Universal Love Your Tiger story - share your story here

Monjike

Senior List
Mar 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
I wish we had more footage of that time. I remember someone showing highlights on this board of our 60s success and it was incredible. The standard of the footy, no s**t was awesome. We’ve lost something in this game.
Late 60's that is...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EvenExhale

Nike TN Appreciation Society
Jul 11, 2017
Revolver Upstairs
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Sheffield Wed, Toronto Raptors
Not really a story of how i became a supporter but a good tiger story nevertheless so thought id share.

Think it was around 2010 we hadn’t one a game that year my old man decided to take me on my first road trip as a kid to adelaide.

Think we went across on the friday and were looking for a place to eat in s**tty hindley street that night. We were walking down the street and eventually bumped into some of the tiger boys getting a feed on a table outside.

My dad immediately stopped and said boys we’ve come across to watch you tomorrow. And anyway jack said to us well we better have a win for you.

We rock up the next day to football park and it poured down rain. My dad somehow managed to pick seats right near the port members seating. Both of us are very vocal at the footy and as you can imagine it didnt sit well with those ferals.

As the day went on somehow the luckless tigers went on to win that slog of a game. Im pretty sure it was hardwicks first win as coach.

As the siren went we ran down to the fence and were the only tigers fans really in the area. Jack spotted us and ran over giving me a signed ball and when he got closer he remembered we were the fans from last night.

Giving us a hug he said ‘i told you we’d have a win’

Something small but a great memory for me personally!

Sir_Loin

Premium Platinum
Oct 20, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Not really a story of how i became a supporter but a good tiger story nevertheless so thought id share.

Think it was around 2010 we hadn’t one a game that year my old man decided to take me on my first road trip as a kid to adelaide.

Think we went across on the friday and were looking for a place to eat in s**tty hindley street that night. We were walking down the street and eventually bumped into some of the tiger boys getting a feed on a table outside.

My dad immediately stopped and said boys we’ve come across to watch you tomorrow. And anyway jack said to us well we better have a win for you.

We rock up the next day to football park and it poured down rain. My dad somehow managed to pick seats right near the port members seating. Both of us are very vocal at the footy and as you can imagine it didnt sit well with those ferals.

As the day went on somehow the luckless tigers went on to win that slog of a game. Im pretty sure it was hardwicks first win as coach.

As the siren went we ran down to the fence and were the only tigers fans really in the area. Jack spotted us and ran over giving me a signed ball and when he got closer he remembered we were the fans from last night.

Awesome. Love the raid into enemy territory too. Only us tiges do this hehe

smasha

Premium Platinum
Sep 7, 2003
Richmond Paddock
AFL Club
Richmond
Smasha one thing Ive always wondered about drummers is - are you playing the drums in your mind slightly before smashing the drums? I know that sounds logical but it’s almost if you’ve laid down the track in your mind as to how it should be ideally and when you play you’re getting as close to that as possible? Almost like visualising in real time what it should be.
It’s just practising different stickings of rudiments until they become second nature,it takes time though.

The ole paradiddle rlrr lrll can be inverted rllr lrrl and polar opposite rrlr llrl then you can combine singles rlrl or doubles as well rlrl rrll lrlr llrr,then there is flamming of those notes which is putting a soft note just before an accented note lR rL so they sound like one.

At a basic level,drums are quite simple but because you are dealing with maths in a way,the possibilities are endless ,not quite as much theory as learning the myriad of scales and techniques on guitar but drumming is a very physical instrument,keeps me fit and sane.

I used an old book called stick control,it’s pretty much the bible of hand technique.

I was too thin to be good at sports lol but used to bang away on plastic ice cream containers with spoons at a very early age so my dear mum took me to drum lessons.

Last edited:

roacheee

Premiership Player
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I would have been dead by suicide years ago if it weren’t for Richmond,they kept me going in very bleak periods of my life.

I wanted to make it in a rock band but failed and carry the regrets with me,been close two times only to be screwed by shoddy managers,my drumming is better than ever but I haven’t played in a band for 15 years now,was in the covers band Big Deal,drummer for Hobbs Angel Of Death,New Holland(Big Deals original band),Valanti (punk rock girl singer with musos from Newcastle who moved to Melbourne) and The Darling Buds(not the uk band) with Andrew Grant on vox.

Things have happened in my family that affected us all to the point
I nearly gave up on Richmond.

I’m not telling anyone about it and has nothing to do with me.

I have not been truly happy since and drink alot and get angry alot,I can cover it up very well with alcohol but also the Tiger mates I have made keep me going,even Flea always says hi in the 3121,Richmond look after everyone,no matter how helpless or dumb they are,that is the Gale influence.

But I became a Tiger in 74 when shown the back to back flag on the newspaper colour liftout,I did go to a Pies Blues game at Vic Park when very young but the teams did nothing for me,Richmond had larger than life heroes,KB and Sheeds stood out for me as a young kid when watching on a b and w tv then later I loved Jimmy Jess,Michael Roach then my all time hero Maurice Rioli,he was doing stuff that highly skillful players do now and he was tough also,was a very good boxer,it will be a dream when junior comes to Richmond like having Dan at the club,I was absolutely elated when we got him.

My first game was in ‘77 anzac game against Collingwood ,we got flogged,I stood up in the aisles of the northern stand.

Anyway,my mum is a Pie and she has been the backbone of our family,follows Richmond more now these days because of me.

Yellow and black,you never go back!

Hopefully one day I get back in a band but can’t see it happening,cheers.

Here’s me jamming away like a dh.

We should have a jam some day

Punt rd end

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2015
Great Southern Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL Richmond VFLW
My Great Grandfather opened a bootmaker in Church st Richmond around 1906 and moved into that premises but lived in Richmond since the late 1800s. My Grandfather went to St Ignatius, played footy and ended up playing for Richmond for 4 seasons, later he would become VP of the reserves and serve on the committee. My uncle played in the Richmond reserves around 1942 and later his son (my cousin) started playing for Richmond and worked his way up from the age of 16 to the 1sts. He played with Bourke, Bartlett, Malthouse, Lee, Strachan, Cloke, Keane etc so it was a hard team to break into. A knee injury killed his career.

Edit. My Grandfather would let a young Charlie Callander carry his bag into the club on training nights and Saturdays so he didn't have to pay. The rest is history and Charlie never forgot it. My cousin said that Charlie always made sure he had new socks for games lol.

I have only ever known 1 team

Last edited:

Punt rd end

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2015
Great Southern Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL Richmond VFLW
We came to Australia in 1966 being a Greek kid living in Box Hill was pretty tough I started going to the footy in 67 to a few games more in 68: Billy Barrot was my hero saw the grand final in 69, 72,73 74 and 80, 82 from 73 used to sit in the old northern stand bottom tier directly behind KBs mum, dad and sister, as I got older old Arthur who sat next to me used to take me to the away games as well, then when I started to drive took him, from 79 till 85 we missed only one game as I was travelling interstate to play in a soccer tournament, it was 1980 we were playing south and lost just before the finals , sticks in the memory as on the bus ride back my mate Paul and I were listening to it on the radio and all we could say they will come back, they will come back.

In 82 Helen started two rows in front of us nice arse and she was a contortionist at the crazy horse in Adelaide , was there with Arthur, and my little sister, pretty quiet drive home, I have seen us play everywhere apart from punt road and the junction oval.

In 85 I went to New Guinea but still retained and paid for my membership, came home and watched them a few times, in 87 I came down , we were playing Footscray and I arrived just before the game, sat down in my seat, this was before reserved seating , the people around you kept your seat, and Mrs B turned around and said you been away a couple of weeks, it was two years at that stage.

My sisters both are tigers, one nephew, the other one supports the scum ,I don’t know how that happened, my son and his two boys are all tigers, my ex was a swans but when she met me switched, my daughter who hates footy is a tiger, my mum is a tiger, dad followed the dorks.

My current lady has a soft spot for us, in 2013. I was in Australia and whilst watching the game against free , I burst into tears , she being a Queensland lass said what’s wrong with you, I said I never believed we would play finals again, and to top it all in 2017, I came down for the cats game, and cried,

I have met some great people on BF, and it’s great to be part of such a great family, my only regret is never meeting Shaza/Groupie or whatever name he goes under, but to the people I have met a toast to all
I grew up in Box Hill as well, in Blackburn south now. If you are on facebook there is a "I grew up in Box Hill" page you might like it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiger Toffee

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
My Great Grandfather opened a bootmaker in Church st Richmond around 1906 and moved into that premises but lived in Richmond since the late 1800s. My Grandfather went to St Ignatius, played footy and ended up playing for Richmond for 4 seasons, later he would become VP of the reserves and serve on the committee. My uncle played in the Richmond reserves around 1942 and later his son (my cousin) started playing for Richmond and worked his way up from the age of 16 to the 1sts. He played with Bourke, Bartlett, Malthouse, Lee, Strachan, Cloke, Keane etc so it was a hard team to break into. A knee injury killed his career.

I have only ever known 1 team
C'mon you can't leave us hanging, who are they ?

Truetiger

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 27, 2004
Croydon
AFL Club
Richmond
All my family are tigers so really didn’t have a say. Went with them every week without fail win lose or draw. Remember a time my dad took me out to Footscray one day for a game then a topless bar after. Never in my dreams did I believe I would see Richmond win a premiership. In saying that our Premiership was the last game I could watch before my dad passed away shortly later. So really thrilled I had that chance at least once.

Dr Tigris

Premium Platinum
Aug 19, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
Can't remember why I went tigers. Dad was a very soft Cats fan. Brother and I grew up with the Hafey Tigers. So my first memories of footy was watching Royce Hart on one leg making an idiot of 2 or 3 opposition backs.

Just got sucked into the greatest team of the time I guess. Then transition to the early 80's, awesome squad that could have dominated. It took me a few years to realise how appalling we were as the game professionalized and the draft came in. Somehow the pain just made it harder to leave the club. As my heart was broken and it healed over into a scarred lump of flesh I became more of a genuine fan. 2017 was an amazing feeling. I'm just so proud of the club now. I reckon the best club in the land for ethics and genuinely caring.

harrythetiger

Summited Everest 30/9/17
Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
this change didn't come as a request via us, it was just meant to be a short term joke from admin I think, but once they saw how salty oppo posters got when it kept changing admin just left it there for laughs.
Pretty sure I asked for Chief to do it as a trade off when the Saltmine got shut down.

tigland

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 9, 2009
A Galaxy Far Far Away
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Mt Buller, LA Kings, Raiders, Boro
I was born into it...Nan was a volunteer at the club and I used to go every week with her and Pa. Sat in the same seats at G every week (before reserved seating).

I remember Saturdays being dropped off at Nan's and driving to the G via the TAB to put Pa's bets on. We would arrive just before the gates opened at 11am. The bell would sound and the gates would open and we would go and get our seats. Nan sat with the same group she always had in the Olympic stand for 30 years.

We copped some smashings in the 80s but when we won, I was able to get into the rooms after the game...we would then rush to the car so we could hear ABC radio on how good the Tigers had been... Fantatic memories!!

My wife is a Carlton supporter and my daughter a bomber (I live on Essendon so she wants to fit in at school). She 14 now but still comes to Tigers games with me.

Love the club, always will and will always remember the 80s and Nan introducing me to this amazing club... Oh and I got a seat in 2017, cried and wasn't even ashamed

Meli

#gotiges
Aug 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

Awesome!

Top Bottom