Your Thoughts on The Showdown!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

portentous said:
Whatever.......... we played crap, you played extremely well. I'm just wondering why we played so crap, apart from the pressure you guys exerted on us, which was awesome. I'm in no way demeaning Adelaides' win.

I heard Rod Jameson on SEN last week say that historically the team that settles first tends to win the showdown.

We've seen in past versions how some of our players have gone out there so determined to "make a statement" that they have gone away from what makes them good. Roo has made this mistake once or twice, particularly when Josh Carr got under his skin. Jammo himself got sucked in by Cummings' verbals in 1997.

I suspect that with Josh Francou playing like a man who's just found out that Ashley and Martin have gone into receivership, and McGregor getting under Tredrea's skin, the early momentum went to Adelaide and Port were thrown out of Plan A and into Plan B, and never really got it back.

portentous said:
Fair point.

Anyway I'm one of those obstinate Port supporters that posts MORE and goes to training MORE when we're getting done. I think that's when your club needs you the most. Went every week to training in 2000, despite it being such a crappy year because it's important the players see some support. Doesn't mean I'm not bitterly disappointed with yesterdays' ********poor effort tho.

Keep your chin up portentous. :)

**** said:
Anyone else agree that was Reilly's best game ever?

I think young Radar thought it was his best game ever too. I was watching him after the siren and he was the most animated and pumped Crow out there.

The boy's gaining confidence now - great stuff.

portentous said:
My opinion is that we can't replace Josh Carr.

That's the crux of it. When we threatened to blow the game open early in the second quarter, Choco would previously have been able to throw Carr and Hardwick into the middle to scrag and niggle and negate us at the stoppages. No such luxury this year.

As far as sheer importance to the club in the past couple of years goes, Carr was second only to Tredrea - you simply can't replace what he added to the structure.

It would have been in the interests of brotherly love and everyone at Alberton to try to bring Matthew over, rather than lose Josh.

marvin said:
I heard Rod Jameson on SEN last week say that historically the team that settles first tends to win the showdown.

We've seen in past versions how some of our players have gone out there so determined to "make a statement" that they have gone away from what makes them good. Roo has made this mistake once or twice, particularly when Josh Carr got under his skin. Jammo himself got sucked in by Cummings' verbals in 1997.

I suspect that with Josh Francou playing like a man who's just found out that Ashley and Martin have gone into receivership, and McGregor getting under Tredrea's skin, the early momentum went to Adelaide and Port were thrown out of Plan A and into Plan B, and never really got it back.

When i saw Johncock chest Primus & make him take a backward step in the 1st quarter i knew it was gonna be our day. ;)

Mind i was still on high alert right up until half way into the last 1/4 & i was then able to relax & fully enjoy our demolition of the Port Power. :)

marvin said:
Actually, it took Rehn about 2/3 of a season to start approaching his best form in 1997.

I disagree, his first game back was against Bullies in round 5 IIRC and he had far more of an impact early on than Francou has.

Bockchoy67 said:
True he set up a few goals through his contesting/tapping, which I referred to.

It's just that he really struggled to take it cleanly (though we can accept this) and once he gets it, fails to react in time and resorts to hospital handpasses.

Other than that he wasn't too bad today.

Why does he persist with the glove ????

dyertribe said:
That's the crux of it. When we threatened to blow the game open early in the second quarter, Choco would previously have been able to throw Carr and Hardwick into the middle to scrag and niggle and negate us at the stoppages. No such luxury this year.

As far as sheer importance to the club in the past couple of years goes, Carr was second only to Tredrea - you simply can't replace what he added to the structure.

It would have been in the interests of brotherly love and everyone at Alberton to try to bring Matthew over, rather than lose Josh.
Absolutely correct. Carr has been the guy that has been under every pack and has allowed Port the luxury of having other runners playing ahead of the ball.

Wayne's-World said:
Thought he played a more stay at home role today and had to stand his ground more - different from his normal gamestyle? - Thoughts?

Agree & was more effective playing closer to goal.. He's such a confidence player, had he taken the mark in the goalsquare...he may have ended up with 3 or 4.He gets stuffall from umpires...

Having said all that we DO need a top class crumbing forward...maybe this is where Ladhams slots in...someone like Davey would be sensational....!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I'm still ********ed. But I'd like to give Shirly a wrap. I think he has been very, very good for us so far. He has beaten, and beaten well all three opponents.
It is fantastic to see the so called second teir players play so well. Can some one get me a beer?

marvin said:
Clarke and Stevens "fringe players"?

Our lead ruckman for the past few years (and reigning "best team man") and the guy who ran in the top 3 in the B+F the last two years he was fit, fringe players?

As opposed to the irreplaceable heart of the Port Adelaide side, Thurstans and Mahoney.

Pffft.
Spot on Marvin. I was about to pull Portentous up on that post, but you've said it all for me.

Fergus said:
Absolutely correct. Carr has been the guy that has been under every pack and has allowed Port the luxury of having other runners playing ahead of the ball.

For sure. I believe Freo has benefitted from his presence in the team already.
Makes them more of a top 6 team now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back