Universal Love Your Tiger story - share your story here

Bojangles17

Brownlow Medallist
May 17, 2004
Punt Rd
AFL Club
Richmond
I was born into it...Nan was a volunteer at the club and I used to go every week with her and Pa. Sat in the same seats at G every week (before reserved seating).

I remember Saturdays being dropped off at Nan's and driving to the G via the TAB to put Pa's bets on. We would arrive just before the gates opened at 11am. The bell would sound and the gates would open and we would go and get our seats. Nan sat with the same group she always had in the Olympic stand for 30 years.

We copped some smashings in the 80s but when we won, I was able to get into the rooms after the game...we would then rush to the car so we could hear ABC radio on how good the Tigers had been... Fantatic memories!!

My wife is a Carlton supporter and my daughter a bomber (I live on Essendon so she wants to fit in at school). She 14 now but still comes to Tigers games with me.

Love the club, always will and will always remember the 80s and Nan introducing me to this amazing club... Oh and I got a seat in 2017, cried and wasn't even ashamed
I remember the days they’d let ordinary punters into the rooms after the game until it was bursting , if we were set for a rare win I’d bolt around to get in to soak it all in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

westiger

Yellow and Black Forever
Dec 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont, Darley FC, Bengals
My parents & I migrated from Scotland when I was about 18 months old in 1969 so we had no family history of following Aussie Rules. My parents hated Aussie Rules when they first saw it on tv & I was almost forbidden to watch it apparently. When I went to primary school I told them I had to be allowed to watch it or I'd be an outcast. Thankfully they relented.

I think I chose Richmond because we were top dogs at the time (I'm an original bandwagoner 😊) & I loved the tiger as an animal.

Went to my first Richmond match on Anzac Day in 1977 against Collingwood & became a member in 1982 & have been ever since, although i moved to the UK and Europe for about 11 years from 2001 (right after the Essendon final) & following the Tiges remotely during those years was certainly a patience tester. Everything about 2017 was a perfect reward for that hardship though.

Cheers
Hello Fraser.

Love your story. My wife is Scottish, but barracks for the Westcoast Eagles!!! Make life very interesting I tell you... :)

westiger

Yellow and Black Forever
Dec 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
My story starts with being born into a, at the time, all Footscray family. My Irish Immigrant Grandparents, Dad, Mum and Three Brothers, all dyed in the wool Bullies.
I was 5, when one fateful night, whilst we were all at my Grandparents house in St-Albans, their local Parish Priest was visiting with them. Not only was he a fantastic bloke, but he was also a TIGER Supporter!!!! To cut this story short, he bribed me to become a Tiger by giving me his treasured Tiger Emblem, which was a Steel Tiger with a footy in its claws. I was hooked and kept that Steel Tiger for nearly 3 decades.
My poor Mum and Dad. Being good Irish/Aussie Micks, they didn't say a word and had to watch their eldest son leave the Red, White and Blue and change over to the beloved Yellow and Black.
That was in 1963 and what glory was to come. Through all of those Premierships, my poor parents were kind of happy for me, but it still hurt to lose a supporter.
I now live in Perth. I have kept the faith, through hostile Eagle and Dockers crowds. I have even stood the door a few times at WA Tiger supporter functions, loving keeping Eagle and Dockers gatecrashers out!! ( I even mistakenly blocked our at the time Footy Manager, Trevor Poole and then Leon Camerons Parents!! )
This wonderful Football Club has been an amazing friend to me through some extremely tough times and hope to be enjoying them for a long while yet!!
Go Tiges ... Eat'em Alive!!!!

westiger

Yellow and Black Forever
Dec 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Firstly apologies if you are going to read this. The 'a' key on my keyboard is not working properly. There will be a lot of 'a's missing. I've tried to get them all.

I've just turned 49. My God where has the time gone.
My Dad barracked for Essendon and mum was Essendon too because of him but neither of them were passionate.
I remember vividly. I was 7 and for some reason I decided then and there that I would pick a club to support.
I sat in the middle of the loungeroom floor at our house on the farm in the Goulburn valley.
I also vividly remember deciding that i would choose between Carlton, Essendon and Richmond.
I'm not sure why but I chose Richmond. The year was 1977 and we had just gone through our late 60s and early 70s power years but I was oblivious to that.
I chose Richmond and have never waivered in 42 years.
I begged Dad to take me to a game. My first game was that year. He took me to Moorrabbin to see St Kilda vs Richmond. I still remember standing in the outer that day. The smell of tobacco from the pipes that were wafting over the ground, the crisp smell of the middle pages of the Footy Record.
We won that day, although my only real memory was Dad calling Mick Malthouse, Mick ****house.
Of course the stop on the way home a the Seymour burger stand was always a highlight. The days before bypasses and freeways,
a plain burger, a choc Big M and a White Knight.
By the time I was 10, Mum had been totally converted. She was now as passionate Richmond as I was.
We would spend Saturday afternoons together with the radio on. she would make casseroles and I would mark off each goal on a piece of paper while listening the game on radio.
later that night we would eat dinner as family and watch the Big League replay, much to my two sisters' annoyment.
Dad always kept barracking for the Bombers, but over the years, he developed a real soft spot for the Tigers.
he took me to many games. always Richmond.
The 1980 qualifying final, the second semi final. he never complained.
We couldn't get tickets to the 1980 GF. We watched on TV and I was over the moon. 10 years old and thinking this was the best thing ever.
In 1982 Dad again took me to both finals, but alas, we couldn't get grand final tickets. I was 12 now and the loss cut deep. I cried. Mum cried.
I was gutted, but there would be other chances yeah?
we all know the story.
The mid to late 80s were a disaster. The early 90s we nearly lost our club.
I remember giving $100 to Save Our skins, which in those days was a fair amount for a young bloke on a cadet journo's wages.
Living and working in Shepparton, I cuuld really only get to three or four games a year.
I knew the stationmaster at Shepp train station. A Melbourne fan. Great bloke. He'd go to the Dees games as well and when we were on the same train, we'd get a full first cabin on the way home and he'd buy a slab. I'd chuck him $10 and we'd sit there in our own cabin and drink, getting back to Shepp around 8.30pm.
In 1994 I decided to travel.
I spent the entire year travelling through Europe and settled in London where I lived and worked.
I missed the 1994 season, the year we went on that winning run and it looked like we were going make finals, only to lose our last two games.
I don't know what I would have done had we made.
there was no internet in 1994 and the only way I would keep up to date with the scores was through my beautiful grandfather who send me weekly newspaper clippings in the post.
The London Explorers Club also showed games on four day delay depending what video tapes were sent to them nd how long it took for them to get there.
I came back home midyear through 1995 and experience the delight of that season. The final loss against North, the win against Essendon and the flogging we received from Geelong in the prelim. Late in the lst term, the pro Richmond crowd started singing the theme song. The Geelong tried to block it out, but it was futile. Amazing.
Another five years in the wilderness, 2001 was our next finals appearance.
Between 95 and 01, I had shacked up with my now wife, had a daughter.
2001 was weird. The win against Carlton was overshadowed by the World Trade Center attacks and there was a genuine fear of what may happen next next.
I never really considered going to Brisbne for the prelim. Travelling interstate for games wasn't really a thing back then like it is now. Plus, I don't think any of us expected to win.
Most on here will be young enough to remember the abyss we found ourselves in from 2002 onwards.
A string of failed coaches and poor recruiting.
My loved never waned, but my hope of seeing a premiership had.
I had never been to a grand final before. I had the chance to but it never seemed right. I only wanted to go if we made it.
We all know the gut wrenching strong of elimination finals losses.
It seemed like we were destined to forever be a sick joke.
In 2014 I was back in London on holiday and I got a call from Dad at 2am. Mum was dead. She collapsed on the loungeroom floor. To this day the coroner still can't tell the exact cause of death.
I put a Richmond jumper on Mum's coffin and they played the theme song at the end of the service.
a year later Dad was having back pain but that was not unusual. As a farmer and truck driver, he had battled a bad back most of his adult life.
But when he saw blood in the toilet bowl, he knew it was not good.
He lasted 10 months. he refused to feel sorry for himself, but on 23 april 2016, he lost his battle.
Fast forward now to the 2017 season.
we all know what happened.
we all celebrated in our special way.
I attended the grand final.
a week after the game I drove up to Mum's grave and had a beer with her.

View attachment 656626

Even though Dad was a Bombers fan, he would have been stoked.
We scattered his ashes around his favourite game tree on the farm and I had a beer with him too.

View attachment 656628

So that's pretty much story.
I said after 30 September 2017 that whatever happens now is just a bonus.
Thanks for the fantastic Post mate. Very poignant.
Relating to my family, all Bulldog supporters, who, like myself, had all but resigned ourselves of never seeing Premiership Glory ever again!!
Move to 2016 and then 2017....our Family is still in shock. My old man, who passed away in 1998, would love to have witnessed his beloved Doggies and then our mob win Flags in succession!!
Anyhoo, thanks again for your memories...

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
I think i jumped on because my good friend at school (year 1) was a tiger. Then he changed to the dees. lol

I stuck fat. Surrounded by mates barracking for essendon and the dawks. That was the generation.

Year after year of disappointment. I dont think mates could ever understand. going to the footy with them, against their teams, id always want to leave before the game ends. They always insisted that i stayed. Today? They leave. lol

parents are not tigers, but are happy we won in 17. I gave them a weg poster (not weg but u know). im looking at mine right now. It says Premiers 2017.

miss norfy has a guernsey.

mrs norf is a tiger formerly lion.

Wooden Robot

Senior List
Feb 6, 2019
Sutton Grange
AFL Club
Richmond
Firstly apologies if you are going to read this. The 'a' key on my keyboard is not working properly. There will be a lot of 'a's missing. I've tried to get them all.

I've just turned 49. My God where has the time gone.
My Dad barracked for Essendon and mum was Essendon too because of him but neither of them were passionate.
I remember vividly. I was 7 and for some reason I decided then and there that I would pick a club to support.
I sat in the middle of the loungeroom floor at our house on the farm in the Goulburn valley.
I also vividly remember deciding that i would choose between Carlton, Essendon and Richmond.
I'm not sure why but I chose Richmond. The year was 1977 and we had just gone through our late 60s and early 70s power years but I was oblivious to that.
I chose Richmond and have never waivered in 42 years.
I begged Dad to take me to a game. My first game was that year. He took me to Moorrabbin to see St Kilda vs Richmond. I still remember standing in the outer that day. The smell of tobacco from the pipes that were wafting over the ground, the crisp smell of the middle pages of the Footy Record.
We won that day, although my only real memory was Dad calling Mick Malthouse, Mick ****house.
Of course the stop on the way home a the Seymour burger stand was always a highlight. The days before bypasses and freeways,
a plain burger, a choc Big M and a White Knight.
By the time I was 10, Mum had been totally converted. She was now as passionate Richmond as I was.
We would spend Saturday afternoons together with the radio on. she would make casseroles and I would mark off each goal on a piece of paper while listening the game on radio.
later that night we would eat dinner as family and watch the Big League replay, much to my two sisters' annoyment.
Dad always kept barracking for the Bombers, but over the years, he developed a real soft spot for the Tigers.
he took me to many games. always Richmond.
The 1980 qualifying final, the second semi final. he never complained.
We couldn't get tickets to the 1980 GF. We watched on TV and I was over the moon. 10 years old and thinking this was the best thing ever.
In 1982 Dad again took me to both finals, but alas, we couldn't get grand final tickets. I was 12 now and the loss cut deep. I cried. Mum cried.
I was gutted, but there would be other chances yeah?
we all know the story.
The mid to late 80s were a disaster. The early 90s we nearly lost our club.
I remember giving $100 to Save Our skins, which in those days was a fair amount for a young bloke on a cadet journo's wages.
Living and working in Shepparton, I cuuld really only get to three or four games a year.
I knew the stationmaster at Shepp train station. A Melbourne fan. Great bloke. He'd go to the Dees games as well and when we were on the same train, we'd get a full first cabin on the way home and he'd buy a slab. I'd chuck him $10 and we'd sit there in our own cabin and drink, getting back to Shepp around 8.30pm.
In 1994 I decided to travel.
I spent the entire year travelling through Europe and settled in London where I lived and worked.
I missed the 1994 season, the year we went on that winning run and it looked like we were going make finals, only to lose our last two games.
I don't know what I would have done had we made.
there was no internet in 1994 and the only way I would keep up to date with the scores was through my beautiful grandfather who send me weekly newspaper clippings in the post.
The London Explorers Club also showed games on four day delay depending what video tapes were sent to them nd how long it took for them to get there.
I came back home midyear through 1995 and experience the delight of that season. The final loss against North, the win against Essendon and the flogging we received from Geelong in the prelim. Late in the lst term, the pro Richmond crowd started singing the theme song. The Geelong tried to block it out, but it was futile. Amazing.
Funnily enough Steven Tingay was with us that day. He was quickly developing a reputation as a very good young player for Melbourne. Being a Shepp boy he and the rest of us blokes were good mates. He'd go in to a very very good career. He said to me as we were leaving the ground that day: "Imagine if Richmond ever actually win a flag".
Another five years in the wilderness, 2001 was our next finals appearance.
Between 95 and 01, I had shacked up with my now wife, had a daughter.
2001 was weird. The win against Carlton was overshadowed by the World Trade Center attacks and there was a genuine fear of what may happen next next.
I never really considered going to Brisbne for the prelim. Travelling interstate for games wasn't really a thing back then like it is now. Plus, I don't think any of us expected to win.
Most on here will be young enough to remember the abyss we found ourselves in from 2002 onwards.
A string of failed coaches and poor recruiting.
My loved never waned, but my hope of seeing a premiership had.
I had never been to a grand final before. I had the chance to but it never seemed right. I only wanted to go if we made it.
We all know the gut wrenching strong of elimination finals losses.
It seemed like we were destined to forever be a sick joke.
In 2014 I was back in London on holiday and I got a call from Dad at 2am. Mum was dead. She collapsed on the loungeroom floor. To this day the coroner still can't tell the exact cause of death.
I put a Richmond jumper on Mum's coffin and they played the theme song at the end of the service.
a year later Dad was having back pain but that was not unusual. As a farmer and truck driver, he had battled a bad back most of his adult life.
But when he saw blood in the toilet bowl, he knew it was not good.
He lasted 10 months. he refused to feel sorry for himself, but on 23 april 2016, he lost his battle.
Fast forward now to the 2017 season.
we all know what happened.
we all celebrated in our special way.
I attended the grand final.
a week after the game I drove up to Mum's grave and had a beer with her.

View attachment 656626

Even though Dad was a Bombers fan, he would have been stoked.
We scattered his ashes around his favourite gum tree on the farm and I had a beer with him too.

View attachment 656628

So that's pretty much story.
I said after 30 September 2017 that whatever happens now is just a bonus.

Mick ****house??
Thank God the behavioural police weren't patrolling the terraces back then, you and dad would have been in Seymour by half time ;)

Richo Richo Fan

Draftee
Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Dad came to Melbourne on a boat from Greece in the 60s, settling in Richmond. His first primary school teacher was Paddy Guinane (who was playing for the Tigers at the time.) Dad couldn't speak a word of English, and speaks so fondly of how Paddy helped him feel at home. Safe to say Paddy instantly became a larger than life hero for Dad, and we've been Tigers ever since. What I would've given to have Richo as my teacher!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frustrated Tiger

Premium Gold
Sep 17, 2009
North of the Yarra
AFL Club
Richmond
Early photos show me at Sovereign Hill Ballarat with a Saints beanie...probably because i liked Trevor Barker.
When dad passed away when I was 9 y.o mum took us all to Italy to visit the relos.
I remember walking through Florence and I told mum that I wanted to barrack for Carlton and she responded with "No, their supporters are all criminals"...I then said "what about Richmond?" She said "yep, they're ok"..... So that was the start of my rollercoaster Tiger days...Thanks mum.
My son had no choice as to who he supports....My family is both Essendon and Norf, I'm the only Tiger.
My in laws tried to get my son to follow Norf but I told them that he wants to follow a club that will be around in 10 years and not have to fly to Tassie to watch them.
Go Tigers...
Thanks for reading.

tropicaltiger

ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
Early photos show me at Sovereign Hill Ballarat with a Saints beanie...probably because i liked Trevor Barker.
When dad passed away when I was 9 y.o mum took us all to Italy to visit the relos.
I remember walking through Florence and I told mum that I wanted to barrack for Carlton and she responded with "No, their supporters are all criminals"...I then said "what about Richmond?" She said "yep, they're ok"..... So that was the start of my rollercoaster Tiger days...Thanks mum.
My son had no choice as to who he supports....My family is both Essendon and Norf, I'm the only Tiger.
My in laws tried to get my son to follow Norf but I told them that he wants to follow a club that will be around in 10 years and not have to fly to Tassie to watch them.
Go Tigers...
Thanks for reading.
haha, good old mum saved the day ay. :)

CraigB

Premium Platinum
Aug 24, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
My dad grew up and was raised in Richmond, Mum barracks for Collingwood, Brian Taylor did his plumbing apprenticeship in Prahran with Dad back in the day. So I would finish school head to the workshop and play kick to kick in the street with the then Full Forward of the Tigers, He would get us into the rooms a couple of times a year and was always around, right up until he went to Collingwood, then well I dont remember seeing him around the workshop much any more....I have two kids these days and both are Richmond FC members.

PuntRoad Celt

Team Captain
Jan 12, 2014
Gate 8, The Jungle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtic
54 year old Scotsman, born,raised and still lives Glasgow. Celtic supporter and football (round ball, hate the word soccer!!) was my game, so how did I become a Tiger?

2nd oldest sister moved to Melbourne and met and married a Tigers Man.
My 1st dealings of the Tiges where through his stories, as my 1st few visits to Melbourne where not during footy season, so a dvd about the Tigers history and a worn out vhs tape of the 80 GF had to do.
Footy was new to me as a game and in the Uk all we ever saw were clips of fights, brawls and bumps, to showcase how fkin mental a game the Aussie nutters followed.
Started to rearrange my visits to make sure I could get to see The Tiges and learn about footy during the 90s!
Took the game to my heart along with The Tiges and through all the beltings I witnessed, I got to also learn and love footy culture (please dont change it! It shouldnt be americanised!!!).

Been using BF as a lyrker and then poster for a long time, dont post much now as time difference usually means Im well behind most discussions, but thought Id chip in my Tigers story anyway.

Been an international member for years but got lucky and was able to come and work for a year in Dec 2016, so the 2017 season was gonna be memorable (little did I know how memorable).
Converted my Int membership for a seat at The G, sitting besides my brother in law and my 2 Tiger loving, membership carrying sisters, whom both now live in Melbourne.

What a year that was, culminating in that fateful Saturday of Sept 30th 💪🏻.

GF day was brilliant (I was there 😎) and loved every minute of it. The walk back from the G was amazing, Richmond was bouncing, couldnt get into a pub until Bridge St, so had some catching up to do.

As good as it was watch "All" Tiger fans celebrate, it was amazing to see the release of pressure and sheer joy in my brother in law and all the Tigers fans of an older age group who had suffered for so long, beautiful nights drinking before moving on to nearer home and a great night at The Malvern Hotel.

Couldnt bite my finger nails by the time I got in, but didnt stop more drinking and watching reruns of the GF all night.

Back in Glasgow again now, so watching The Tiges via my Int membership and AFL tv. If Im not working I still get up at stupid o clock to watch games live.

Loving all the stories, shows how diverse a group The Tiger Army is. Many cultures but one thing holds it all together. The Richmond Football Club.

Tigerbob68

Premiership Player
May 19, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
54 year old Scotsman, born,raised and still lives Glasgow. Celtic supporter and football (round ball, hate the word soccer!!) was my game, so how did I become a Tiger?

My 1st dealings of the Tiges where through his stories, as my 1st few visits to Melbourne where not during footy season, so a dvd about the Tigers history and a worn out vhs tape of the 80 GF had to do.
Footy was new to me as a game and in the Uk all we ever saw were clips of fights, brawls and bumps, to showcase how fkin mental a game the Aussie nutters followed.
Started to rearrange my visits to make sure I could get to see The Tiges and learn about footy during the 90s!
Took the game to my heart along with The Tiges and through all the beltings I witnessed, I got to also learn and love footy culture (please dont change it! It shouldnt be americanised!!!).

Been using BF as a lyrker and then poster for a long time, dont post much now as time difference usually means Im well behind most discussions, but thought Id chip in my Tigers story anyway.

Been an international member for years but got lucky and was able to come and work for a year in Dec 2016, so the 2017 season was gonna be memorable (little did I know how memorable).
Converted my Int membership for a seat at The G, sitting besides my brother in law and my 2 Tiger loving, membership carrying sisters, whom both now live in Melbourne.

GF day was brilliant (I was there 😎) and loved every minute of it. The walk back from the G was amazing, Richmond was bouncing, couldnt get into a pub until Bridge St, so had some catching up to do.

As good as it was watch "All" Tiger fans celebrate, it was amazing to see the release of pressure and sheer joy in my brother in law and all the Tigers fans of an older age group who had suffered for so long, beautiful nights drinking before moving on to nearer home and a great night at The Malvern Hotel.

Couldnt bite my finger nails by the time I got in, but didnt stop more drinking and watching reruns of the GF all night.

Back in Glasgow again now, so watching The Tiges via my Int membership and AFL tv. If Im not working I still get up at stupid o clock to watch games live.

Loving all the stories, shows how diverse a group The Tiger Army is. Many cultures but one thing holds it all together. The Richmond Football Club.
Everybody has been wondering what the hell was the good luck charm in 2017.
It was YOU!!!!!!!
That's just so amazing that you were able to be here for that. What a memory for you!!!

Bojangles17

Brownlow Medallist
May 17, 2004
Punt Rd
AFL Club
Richmond

Good onya Celt , welcome to tigerland

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Dad went to school with John Northey in Ballarat and stopped following Geelong and followed Northey to Richmond.I think Northey was from Derrinallum and Dad was from the neighbouring Lismore where they boarded at the now disgraced St.Patricks college Ballarat. Dan Butler, Dan Rioli and a heap of other AFL players went there.Umpire Shane McInerney was in my year and use to stutter badly, the teacher Jake Farley would yell at him 'spit it out Shane!' He was an okay guy but could not play sport at all, just a good runner.
So I got lucky and followed Richmond ,I cannot imagine supporting Geelong in any shape or form whatsover. I might have turned into a slightly dumber individual if that had happened.
Incidently, Emmett Dunne is my father's 2nd cousin and my sister once went on a date with Richo, Danny Daly was my sisters brother in law for a time. I was at the Mathew Knights Richmond Essendon final which was incredible.

Top Bottom