Universal Love Your Tiger story - share your story here

Remove this Banner Ad

Grew up in Essendon, didn't worry much about football until my cousin got signed with the Tigers in 1966, my dad took me to see him play in the reserves and then when he made it to the firsts, he played in their 67 & 69 grand finals. So been following them since 1966, my wife and sons are all Richmond supporters. And watch every match they play.

Hey all! Been following this site for a while because of the Tigercast. Thought I would finally make an account.

Born in to a Richmond family. Started following footy in 2005 when I was 11. Went to my first ever game with my dad, grandpa and uncle in round 6 2005. It was Richo's 200th. We were sitting on the second level at the Coventry end of the dome as it was called back then. Still my fondest memory of footy to this day was when Richo took that screamer in the goal square to put us in front late in the second quarter, it was right in front of us, we had the best seats in the house for it. The crowd was going nuts and my grandpa tapped me on the shoulder and said "you will never forgot this moment and you can look back and say you were right here". We went on and belted Port that day. As much unimaginable joy our flags brought me this will always be my fondest memory of footy. That day with my dad, grandpa and uncle and falling in love with the Tigers. Haven't missed a game since :thumbsu:

Hey all! Been following this site for a while because of the Tigercast. Thought I would finally make an account.

Born in to a Richmond family. Started following footy in 2005 when I was 11. Went to my first ever game with my dad, grandpa and uncle in round 6 2005. It was Richo's 200th. We were sitting on the second level at the Coventry end of the dome as it was called back then. Still my fondest memory of footy to this day was when Richo took that screamer in the goal square to put us in front late in the second quarter, it was right in front of us, we had the best seats in the house for it. The crowd was going nuts and my grandpa tapped me on the shoulder and said "you will never forgot this moment and you can look back and say you were right here". We went on and belted Port that day. As much unimaginable joy our flags brought me this will always be my fondest memory of footy. That day with my dad, grandpa and uncle and falling in love with the Tigers. Haven't missed a game since :thumbsu:
Great story

Have never lived in Vic (WA all my life) but my Uncle who I'm very close to lived about 200m from Glenferrie Oval so he and all his family were Hawks supporters and when I was 10 or 11, went to Melb to visit him & he took me along to Glenferrie with all his Hawks family. I didnt know much about VFL in those days but loved stirring up my uncle and cousins so I barracked for the yellow & black team who Hawks were playing and Tiges happened to win.

12 months later, we visited again and coincidentally Hawks were playing Tigers at same place with same result and I was hooked. 43 years member as are all my wife and kids. Have seen every GF since 1980 and have been lucky enough to have called with many Tiger legends as mates such as Neville Crowe, Rob Wiley, David Palm, Michael Mitchell, Dave Cuzens

Further to my previous post about why I'm a Tigers member, I want to post a story on why I love Trent Cotchin and admire him not just for triple flag captain but the person he is.

When my youngest son was 15, he was vice captain & his friend was the captain of their team. For whatever reason and we'll never know, his friend committed suicide. My son, who was a very quiet kid at the best of times, became even more introverted and also had to very reluctantly step up to the captaincy role as we were going to be in the finals within a few weeks. About a month after the tragedy, Tigers played over here at Subiaco oval (we won) and I was lucky enough to get into the change rooms after with my 2 boys. After 30 min, all the players meetings had finished and a friend of mine who was working with the Tigers introduced Trent to my sons & told Cotch about the tragedy & how he had to step up to now be the captain.

This was the 2nd or 3rd year of Cotch's captaincy when he was copping a bit of flak but he chatted to my two boys whilst I was talking to my mate. I kept listening in and Cotch was so empathic it nearly made me cry. I stepped back to let my boys be with Cotch without any interference from me and he spent 10 to 15 min with the 2 of them and I could see my youngest son really opening up. After, my sons told me that he was so easy to talk to as he was so genuine. Cotch just talked about how rewarding captaincy is & that my son's friend would have wanted him to lead the team, but more importantly they said Cotch was the guy asking all the questions rather than just talking about himself. This made them feel so at ease.

Before our finals started, Cotch sent a message to my son and after we lost the prelim. They also both received a signed personal birthday card that year which they are so proud of. I daresay it would have been my mate who told Cotch about the finals, birthdays and arranged the message but to my boys, it was all Trent and they have adored him ever since with posters, personalised Tiger license plates with the number 9 incorporated in them, #9 jumpers etc .

I developed a man crush that day as the guy could easily have spent a minute with them but he took the time to understand how my son was feeling about his loss and the new role he was thrust into at a time when Trent himself was copping it. That is the character of one of the AFL's great captains.

Trent Cotchin forever!!

Have never lived in Vic (WA all my life) but my Uncle who I'm very close to lived about 200m from Glenferrie Oval so he and all his family were Hawks supporters and when I was 10 or 11, went to Melb to visit him & he took me along to Glenferrie with all his Hawks family. I didnt know much about VFL in those days but loved stirring up my uncle and cousins so I barracked for the yellow & black team who Hawks were playing and Tiges happened to win.

12 months later, we visited again and coincidentally Hawks were playing Tigers at same place with same result and I was hooked. 43 years member as are all my wife and kids. Have seen every GF since 1980 and have been lucky enough to have called with many Tiger legends as mates such as Neville Crowe, Rob Wiley, David Palm, Michael Mitchell, Dave Cuzens
That's amazing <3

I'm from Adelaide and I just chose Richmond cause I liked Tigers. When I found out they had Tiger conservation membership I just fell in love and bought that.

I was born to a soccer loving dad and former footy fan mum. Mum had lived overseas for a while and not kept up with her love for Tony Modra and the Fremantle Football Club. During my earliest memories, my mum asked me walking up Glen Waverley station who I'd go for. As a car fanatic, I said Richmond. Can you guess why? The 'Jeep' was so noticable even when they announced the partnership ending I cried buckets. My mum bought me a jumper, I watched Jack Riewoldt kick 8 against the Saints in my first ever game, and declared my love. I watched our slow and painful executions during 2013-2015. My mum joked that they were "Ninthmond" again. In 2016, Sam Lloyd's goal after the siren reassured me that we could do it. Then it came. 2017. I think I said enough for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My story isn't a super long one but it was 94 I decided I was going to go for the cats because I liked cats.
My mum rang her best friend whose whole family were tigers and the next day I was a Richmond member.

Been a member since 94 now.

I also jumped on the tiger conservation membership when it first launched because I love tigers (the animal aswell!) so I'm glad the club is doing something for wild tigers.

My story isn't a super long one but it was 94 I decided I was going to go for the cats because I liked cats.
My mum rang her best friend whose whole family were tigers and the next day I was a Richmond member.

Been a member since 94 now.

I also jumped on the tiger conservation membership when it first launched because I love tigers (the animal aswell!) so I'm glad the club is doing something for wild tigers.

Very similar story to mine besides the whole family part and I also pull out conservation membership! Great club initiative

Not so much a Tiger story as a Collingscum one. In 2017, my family and I organized a special GF function at my mate's pub here in Thailand. Around 20 people were there. After our victory we were so thrilled we shouted the bar booze and pizzas. My Collingwood supporting cousin was there and thoroughly enjoyed the free celebration fare. Come last week, him, us and only six other friends were at another pub to watch his team win and you guessed it, the miserable bastard did not shout anything other than Coll-ing-wood all friggin night. In the end I bought him a beer just to shut him up.

Pretty well sums up Tiger and Jackpie supporters eh!

On SM-A426B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not so much a Tiger story as a Collingscum one. In 2017, my family and I organized a special GF function at my mate's pub here in Thailand. Around 20 people were there. After our victory we were so thrilled we shouted the bar booze and pizzas. My Collingwood supporting cousin was there and thoroughly enjoyed the free celebration fare. Come last week, him, us and only six other friends were at another pub to watch his team win and you guessed it, the miserable bastard did not shout anything other than Coll-ing-wood all friggin night. In the end I bought him a beer just to shut him up.

Pretty well sums up Tiger and Jackpie supporters eh!

On SM-A426B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Richmond = Best of the working class
Collingwood = The worst

I don’t really have a Richmond story but all the attributes shown by our “Captain Blood” encapsulates my Love of this club. Hope this post is ok Mods…. Enjoy !! The Best Football player that has ever been, Football Royalty & RFC Legend….

Remove this Banner Ad

Back