Your Thoughts on Piracy

Remove this Banner Ad

Just quickly on this, a lot of people get dodgey software when they're using it themselves at home, but IMO if you're using it to make money then you should have legit copies.

For example with Photoshop, if you're a home user and simply just stuff around on it I wouldn't expect many people to pay $500 or whatever for it. If you're a professional artist/designer and you're selling artwork or designs or working full time using the software, you should have paid for it.

Just quickly on this, a lot of people get dodgey software when they're using it themselves at home, but IMO if you're using it to make money then you should have legit copies.

For example with Photoshop, if you're a home user and simply just stuff around on it I wouldn't expect many people to pay $500 or whatever for it. If you're a professional artist/designer and you're selling artwork or designs or working full time using the software, you should have paid for it.

Yes there is Chances you can get Virus or a Dodgy Version from Downloading or Buying it a Computer Market.

I agree with the rest, if it's for Home use then no is going to pay a Fortune but if you are using it for Work and making money from it, Then you should buy a Legit Version of it

That is still Stupid. Why would I have to Register on another computer to play it when I should just install and Play

What do you mean? It takes no more than 5 seconds and is a simple security check, if ppl hack your steam account they would have to hack your email as well to get access to everything. I'm sure they implemented that bcos ppl were complaining that their accounts were being stolen... Once you've done the security check and from that point onwards this newly "trusted" PC is able to access all your games you just need to login, its a one time only thing.

What do you mean? It takes no more than 5 seconds and is a simple security check, if ppl hack your steam account they would have to hack your email as well to get access to everything. I'm sure they implemented that bcos ppl were complaining that their accounts were being stolen... Once you've done the security check and from that point onwards this newly "trusted" PC is able to access all your games you just need to login, its a one time only thing.

What happens if you don't have the Net on the Computer?

I appreciate the ability to download software, movies and music, in fact any media, mostly because it allows me to assess the actual "value" of the individual program, song or movie without being forced to "pay" actual money for the "privilege" of discovering that the media in question is absolute garbage.

I find that only roughly 5% of all movies, music and software has any monetary value whatsoever and only about 1% of that is worth the value the seller has put on it.

Anti-Piracy advocates think it is quite reasonable that the purchaser pays for the content on the off chance it is worth paying for.

Can you get a refund on a crap movie you purchase?

No.

Can you be compensated for the portion of your life wasted watching said movie?

No.

Sites like Grooveshark, Bandcamp, Soundcloud and YouTube, which allow free streaming of music, have exposed me to more bands than I could have ever imagined. As a result of this, I buy more CDs than I ever have before.

Just a few years ago I had a tiny CD collection, because I'm not going to spend $15-$20 on a CD on the off chance that I might like it, now my CD collection has increased by hundreds, because I am able to listen to it before I buy it.

This idea that piracy damages the music industry I think is a bit bullshit. Yeah, it does hurt a bit, but I know a lot of people that have bought more CDs, just like me, because of being able to listen to an album first.

If you want people to buy albums, then the simple solution is to make better albums at a more affordable price. The artist should also make more than 2-5% of the total sale. If there was no artist then the label wouldn't be making any money, so pay them what they deserve. There are also other things that could make people want to buy the CD, such as posters that could be included with the CD, or bonus tracks and videos. The music industry needs to get with the times and adapt to what the customer wants, not what they want.

Stop sooking about it and give people a product worth buying!

Sites like Grooveshark, Bandcamp, Soundcloud and YouTube, which allow free streaming of music, have exposed me to more bands than I could have ever imagined. As a result of this, I buy more CDs than I ever have before.

Just a few years ago I had a tiny CD collection, because I'm not going to spend $15-$20 on a CD on the off chance that I might like it, now my CD collection has increased by hundreds, because I am able to listen to it before I buy it.

This idea that piracy damages the music industry I think is a bit bullshit. Yeah, it does hurt a bit, but I know a lot of people that have bought more CDs, just like me, because of being able to listen to an album first.

If you want people to buy albums, then the simple solution is to make better albums at a more affordable price. The artist should also make more than 2-5% of the total sale. If there was no artist then the label wouldn't be making any money, so pay them what they deserve. There are also other things that could make people want to buy the CD, such as posters that could be included with the CD, or bonus tracks and videos. The music industry needs to get with the times and adapt to what the customer wants, not what they want.

Stop sooking about it and give people a product worth buying!

Spot On and make it Descent Price.

Well under a new US law - Sites Like Youtube will be Kicked off the internet:eek:

I appreciate the ability to download software, movies and music, in fact any media, mostly because it allows me to assess the actual "value" of the individual program, song or movie without being forced to "pay" actual money for the "privilege" of discovering that the media in question is absolute garbage.

I find that only roughly 5% of all movies, music and software has any monetary value whatsoever and only about 1% of that is worth the value the seller has put on it.

Anti-Piracy advocates think it is quite reasonable that the purchaser pays for the content on the off chance it is worth paying for.

Can you get a refund on a crap movie you purchase?

No.

Can you be compensated for the portion of your life wasted watching said movie?

No.

Very Well Said.

Agree who is taking a Chance on Buying Movie,Game,Software or Music on the Chance it can be a Piece of Crap.

and We should to watch Video's on anything we want and not what we buy it on

I'm not sure if it's still the same but maybe 10 years ago artists got roughly 50cents per album sold. The ones who made more money were the independant artists that produced their own music. A lot of artisits make their money through events and merchandise, so if you really want to support the music you listen to, go see them live or buy something of theirs other than their music!

I'm not sure if it's still the same but maybe 10 years ago artists got roughly 50cents per album sold. The ones who made more money were the independant artists that produced their own music. A lot of artisits make their money through events and merchandise, so if you really want to support the music you listen to, go see them live or buy something of theirs other than their music!

Well with iTunes where you can put your own stuff up. Then artists can put there own Music up and get 100% of the Sales.

Why would buying there music mean less money for the Artists?

Well with iTunes where you can put your own stuff up. Then artists can put there own Music up and get 100% of the Sales.

Why would buying there music mean less money for the Artists?
I don't know how iTunes is set up, but I bet the artists get nowhere near 100% of the profits, most of it would go to the record companies (because they actually own the rights to the music). Unless of course the artists are independant. CD sales, the artist basically gets nothing.

I don't know how iTunes is set up, but I bet the artists get nowhere near 100% of the profits, most of it would go to the record companies (because they actually own the rights to the music). Unless of course the artists are independant. CD sales, the artist basically gets nothing.

That's what I meant, If they did it themselves with out the Record Compaines they would get all the Money.

If a Big Star did that I reckon they would sell tones of Music

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing how ISP are attempting to block torrent sites

I use RARBG and as soon as 1 of the mirror sites is blocked there are 45 others all available to use unhindered
6 weeks go by and that site gets blocked....just use one of the others

You would think the ISP's would eventually give up

Not sure how these laws are preventing piracy, all they have done is increase the use of VPN's
A primary school kid with limited knowledge can circumvent them

Not sure how these laws are preventing piracy, all they have done is increase the use of VPN's
A primary school kid with limited knowledge can circumvent them

That's why I say don't tell them that People can still pirate even with these Usless Laws. ;)

Agree the VPNS are the Big Winners as lot more people be finding our about them after Sites been Blocked and Plus there are Ads on TV saying why Security Reasons why you need one.

I have a friend in the music industry (she has twice been nominated for an ARIA)
she is lucky as she is a country artist, and country has the highest purchase rates of any genre
however, I hate piracy. I understand why people download, but all it does is force the costs of live events up

most people don't realise that record deals need to be paid back, labels only invest in an artist. the musician cannot pay it back and afford to live (artists make 2-5% per sale) and as such put up the price of tickets

musicians with higher sales generally have a lower cost performing live.

piracy might be promoted as stealing, but all anyone does is force the price up
Yes!
The $500 dollars for an average seat at the last Eagles tour shows just how much lower big LP selling recording artists can go.
I went to see ELO at Wembley Stadium in 2017. Only cost me $1000 for two rickets.
and ELO have only sold 50 million albums.
How blessed are we with those low, low concert tickets.

FE1A89A3-2703-47B4-8CB5-9FF7E83283FD.jpeg

Yes!
The $500 dollars for an average seat at the last Eagles tour shows just how much lower big LP selling recording artists can go.
I went to see ELO at Wembley Stadium in 2017. Only cost me $1000 for two rickets.
and ELO have only sold 50 million albums.
How blessed are we with those low, low concert tickets.

View attachment 778609
Well the clear issue there is your example is predicated on two absolutely behemoth bands in the context of music history of the last century.

It’d be like comparing Brodie Grundy’s earnings and extrapolating out to say Toby Thoolen’s circunstances. You can’t use the 0.01% as the justification for the average.

Expecting a 2 week self Isolation at some stage.
So hitting up the Piratebay big time.

People still use Piratebay?

Have to get around the Block the Goverment has on it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back