Universal Love Your Tiger story - share your story here

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
I grew up in Box Hill as well, in Blackburn south now. If you are on facebook there is a "I grew up in Box Hill" page you might like it

I’m in the box hill living in the 70s and Box hill primary school groups

Jun 27, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
All my family are tigers so really didn’t have a say. Went with them every week without fail win lose or draw. Remember a time my dad took me out to Footscray one day for a game then a topless bar after. Never in my dreams did I believe I would see Richmond win a premiership. In saying that our Premiership was the last game I could watch before my dad passed away shortly later. So really thrilled I had that chance at least once.

Can't remember why I went tigers. Dad was a very soft Cats fan. Brother and I grew up with the Hafey Tigers. So my first memories of footy was watching Royce Hart on one leg making an idiot of 2 or 3 opposition backs.

Just got sucked into the greatest team of the time I guess. Then transition to the early 80's, awesome squad that could have dominated. It took me a few years to realise how appalling we were as the game professionalized and the draft came in. Somehow the pain just made it harder to leave the club. As my heart was broken and it healed over into a scarred lump of flesh I became more of a genuine fan. 2017 was an amazing feeling. I'm just so proud of the club now. I reckon the best club in the land for ethics and genuinely caring.

I was born into it...Nan was a volunteer at the club and I used to go every week with her and Pa. Sat in the same seats at G every week (before reserved seating).

I remember Saturdays being dropped off at Nan's and driving to the G via the TAB to put Pa's bets on. We would arrive just before the gates opened at 11am. The bell would sound and the gates would open and we would go and get our seats. Nan sat with the same group she always had in the Olympic stand for 30 years.

We copped some smashings in the 80s but when we won, I was able to get into the rooms after the game...we would then rush to the car so we could hear ABC radio on how good the Tigers had been... Fantatic memories!!

My wife is a Carlton supporter and my daughter a bomber (I live on Essendon so she wants to fit in at school). She 14 now but still comes to Tigers games with me.

Love the club, always will and will always remember the 80s and Nan introducing me to this amazing club... Oh and I got a seat in 2017, cried and wasn't even ashamed

Meli

#gotiges
Aug 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Not really a story of how i became a supporter but a good tiger story nevertheless so thought id share.

Think it was around 2010 we hadn’t one a game that year my old man decided to take me on my first road trip as a kid to adelaide.

Think we went across on the friday and were looking for a place to eat in shitty hindley street that night. We were walking down the street and eventually bumped into some of the tiger boys getting a feed on a table outside.

My dad immediately stopped and said boys we’ve come across to watch you tomorrow. And anyway jack said to us well we better have a win for you.

We rock up the next day to football park and it poured down rain. My dad somehow managed to pick seats right near the port members seating. Both of us are very vocal at the footy and as you can imagine it didnt sit well with those ferals.

As the day went on somehow the luckless tigers went on to win that slog of a game. Im pretty sure it was hardwicks first win as coach.

As the siren went we ran down to the fence and were the only tigers fans really in the area. Jack spotted us and ran over giving me a signed ball and when he got closer he remembered we were the fans from last night.

Giving us a hug he said ‘i told you we’d have a win’

Something small but a great memory for me personally!
Awesome!

I grew up in Blackie south,
Dad was Carlton and I remember being about 5-6 and Dad came home with three beanies.
Carlton, Collingwood and St kilda for my brother, my sister and I to choose a team, non of us chose any of em but I think I was leaning to Collingwood cause my mate from across the road him and his whole family were pies but I just wasn’t into it.
I’m not certain it’s a one way street picking your club I think somehow it feels a little bit, the club picked you.
I remember a few things from primary school, my prep teacher Mrs Marshory and her enormous boobs (Dolly Parton enormous) kids walking around the playground looking at the red sky from the Ash Wednesday fires.
But my strongest memory and it still gives me tingles, is the day I became a Tigers supporter and that was the day Mark Lee and Dale Weightman came to my school and held a footy clinic.
They were mobbed and followed everybody shut up and listened and tried they’re best.
I don’t remember if it was a drill or it was the end of the clinic and they where trying to get packed up and away but I gave Dale Weightman a ball back and he looks me right in the face and said “Well done buddy you did pretty good” or words to that effect.
I still feel bloody good about myself now thinking about it.
I don’t remember anything else about that day but I’ve barracked for Richmond every day of my life since and I always will.

It turned out years later I ended up going into Punt Rd to repair and do a bit of work to the timber floor in the Maurice Rioli room it was the start of the season and Vlaustins first and I happened to see Flea, I fronted him up and told him that story and the impression he made on me and shook his hand, I was really glad I got to do that.
He didn’t remember the school or me but I didn’t care it was good of him to give me some time...again.

Tonymontana344

M.Rioli(legend)
Jul 19, 2018
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Love this thread,
Live in Sydney now, however in the early 80s from the age of 6-7yrs old grew up in a pub in Brunswick my dad and uncle's owned. Older cousin became a Richmond supporter through his mate Andrew who's father owned the fruit shop next door. Three of us, my brother and cousin became life long Richmond supporters during that period influenced by our older cousin.

Since then we have lived all over the world, and the one thing that keeps us in contact and together is the Richmond football club.

Over the years my father would see my frustrations and kept questioning why I would follow and stress over this team. I asked the same question many times, but my love and passion for the club was amazing. During the mid 80s my dad would take us to the G or Vfl park and we'll be up at 3 quarter time, I would ask to leave because I'll be afraid to see us lose.

Dad passed away from cancer during the 2016 Finals series, I feel like he spiritually influenced our premiership the following year.

Four of us met up at the Preliminary Final v GWS, our older cousin flew in from Dubai for 3 days to watch the game. Was a great night.

The joy we receive after a win, and the distress after a loss, Richmond is a hell of a lot more than just a footy club and I thank you for being the one constant all these years!

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Although these stories are many and varied, the one thread that runs through them all is the absolute passion that we all have... and no other supporter base in the AFL comes remotely close to it.

My story started in July 1967 when we arrived in Melbourne from Liverpool, I was a 10yr old "Scouse Git"
In August Dad's new workmate took us to the MCG to see Richmond v St Kilda, I actually liked the idea of The Saints, reigning champions. red in the colours and Ian St John, The Saint, was my favourite Liverpool player at the time.
Needless to say, the Tigers got up by four or five goals, KB and Paddy Giuinane kicked four each and we were surrounded by Tiger supporters, I got swept away and have been a fanatical Tiger ever since.
Was a brilliant choice up to 1980!!
All through the dark days the passion never went away.

Tassie27

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Grade 5, 1976. Many at my primary school barracked for the tigers. I had another student who sat behind me in class who often brought her Richmond scarf to school. I recall her "combing" the fringe with her hands. Let's just say I joined my group of friends who all barracked for Richmond. The first game that I attended was Kevin Sheedy's last game. All I recall is that Melbourne won.

Tassie27

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
That Telstra ad really annoys me. If that were my kid running off with Grandpa Simpson to cheer on the Swans, I’d never let her back in the house.

2007. My ex barracks for Geelong and are on top of the ladder and of course this was a year we finished bottom. My middle cherub son announces that he will now barrack for Geelong. I just said, " not if you ever want to eat again you won't." As he was living with me I think he thought better of it.

Drofder

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2014
37.8265° S, 145.0069° E
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Niners
2007. My ex barracks for Geelong and are on top of the ladder and of course this was a year we finished bottom. My middle cherub son announces that he will now barrack for Geelong. I just said, " not if you ever want to eat again you won't." As he was living with me I think he thought better of it.

See, good parenting. Australia thanks you for this. He will too. :thumbsu:

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Have told mine before but don’t mind me again for the benefit of the newbs.
‘Twas 1974 , had just started school living in Forest Hill and dad booked me into east Burwood footy clinic Saturday mornings. Must have been only kid in school shorts and jumper so when my birthday rolled around I declared I wanted a footy jumper. I only new two teams Richmond and Norf. One of my bros was a Tiger and the rest of the street was , incl the neighbour with y&b Monaro so the choice was a simple one. I got me my first jumper , I want no 21 Neil Balme , not that thug my conservative old man declared so Barry Richardson #17 it was.
The tigers were prolific in numbers through my primary school years and I gotta say I took winning for granted until 1983 when the wheels fell off , that’s when I bought my my first membership at 14 and haven’t missed since .

Lots of my good mates are tigers and I’ve met many more good folk too in the social media age Have endured the bad times and enjoyed the good times. Am rapt that the club is finally thriving and rewarding the most loyal band of fans in the world. Until the triumphant 2017 final series my fav highlight was the 10game winning streak to make finals in 2014 , was an amazing run . Every one of the 2017 finals was mesmerising in its own way , so happy I didn’t miss a minute
Wouldn’t change a thing , an honour to be just 1 of 100,000

Back