Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Feb 26, 2003
Ballarat
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Renegades, victory, packers
Nursing work bans and bed closures in hospitals should be stopped.

There are plenty of ppl who need help in hospital and they aren't getting any from the nurses who are refusing to work with their patients.

I think that it is disgraceful that the nurses aren't doing their job and moving on from the situation.

I think that it is totally immature and wrong of the nurses to go on strike.

1. The 4/20 nurse patient ratio is quite fair and reasonable. No argument with that.

2. 30% pay rise over three years is absurd. 10% would be quite reasonable, seeing as inflation is only at 2% at the moment, and won't go too high in the forseeable future.

Originally posted by goaldrush
Nursing work bans and bed closures in hospitals should be stopped.

There are plenty of ppl who need help in hospital and they aren't getting any from the nurses who are refusing to work with their patients.

I think that it is disgraceful that the nurses aren't doing their job and moving on from the situation.

I think that it is totally immature and wrong of the nurses to go on strike.
Suzi.
I dont normally say this about,but on this ocassion,
YOU KNOW ABSOLUTLY KNOTHING ABOUT WHAT YOUR BLOODY TALKING ABOUT.

To criticise the nurses shows considerable ignorance and a lack of understanding of the situation.
The criticism should be aimed at the politicians, that group of people who are only in politics looking at the next election.
The State and Federal governments are combining to ruin the medical system (including hospitals) here in WA.

Originally posted by Tim56
1. The 4/20 nurse patient ratio is quite fair and reasonable. No argument with that.

2. 30% pay rise over three years is absurd. 10% would be quite reasonable, seeing as inflation is only at 2% at the moment, and won't go too high in the forseeable future.

:rolleyes: Predictable in the extreme

• Banned
Re: Re: Your thoughts on the Nursing crisis

Originally posted by Bombers 2003
Suzi.
I dont normally say this about,but on this ocassion,
YOU KNOW ABSOLUTLY KNOTHING ABOUT WHAT YOUR BLOODY TALKING ABOUT.
Niether do you but at least we can comment on it.

I think that the nurses are asking for too much too soon and are being totally irresponsible, arrogant and selfish.

The nurses need to get back to work because there are more important ppl around who are sick or who are injured and need help. Without the nurses being there to provide the TLC that is needed, ppl who are seriously ill or injured will die and the hospital will be to blame.

Originally posted by afc9798
:rolleyes: Predictable in the extreme

My statement is predictable: It is based on common sense, economic logic, and consistent with similar government wage agreements.

Whilst I do find your obsession with me flattering, perhaps you might find some rational arguments to debate me with?

Re: Re: Re: Your thoughts on the Nursing crisis

I think that the nurses are asking for too much too soon and are being totally irresponsible, arrogant and selfish.

The nurses need to get back to work because there are more important ppl around who are sick or who are injured and need help. Without the nurses being there to provide the TLC that is needed, ppl who are seriously ill or injured will die and the hospital will be to blame.
Suzi,once again u show your self to be a ditz.
I have 2 cousins who are Nurses,1 cousin is a GP and a uncle who is a well respected Radiologist.

The nursing bans are only affecting elective surgery, not life-threatening cases.

The 4:1 ratio seems quite reasonable, although I think they also need to take a closer look at Trendcare and consider some of the merits. After all, hospital care has been changing and patient days are dropping due to less invasive procedures.

A pay rise of 30% over 3 years seems a bit steep.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Your thoughts on the Nursing crisis

Originally posted by Bombers 2003
Suzi,once again u show your self to be a ditz.
I have 2 cousins who are Nurses,1 cousin is a GP and a uncle who is a well respected Radiologist.
I have one cousin who is a nurse, who agrees with me on this.

Originally posted by Tim56

And it seems the government agrees with me...

Bracks caves in on nurse ratios
By Paul Robinson
Workplace Editor
May 4, 2004

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
The Bracks Government has backed away from abolishing nurse-patient ratios in Victorian hospitals - clearing the way for an end to the nurses dispute that has shackled the hospital system for a fortnight.

Under a pay deal finalised yesterday, the Government has managed to defend its broad public sector wages strategy, limiting rises for most of the state's 26,000 nurses to below 4 per cent a year.

The confidential deal is similar to agreements struck last week with teachers and last month with public servants.

The nurses' deal includes an extra two weeks of maternity leave, bringing the total to eight. It provides new payments for charge nurses and an agreed process for training division two nurses to administer medicine.

While the Government agreed to drop its push for abolition of nurse-patient ratios - the key sticking point in negotiations - the package is believed to allow limited opportunity to change existing ratios of 5:20. Under the deal it is believed nurses will be able to change ratios by secret ballot if a majority of a ward agrees.

The deal was struck before nurses were due to meet today to widen bans that have already closed up to 1400 beds and postponed more than 1000 elective procedures. It means the Government has wrapped up the three key public sector enterprise agreements before today's state budget.

The deals negotiated for public servants, teachers and now nurses over threee-and-a-half years are all within realistic range of the Government's annual 3 per cent wages formula plus productivity offsets. Industry sources put the nurses' pay rise range between 3.6 and 3.8 per cent a year.

Preliminary agreement was reached after talks over the weekend and a meeting yesterday before Australian Industrial Relations Commissioner Anne Cribb.

The Australian Nursing Federation and the Victorian Hospitals Industrial Association agreed to recommend the deal at meetings of members today, which could lead to bans being lifted this afternoon.

Commissioner Cribb urged acceptance of the package: "The parties believe that the major issues between them have been addressed," she said.

Australian Nursing Federation secretary Lisa Fitzpatrick endorsed the peace plan, but said it had to be approved by nurses before bans could be lifted. "There is a package which has been recommended by the commission, which is confidential, but which is supported by the ANF and all the parties. We believe all the major issues have been protected," she said.

State Health Minister Bronwyn Pike urged nurses to return to work immediately. She said the Government had an in-principle agreement so " there's no reason why bans can't be lifted and I would urge nurses to do just that".

Ms Pike said "exhaustive negotiations" had produced plenty of compromise in a "good deal" for nurses and hospitals. "I am very satisfied and I believe the public will be very satisfied with this arrangement," she said. "We've had the responsibility of offering a fair remuneration but one that does not impact on our capacity to finance hospitals in their fundamental role of patient care into the future."

Hospitals yesterday signalled they would act swiftly to reschedule postponed elective surgery cases. An Austin Health spokesman said: "We will be working hard to erase the backlog."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your thoughts on the Nursing crisis

Is Luke Toia a nurse or did Tony Woods go into nursing after retiring Suzi?????

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your thoughts on the Nursing crisis

A big thankyou for your thoughts, my psyc nurse wife has'nt had such a good belly laugh for ages.

So when do nurses get to fight for their wages and conditions, since there will ALWAYS be sick people who need to looked after(we will anyway, as only elective surgey was stopped).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back