Universal Love Your Tiger story - share your story here

After seeing a few posts in another thread and on the back of a segment we do with new guests on the podcast:

I want to know your Tiger story.

- how did you become Richmond supporter?

- are you from a mixed team family?

- if you have kids who do they support and how did that come about

And anything else related to the how and why you're a tiger.

I'm sure there are some great stories out there.

My story:

My mums side are all mad Richmond, they grew up there and back then it was zoned.

I never really had a choice, it was always going to be Richmond because of that but I wouldn't have it any other way.

The moment i was born they took off a Richmond jumper from a teddy bear and put it on me.

My dad has never really been big into footy, he follows it and has gotten into it more in recent years but he followed essendon for a little while cause he loved Sheedy.

But now he is a tiger.

My 7 month old son was a interesting battle. Wife is a hawk and just as passionate as me.

We decided to make a bet before we were even pregnant that whichever team had won the most recent head to head encounter prior to him being born would be who he follows.

Thankfully we beat hawthorn in round 3 last year!

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
I didn't grow up with AFL or in Victoria. One of my Dad's friends had a brother who lived down in Melbourne and is an absolute obsessed Richmond fan. There were stories of him calling up the club after losses while pissed and running the entire answering machine out raging about the losses and various other high quality melt stories.

I started catching some tigs games around 2003 just because I thought those stories were hilarious and because we were shite and I figured it was only up from there. No one else in the family really watches footy

TJASTA

❄︎□︎⌧︎♓︎♍︎ 👌︎◆︎●︎●︎⍓︎
Sep 3, 2016
Jack Graham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Furies
I have been a Richmond memeber since the day I was born. I say that my family is "mixed team" is a bit of a understatment. I come from a very large family (My grandfathers are one of fifteen and one of eighteen respectively) and they all barrack for different teams. My mother is a Essendon supporter, however all of her brothers are Richmond and thus they sign me up before mum could get to me.
For what I understand, the reason why they barrack for Richmond was become we were in the former country zone that product some stars (Jim Jess and Mervyn Keane).

Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies
I've grown up in a mixed family, where everyone supports a different team. My Dad is really the only one who truly follows football, and is South Australian.

When I was little, I had a Collingwood guernsey in my drawer, but I never wore it or remember having any support or feelings towards them. It was just there. I assume because of the Port Adelaide Magpies.

So, didn't really have a team, but I think when I was around 4-5, I saw a commerical on TV with a real life tiger jumping up at a football. It was a Richmond commerical, I think to do with save our skins or a promotion of the year. From that point, it just stuck. Again, very young, but it just naturally stuck.

I'm sure I can vouch for a lot of people around my age (30) who went to school and had to deal with how terrible Richmond were. Basically my entire primary school and secondary school experience was like that. And I absolutely adored Richmond.

The first game I went to was at Waverley Park against Hawthorn. I cried because I didn't like how loud the football was, and I wanted to go home. I don't know what year that was, but I remember we lost. It was also wet.

Even kicking the footy in the backyard and commentating, Richmond always won. But I had a soft spot for the Bears and the Crows when things weren't going well at stages (with Richmond).

I remember 1995 quite well, because of A Tiger Tale but also because I remember listening to a lot of the footy on the radio that year. For my first few years of supporting Richmond, if they weren't on TV, I generally listened to it on the radio. The radio experience can be so exciting because of how you vision the ball to be on the field. I also didn't have any family members going for Richmond too, and my Dad at this point supported the Crows.

I began to go to a lot of the footy matches with my dad to see Richmond play. My Dad now a Port supporter since they joined the comp. Remember going to my first final against Carlton in the semi in 2001 which was really exciting. Sat in the top level of the old Ponsfold stand.

Very close to nothing has drawn out more emotion when they made the 2013 finals and played Carlton. The atmosphere when they ran out, the train trip, the build up was so overwhelming. To have had to wait such a long time for that... it was disappointing that they lost, but the experience was like nothing else.

I was lucky enough to then go to 2014, 2015 and then all the finals in 2017 because I didn't want to miss a final. It was also amazing to go to Adelaide to see Port v Richmond from a Dad and son point of view. We both at the time felt very lucky to be able to see them play each other in a final, which might have never happened in our lifetimes.

2017 was like climbing Everest as a supporter too. We deserved that reward so much.

Family migrated when I was 3 years of age. Parents hated sport, just thought it was a total waste of time. I'm not sure exactly what started my Tiger passion but it has pretty much ruled my life. Lucky for me, like a lot of migrant families, both parents worked Saturdays and I made some pocket money doing some gardening work for a neighbour Sat mornings and I spent pretty much all the money jumping on a train on my own and going to see the Tigers at the G as often as I could. Throw in the odd hot dog. My parents worked a pretty long day on Saturdays and we didn't own a car so they had to get home by public transport which was good for me because it gave me a bit more time to get home before they did. I started doing this from about the age of 11 or 12 but the crazy part was that the only time I felt unsafe was when my dad got home before I did.

Last edited:
Great to read some stories about the Tiger connections.

I grew up in country NSW, in a town that was probably equal parts Aussie Rules, Rugby League and Rugby Union.

My Old Man was one of eight kids in an Aussie Rules family. Grandma was devoted Essendon. Pop saw the world in Black and White, but he was always scathing about his own team. He’d always say “ya wouldn’t feed ‘em if they were dogs!”. My Old Man was also Collingwood, like a few of my aunts and uncles, but there was also a smattering of the other VFL teams represented.

Mum didn’t have any passion for it, having grown up in a league family, but said she followed North for the sake of having a team. I reckon she just liked watching the Krakouer brothers play.

But my favourite uncle followed Richmond, and the local team were Tigers, so that was me. I grew up playing juniors in the Yellow and Black (#22, Barry Rowlings), singing Tigerland on the rare occasions we won.

I remember watching the 1982 Grand Final all the way through – enter my lifelong villain.

We used to go to games in Sydney a bit, when I was a kid, and I even got to play the junior game at half time on the SCG once. I’m still a bit sentimental about the SCG and the Swans.

I also once got to run the water at a Bears game played in Canberra and saw Roger Merrett take a leak in the quarter time huddle. Not sentimental.

My first live game as an adult was 1994. Classic Ninthmond year. We were in the top 8 for periods, out for periods, and then just stopped winning at the end of the season. I had my hopes up and thought we were in with a chance, if we could just win one more and sneak into the finals. I hitchhiked down to Melbourne. We played Geelong at Princes Park (dunno why there...) We got pumped. Puuummmppped. Billy Brownless kicked 8 or something. Not the last flogging I saw us get from Geelong, and probably leaves me still slightly in awe of them. Don’t need to say how cathartic the 2017 QF was for me.

Apr 12, 2015
Nathalia Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
When I came to Australia and started school I didn't even know what vfl back was then. I grew up in South Melbourne area so followed South Melbourne Hellas been greek and all. I used to wear the colors at school and got picked on and without knowing English I didn't know what they were on about. Then one day a greek fellow student explained cause we are now living in a different country, we must try and blend in with the culture and footy was one of them.
So i said which team is Yellow and black as they were the colors of the greek team I barracked back home. He replied Richmond so that was my start at barracking for them. The family went different ways as Dad became a mad Fitzroy supporter god bless him and DH brother became mad pies fan.

Lol, I see 9th-mond now auto-corrects to Premiershipmond. When did we become N o r f?
this change didn't come as a request via us, it was just meant to be a short term joke from admin I think, but once they saw how salty oppo posters got when it kept changing admin just left it there for laughs.

Meli

#gotiges
Aug 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I come from a mixed team Family, Dad is Saints, Mum is Tigers. I remember a conversation I had with mum and dad when I was about 4 or 5, and dad was asking what team I go for, so I asked him what team he went for, and because he said saints, I also said saints, then I asked mum and she said Tigers, so I said Tigers....but my dad was very controlling and wouldn't accept that, so I like to think that I grew up 'thinking' that I was a saints supporter :flushed: (please don't judge me, my dad was very controlling and scary and I was only little).

In my teens, when I actually started following football, I went to a Richmond/Saints game (my second football game and first Richmond game***) with my dad, siblings and some extended family members (who were all Saints fans). I will never forget it....it was at Waverly Park, it was cold, rainy and the crowd was pretty small. I remember being really disappointed with the St Kilda fans....THEY WERE DEAD! The Richmond supporters on the other hand, were loud, passionate, they backed their team, and I found myself really connecting with them so much so that by the end of the game I was secretly cheering the Tigers along with them. I can't explain it....I just felt like I belonged! And so from that day on 'I CHOSE' to follow Richmond and have never looked back! It took me a while to admit it to my family....but I got there!

So now my family is split down the middle, my dad, brother and sister are all saints and my mum, other sister and I are all Richmond!

I'd also like to say, my grandfather on my mothers side was a mad Richmond supporter.... Pa passed away in 2009 (after a long time fight with cancer), but in 2008 my cousin contacted the RFC and they took him through the facilities at PRO, and he got to meet the team including Richo, his all time favourite player! It meant so much to him and it's something I will always be grateful for!

***My first football game was a StKilda game in '87, in fact it was the game that Tony Lockett kicked his first 100 goals in a season so it was actually a fairly special experience for me at the time....(I was only little and couldn't understand why my mum wouldn't let me jump the fence along with everyone else! :tearsofjoy:)

Last edited:
My story is fascinating because it's connected to this BigFooty board pretty heavily. I'm sure a fair few remember (and I talked about it on the podcast last year), but there might be some unfamiliar with it. Anyway, that pinned thread in the Corner Hotel about Darth_Tiger and his kid, well I'm the kid.

I grew up in Adelaide, with dad being a Richmond fan my whole life. I wasn't hugely into footy, never played it as a kid or anything but would occasionally watch games. I'd always tell people at school that my favourite team was Richmond, my second favourite team was Brisbane, and my third favourite team was Adelaide (no doubt out of peer pressure). My first real footy memory must have been 2008 when we played Port and won by 4 points. Dad was so excited that he jumped up and accidentally knocked me in the head and didn't even notice until his mate pointed out that I was crying. Think I lost one of his scarves at AAMI Stadium one time too. We'd usually go to games if the Tigers were playing in Adelaide.

In 2009, when I was 11 years old, I was diagnosed with cancer. While I was in hospital, dad and I would watch the Tigers play if a game was on. Of course, being 2009, we sucked, a lot. One of my fondest memories of the hospital though was watching us play West Coast on a tiny television in front of the bed. This board raised about $2000 for my family to fly over and see a couple of games and have a holiday while I was between rounds of treatment. There was even talk of me getting to toss the coin one game. We saw the team get absolutely thumped by Collingwood and Sydney, and a few people on here joked that I might not be a Richmond supporter anymore! We got to go into the rooms and attend a closed training session, where I met Richo and a few other players. Got a bunch of stuff signed and received a personally signed guernsey by Cotch a while later. Wore that for years, until I bought a premiership jumper last year. I'll never forget the generosity shown.

After that I was into footy a bit more, but my love of Richmond really stepped up when we moved to Melbourne in 2013 and we could go to games regularly. Dad and I got memberships, along with one of my younger brothers. Absolutely fell in love with the team at that point. We went to the '13 EF against Carlton, sitting at the very top of the Punt Rd End. Could hardly see a thing, especially since I hadn't realised that I needed glasses yet (I'm slightly shortsighted). Had my heart ripped out in that game, and again in 2015 when we attended that final as well. Dad had the foresight to get MRC for us after the Hawks game in 2017, so I was lucky enough to attend all three 2017 finals. I'm just glad that I got to experience a little bit of a build-up to the flag through heartbreak, even if it wasn't 37 years worth of it.

Last edited:

Tigerbob68

????????????
May 19, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
So, didn't really have a team, but I think when I was around 4-5, I saw a commerical on TV with a real life tiger jumping up at a football. It was a Richmond commerical, I think to do with save our skins or a promotion of the year. From that point, it just stuck. Again, very young, but it just naturally stuck.
This one??????

1994, fits in with your age.

Oct 6, 2004
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
United, KV Mechelen
My parents & I migrated from Scotland when I was about 18 months old in 1969 so we had no family history of following Aussie Rules. My parents hated Aussie Rules when they first saw it on tv & I was almost forbidden to watch it apparently. When I went to primary school I told them I had to be allowed to watch it or I'd be an outcast. Thankfully they relented.

I think I chose Richmond because we were top dogs at the time (I'm an original bandwagoner 😊) & I loved the tiger as an animal.

Went to my first Richmond match on Anzac Day in 1977 against Collingwood & became a member in 1982 & have been ever since, although i moved to the UK and Europe for about 11 years from 2001 (right after the Essendon final) & following the Tiges remotely during those years was certainly a patience tester. Everything about 2017 was a perfect reward for that hardship though.

Cheers

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
Family was living in Port Lincoln and I was in grade 3 and a new footy team had just started “ Boston Tigers” Very short on players so I got to play for them in the u12 I think.
The old man who was a mad mad Carlton supporter put me onto Richmond ( best thing he ever did).
Mum jumped on board because she hated the old man and Carlton plus Royce Hart had come over to play with Glenelg.
Next year we moved to Mt Gambier in 73 which is pretty well a Victorian town when it comes to footy .. 73,74 so of course I was hooked.

Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
- refugee, boat people, REAL life pirates ransacked boat 4 times, physically kicked by a pirate, I was just a little runt then. (The horror,
let's not talk about it, and I really feel for fellow refugees who experienced the horrors of war and other atrocities, you have my utmost
respect even tho i don't know you from a bar of soap).

- attended Snorebans High, my schoolmates who now that i think back would fit the stereotypical thugs/hooligans you see at the footy
gang bashing other ppl. Oh well, don't think any 'normal' ppl would want to befriend a bloody refugee back then. So they started to teach me
the players names...like Rowlings, General Lee, Rioli, Wiley....Don't think they were being friendly, more like i was their 'guinea pig'. My earliest AFL mem was reading about the Tiges GF loss 1982, in the paper. Off to a good start there.

- so let's think about this, refugee escaped to go to a new country to start a 35 year torture by following Richmond.....where the faark was Dutton ?
i should have been deported ASAP.

(was there when Ablett kicked a lazy 14 against us, will never forget Phil Egan's speccy tho)

- after the 2017 Premiership, I'm now at peace...with one (not live) in my lifetime. When you've survived as a refugee, just be thankful,
you don't make outlandish demands.

- my schoolmates, never kept in touch with any of them, it would not surprise me one bit if they've all OD in some dark alley or being locked up
somewhere...but i just hope you've all turned out to be reasonably decent human beings...thanks for the 35 yr torture campaigners.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
We came to Australia in 1966 being a Greek kid living in Box Hill was pretty tough I started going to the footy in 67 to a few games more in 68: Billy Barrot was my hero saw the grand final in 69, 72,73 74 and 80, 82 from 73 used to sit in the old northern stand bottom tier directly behind KBs mum, dad and sister, as I got older old Arthur who sat next to me used to take me to the away games as well, then when I started to drive took him, from 79 till 85 we missed only one game as I was travelling interstate to play in a soccer tournament, it was 1980 we were playing south and lost just before the finals , sticks in the memory as on the bus ride back my mate Paul and I were listening to it on the radio and all we could say they will come back, they will come back.

In 82 Helen started two rows in front of us nice arse and she was a contortionist at the crazy horse in Adelaide , was there with Arthur, and my little sister, pretty quiet drive home, I have seen us play everywhere apart from punt road and the junction oval.

In 85 I went to New Guinea but still retained and paid for my membership, came home and watched them a few times, in 87 I came down , we were playing Footscray and I arrived just before the game, sat down in my seat, this was before reserved seating , the people around you kept your seat, and Mrs B turned around and said you been away a couple of weeks, it was two years at that stage.

My sisters both are tigers, one nephew, the other one supports the scum ,I don’t know how that happened, my son and his two boys are all tigers, my ex was a swans but when she met me switched, my daughter who hates footy is a tiger, my mum is a tiger, dad followed the dorks.

My current lady has a soft spot for us, in 2013. I was in Australia and whilst watching the game against free , I burst into tears , she being a Queensland lass said what’s wrong with you, I said I never believed we would play finals again, and to top it all in 2017, I came down for the cats game, and cried,

I have met some great people on BF, and it’s great to be part of such a great family, my only regret is never meeting Shaza/Groupie or whatever name he goes under, but to the people I have met a toast to all

Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
We came to Australia in 1966 being a Greek kid living in Box Hill was pretty tough I started going to the footy in 67 to a few games more in 68: Billy Barrot was my hero saw the grand final in 69, 72,73 74 and 80, 82 from 73 used to sit in the old northern stand bottom tier directly behind KBs mum, dad and sister, as I got older old Arthur who sat next to me used to take me to the away games as well, then when I started to drive took him, from 79 till 85 we missed only one game as I was travelling interstate to play in a soccer tournament, it was 1980 we were playing south and lost just before the finals , sticks in the memory as on the bus ride back my mate Paul and I were listening to it on the radio and all we could say they will come back, they will come back.

In 82 Helen started two rows in front of us nice arse and she was a contortionist at the crazy horse in Adelaide , was there with Arthur, and my little sister, pretty quiet drive home, I have seen us play everywhere apart from punt road and the junction oval.

In 85 I went to New Guinea but still retained and paid for my membership, came home and watched them a few times, in 87 I came down , we were playing Footscray and I arrived just before the game, sat down in my seat, this was before reserved seating , the people around you kept your seat, and Mrs B turned around and said you been away a couple of weeks, it was two years at that stage.

My sisters both are tigers, one nephew, the other one supports the scum ,I don’t know how that happened, my son and his two boys are all tigers, my ex was a swans but when she met me switched, my daughter who hates footy is a tiger, my mum is a tiger, dad followed the dorks.

My current lady has a soft spot for us, in 2013. I was in Australia and whilst watching the game against free , I burst into tears , she being a Queensland lass said what’s wrong with you, I said I never believed we would play finals again, and to top it all in 2017, I came down for the cats game, and cried,

I have met some great people on BF, and it’s great to be part of such a great family, my only regret is never meeting Shaza/Groupie or whatever name he goes under, but to the people I have met a toast to all
Shazza/groupie is a bot.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
- refugee, boat people, REAL life pirates ransacked boat 4 times, physically kicked by a pirate, I was just a little runt then. (The horror,
let's not talk about it, and I really feel for fellow refugees who experienced the horrors of war and other atrocities, you have my utmost
respect even tho i don't know you from a bar of soap).

- attended Snorebans High, my schoolmates who now that i think back would fit the stereotypical thugs/hooligans you see at the footy
gang bashing other ppl. Oh well, don't think any 'normal' ppl would want to befriend a bloody refugee back then. So they started to teach me
the players names...like Rowlings, General Lee, Rioli, Wiley....Don't think they were being friendly, more like i was their 'guinea pig'. My earliest AFL mem was reading about the Tiges GF loss 1982, in the paper. Off to a good start there.

- so let's think about this, refugee escaped to go to a new country to start a 35 year torture by following Richmond.....where the faark was Dutton ?
i should have been deported ASAP.

(was there when Ablett kicked a lazy 14 against us, will never forget Phil Egan's speccy tho)

- after the 2017 Premiership, I'm now at peace...with one (not live) in my lifetime. When you've survived as a refugee, just be thankful,
you don't make outlandish demands.

- my schoolmates, never kept in touch with any of them, it would not surprise me one bit if they've all OD in some dark alley or being locked up
somewhere...but i just hope you've all turned out to be reasonably decent human beings...thanks for the 35 yr torture campaigners.
Congratulations, you got past the 35y initiation , you re now one of us

Jun 26, 2007
Newcastle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avalanche, Nuggets
Started in 1984 I think, pretty sure I was in Grade 2. I remember asking a mate who he followed and when he said Tigers, I said me too. I told dad when I got home I barracked for a new team, when he asked who, I couldn't remember until he said Tigers. Dad is a Geelong supporter, but he said Gran will be happy, she barracks for them too.

Going through VCE, I'd hang around with the same guy who put me onto the Tigers and 2 other guys. The 4 of us were talking footy one day in 93 or 94 and it worked out we were all Tigers supporters. It was decided Stuart Maxfield was the best player at Richmond and we all bought Jumpers and had 27 on the back.

1995 my mates were at uni and I was working in east gippsland so it was driving the 3 hours to Melbourne for trade school and to see my mates and go to the footy with them, what a great year!!! Unfortunately I didn't make it to the finals until the Geelong game, my mate ran into teh back of me on the way to the footy and I took my Geelong supporter brother. I'll never forget the feeling of singing our song in the last quarter as we were getting pumped though, it was magical, and to hear Nick Daffy say the next day on the Sunday Footy Show the players heard it and got chills from it made it even more special.

1999 I joined the Navy and footy became too hard to follow, but i would always catch a game or score when I could. Watching the 2001 Grand Final overseas with my shipmates was a highlight, even though Richmond had been knocked out, the team who beat us went on to win the flag, so it made it ok.

Footy was always there, but never serious until about 2012 when I came back to Australia after having lived in the USA for a few years and Fox Footy took over my footy season and I would immerse myself into all the games and news. Having only playing half a year as a Junior and the same when I was about 20, my understanding of the game grew incredibly and I began to fall in love with footy again.

The one constant through this time, until 2014, was my Gran. She was a Richardson growing up, and loved Richo so much her fridge was covered in news paper clippings of him. She would always send me clippings from the newspaper, and phone calls to her were talking about the Tigers and how next year will be our year. I always thought how lucky she was to have grown up watching Jack Dyer at Punt rd, but these last few years make me glad I got to experience 17.

I've got 3 kids, little man was torn between the Swans (mum) and Tigers, but said last year he would support whoever finished higher. He tidied up his cupboard last month and proudly hung his Richmond jumpers on his wall, it put a tear in my eye. My 2 daughters I'm not sure of, the oldest was keen on the Tigers, but going to high school in NSW, the peer pressure of NRL is winning. the youngest is a Swan, but says Tigers are her 2nd team. Fingers crossed she comes around lol

roacheee

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Aug 25, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
the year is 1967 and a pasty pale blue scottish lad gets off the boat in adelaide. After a few shithouse months there he decides to give melbourne a go. he then hustles about a months pay out of the loudmouth dutch bloke (is there any other kind?) down the hall playing snooker and promptly boards the train east. he gets a job in early '68 at unilever in sth melbourne where his workmates tell him all about the footy and say he has to go to rd1 with them.

he thinks they're talking about soccer and is a little surprised when he gets to vic park to see a weird foreign game.
his workmates are all pies fans and don't tell him about the other team.

the other team however are the reigning premiers and are, in dad's words, magnificent. bourke, hart, bartlett, sheedy were just too good and went on to win. whether twas the tiges or the dozen cans we'll never know but the workmates were told where they could shove their magpies, he was a tiger for life.

thanks dad

that 1 time we beat the cats at cardinia in the 80's i was there
95 v norf i was there
blooz scoreboard fire game i was there
51 pt comeback vs hawks i was there
30 pt comeback vs lions i was there
rd23 2014 vs swans i was there
smashing pies in 2015 by 90 i was there
2017 qf n prelim...dad and i were there

thanks dad

When I was born my grandfather tried to get me to be a Collingwood supporter. My Father supported Richmond as a child because he liked the colours.

After some arguments in the family, I was lead to support the mighty Tigers. As a child growing up it sucked arse because we always lost. I would go to the footy regularly but it wasn't much fun.

Circa 2008 I got excited at the thought that we may draft Ben Cousins. I said to my friends if we get Cousins I will buy a membership. We ended up getting Cousins and the next day I went into Punt Rd to buy 2 memberships.

Been a member ever since and loved every minute of it. Been there when we were s**t, and still here. 2017 GF made it all worth it.

My Son has been a member since the day he was born. I have another bub on the way in 4 weeks time. They'll also be a member on the day they're born.

Back