I have a few architect mates who used megaupload and filesonic to share work to clients, all that is gone now and has to be uploaded again to other share sites. From what I've heard a lot of these sites have moved their servers out of the US and blocking US customers from using their services completely. This gets them out of the jurisdiction of the US authorities apparently.

</rant>

I'd watch every TV show and movie through legitimate means if i could watch it the same day it airs in the states, at a time of my choosing and have the ability to stop, pause rewind etc. Or at least have it shown at a regular time every week.

I wouldn't have gone to many gigs, or bought many cd's if i hadn't been able to hear a band for free first.

The studios sooking that it costs them billions of dollars are banking on the fact that every download would be a purchase. no chance.

Piracy is wrong but it will continue in large amounts until the record companies and studios improve their delivery systems.

I'd watch every TV show and movie through legitimate means if i could watch it the same day it airs in the states, at a time of my choosing and have the ability to stop, pause rewind etc. Or at least have it shown at a regular time every week.

I wouldn't have gone to many gigs, or bought many cd's if i hadn't been able to hear a band for free first.

The studios sooking that it costs them billions of dollars are banking on the fact that every download would be a purchase. no chance.

Piracy is wrong but it will continue in large amounts until the record companies and studios improve their delivery systems.

This is how I should have written my post lol. It says all I wanted to say without the ranting and tangents. :D:thumbsu:

^^

In have quite a Bit Too Mate;)

I agree about 99% I have I would not of Brought so Technically companies loss no Money.

Also didn't they say Latest Call of Duty made 1 Billion Dollars in 2 weeks and they still winge.

Also with the Virtual Consoles where you can download and Play old game - Where did you think where they got that Idea?

Does suck for people who don't use the Filesharing Sites and who use it for School or Business lose all there Stuff

good thread dave.

i am someone who only since the arrival of vista/windows 7 have paid for software. i worked in IT for years and were surrounded by plenty of people who had, or knew who had, copies of this, versions of that, i could download or get on disk to load up onto the pc and merrily create away.

the main driver for never paying was the price of this software. insanely expensive. too much to pay for what was just casual use. nothing more than job applications or other personal items created. i always thought they should have released some form of casual use for individuals, where use was timed and was disabled after so many hundred hours, all at a nominal fee. only beyond that were full fees required.

as far as music/videos etc, well those industries seem to have tidied up there act and provided options like itunes to enable selective buying, rather than the traditional 'you want 3 songs, you buy the whole album/cd', that led to widespread copying previously.

Don't think it will stop it Completely but will stop most people doing it.

What about how Companies Distribute Games and Software?

Don't think it will stop it Completely but will stop most people doing it.

What about how Companies Distribute Games and Software?

Well that's basically been covered by steam and origin.

My only issue tho is that we're paying twice what American's pay. I usually just buy the CD keys from a CD key site or get a mate in the US to gift a game to me after I netbank him the money. :D:thumbsu:

good thread dave.

i am someone who only since the arrival of vista/windows 7 have paid for software. i worked in IT for years and were surrounded by plenty of people who had, or knew who had, copies of this, versions of that, i could download or get on disk to load up onto the pc and merrily create away.

the main driver for never paying was the price of this software. insanely expensive. too much to pay for what was just casual use. nothing more than job applications or other personal items created. i always thought they should have released some form of casual use for individuals, where use was timed and was disabled after so many hundred hours, all at a nominal fee. only beyond that were full fees required.

When I buy computer I buy the Operation System and Extra software that comes with it

as far as music/videos etc, well those industries seem to have tidied up there act and provided options like itunes to enable selective buying, rather than the traditional 'you want 3 songs, you buy the whole album/cd', that led to widespread copying previously.

They are getting better but still a bit to go as if you download from iTunes you can't listen to it on anything else:mad:

Well that's basically been covered by steam and origin.

My only issue tho is that we're paying twice what American's pay. I usually just buy the CD keys from a CD key site or get a mate in the US to gift a game to me after I netbank him the money. :D:thumbsu:

Yeah the Price we pay to overseas is Disgusting?

With Steam or Origin can you play it on different computers or just the 1?

Does anyone remember how we used to be charged $30 for VHS tape of a movie, and then when DVD’s came out they said it was going to be great because DVD’s production costs were a mere fraction of VHS? Well instead the price of new DVD’s soared to $40 when at the same time they were going for about $10 in the US or Europe… Australian consumers have for decades been slugged more than we should be, simply because we're chumps who are willing to pay that much.

As a result of these extortionate prices people saw the benefit in downloaded their own movies for free, and as soon as it became popular and more common the price of DVD’s suddenly dropped from $40 to $15… The reason why is because the movie companies knew if they kept to the extortionate prices that eventually everyone would be downloading. Hence piracy has drastically forced the prices to drop to what people are willing to pay for a product instead of downloading. Yet still despite this we are even still charged so much more for movies and music songs here in Australia that price gouging of Australian consumers by foreign IT companies is now the subject of a federal investigation.

I must admit that if we all become like the Chinese and nobody ever pays for a legitimate product then companies won’t be able to provide the movies/music that they do, but as long as they charge appropriate market rates there will always be a demand for their goods. If they somehow do get rid of piracy there is no doubt whatsoever that we will immediately be paying $50 for the same DVD we could have bought 6 months ago for $15, so I'm really hoping they aren't able to achieve this. During the meantime though it has no doubt saved the Australian economy billions of dollars that our citizens are then able to spend on other goods and providing further stimulus, only to the detriment of rappers like 50cent who won’t be able to afford that 5th Ferrari he was really looking forward to…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the Price we pay to overseas is Disgusting?

With Steam or Origin can you play it on different computers or just the 1?

If you login to steam on a different PC steam emails you a special code. You copy that special code into steam after you login and it adds that PC to the "Allowed to use" list thingy. I'm pretty sure its the same for origin.

At least Harvey Norman are up with the times:
http://www.harveynormandirectimport.com/

Does anyone remember how we used to be charged $30 for VHS tape of a movie, and then when DVD’s came out they said it was going to be great because DVD’s production costs were a mere fraction of VHS? Well instead the price of new DVD’s soared to $40 when at the same time they were going for about $10 in the US or Europe… Australian consumers have for decades been slugged more than we should be, simply because we're chumps who are willing to pay that much.

As a result of these extortionate prices people saw the benefit in downloaded their own movies for free, and as soon as it became popular and more common the price of DVD’s suddenly dropped from $40 to $15… The reason why is because the movie companies knew if they kept to the extortionate prices that eventually everyone would be downloading. Hence piracy has drastically forced the prices to drop to what people are willing to pay for a product instead of downloading. Yet still despite this we are even still charged so much more for movies and music songs here in Australia that price gouging of Australian consumers by foreign IT companies is now the subject of a federal investigation.

I must admit that if we all become like the Chinese and nobody ever pays for a legitimate product then companies won’t be able to provide the movies/music that they do, but as long as they charge appropriate market rates there will always be a demand for their goods. If they somehow do get rid of piracy there is no doubt whatsoever that we will immediately be paying $50 for the same DVD we could have bought 6 months ago for $15, so I'm really hoping they aren't able to achieve this. During the meantime though it has no doubt saved the Australian economy billions of dollars that our citizens are then able to spend on other goods and providing further stimulus, only to the detriment of rappers like 50cent who won’t be able to afford that 5th Ferrari he was really looking forward to…

Made me think of this:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103759/not-a-big-deal

NOT A BIG DEAL?! :p

Also, went to watch a full episode online... This is what I got:
au.jpg

Oh well, gonna have to look for the ep in an illegal manner... My bad! :rolleyes:

Everything is overpriced in Australia. Games, DVD's, software etc.

If I can get something for free, then by all means I'll go and download it. I'm not going to be one of those people to come in here and flame everyone for downloading pirated entertainment when in truth, we have all done it at one time or another. We have all probably played a pirated DVD at home, whether borrowed from a friend or bought from overseas.

Like someone said above, if we got TV shows, movies, music etc released at the same time as the US, then I'd consider digging into my wallet and purchasing it. Til then, I'll keep downloading because I can.

When I buy computer I buy the Operation System and Extra software that comes with it

When I bought my new laptop, the price was very appealing. I didn't realize that when speaking to the salesman, I would have to be digging further into my pocket for Windows 7, Office, Virus protection etc. Would have set me back another 600 but knowing I could get it for free, gave it a miss.

I have a friend in the music industry (she has twice been nominated for an ARIA)
she is lucky as she is a country artist, and country has the highest purchase rates of any genre
however, I hate piracy. I understand why people download, but all it does is force the costs of live events up

most people don't realise that record deals need to be paid back, labels only invest in an artist. the musician cannot pay it back and afford to live (artists make 2-5% per sale) and as such put up the price of tickets

musicians with higher sales generally have a lower cost performing live.

piracy might be promoted as stealing, but all anyone does is force the price up

If you login to steam on a different PC steam emails you a special code. You copy that special code into steam after you login and it adds that PC to the "Allowed to use" list thingy. I'm pretty sure its the same for origin.

At least Harvey Norman are up with the times:
http://www.harveynormandirectimport.com/

That is still Stupid. Why would I have to Register on another computer to play it when I should just install and Play

I have a friend in the music industry (she has twice been nominated for an ARIA)
she is lucky as she is a country artist, and country has the highest purchase rates of any genre
however, I hate piracy. I understand why people download, but all it does is force the costs of live events up

most people don't realise that record deals need to be paid back, labels only invest in an artist. the musician cannot pay it back and afford to live (artists make 2-5% per sale) and as such put up the price of tickets

I can see where you are coming from but the Producers where ripping us off 1st and that Forces people to get it for Free.

If the Musicians to it themselves and that means they can do it a lot cheaper then people would more likely buy there stuff

Personally there is no way I'm spending upwards of $20 for an album with somewhere between 10-15 tracks on it which I have no idea if I'll actually enjoy. I wouldn't even be able to afford it. I see a lot of live gigs every single year, and if it wasn't for piracy I wouldn't have discovered any of these bands who's live acts I'll go see, and occasionally buy the merch from.

I don't mind shelling out $50-80 for a live act of a single band, which is about the most I think I've ever paid for a domestic or an international act.

Yep us Aussies been Ripped Off so Much it's Not Funny.

I remember a Movie I went to see a few years ago, I could already buy on DVD on the Net from the US.

If they charge the Right Price then Piracy would go down but I doubt they would stop completely

What about something like Mame or Final Burn Alpha that Emulates Arcade Games.

That would be expensive hobby to Collect Arcade Machine/Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back