Universal Love Your Tiger story - share your story here

Remove this Banner Ad

Early photos show me at Sovereign Hill Ballarat with a Saints beanie...probably because i liked Trevor Barker.
When dad passed away when I was 9 y.o mum took us all to Italy to visit the relos.
I remember walking through Florence and I told mum that I wanted to barrack for Carlton and she responded with "No, their supporters are all criminals"...I then said "what about Richmond?" She said "yep, they're ok"..... So that was the start of my rollercoaster Tiger days...Thanks mum.
My son had no choice as to who he supports....My family is both Essendon and Norf, I'm the only Tiger.
My in laws tried to get my son to follow Norf but I told them that he wants to follow a club that will be around in 10 years and not have to fly to Tassie to watch them.
Go Tigers...
Thanks for reading.
haha, good old mum saved the day ay. :)

My dad grew up and was raised in Richmond, Mum barracks for Collingwood, Brian Taylor did his plumbing apprenticeship in Prahran with Dad back in the day. So I would finish school head to the workshop and play kick to kick in the street with the then Full Forward of the Tigers, He would get us into the rooms a couple of times a year and was always around, right up until he went to Collingwood, then well I dont remember seeing him around the workshop much any more....I have two kids these days and both are Richmond FC members.

54 year old Scotsman, born,raised and still lives Glasgow. Celtic supporter and football (round ball, hate the word soccer!!) was my game, so how did I become a Tiger?

2nd oldest sister moved to Melbourne and met and married a Tigers Man.
My 1st dealings of the Tiges where through his stories, as my 1st few visits to Melbourne where not during footy season, so a dvd about the Tigers history and a worn out vhs tape of the 80 GF had to do.
Footy was new to me as a game and in the Uk all we ever saw were clips of fights, brawls and bumps, to showcase how fkin mental a game the Aussie nutters followed.
Started to rearrange my visits to make sure I could get to see The Tiges and learn about footy during the 90s!
Took the game to my heart along with The Tiges and through all the beltings I witnessed, I got to also learn and love footy culture (please dont change it! It shouldnt be americanised!!!).

Been using BF as a lyrker and then poster for a long time, dont post much now as time difference usually means Im well behind most discussions, but thought Id chip in my Tigers story anyway.

Been an international member for years but got lucky and was able to come and work for a year in Dec 2016, so the 2017 season was gonna be memorable (little did I know how memorable).
Converted my Int membership for a seat at The G, sitting besides my brother in law and my 2 Tiger loving, membership carrying sisters, whom both now live in Melbourne.

What a year that was, culminating in that fateful Saturday of Sept 30th 💪🏻.

GF day was brilliant (I was there 😎) and loved every minute of it. The walk back from the G was amazing, Richmond was bouncing, couldnt get into a pub until Bridge St, so had some catching up to do.

As good as it was watch "All" Tiger fans celebrate, it was amazing to see the release of pressure and sheer joy in my brother in law and all the Tigers fans of an older age group who had suffered for so long, beautiful nights drinking before moving on to nearer home and a great night at The Malvern Hotel.

Couldnt bite my finger nails by the time I got in, but didnt stop more drinking and watching reruns of the GF all night.

Back in Glasgow again now, so watching The Tiges via my Int membership and AFL tv. If Im not working I still get up at stupid o clock to watch games live.

Loving all the stories, shows how diverse a group The Tiger Army is. Many cultures but one thing holds it all together. The Richmond Football Club.

54 year old Scotsman, born,raised and still lives Glasgow. Celtic supporter and football (round ball, hate the word soccer!!) was my game, so how did I become a Tiger?

My 1st dealings of the Tiges where through his stories, as my 1st few visits to Melbourne where not during footy season, so a dvd about the Tigers history and a worn out vhs tape of the 80 GF had to do.
Footy was new to me as a game and in the Uk all we ever saw were clips of fights, brawls and bumps, to showcase how fkin mental a game the Aussie nutters followed.
Started to rearrange my visits to make sure I could get to see The Tiges and learn about footy during the 90s!
Took the game to my heart along with The Tiges and through all the beltings I witnessed, I got to also learn and love footy culture (please dont change it! It shouldnt be americanised!!!).

Been using BF as a lyrker and then poster for a long time, dont post much now as time difference usually means Im well behind most discussions, but thought Id chip in my Tigers story anyway.

Been an international member for years but got lucky and was able to come and work for a year in Dec 2016, so the 2017 season was gonna be memorable (little did I know how memorable).
Converted my Int membership for a seat at The G, sitting besides my brother in law and my 2 Tiger loving, membership carrying sisters, whom both now live in Melbourne.

GF day was brilliant (I was there 😎) and loved every minute of it. The walk back from the G was amazing, Richmond was bouncing, couldnt get into a pub until Bridge St, so had some catching up to do.

As good as it was watch "All" Tiger fans celebrate, it was amazing to see the release of pressure and sheer joy in my brother in law and all the Tigers fans of an older age group who had suffered for so long, beautiful nights drinking before moving on to nearer home and a great night at The Malvern Hotel.

Couldnt bite my finger nails by the time I got in, but didnt stop more drinking and watching reruns of the GF all night.

Back in Glasgow again now, so watching The Tiges via my Int membership and AFL tv. If Im not working I still get up at stupid o clock to watch games live.

Loving all the stories, shows how diverse a group The Tiger Army is. Many cultures but one thing holds it all together. The Richmond Football Club.
Everybody has been wondering what the hell was the good luck charm in 2017.
It was YOU!!!!!!!
That's just so amazing that you were able to be here for that. What a memory for you!!!

Good onya Celt , welcome to tigerland

Dad went to school with John Northey in Ballarat and stopped following Geelong and followed Northey to Richmond.I think Northey was from Derrinallum and Dad was from the neighbouring Lismore where they boarded at the now disgraced St.Patricks college Ballarat. Dan Butler, Dan Rioli and a heap of other AFL players went there.Umpire Shane McInerney was in my year and use to stutter badly, the teacher Jake Farley would yell at him 'spit it out Shane!' He was an okay guy but could not play sport at all, just a good runner.
So I got lucky and followed Richmond ,I cannot imagine supporting Geelong in any shape or form whatsover. I might have turned into a slightly dumber individual if that had happened.
Incidently, Emmett Dunne is my father's 2nd cousin and my sister once went on a date with Richo, Danny Daly was my sisters brother in law for a time. I was at the Mathew Knights Richmond Essendon final which was incredible.

I have been following the Tigers for a long time now. How long? you may ask. If I do the maths (I’m 67 in November) it must be at least 62 years now. WOW! Can’t believe I just typed that.

My dad was Collingwood all his life born and bred and therefore the rest of the family were that way. Or so it seemed. My grand mother on my mothers side was passionate Tigers and I think she really hated Collingwood in the old suburban way. Now I remember this as if it was yesterday. I wouldn’t have been any more than five years old. One day Nanny as we called her asks me “Who do you barrack for?” I replied Collingwood. She comes straight back to me with, “no you can’t barrack for them you should barrack for Richmond, the Tigers!” I replied why? Then she exclaimed. “Coz we eat em alive!” That was it for me really. I was instantly converted. Very convincing argument from Nanny. Been a tiger ever since that moment. Probably sometime in 1957 by my reckoning. Thanks Nanny!

I have been following the Tigers for a long time now. How long? you may ask. If I do the maths (I’m 67 in November) it must be at least 62 years now. WOW! Can’t believe I just typed that.

My dad was Collingwood all his life born and bred and therefore the rest of the family were that way. Or so it seemed. My grand mother on my mothers side was passionate Tigers and I think she really hated Collingwood in the old suburban way. Now I remember this as if it was yesterday. I wouldn’t have been any more than five years old. One day Nanny as we called her asks me “Who do you barrack for?” I replied Collingwood. She comes straight back to me with, “no you can’t barrack for them you should barrack for Richmond, the Tigers!” I replied why? Then she exclaimed. “Coz we eat em alive!” That was it for me really. I was instantly converted. Very convincing argument from Nanny. Been a tiger ever since that moment. Probably sometime in 1957 by my reckoning. Thanks Nanny!
Magnificent work by nanny , radicalised you with those 5 simple words . Love it

Hi Folks,
I'm sixty years old and the eldest of four boys who grew up in the burbs of Melbourne.
My father was not a sportsman and had little to no interest in the footy or any other sport however sometime after the birth of his fourth son he realised that perhaps his sons should follow a football team.
As I said, he had no interest in the footy, so he went across the road and asked a neighbours son who was on the bottom of the ladder at that time. No surprises but the Tigers were and he went up to the shops and bought myself and my younger brother both Richmond jumpers. We were tigers for life!

I remember posting the Tiger song on our front door at around age 14 with the message that all who entered had to sing the anthem.
I was at many and varied games during my teens including VFL park with the sprinklers on (and with the lights off), the pie stall burning down at Princes park, the realisation why Collingwood didn't need dentists ;), and many wins and a few loses along the way.
I remember my brother and I in the team rooms (when you could) after each game getting the player autographs.
I remember standing on the stacked beer cans (when you could) just to see over the crowd to see the game.
I was at the 80 GF and oh the joy .... five premierships in the 15 years I had been supporting the Tiges - 21 years old with many more GF to come .... it took a while!

When travelling in 82 in Europe I can remember the heartache in reading the Aus paper and finding out we had been done by the mortal enemy - the Blues in the GF. (Whereever we travelled we would hit the Australian embassy, they had reading rooms for those from the "lucky country", just to find the scores and latest news).
In the late 80s I was at the G to provide my donations to the SOS fund and still have my I was there, when we were down badge.
My wedding pre-nups had to include the assurance that I would be off to the G every week to see the Tiges win!

I moved overseas later in life for a while and when I returned have been living in NSW for the past 28 years but still follow the Tigers religously. It took a while to explain to those other sydney siders that, No, even though I follow the AFL I don't barrack for Sydney!

I have a son and a daughter and both Tiger supporters from a very early age... and now my daughter has moved to Vic she has become a Richmond member and goes to the games every week.
I now also have 2 grandchildren, both boys and both Tiger supporters :)

For my 50th birthday the brother I went to the footy with in the 70's gave me the Richmond FC book "The Tigers, A Century of League Football" and pasted inside the front cover was my autograph book from back in the day.

Graham Teasdale, Paul Sproule, Robbie McGhie, Sheeds, KB, Laurie Fowler, Francis Bourke, Roger Dean and a whole lot of other champions....

Although he has passed away, thanks Dad!

Hi Folks,
I'm sixty years old and the eldest of four boys who grew up in the burbs of Melbourne.
My father was not a sportsman and had little to no interest in the footy or any other sport however sometime after the birth of his fourth son he realised that perhaps his sons should follow a football team.
As I said, he had no interest in the footy, so he went across the road and asked a neighbours son who was on the bottom of the ladder at that time. No surprises but the Tigers were and he went up to the shops and bought myself and my younger brother both Richmond jumpers. We were tigers for life!

I remember posting the Tiger song on our front door at around age 14 with the message that all who entered had to sing the anthem.
I was at many and varied games during my teens including VFL park with the sprinklers on (and with the lights off), the pie stall burning down at Princes park, the realisation why Collingwood didn't need dentists ;), and many wins and a few loses along the way.
I remember my brother and I in the team rooms (when you could) after each game getting the player autographs.
I remember standing on the stacked beer cans (when you could) just to see over the crowd to see the game.
I was at the 80 GF and oh the joy .... five premierships in the 15 years I had been supporting the Tiges - 21 years old with many more GF to come .... it took a while!

When travelling in 82 in Europe I can remember the heartache in reading the Aus paper and finding out we had been done by the mortal enemy - the Blues in the GF. (Whereever we travelled we would hit the Australian embassy, they had reading rooms for those from the "lucky country", just to find the scores and latest news).
In the late 80s I was at the G to provide my donations to the SOS fund and still have my I was there, when we were down badge.
My wedding pre-nups had to include the assurance that I would be off to the G every week to see the Tiges win!

I moved overseas later in life for a while and when I returned have been living in NSW for the past 28 years but still follow the Tigers religously. It took a while to explain to those other sydney siders that, No, even though I follow the AFL I don't barrack for Sydney!

I have a son and a daughter and both Tiger supporters from a very early age... and now my daughter has moved to Vic she has become a Richmond member and goes to the games every week.
I now also have 2 grandchildren, both boys and both Tiger supporters :)

For my 50th birthday the brother I went to the footy with in the 70's gave me the Richmond FC book "The Tigers, A Century of League Football" and pasted inside the front cover was my autograph book from back in the day.

Graham Teasdale, Paul Sproule, Robbie McGhie, Sheeds, KB, Laurie Fowler, Francis Bourke, Roger Dean and a whole lot of other champions....

Although he has passed away, thanks Dad!

What a brilliant story!

Thanks so much for sharing :)

Got born into a Richmond/Geelong family, I didn't like the colours of Geelong so I just went with Richmond. I do remember the first game I went to as at the MCG between Richmond and Hawthorn, can't remember the year but I can remember us losing which was a lot more regular back then (would have been early 2000s), but I was never really into the team all that much, I just wanted to see good games so I might have been a regular bandwagoner before the Hardwick era. Once Hardwick took over as coach, was around the same time I became an adult, so it seemed like a good idea to stay with one team. Those elimination finals years were... not so pleasant.. but the road leading up the Port Adelaide game where we got 9 in a row was ******* amazing! 2017 still doesn't feel real, and I find hard to believe I'm living in an era where Richmond are a great club with a great team.. but I like it. I hope it stays.

Oh yeah, I think my favourite tiger when I was growing up was Greg Tivendale, 'cos I kept calling him 'Chip 'n' Dale' :p

I'm 147 years old, and I've been following Richmond since Genghis Khan was playing Centre-half-forward.

Ok - not that bad. I suspect I became a Richmond supporter because we won the flag in '67. My dad was a Saints man (not fanatical - just interested) and so '66 must have been great for him, but it didn't register at all for me (maybe I had my interest sparked, and so I looked for a team to support and picked the next champs). I really don't think I experienced '67 in real time - I've seen it so often on Grand Final Marathons that I can convince myself that I was aware at the time, but I really doubt it. I have vague memories of '68 and '69, and I think I really started taking an interest in '69 when we had our great run through the finals.
(Hey - 1969 was 50 years ago - when we smashed Geelong in the first final, despite being underdogs, and went on to win the flag. Exactly 50 years...........).
Also living in Glen Waverley, we were in Richmond's recruiting zone, so we saw Tigers at School Footy clinics etc. Quite a few Waverley VFA players got onto the Richmond list over time (Kevin Morris and his brother, Peter Williams and a few others).
Anyway, we lived near Waverley, so Dad and I went to a lot of games there, and it seemed like Richmond played there a lot. So it was really early 70s that my passion really kicked in. KB was always No 1 for me, Francis Bourke was the legend, and my dad hated Sheedy. I think I missed Royce Hart's best years - he'd done his knees too much damage by the time I was aware of him.

I think my 3 favourite players over the journey were KB, Geoff Raines (until he left, and then I suddenly saw what an unlikeable show pony he was - while playing for another team:cool:) and Jack Riewoldt.

My 3 favourite cult heroes were Mark Merenda, Mark Coughlan, and Bones Richardson.

It was 1976...So I was 7 and my brother Paul was 8...He said, “Let’s go through these footy cards, and we’ll decide who we barrack for.” Nek minut, “Look at this beautiful man (Peter Knights) we’ll definitely barrack for Hawks.” I agreed, but only cos I was a little scared of him...I ran over to tell (local brute) “Chris Napper” the good news...He was 10...But he made the Jordy Boys look like One Direction...He was smoking in his lounge-room, and I’m pretty sure he was stroking a white cat...Also pretty sure he said he’d been expecting me...I excitedly told him about my Hawks...He said “Interesting”...He butted out his smoke and called his Ma to get the cat off him...He then got up and took a footy card out of his tattooed sleeve...It was Kevin Bartlett...He scrunched it up and punched me in the face with it...He told me he’d do that every day with a different card, if I didn’t barrack for Richmond...He also demanded I hand over my Dick Clay, but we’d get back to that...He then had a violent coughing fit, and I got the hell out of there...I went and told Paul the good (bad) news...I then burst into tears with a bloody nose...As at 2016, Paul’s 11 flags, to my 1...Says I should’ve punched Naps back...Or at least moved suburbs...Damn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hi everyone,excellent thread,enjoy reading so many interesting stories.

its all about larger than life figures and first impressions for me.
im now 51,it started around '74...my mother grew up 15 mins walk from western oval,her mum,my grandmother, was a richmond fan,she knew some
richmond committee man who was from footscray and she knew david thorpes parents whom debuted at doggies age 17 but played in tigers flag '74.so shed followed that thread...anyway she had this royce hart poster up in the spare room of him taking a spectacular mark and it captivated me,also in that room was a teddy bear,not an effeminate one, but a real footy one,the bear was a black cushion like bear with a yellow sash & a white number 4 on the back,she noticed my fascination immediately,she handed it to me & the rest is history.

During '75 she hand knitted me a yellow and black scarf which i still have to this day.its long been wrapped in plastic protected from the elements.

i remember mum and nan debating many times both david thorpe and robert mcghie who had both become richmond premiership players after starting at footscray and how my mum was disgusted at how 2 local boys had left her beloved dogs.

i'll never forget a particular day as a 7 yr old walking up to the western ovalfrom nans on a sunny april saturday,standing on beer cans in the inner listening to all the bulldogs supporters giving it to bartlett,bourke,sheedy and co. after keeping the reigning premiers to 4 goals in perfect conditions and in the proccess thumping us by 12 goals.it was unheard of for footscray to do that to richmond,let alone a reigning premiers richmond,but they did and i'll never forget the joy it gave my mum and her friends and all the bulldogs supporters that day,they were all laughing and swearing and smoking and drinking and enjoying, i guess,one of the best wins in that clubs history up to then.

lastly another endearing impression of richmond i can remember as a kid was watching a young surfie looking dude named allan edwards glide up and down the wings at arden st a few times from '75-'77 going toe to toe with the great keith greig and listening to my father,who wasnt a richmond or north supporter,tell me or anyone who wanted to listen that edwards was the next big superstar 'whilst sipping beer from a can' after edwards held his own once again with the legend that was keith greig..theys was great times

Last edited:
I never really remember making a choice to support Richmond, it was just a given since I was born I guess. My father and grandfather were both mad Richmond supporters and I was just born with a Richmond jumper on I guess. Dad was 14 when we won in 1980 so he didn't really appreciate it at the time and was doomed to suffer through the next 37 years of mediocrity, he lived 3 hours away but would still get to 4 or 5 games every season. He was a firefighter and has often told me the story of how he was out fighting a bushfire after we beat Essendon in the 1995 semi-final and somehow managed to secure tickets to the Prelim against Geelong using a satellite phone out at the fire front even though the person on the other end of the phone couldn't get his head around the concept that they couldn't both talk at the same time and to only start talking once Dad had said over. But he finally got the tickets and sat through the game at the G watching Geelong absolutely dismantle us, I was only 3 years old at the time.

I only really started getting passionate about football when I was in high school and Dad and I would often make the 3 hour trip down to Melbourne to watch the Tiges. Some of the stronger memories include:

- Crying at Avenel roadhouse after Cuz did his hammy
- Dad accidentally punching a bloke in the head when he jumped out of his seat when Bowden kicked a late goal to put us in front against Brisbane at Docklands
- The Andy Collins game against Sydney
- The infamous Richo hands in the back
- Seeing Melbourne supporters celebrating after the Jordy McMahon goal
- Listening to Dimmas first win as coach against Port in 2010 on the radio with Dad
- The heartbreaking string of elimination final losses, including a roadtrip to Adelaide. Nick Duigan still sends shivers down my spine.

After the Hawks game in 2017 I decided I was upgrading to an MRC membership, Dad didn't as he thought it would be a bad omen. I got my ticket down on level 1 down the Punt Rd end behind the cheersquad and Dad managed to sneak into the MCC with a mates membership so we didn't get to watch the game together but he came over after the final siren and we stood on some chairs arm in arm down the Punt Rd end and watched the boys celebrate, one of the best memories of my life.

Have just booked some flights & accommodation for the final in Brisbane so hoping to make some more good memories in a couple of weeks.

But he finally got the tickets and sat through the game at the G watching Geelong absolutely dismantle us, I was only 3 years old at the time.
I was there as well, it was a wet horrible day out at Waverly, why we played Geelong there I don't remember but all the Tiger supporters singing our song in the last quarter as we were getting pumped was the highlight of the game. Nick Daffy mentioned on the Sunday footy show how awesome it was to hear the fans, even though they had put in a shocker which was cool to hear.

I never really remember making a choice to support Richmond, it was just a given since I was born I guess. My father and grandfather were both mad Richmond supporters and I was just born with a Richmond jumper on I guess. Dad was 14 when we won in 1980 so he didn't really appreciate it at the time and was doomed to suffer through the next 37 years of mediocrity, he lived 3 hours away but would still get to 4 or 5 games every season. He was a firefighter and has often told me the story of how he was out fighting a bushfire after we beat Essendon in the 1995 semi-final and somehow managed to secure tickets to the Prelim against Geelong using a satellite phone out at the fire front even though the person on the other end of the phone couldn't get his head around the concept that they couldn't both talk at the same time and to only start talking once Dad had said over. But he finally got the tickets and sat through the game at the G watching Geelong absolutely dismantle us, I was only 3 years old at the time.

I only really started getting passionate about football when I was in high school and Dad and I would often make the 3 hour trip down to Melbourne to watch the Tiges. Some of the stronger memories include:

- Crying at Avenel roadhouse after Cuz did his hammy
- Dad accidentally punching a bloke in the head when he jumped out of his seat when Bowden kicked a late goal to put us in front against Brisbane at Docklands
- The Andy Collins game against Sydney
- The infamous Richo hands in the back
- Seeing Melbourne supporters celebrating after the Jordy McMahon goal
- Listening to Dimmas first win as coach against Port in 2010 on the radio with Dad
- The heartbreaking string of elimination final losses, including a roadtrip to Adelaide. Nick Duigan still sends shivers down my spine.

After the Hawks game in 2017 I decided I was upgrading to an MRC membership, Dad didn't as he thought it would be a bad omen. I got my ticket down on level 1 down the Punt Rd end behind the cheersquad and Dad managed to sneak into the MCC with a mates membership so we didn't get to watch the game together but he came over after the final siren and we stood on some chairs arm in arm down the Punt Rd end and watched the boys celebrate, one of the best memories of my life.

Have just booked some flights & accommodation for the final in Brisbane so hoping to make some more good memories in a couple of weeks.
Haha you’re old man sounds like me , I resisted upgrading MRC until we beat freo in r22 for fear of mozzing it. The rest is history

it was mid 1982 we we had just moved to Melbourne from Sydney, dad was in the navy at the time and it was his time to serve our country in a city called Melbourne. Dad is actually South Australian while mum is from a large Victorian family, as a young 7 year old from Sydney all I ever knew was rugby league, being born in paddington I was a Rooster the day I was born (the red, white & blue) however living in Blacktown at the time it didnt sit well with the locals back then LOL

So the navy moved the family (mum and sister) out west to Sunshine (bulldog country) and dad wanted me to play sport and introduced me to the game of footy. The old man is a Richmond supporter (also Sturt supporter) so I followed suit, the first game I ever went to was Richmond v Carlton at the G Round 20 1982 in front of 70,000 supporters. It was the day I fell in love with a new team, a new sport, new colours and my hatred for all things navy blue was born.

We didnt win that day, in fact we got well beaten, looking back on the score however it was 28 points but it felt much much worse on that particular day.

Richmond9.10 (64)Carlton13.14 (92)MCG71,20314 August 1982

My love for Richmond continued to grow that year, some say "bandwagoner" could possibly be applied however we all know what happened in 1982 and I just happened to watch the game at home with mum's brother who was a one-eyed Carlton supporter and the rest of our extended family. He had a 20 cent bet with me that day and when the final siren rang and I knew we had lost .. I ran off balling my eyes out LMAO my uncle felt bad and wanted to give me his 20 cents instead, but I refused to take it as my sadness grew into anger .. that bloody Carlton team once again getting in my way of happiness.

Over the next few years, dad would take me to plenty of Richmond games all over the state, from the Western Oval, to the G, Victoria Park and even Artic Park. However there was one place I refused to step into and never did ... shitty ol Princes Park ... w***ers.

At the end of 1984, much to my sadness we had to move back to Sydney but VFL followed me there as it was my new love, found a new hatred the bloody Swans, played footy for a Club in Heathcote called the Hawks and had to wear the poo and wee colours to my disgust. Got to play little league on the SCG a couple of times and what I look back on as a stitch up had to wear Swan colours one week while the Tigers came to town. Finding out our opponents in the local league the Bangor Tigers were to be Richmond for the day. I turned to dad and said you signed me up for the wrong team !!!!

1989 the family would move one last time, this time it would be to Perth another Footy loving state, no longer hear my mates refer to the sport I loved as ariel ping pong and I was free of those bum sniffing losers, however a new team was born and a new hatred was formed being the West Coast Eagles. I remember sitting with the family on the old grassed hill at Subiaco oval back in those early days, you could actually play kick to kick during a game. Thats how empty the stadium was back then. These days however theres a new 60K seat Stadium near the Casino filled with the biggest bunch of bandwagon supporters you ever will see. The Chardonnay set is still alive and well my Tiger friends and these flog supporters when I look back comparing them to what we have had to endure for 30+ years and they have no idea about tough times and sticking with a team when the chips are down. It's all about Victorian bias over here.

I guess the formation of Fremantle is kind of ironic in that respect when you think about it.

Go the Tigers !! let's take back what's ours and also give me the satisfaction of "sticking it up em" here in the west.

Last edited:
Hello, I only just joined so I'm not sure if I should even be posting here but I'll see how it goes.

My family is all Hawthorn, and I can't remember that well why I went against the accepted tradition of the hawks at age 6 but i seem to remember a pretty girl I liked at the time was tiger mad and even though she never gave me a second look once your into the Tigers there's no turning back, come hell or high water we love em and that's that.

My fiance never really got into football but after witnessing me become a nutjob for a week leading up to our GLORIOUS grand final win, my going insane at every crows call during the game and the tears of joy when I knew we had the crows on the canvas she looked at me and said "I love you baby and you love them so I'm Richmond all the way with you"..... I asked her to marry me 3 days later.

My kids are split, my Dad got to my eldest daughter and she's a Hawk, I still remember that s**t eating grin of his every time she said she was a Hawthorn girl...........
My youngest is a Tiger through and through, my Dad tried his arse off taking her to Hawks games and everything but I pulled a low blow to stop him corrupting my other child........
I told her when she was a kid that Santa was a tigers supporter and if she didn't follow the Tigers then he'd put her on the naughty list and get no presents.... Cruel I know but hey you do what you gotta do to save the cubs when treachery is afoot haha
I'd have to say my most memorable moment besides the granny would be bumping into Richo outside his hotel room when we were staying at the same place a few years back.
Like some creepy stalker I came back to his door and belted on it with a 6 pack of boags premium, a desperate please talk to me smile and a request for a chat and if not that a photo.
Richo answered the door and was an absolute champ to me. I got to spend the next 30 minutes watching the big fella smash a pizza in what seemed to be a new Guinness world record, talked about the tiges and had a beer and a laugh with a complete legend of a bloke. I got my phone stolen at my mates BBQ a few nights later though while it was charging and along with it my 3 selfies of me and Richo.
There's a special place in hell for Richo selfie thieves.........

And finally i spose ill say how I ended up here, I used to have a good mate with an awesome man cave and we would watch tigers games together, get messed up and have a laugh and he would mention this place to me quite often and tell me I need to join but I just never got around to it.
Sadly though he passed away a few years back and missed our awesome grand final win and for a while the thought of checking this place out just made me sad. Time heals all wounds though and now days being here makes me smile remembering that idiot, he was the funniest campaigner I ever met.

So that's the story so far and I'm happy to finally be here.

God I love this footy club, I'd be lost without em

Hey Guys,
Like above First time posting. Not new I just forgot my last log in details from 2014.

Ok my story begins as we arrived in Australia on 27th September 1980 at 11:00 am to my uncles house, everyones a bloody Aunty or an uncle when your young.
I was 3 years old, didn't speak English and never seen colour TV. Also apparently an escape artist. This is a story from Mum told at my 21st in Beaconsfield.

After running off in this new country with my 4 year old sister, we ended up in my "uncles" car pretending we could drive. Long story short, stood on the hand break, was somehow put into Neutral and rolled down the driveway, hit a tree blah blah. Anyway as punishment was forcibly pushed into a seating position in front of this colour TV where it was the live coverage of a sport I have never seen before. Dad was having a discussion about these proceedings as he was a professional football, soccer, player for Capetown and in Afrikannse the were saying its Australian rules Football.

Dad said it was a blessing as I didn't move for 5 hours, and didn't blink just transfixed on a little skinny bald player who always had the ball. Thats how it started and cemented the following year with a skilful darkie named Rioli. Every school dress up from kindergarten was a mix between, G Force and Maurice.

I gave all my pocket money to the save our skins campaign and happily sacrificed a new Masters of the Universe to help the club. Ive ridden the highs and lows for over 39years and proudly wore a RFC beanie that mum and dad posted to me where ever my address in the USA or Canada when I travelled the world chasing snow for 16years.

At the Giants preliminary final two years ago, I sunk to my seat when the siren went crying my eyes out, only to have some other supporter behind me pull me up and say and "I thought I was a tragic, wait till my wife meets you", I left the biggest wet patch on his shoulder.

To finish up, the phone Rang while I was on Swan street going crazy, having a .... of the good stuff. It was my Fiancee screaming/crying/yelling at me to get to the Royal Women's hospital now! I ran to punt road and managed to hail a cab. It sobers you up pretty f***ing quick a phone call like that.

Miller Grace Ventura was born on 30th September 2017 at 11:00pm.

Best day of my life.

I was born in Fitzroy, into a bomber family, and lived around the corner from Windy Hill. Went to Aberfeldie Primary School.
On September 27, 1980 I attended my good mate's 6th birthday party. I think it was at St Albans, but hey it was a long time ago.
They were a tiger family. I became a tiger that day.

Anyone else here at that party?

We lived in Geelong in 63..and parents were both Cats supporters. I started playing LL Footy..and mum took me to KMart to buy a football outfit. There was something about Richmond that really appealed to me. Black with that Yellow stripe so I asked for a full Richmond kit..socks and all. Loved the Tigers and they were a great team in this era. Burke Barrott Clay...Hart Bartlett. Power football team. Have to say I went off Tigers after Balme hit on Southby. That was a cowardly act and having been poleaxed the same way myself as a senior player understood how Southby would have felt.. Was once asked to train with Richmond but I think I was too intimidated to go down to Punt Road. So whilst I have lived in Geelong and basked in their recent glories I can tell you that I will be on the Tigers next week especially if they are against Collingwood. Go Tiges. A love lost but well remembered! ;)

My Tiger story.

- how did you become Richmond supporter? My Dad was a Tiger, and my Grandfather. They used to take me to the footy every week in the early 1970's. Western Oval, Windy Hill, Moorabbin, Junction Oval, VFL Park...even got spat on at Victoria Park...and of course the G. Great days

- are you from a mixed team family? Nope - all Tigers!

- if you have kids who do they support and how did that come about - my 2 x boys are Tigers. We've been going regularly since they were little - they are now 19 and 15 and are both 16 year members!

I'm a 25 year member...though was also a member when I was a kid...so a gap of a few years in my older teens...

2019 Grand Final - I managed to get my Dad to come down from Qld - he saw his first Tiger Premiership in person after all these years. Special day - 3 generations sitting and celebrating together! What a day!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back