Your Thoughts on The Showdown!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome!!

One of the best 4 quarter full team efforts i have seen from the crows for a very long time.

Played an awesome brand of direct style footy.

Did all the hard things, with plenty of tackling and helping each other out, all the way to the end.

More efforts like today and we will win many more than we lose this year.

We must consolodate, and not be complacent.

Amazing. Was the best all round Adelaide effort against a quality side for as long as I can remember. I could label up to 15 players all in best and I wanted to give the Showdown medal to about 8 diffrent players.

Not a single Crows player would of been beaten comprehensively in their posistion.

I would just like to say one thing. Everyone review some tapes of 96 and 97 and you'll notice the young brigade of Johnson, Ricciutto, Goodwin, Edwards and Mcleod flying the flag in terms of good young midfielders. Today Reilly, Mattner, Thompson, Goodwin and Shirley looked exactly the same :)

I will still post here despite the loss. I don't run and hide behind an alternate team when we get done. You gotta take your medicine when you get flogged like we did today. He has hardly posted here in eons but was all over the Centrals' flag last year.
Fickle as.........

Ok that's much better, here's my thoughts :)

The Bloody Awesome:

Breaking the hoodoo and guaranteeing winning at least one of the 2 showdowns for the year again, life is much more tolerable when you can at least snaffle one of em'

Scotty Thompson - This bloke is as hard as nails, not always got the silkiest skills I've ever seen but he provides so much aggression that it's not funny and is looking like being a much greater impact player for us than Tyson Stenglein (who? ;) ) ever could be

Direct Play - The brand of football we played today was hard, direct, attacking and not only did it look fantastic but it was EXTREMELY effective. If your club plays that hardness for four quarters then you'll win 9 times out of 10, great work lads!

The Announcing at the end- The medal was chosen by Mark Bickley (wooo) Dwayne Russel (Woo) Jesper Fjelstad (uhh wo..) Michaelangelo Rucci (BOO YA MOTHER ************ OF A *************** I **************** HATE **************** SLEEP WITH THE FISHES)
Great work AFC supporters - deserves everythin he gets!

The Tackling and Ferocity: Gang tackling Crows- is this the same team as last week!!! Looked really hard at the man and the ball and it was fantastic!

The Fantastic:

Our Backline - Kenny Mac I was mad at you for your performance to date but that was fantastic. Between K Mac, Truck, Hound Dog, Dogga (Great game after last week Dogs) Torney and the Man himself Stiffy we just looked impenetrable (sp) Absolutely fanfreakingtastic!

The Youngsters - Martin Mattner was BOG for mine and felt sorry that he or Reilly couldn't snare the medal. I hate to say it but even Skipworth did some really good things for us today. Absolute TEAM effort no real stellar standout.
Rob Shirley really made me eat humble pie as well as I thought he really contributed today and has had a much better season than I expected to date.

Did I mention Scotty Thompson? :D

Our Forward Line: No Mark Stevens to kick goals for us - will we even kick 10 goals?

124 points later and 10 marks to Hentsch, 4 goals to Welsh and an absolute Pumping Midfield effort and I can't wipe the grin off my face

Playing 4 quarters: Now THAT'S a 4 quarter effort if ever I saw one and what better time to start!

The Bad:

Finally I can say this.... NOT APPLICABLE!!!

Soak it up Crow Boys and Crow Girls and head down to the Alma, the drinks are on me

portentous said:
I'd MUCH rather talk about Centrals' humiliating loss yesterday RS! Off one bandwagon and back on the other I presume. You are just so shallow.

Not at all Porty if I can take all those years of non-success (all 15 or so of them in my case :p )Then I'll tolerate a hiccup against Souths on our way to another flag (probably against your mob this year)

On top of that as much as I hate to say It I'd take a bullies loss every weekend if it meant a crows loss.... :eek:

Any explanations for your mob, not trolling just curious.

Cornes (K) and Dewy looked really good and I thought Ebert looked good in flashes but you guys looked really underdone.

Your midfield lacks that killer oomph and hardness that it possessed last year and I'm not sure there's anyone who can stand up. Francou and Shattock seemed to be TOO overboard on the aggro pills and gave away silly frees.

Perhaps a Port fan better in the know like yourself would know who they have earmarked as the next J Carr because I think you need to get him in there.

With Hardwick and Carr gone there's a big hole appearing in that you guys have no real enforcer in the middle and its hurting you. I wouldn't be jumping ship just yet if I was a Port fan as you always start slowly as well as having a large injury list but there were some worrying cracks appearing in your game today that's for sure.

What a floggin'
I wouldnt like to be Pork on the training track this week!

The thing I liked about the game was our gameplan through the middle, we showed it in the first half against the West Coast and played OK through the corridor and wouldve ******** in by a lot more had we not kicked wayward.

Our tackling was superb our courage in Tredreas space was good too.

Wakelin reported for charging Goodwin was pathetic though.

topjars said:
Wakelin reported for charging Goodwin was pathetic though.

:D :D :D

Greatest.... signature..... ever topjars!

Agreed on that one though throw it out now or else send the lads out in tutus, was nothing else Wakelin could do in that situation.

Was an awesome brand of football, and apart from the first few minutes never looked like we were out of control, were challanged in the 2nd quarter and responded. Port supporters have been rubbing it in for months now, well now we can hand it all back :p

Top work Crows, and a full team effort ;)

i'll start of by saying how incredibly and geninely happy i am bout the win today.
it was the first time in 5 years exactly that i've witnessed a crows win over port. yes, i missed last years as i was overseas at the time.

loved the intensity and thought the boys generally played smart, attacked down the middle, provided options for each other, but wot i really liked was the intensity and passion. they really wanted this one, as much as we supporters did.

in recent seasons i've been somewhat of a pessimist, esp. when we're up against port. i thought we played the way ppl were expecting them to play, and vice versa. i'm more than happy to be proven wrong. and as far as showdowns win go, we tend to win convincingly (showdown 2 was the big exception).

a quick run down of individual players. obviously many performed well, but i'd like to single out jason torney. first game back from career-threatening injury and he gave us hardness and stability. loved his game.
skippy's marking effort in Q1 appalled me but thought he played better after that and got us some clearances when on the ball in the third quarter.
begley is out of sorts, but to be honest i don't know wot he's achieved for him to have such a big reputation as he has amongst a lot of crows' fans.

with a bit more composure, we could be 3-0 right now. and port could've been 0-3 (lucky to get over the line last week). who would've thought that possible?

meanwhile, keep and tri-coloured flag flying and enjoy the rest of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

YAY!!! That was unreal...I really did not expect a win, let alone a 68 point one!

Best: Mattner, Roo, Thompson, Kenny, Welsh, Goodwin, McLeod, Torney...I'm sure I've forgotten someone. They all look like they are really enjoying their footy, which seems to be the total opposite from last year. I'm amazed at how much they play like a team this year too - it's great too watch. Neil Craig must be given credit for developing the 2nd tier players over the summer - Doughty, Mattner, Shirley, Skipworth have come a long way.

3 highlights of the game:
*Edwards & Thompson pinning Wanganeen to the ground as they wrestled him! Mwahah!!
*Rucci being booed
*The Shattock/Bassett thing :D

I think Scott Thompson is my new fave player :)

I just came back from the game and I am stoked. What a fantastic win. A four-quarter performance, we ran hard through the corridor, everything I wanted.

The Good
Hudson - Once again his second efforts were fantastical today. Even better was the fact he took 7 marks today. :eek:

Mattner - What a performance. Used the corridor so well with his pace and disposal. He will have gained a lot of confidence from today's performance.

Thompson - So hard at the ball that it almost embarasses other members of our team. His 5 tackles today (especially the one that gave Welsh his goal) were brilliant and he finished with a respectable 19 posessions.The only thing he'll have to watch is his kicking into the man.

McGregor - An amazing performance on Tredrea. Negated him to such an extent that big Tredders seemed invisible, but definitely not invincible.

Hentschel - A solid performance from Trent. Took some good marks but also dropped a couple in the contests. His kicking and poise today was all class. Took 10 marks.

Reilly - Two great goals, but in addition performed very well in the guts. Had a good last quarter and finished with a vey healthy 22 posessions.

Torney - So important. Consistently courageous, nearly took some excellent marks and was so poised.

Johncock - Once again showed that he is one of our best defenders.

Edwards, Riccuito, Goodwin, McLeod and Shirley were all very good today in the guts.

Van Berlo - Didn't get much gametime but still managed to impress. I don't know that Wisbey was talking about but this kid has courage in buckets. His attack on the ball was very good when he got the chance. Hopefully he plays next week and gets more game time against the Swans.

- The fact that we consistently moved the ball through the corridor, and the results were obvious. Let's just hope this continues.

- Our attack on the ball and tackling was tremendous (I'm running out of adjectives here ;) ) and set up our win.

- Our rotation of the bench was very good today. Everyone managed their fitness well and

The bad
Perrie - Dropped too many marks today. Admittedly he tapped on a few and brought them to ground, but he was too slow in his reaction-time and disposal. I'm confident however he will improve.

Begley - Dropped an ABSOLUTE sitter of a mark and only finished with 7 disposals. Is definitely in contention to be omitted for Burton next week.

Apart from that, nothing much else.

So proud of the boys today. I'm sure Craig will change his 'greatest win he has ever been involved with' from last week game with this game. Everyone went in at the ball hard, maybe not Skippy in the 1st qtr but who cares, gave it their all and the midfield was simply sublime. Begley seemed to like he wasn't with the speed of the game and dropped a simply chest mark as did Perrie in the first quarter but both redeemed themselves later on. Apart from that I could've have asked for more, nearly a perfect game by the boys. Hope they keep this up for the rest of the season! :D

Bockchoy67 said:
Van Berlo - Didn't get much gametime but still managed to impress. I don't know that Wisbey was talking about but this kid has courage in buckets. His attack on the ball was very good when he got the chance. Hopefully he plays next week and gets more game time against the Swans.

i dont think wisbey was questioning his courage. i think he was questioning his style of game. that was why he had alot of trouble assesing him.

Bockchoy67 said:
I just came back from the game and I am stoked. What a fantastic win. A four-quarter performance, we ran hard through the corridor, everything I wanted.

The Good
Hudson - Once again his second efforts were fantastical today. Even better was the fact he took 7 marks today. :eek:

Mattner - What a performance. Used the corridor so well with his pace and disposal. He will have gained a lot of confidence from today's performance.

Thompson - So hard at the ball that it almost embarasses other members of our team. His 5 tackles today (especially the one that gave Welsh his goal) were brilliant and he finished with a respectable 19 posessions.The only thing he'll have to watch is his kicking into the man.

McGregor - An amazing performance on Tredrea. Negated him to such an extent that big Tredders seemed invisible, but definitely not invincible.

Hentschel - A solid performance from Trent. Took some good marks but also dropped a couple in the contests. His kicking and poise today was all class. Took 10 marks.

Reilly - Two great goals, but in addition performed very well in the guts. Had a good last quarter and finished with a vey healthy 22 posessions.

Torney - So important. Consistently courageous, nearly took some excellent marks and was so poised.

Johncock - Once again showed that he is one of our best defenders.

Edwards, Riccuito, Goodwin, McLeod and Shirley were all very good today in the guts.

- The fact that we consistently moved the ball through the corridor, and the results were obvious. Let's just hope this continues.

- Our attack on the ball and tackling was tremendous (I'm running out of adjectives here ;) ) and set up our win.

- Our rotation of the bench was very good today. Everyone managed their fitness well and

The bad
Perrie - Dropped too many marks today. Admittedly he tapped on a few and brought them to ground, but he was too slow in his reaction-time and disposal. I'm confident however he will improve.

Begley - Dropped an ABSOLUTE sitter of a mark and only finished with 7 disposals. Is definitely in contention to be omitted for Burton next week.

Apart from that, nothing much else.

Really hard to add to that review other than I agree.

Think being fair to Perrie though if you look at the re-play there is a few goals he set up by tapping it out to players - a true type CHF role today V the more roaming game he normally plays.

theorangeapple said:
i dont think wisbey was questioning his courage. i think he was questioning his style of game. that was why he had alot of trouble assesing him.

Perhaps I shouldn't have singled out Wisbey. I was more referring to the majority of Draft Experts. Here's a quote from GOALden Hawk (who I have respect for):

"Could attack the ball a little harder"

Today I saw nothing that optimised this. Definitely a good sign. :)

Wayne's-World said:
Really hard to add to that review other than I agree.

Think being fair to Perrie though if you look at the re-play there is a few goals he set up by tapping it out to players - a true type CHF role today V the more roaming game he normally plays.

True he set up a few goals through his contesting/tapping, which I referred to.

It's just that he really struggled to take it cleanly (though we can accept this) and once he gets it, fails to react in time and resorts to hospital handpasses.

Other than that he wasn't too bad today.

Bockchoy67 said:
Perhaps I shouldn't have singled out Wisbey. I was more referring to the majority of Draft Experts. Here's a quote from GOALden Hawk (who I have respect for):

"Could attack the ball a little harder"

Today I saw nothing that optimised this. Definitely a good sign. :)

very true. he attacked the ball very hard today. some nice tap-ons.

Just some thoughts on todays game:

1. Tackling was awsome but the reflex handball from spillages invariably had a Crow player on the end - great teamwork.

2. Stats at half time had 57% of our scoring was direct down the centre, 43% down the right falnk and 0% down the right ??? - a game tactic???

3. A completely different gameplan to last weeks against Collingwood - this is making it hard for coaches of teams we're about to play to figure out what gamestyle we'll be using :)

4. Good working by NC of Van Berlo into the game (just eased him in - well done) - but good on VB for really taking some hard hits early - wasn't chasing kicks but was more interested in doing the team efforts - well done

Not so well done Skippy - PP effort!

5. Mattner - along with a few others on the Mattner train we have supported this guy through some rough periods - IMO should have got the medal !

6. without putting a dampner on todays win we still carried a few players along today - but the real need is for another quick midfielder and a quick crumbing type - Macca showed the value of that type around goals, but we need another when Macca goes into the midfield - Skipp is not the answer!

7. Doughty played the ezact role NC has asked of him from HB and unlike last week did nnot have to be as accountable for his man - set-up some wonderful attacks.

A great day, a great win and indicative that those doomsday predictions of us finishing wooden spooners or that we are doomed to spend 3 years near the bottom whilst we re-build do not understand footy or the resolve of the AFC :)

I am speechless, my throat is so sore.

Great game, I was waiting for a comeback but it never came.

I hope we can turn it on like that for more than just this week.

GO YOU BLOODY CROWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back