Universal Love Your Tiger story - share your story here

Remove this Banner Ad

DustyWrap

Draftee
Jan 30, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum stuff, so please be nice :) I love watching footy and appreciate the best players in the game. I grew up in South Australia and have always watched the game since I can remember. Basketball and Footy are my outlets, as well as writing and performing music. I look forward to reading and contributing to the forums. Have a nice day!

Soberian Tiger

'67 '69 '73 '74 '80; '17 '19 ? ? ?
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't remember the moment when I became a yellow and black barracker. I was but a babe in arms.

I extended that principle to my own offspring thanks to a patient wife, who came on board.

Consequently, our eldest had a hard time of it during the lean years! The youngest has been luckier.

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Father grew up in Richmond. I am a Tiger from Birth. Went to school in Abbotsford, and constantly berated for not following the BIGGEST CLUB in the VFL. Hence my pathalogical hatred for Pies. Whilst they bragged how good they were - Tiges won premierships during my school days. What a time it was, and is now. History repeats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bill Haverchuck

Senior List
Sep 30, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Mum a swan and Dad was a bomber
Originally barracked for south and have a very very faint memory of being taken to a game and sitting on the fence in the rain at the lake oval..
Can't remember why i switched but have been told it was because i like Tigers
First memory of being a tiger was going to richmond / essendon game at waverly in late 70s(79 i think)
Wasn't that interested in the game then so spent my time playing on the ramps behind the members stand..
Dad took me to 3 games in 80 , always sat behind punt goals..Always loved when we got there looking back up and seeing all the cheer squad sitting with their backs to the ground in their duffel coats..
Was at the famous 90k game easter monday game against essendon in 82..
In 85 was deemed old enough to catch the train so started going every week and joined cheer squad , always got there when gates opened so i could get
in the front row and wave a flogger lol..Despite the tough times had a lot of fun those days going to games and sitting/standing in the CS.
Remember plenty of games getting thrashed and out chanting the opposition cheer squads sitting a few bays around from us!
Use to love going to the old suburban grounds even though it meant longer travel(from mt eliza)
Even got to help with the banner a few times including the last ever game at arden st...
In about 88 i think i decided was too old to sit in cheer squad so started going by my self..From 93 went with some friends i met from uni until about 2009
when i realised they didnt like me that much so went back to sitting by myself lol...
Went to plenty of games against essendon wit dad , he had a well developed hatred of the carlton football club so came to rnd 1 games with me and enjoyed seeing us beat the filth from 2013 onwards....
umm nothing else to add pretty boring i guess!

Last edited:

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
Mum a swan and Dad was a bomber
Originally barracked for south and have a very very faint memory of being taken to a game and sitting on the fence in the rain at the lake oval..
Can't remember why i switched but have been told it was because i like Tigers
First memory of being a tiger was going to richmond / essendon game at waverly in late 70s(79 i think)
Wasn't that interested in the game then so spent my time playing on the ramps behind the members stand..
Dad took me to 3 games in 80 , always sat behind punt goals..Always loved when we got there looking back up and seeing all the cheer squad sitting with their backs to the ground in their duffel coats..
Was at the famous 90k game easter monday game against essendon in 82..
In 85 was deemed old enough to catch the train so started going every week and joined cheer squad , always got there when gates opened so i could get
in the front row and wave a flogger lol..Despite the tough times had a lot of fun those days going to games and sitting/standing in the CS.
Remember plenty of games getting thrashed and out chanting the opposition cheer squads sitting a few bays around from us!
Use to love going to the old suburban grounds even though it meant longer travel(from mt eliza)
Even got to help with the banner a few times including the last ever game at arden st...
In about 88 i think i decided was too old to sit in cheer squad so started going by my self..From 93 went with some friends i met from uni until about 2009
when i realised they didnt like me that much so went back to sitting by myself lol...
Went to plenty of games against essendon wit dad , he had a well developed hatred of the carlton football club so came to rnd 1 games with me and enjoyed seeing us beat the filth from 2013 onwards....
umm nothing else to add pretty boring i guess!
at least you stuck fat during the terrible years '84 - '08 ...full respect for that... i remember going a few times '88-'91 & it was just depressing ...for you to front up cosistently during those days i tips me hat...i too was at the 90k game v Essendon in '82. a definite highlight for me as well,Essendon was on the up & coached by our very own favourite son Sheeds,we had some great battles with them in the early 80's

Shezza18

Rookie
Nov 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Dad came from Portland in western Victoria and their team were the Tigers so when he started living in Melbourne he started following the Tigers, mum did the same when they met and us 5 kids had no choice and the 4 grandkids didn't either. Mum and dad have both passed away, dad in 98 (50 year member), mum last year (62 year member) and 4 of us 5 have reached 50 years of membership, my younger brother isn't old enough for that yet. The 4 grandkids are all members and have nearly 70 years between them, the oldest boys just turned 22. Combined for the 11 of us we've got approx 440 years.
I've also been a cheer squad member for 40 years and my teenage daughter is also an active member of the cheer squad. It's been one hell of a ride but sharing 2017 and 2019 with my daughter was awesome and I wouldn't change any of it. All the heartache was forgotten 💛🖤

rolling123

Draftee
Sep 27, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
I became a Richmond supporter in 2002 when I was 13. Got onto the club as a mate was giving everyone AFL clubs to support. The early years of supporting them were tough especially in 2004 and 2007. However success was built upon year after year, in stages to where we are now. I remember as I didnt have Foxtel I would listen to the Triple M or 3aw commentary from AFL.com.au for games that werent televised on free to air. It was great to visualise the commentary of how it would of looked on tv for those games. Loved singing the song after those games when we had a win. Fox had a free trial on Transact in 2005 i think (for all you ACT supporters which may ring a bell) and I loved watching Browny play in the early part of that year. Getting Foxtel later meant that I could watch every Tiger game all season long was great and allowed me to follow them even more. I always followed RichmondFC.com.au for the latest team news year in year out. I was overseas when we won the flag in 2017 but was lucky enough to watch the 2019 GF live at the MCG and soak it all in. Its even more rewarding when you have had to wait for the good years after so many dark years prior. Success feels even sweeter. Dimma will go down as one our best and I love watching Dusty play!. Feel for Lidda that he couldnt experience our recent success and I mentioned that to him at a pre drinks event prior to the 2019 GF. A great club with a proud history and the way the club is run it aligns with my views on life. Go Tiges forever!

Last edited:

Resigned

Debutant
Mar 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Barcelona, Corey Cadby, Bully Boy
Started following the Tigers in 2001 since I first developed an interest in football then, I picked Richmond as my team since other kids in school supported the team that their father supported. My parents are not interested in sport although when I asked my Dad which team he supported he said Richmond because he was born in the hospital. I attended my first game late in the home and away season of 2001 against West Coast at the stadium which was known by the name Colonial Stadium, I remember an up and about Tigers team defeating the cellar dweller Eagles comfortably and Richo kicking 4.4. I also recall it being Joel Bowdens 100th game as was displayed on the banner. Due to living in the country during my childhood years and living with immediate family whom were not interested in football I was only able to attend about 1 game a year usually with my grandfather whom was football mad. I only started to regularly attend games from 2016 when my MCC membership came through and since then its been pretty damn good with Richmond only losing one game at the G that I have attended since. In 2019 I was able to attend the grand final since they let in restricted members in due to there being enough space in the walkup seating in the members reserve. I knew since GWS were in the grand final that I would have a chance to buy a ticket but I had no idea that I was even going to be able to go until the morning of the grand final when the MCC made the announcement to their Facebook page. Even then I had to be only of the quickest to buy tickets at 11am, once I got into the G there was standing room only so I had an obscured view of the game however I didn't care it was still amazing.

RichLeMonde

Team Captain
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
I was born in 1980 and remember following footy from about 1985.

My dad was nominally a Saints supporter. My mum's siblings and her mum were all Collingwood. My grandfather was mad Richmond. These grandparents, and my mum in her first few years of life, had lived in Abbotsford, near the CUB brewery, and had a strong tribal connection to the suburbs of Collingwood and Richmond. I only learnt later in life that my mum had influenced me to pick Richmond, so that her dad had an ally in the family!

I grew up in Mont Albert in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, and there was a lot of very socioeconomically privileged kids. Every kid at my primary school barrracked for Melbourne, Hawthorn, or Essendon. I was the only Richmond supporter in my year level. We finished in the bottom 4 or 5 every year of my primary schooling, including a couple of wooden spoons. My parents identified with the Irish-Catholic working class culture from which they came, even though they had ended up living in Mont Albert. Me being the only Richmond supporter at my school, and Richmond being terrible and the other kids being utterly contemptuous of them, was a bit of a reminder that I was different from the other kids in the school, most of whom went on to elite private schools.

I was so mortified in one of the wooden spoon years that I asked my mum to buy me a pair of Essendon socks to wear to 'Footy Clinic' (now Auskick) on a Saturday morning. She duly bought them, but I couldn't bring myself to wear them, and instead wore my Richmond socks but pushed them down so that all you could see was the black!

Another time, at an extended family gathering when I was about 10, there was a newspaper with a cardboard VFL ladder and moveable teams. I announced I couldn't barrack for Richmond anymore, and put all the teams that other family members baracked for - the Saints, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon, as well as Richmond - into a hat, and decided I'd pull one out, and they would be my new team. I kept pulling out teams other than Richmond, but I basically rigged it so that when Richmond finally came out of the hat I decided that was the 'real' pick, and so Richmond would remain my team. Again, I couldn't bring myself to abandon the Tigers, no matter how heartbreaking it was to follow them!

I still remember 1995, and how novel and exciting it was for Richmond to be half decent. I remember going to the Richmond-Carlton final in 2001, and being so proud of the boys. I remember going to losing finals against Carlton, and North, in the mid 2010s, when we were favourites. I was so, so, so, disappointed. I felt like the club was cursed.

I got my first professional job, as a physio, in 2003, in Mill Park in the outer northern suburbs. It seemed like every second one of my patients was a Richmond supporter, the first time in my life I'd been surrounded by other Tigers. I realised how much footy in Melbourne gives you a lesson in the socioeconomic, demographic, and cultural history of the city, including migrations from inner to outer suburbs.

I moved to Sydney in 2015. I had watched the GF with the same bunch of mates every year since we were 13, and the GF had been my favourite event of the year. 2017 was the first year I wouldn't watch it with them. Months earlier, my wife had organised a 3 day hiking trip for that weekend in the Blue Mountains. When Richmond made the GF I cancelled the trip. I ended up watching the game with my wife in a pub in the Blue Mountains, as the only real AFL fans there. I'm not an extrovert at all, but when we won I jumped up and belted out the song to the whole pub, who were a bit stunned, but gave me a cheer lol. In 2019, I forked out a shitload of money for a corporate GF ticket after we won the prelim, as it was the only way I could get to the game. There was one other Richmond supporter in the corporate bay, and we were both going crazy from start to finish, amongst all the suits. Afterwards I went to Swan St and just talked with random people about the Tiges all night. Being there with the other supporters was almost as good as the game.

Top Bottom