Your Thoughts on The Showdown!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bockchoy67 said:
True he set up a few goals through his contesting/tapping, which I referred to.

It's just that he really struggled to take it cleanly (though we can accept this) and once he gets it, fails to react in time and resorts to hospital handpasses.

Other than that he wasn't too bad today.
Thought he played a more stay at home role today and had to stand his ground more - different from his normal gamestyle? - Thoughts?

Wayne's-World said:
Thought he played a more stay at home role today and had to stand his ground more - different from his normal gamestyle? - Thoughts?

Looking at the INS and OUTS, Mark Stevens was the only tall forward to go out of the side.

Stevo usually plays close to the goal square, and Perrie's style was quite similar. Perhaps the omission of Stevo required Perrie to stay closer to goal?

I'm just as happy as a pig in sh*it. I said before the game, that we would have the better midfield rotations and that they lacked an intimidator. Well on both counts, we belted them. They lacked both Burgoynes and Mahoney from the midfield and they have no intimidtaor whilst Pickett isn't there. Francou and Primus days are numbered (age and their injury toll is catching up with them).

Loved the skill level and hitting of targets and great to see the Power flood (or is that called playing defensively).

Can't wait to see Rucci's article tommorrow and see him squirm. Yes!

Now for Sydney.

Wayne's-World said:
Just some thoughts on todays game:

1. Tackling was awsome but the reflex handball from spillages invariably had a Crow player on the end - great teamwork.

2. Stats at half time had 57% of our scoring was direct down the centre, 43% down the right falnk and 0% down the right ??? - a game tactic???

3. A completely different gameplan to last weeks against Collingwood - this is making it hard for coaches of teams we're about to play to figure out what gamestyle we'll be using :)

4. Good working by NC of Van Berlo into the game (just eased him in - well done) - but good on VB for really taking some hard hits early - wasn't chasing kicks but was more interested in doing the team efforts - well done

Not so well done Skippy - PP effort!

5. Mattner - along with a few others on the Mattner train we have supported this guy through some rough periods - IMO should have got the medal !

6. without putting a dampner on todays win we still carried a few players along today - but the real need is for another quick midfielder and a quick crumbing type - Macca showed the value of that type around goals, but we need another when Macca goes into the midfield - Skipp is not the answer!

7. Doughty played the ezact role NC has asked of him from HB and unlike last week did nnot have to be as accountable for his man - set-up some wonderful attacks.

A great day, a great win and indicative that those doomsday predictions of us finishing wooden spooners or that we are doomed to spend 3 years near the bottom whilst we re-build do not understand footy or the resolve of the AFC :)

Spot on.

Wayne's-World said:
Oh I sorry I forgot one comment - Hudson you bloody beauty - great to see a thinking ruckman, kept palming to the right side even though he was left handed and the natural instinct is to go left seide.

Biglands - "Meh"!!!!

Agreed. Hudson was brilliant in his thinking today as well as his renowned efforts. Even better is the fact that he managed 7 marks...

Biglands was almost non-existant today and apart from a few good efforts, didn't really add much. Despite his experience he is still lacking in the ruckwork department and his overhead marking is STILL yet to improve. Definitely some concerns there. :eek:

how good was that today - the gave it there all can't happier with the result

it was soo good to see a player like S thompson in our team - reminds me of a mini roo !!

can only be online breifly but i was completly stoked with Mattner, Rielly hentshcel and thompson today they were awesome

but i do understand that the Power had 3-4 midfielders out so a win was good but 68 points was just Great !!!

i reckon in the last quarter it was the first time in a long time that Port looked lost going forward nothing they did was right.

but GO YOU CROWS

cant wait to read up on monday !

Congratulations to your mob, top effort!
Of note was the crows domination of the centre, greater intensity and much better leg speed all over the ground. Well done.

Best game from the Crows for a long time. What stood out for me was the enthusiasm, the teaming, the one-percenters, the backing up of one another. The back six and the midfield were awsome. Movement into the forward line so different to the previous two weeks. If we play with that sort of application for the rest of the year, we'll be there in September.
Thought Mattner deserved the medal although Roo had a good one.

Bockchoy67 said:
Agreed. Hudson was brilliant in his thinking today as well as his renowned efforts. Even better is the fact that he managed 7 marks...

Biglands was almost non-existant today and apart from a few good efforts, didn't really add much. Despite his experience he is still lacking in the ruckwork department and his overhead marking is STILL yet to improve. Definitely some concerns there. :eek:
How is it at 26 years of age in his 3rd year of footy he still knows where to position himself to get 7 marks and I don't know how many possessions?

Biglands gets how many possessions a game 7 or so maybe 2-3 mrks and he's soupposed to be our experienced ruckman and understudy to #1 ruckman Clarke - I don't think so.

Would say Hudson is almost our lead ruckman at this stage

beartoo said:
Best game from the Crows for a long time. What stood out for me was the enthusiasm, the teaming, the one-percenters, the backing up of one another. The back six and the midfield were awsome. Movement into the forward line so different to the previous two weeks. If we play with that sort of application for the rest of the year, we'll be there in September.
Thought Mattner deserved the medal although Roo had a good one.
Must say I was slighty disappointed when Roos name came up as I thought there were a couple more deserving of the medal - not to say he didn't play a great game.

Hate to intrude but I"ve just gotta say what a great game it was. Adelaide played a superb brand of football and it seems they are underated highly by many. Great game from Megregor (no idea how to spell it) also was very impressed by reilly. I'd say you've got a lot to look forward to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, what a game! :cool: Fantastic win by the Adelaide footy club.
Just about every player did their bit today, which is what we need because we really can't just rely on one or two players.

I thought either Stiffy or Mattner would've won the Showdown medal, but congrats to Roo. Great effort!

Good to see the boys sharing the goalkicking around as well. 18 goals..... fantastic! :)

How can you say Hudson is ALMOST our lead ruck? He is easily the best... Biglands is rubbish, for a man his size he should dominate. Clarke is crap as well.

Hudson dominated just about every game he played last year at NAFC i could see he would become a class AFL ruckman, its not just his tap work and marking, if the ball is on the ground he will happily dive on it and try and feed out a handball or slap the ball to a team mate.

Very very agile for a big fella. Top bloke off the field though.

Off topic, but when he wasnt playing for North last year and the Crows played at home, he would be at the North game, joining the quarter times huddle and supporting his team mates who he had known for less than a year. He will become a lot better with more experience, which is great for the crows.

RoosterLad said:
Off topic, but when he wasnt playing for North last year and the Crows played at home, he would be at the North game, joining the quarter times huddle and supporting his team mates who he had known for less than a year. He will become a lot better with more experience, which is great for the crows.
Thats fantastic to hear and it's understandable then why he appears to be so well like by his team mates.

I also think this lack of "team bonding" that was behind Peel leaving Norths?

RoosterLad said:
How can you say Hudson is ALMOST our lead ruck? He is easily the best... Biglands is rubbish, for a man his size he should dominate. Clarke is crap as well.

Hudson dominated just about every game he played last year at NAFC i could see he would become a class AFL ruckman, its not just his tap work and marking, if the ball is on the ground he will happily dive on it and try and feed out a handball or slap the ball to a team mate.

Very very agile for a big fella. Top bloke off the field though.

Yep, Huddo to lead our rucks this year. Bring in Clarke for dumlands with a view to Meeson taking over from Clarke.

Well, what a result. Still was nervous when we were 7 goals up at 3 QT, but we got there.

Good
Everyone had an input in the game, honestly in the paper tomorrow it should be like in the U/10's newsletter: Best players - All played well.

The midfield
- Undoubtedly back to one of the best in the business. Roo, McLeod, Goodwin, Edwards, Thompson, Reilly, Mattner, Shirley. At the start of the third quarter we had Roo and McLeod in the forward line - in years gone by if that happened our midfield would be ********ed, but I look over and Edwards, Goody and Thompson are starting - still an A-grade midfield.

Defense - Absolutely rock solid now. Statistically the best defence in the league. Rutten - McGregor - Hart - Bassett - Torney - Doughty - Johncock makes for one solid defense.

Tackling - Absolute feature of our game today. Mattner, Thompson, Edwards and Reilly the best.

Team spirit - Really look like they are playing for everyone involved in the footy club. Good to see a 2-1 fight with Edwards-Thommo taking it to Wangannen - That's what we like to see.

The Bad
Not much, Skippy's effort on 1 mark in the first quarter was crap but apart from that not much went wrong.

The Bad
Not much, Skippy's effort on 1 mark in the first quarter was crap but apart from that not much went wrong.[/QUOTE]
He also went for another markby sticking up one arm and kicked a high ball to a 4 on 1 and that was just the first quarter

Wayne's-World said:
Must say I was slighty disappointed when Roos name came up as I thought there were a couple more deserving of the medal - not to say he didn't play a great game.
Same here. Torney was my pick.

However, when Port got within 14 points in the second quarter and with the momentum, NC brought Roo back on and he just put the team on his shoulders and carried him for the rest of the half. He got a couple of hardball gets and kicked a captain's goal that slowed Port down and gave us confidence to keep attacking and putting on score board pressure.

Some general comments:

That was the best brand of footy we have played since Blight years. Really exciting football and some excellent ball movements.

Scott Thompson - I simply LOVE this guy. He just gets in there and keeps getting the pill. He kicked into a man on the mark twice but I thought he was superb both in the midfield and in the forward line. Along with Mattner, one of our very best tacklers. His forward line pressure was fantastic and even if his tackles don't stick, he still causes a spillage. Got into a bit of biff 2 games in a row and I like it :D.

Matin Mattner - Keep playing like that mate because that was simply sensational. Breaking the lines, carrying the ball and delivering it beautifully. Tackling was superb as always.

Jason Torney - Just how good was he. Had him as my BOG and I still can't beleive some people don't have him in their best 18 and are even mentioning him as someone that should be delisted :eek:

Brent Reilly - VERY VERY good. Played on the wing and onball and was just class. Went in hard and kicked a couple of goals. I liked his game very much.

Ben Hudson - I simply LOVE this bloke. He just has a crack and I thought he had the better of Port trio. Keep fighting and keeps getting better. Can't remember the last time our ruckman took 7 marks.

Kenny McGregor - I was sceptical about giving him a job on Tredders because he was out of form but boy did he prove me wrong. Was simply outstanding in his negating role.

Michael Doughty - Didn't he bounce back well after an insipid game against Eddie's mob.

Trent Hentschel - I think some of the things this kid did went unnoticed today. I could count 4 goal assists from him. His awareness and his ability to hold onto the ball until exactly the right moment makes him a very special player. Played every where today. Even had a run on the wing.

I am sure I have missed someone but overall it was a very encouraging game for us. A top team effort.

Stiffy_18 said:
Scott Thompson - I simply LOVE this guy. He just gets in there and keeps getting the pill. He kicked into a man on the mark twice but I thought he was superb both in the midfield and in the forward line. Along with Mattner, one of our very best tacklers. His forward line pressure was fantastic and even if his tackles don't stick, he still causes a spillage. Got into a bit of biff 2 games in a row and I like it :D.

Stiffy, I mentioned this already in the votes thread, but the way he goes about it and moves reminds me very much of Cameron Ling. What do you think of this assessment?

If he can continue to develop we'll have a very good player on our hands.

dyertribe said:
Stiffy, I mentioned this already in the votes thread, but the way he goes about it and moves reminds me very much of Cameron Ling. What do you think of this assessment?

If he can continue to develop we'll have a very good player on our hands.

Better looking than one of the AFL's leading candidates for ugliest player, but yes, DT. ;)

Hard as nails, crashes packs, keeps his feet, provides run - very similar type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back