Universal Love Your Tiger story - share your story here

Remove this Banner Ad

My family emigrated from the UK and arrived in Victoria in the early 1970s. Parents had no interest in sports, and had no idea about football. After about a year, the neighbours - keen Bulldogs supporters - thought a proper 5 year old Aussie kid should know about the football, and prevailed on my parents to take me to a game - at Western Oval. Can't remember much about the game other than it was cold, but the guys in yellow and black won, so I thought I was a good luck charm, and hence started the love for the Tigers.

In the late 70s was lucky enough to have friends whose parents seemed very keen on football (and had connections) so would get taken to the football a few weekends a year. One of my mates' father was on the board of the old South Melbourne FC, and would get us into the rooms when the Tigers played (although sitting in the old Lakeside Oval Members stand meant I wasn't allowed to wear my Tiger colours or cheer if we won - which was pretty rare anyway. I was there in the last round of 1980, keeping very quiet as the Tigers got thumped). As a school kid in 1980, I though the success was a given, and when I was taken to the 1982 Grand Final, I never imagined for a moment that would be the best it would be for 3+ decades. I started taking myself to the footy in the 1980s, catching up with mates, and loved singing the song on the rare occasions we won.

In 1991 I was lucky enough to marry a girl who had no interest in football but was (and still is) very happy for me to go to the matches. When our 2 daughters were born, it became a family joke that I sang them the Tiger theme song every night, and decked them out in yellow and black every time we won. I started taking them to the football when they were about 5 - although kick-to-kick on the ground after the game was dangerous for little girls - and signed them up as RFC members. We had an agreement that I had to take them to at least one game every year that they got to sing the song at in the end. There were several years we attended 8 or 9 games... which, living in country Victoria, was quite the effort. They've both grown up to be avid Tigers, both are Gold members, often going to the games together when I couldn't, and the (4th) happiest day of my life was 30 September 2017 when the 3 of us were in the very last row of the Ponsford stand together, all crying and hugging as the years of frustration washed away on one glorious, scarcely believable afternoon.

This year, one daughter has relocated to London, but she was up watching on the WatchAFL app, while we face-timed her from the MCG last Saturday. And my 80 year old Dad, who still has almost no interest in sports, watched the game on TV and sent me a message at half time telling me the Tigers were clearly the best team. Could have knocked me over with a feather (and I didn't know he even knew how to send a text message!!).

I was born in Fitzroy, into a bomber family, and lived around the corner from Windy Hill. Went to Aberfeldie Primary School.
On September 27, 1980 I attended my good mate's 6th birthday party. I think it was at St Albans, but hey it was a long time ago.
They were a tiger family. I became a tiger that day.

Anyone else here at that party?
Not at the party but played football down the road at Clifton Park

I'm 60. Lucky enough to be supporting Richmond from the good old days of the late 60s. In 1969 after the grand final win, I cut out all the celebratory articles & posters out of the newspapers and stuck them on the Grade 5 classroom wall. Ripped down all the old moon landing stuff. My mum was the relief teacher for the term. It was her idea. I am from Aberfeldie & I do have memories of Windy Hill. Essendon FC gave our school a season's ticket, for grade 6 kids to use. I remember baggsing it the first week & then no one else was interested so I kept it all year. Couldn't really see much between adults legs. It was became more fun as a 15, 16 year old, as a place to sink a few tinnies with school mates in the outer. There were brawls every week none more classic than the one involving Graeme Richmond.

One of my good friends was a younger brother of Ricky McLean. So I was happy when he transferred across to Richmond. Our primary school footy team did well because we had 2 big kids who had repeated a year. The only flag I ever won. I was super keen on playing footy but U13s was the youngest age group, I boundary umpired for the under 13s for 4 years. But captained Aberferldie’s inaugural year of U11s. They awarded/gifted me the B & F too but my Vice captain, Clinton Casey, deserved it. He went on to be a good ruckman and a reknowned business man. Oh, and president of the tigers. My interest in playing footy waned until I gave it up after U15s. Too short, too slow.

The old man was born and bred in Essendon, Keilor Road, in fact but he was a staunch catholic and labour voter, and so hated Essendon football club for their protestant ness. He barracked for Richmond, the catholic club. Through the early 70s 72~74. There were nothing but Richmond grand finals for me and a younger brother. In standing room catching glimpses of action between people standing in front of me. I do recall Billy Barrot steaming out of the centre of the G, drop kicking goals. Oh and Balmey going the biff on some Carlton player.

Drifted away from footy from the mid 70s, and was more into surfing. Spending as much time as possible down the west coast. By the late 70 & early 80s I was back and forward to SE Asia. Surfboard under arm. The last trip had been back via Perth so I made my way back to Melbourne via the Kimberley and saw a game or 2 up there. Indig. Guys playing barefoot. By the late 80s, settling down found me and the missus and kid in West Footscray. And going down to Whitten Oval to see a few games of Dogs & Lions. It was good to see the Tiges come good in the mid 90s. I loved that team.

But itchy feet saw the familia up stumps to NSW. As far north as you can get. Get to games in Brizzy & the GC.

As a kid I barracked for Melbourne with no real ties to them other than I liked the demon logo. Liked the jumper also.

An older friend of my parents who we knew from church in 1977 invited me to watch my team Melbourne play his team Richmond.

Richmond beat Melbourne easily that day but I remember running to the players race and seeing Kevin Sheedy in his muddy lace up walking up the race at half time. He looked as if he had given his all. It is an image that remains with me. That along with Bartlett running amok down the boundary.

Next week the friend asked me if I wanted to go again next week. it wouldn't be to see Melbourne of course, it would be his team Richmond take on North Melbourne at Arden Street. Tigers lost to the stronger Kangaroos.

I took him up on that offer and I kept going each week with him and you just know when you become a Richmond supporter based on how you feel about wins and losses. i was a mad Richmond supporter by 1978 and depressed or on a high depending on the result.

He took me to games between 1977-1983 when I was too young to go by myself. Hope he saw the premierships from above. He chose well for me.

Go Tigers. 42 years. Bloody hell.

My Tiger story:

- how did you become Richmond supporter?
This was actually a gift from an ex BF. He and his family were from Richmond and mad Tiger fans. Being from the Gold Coast, I hadn't really taken an interest in AFL but was promptly introduced to the world of footy and the Richmond FC. That was around 15 years ago (one of my first memories was Brownys broken leg :( and everything that was Richo).

- are you from a mixed team family?
My family now support Richmond by default because of me, however we all also kinda support the Suns because they are our local and if we don't put bums on seats they may close the club, which means no Richmond games at Metricon!!

My Tiger story:

- how did you become Richmond supporter?
This was actually a gift from an ex BF. He and his family were from Richmond and mad Tiger fans. Being from the Gold Coast, I hadn't really taken an interest in AFL but was promptly introduced to the world of footy and the Richmond FC. That was around 15 years ago (one of my first memories was Brownys broken leg :( and everything that was Richo).

- are you from a mixed team family?
My family now support Richmond by default because of me, however we all also kinda support the Suns because they are our local and if we don't put bums on seats they may close the club, which means no Richmond games at Metricon!!
Welcome aboard ,

You blokes have a better memory than mine because I can’t pinpoint the moment I became a Tiger but it was mid 70’s and was a combination of the Flags (73/74 - I was very young), being in a Tiger recruiting zone (Glen Waverley) and my best mate living next door being a Tiger.
He was in a family of Blues supporters and was the only Tigers fan.
My family didn’t really follow footy but the old man had a soft spot for the Saints and eventually my sisters married into the black and white filth with my brother developing a genuine interest in football also being a Pies loser.

My mum became a Tiger fan because as the youngest in our family and the last one at home, her joy was inextricably linked to my joy which ebbed and flowed to the fortunes of the yellow and black boys from Punt Rd.

I DO remember the losses, the heavy and demoralising defeats - Carlton at Princes Park, the Hawks, the Cats, the Bombers and the Eagles as they rolled through their era’s and we wallowed in our reoccurring “errors”.

I also remember the false dawns, the rise and falls of the “saviours” - KB, Northey, the Geish - who could forget the moving the players toward the cheer squad at Princess Park in the 90’s? And what about Terry being locked and loaded at the beginning of 2009?

That round 1 game remained my darkest moment because the snake oil salesman sucked me in beautifully and after that moment I vowed to never look forward to winning a flag - I would only look back by basking in our reflected glory.....

And yet these struggles are what has defined us as supporters and made us the greatest supporter base in the competition.

We have been there through thick and thin.

When we booed the Cats players in 2017, our support was a tangible advantage. I remember a mate talking to a Cats player and he remarked that the booing was that intense it stopped a couple of them in their tracks when they ran out onto the ground.

That’s the Tiger fan whose been waiting and waiting and waiting for our moment to come.

In 2017, it was such a shock to win the damned thing, my mum had to go out to the garden periodically until it became obvious we were going to win it.

Then, this year became a family affair.

The 3 kids, my wife and my dear old mum at 81 years of age enjoyed a dominate display of a team who represented a club that finally decided to build something properly after nearly 30 years of short cuts.

I still remember Dimma’s first speech at the B&F.

“We are going to do things properly at the club”

Our win last month was the pinnacle of that comment.

I love our club, I love our supporters and have lost count of the moments of camaraderie from our wins over the years.

To win a flag has taken that camaraderie to new levels and reinforces to me and my kids why we are so lucky to barrack for this club in such an incredible era ... finally! An era!!!!

My dad was born in 1925 and lived in Lyndhurst St Richmond barely 100m from St Ignatius. His own father died tragically when Dad was just two and his mum and his uncles made sure that the RFC would became part of his life. He attended his first Grand Final in 1933 which the Tigers lost to South. When I was a young kid he would always tell me how difficult life was during the depression and especially so in Richmond. Getting taken to Punt Road to see the Tigers was the only thing he looked forward to. He took me to my first game in Rd 1 1970, the first ever Sunday game, there was a massive crowd and we lost to Fitzroy. And the Queen was there.
Finals followed in 71,72 but dad could only afford standing room tickets and he built a little stool for me to stand on. And soon the premierships started.
He is 94 now and after losing the love of his life after 65 years together in late August of 2017, we know the Tigers had a friend in heaven making sure they got the job done.
After the post siren celebrations in Swan St I raced straight out to Dad’s place and we sat and watched the game together, something I will never forget.
And we did it all again this year!
So my Dad has given me a lot in life, and I just thank God he was born a Tiger.

My uncle played for Geeling (John Sharrock) so some of my family are moggie supporters.

We moved from Tooleybuc to Wandin When I was still too young to adopt a team. Fortunately there was a baker who delivered bread that was (and still is) a mad tiger supporter. He converted my older brothers and so I was saved from being a home ground whinge bag.

I've been a member for in excess of 35 years, and also buy mum a 3121 membership.

She was Carlton, despite her brothers days at Geelong, but converted after the Jezza break up. Her first year as a Tiger was a premiership year and she hasn't looked back.

Growing up out on a cherry orchard, my brothers and I would walk around the orchard and surrounding bushland glued to our radios. Back then we'd get to maybe 7 or 8 games.

An aqueduct winds through the bush and there was an old barn with an over grown garden, giant oaks and chestnut trees etc around it.

We'd lay about and listen to the footy when our chores were done under those trees.

Now I attend all of our Melbourne games with mum and one of my brothers.

2017 was my first GF and an amazing day to share with mum and my brother.

2019 was amazing as well, but 2017 was extra special.

More please Dimma!

Well, mine isn’t as interesting as others I’d say lol.

I started following Richmond in 2003 I believe. I was about 10-11 years at that time. I migrated from overseas and I didn’t know about AFL until then. I first lived in Carlton so I was very very close to becoming a Carlton supporter (I’m so happy I didn’t go down that route!). When it came to officially picking a club, I gravitated towards Richmond because I thought tigers were cool. When starting primary school, I had two close friends who were both Richmond supporters and that solidified Richmond for me.

I wasn’t really on the internet all that much at the time but our school had the ladder up in one of the hallways and I used to get very frustrated that we were always on the bottom of the ladder. I didn’t like how we were always teased or pitied. “Final straw” came 1 or 1 and a half years into following Richmond as Richmond won the wooden spoon. Then, I decided that I’d go for Sydney instead of Richmond.

For the first 11 rounds or so, I went for “Sydney” (it was very unofficial because I’d always have my eye on what Richmond does lol). I noticed that Sydney were towards the bottom of the ladder but Richmond were doing decently. In Round 11, I “jumped ship” back to Richmond. Sydney go on to win the Premiership and Richmond collapsed in a heap.

Alas, I stuck with Richmond since then without pretending I liked another team more and have not looked back since. I missed a lot of the 37 years of wilderness considering that I wasn’t around in the 80s and didn’t know anything about AFL in the 90s. I still caught more than enough of the 2000s and early 2010s though to understand the pain of those lean years!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum stuff, so please be nice :) I love watching footy and appreciate the best players in the game. I grew up in South Australia and have always watched the game since I can remember. Basketball and Footy are my outlets, as well as writing and performing music. I look forward to reading and contributing to the forums. Have a nice day!

I don't remember the moment when I became a yellow and black barracker. I was but a babe in arms.

I extended that principle to my own offspring thanks to a patient wife, who came on board.

Consequently, our eldest had a hard time of it during the lean years! The youngest has been luckier.

Father grew up in Richmond. I am a Tiger from Birth. Went to school in Abbotsford, and constantly berated for not following the BIGGEST CLUB in the VFL. Hence my pathalogical hatred for Pies. Whilst they bragged how good they were - Tiges won premierships during my school days. What a time it was, and is now. History repeats.

Mum a swan and Dad was a bomber
Originally barracked for south and have a very very faint memory of being taken to a game and sitting on the fence in the rain at the lake oval..
Can't remember why i switched but have been told it was because i like Tigers
First memory of being a tiger was going to richmond / essendon game at waverly in late 70s(79 i think)
Wasn't that interested in the game then so spent my time playing on the ramps behind the members stand..
Dad took me to 3 games in 80 , always sat behind punt goals..Always loved when we got there looking back up and seeing all the cheer squad sitting with their backs to the ground in their duffel coats..
Was at the famous 90k game easter monday game against essendon in 82..
In 85 was deemed old enough to catch the train so started going every week and joined cheer squad , always got there when gates opened so i could get
in the front row and wave a flogger lol..Despite the tough times had a lot of fun those days going to games and sitting/standing in the CS.
Remember plenty of games getting thrashed and out chanting the opposition cheer squads sitting a few bays around from us!
Use to love going to the old suburban grounds even though it meant longer travel(from mt eliza)
Even got to help with the banner a few times including the last ever game at arden st...
In about 88 i think i decided was too old to sit in cheer squad so started going by my self..From 93 went with some friends i met from uni until about 2009
when i realised they didnt like me that much so went back to sitting by myself lol...
Went to plenty of games against essendon wit dad , he had a well developed hatred of the carlton football club so came to rnd 1 games with me and enjoyed seeing us beat the filth from 2013 onwards....
umm nothing else to add pretty boring i guess!

Last edited:
Mum a swan and Dad was a bomber
Originally barracked for south and have a very very faint memory of being taken to a game and sitting on the fence in the rain at the lake oval..
Can't remember why i switched but have been told it was because i like Tigers
First memory of being a tiger was going to richmond / essendon game at waverly in late 70s(79 i think)
Wasn't that interested in the game then so spent my time playing on the ramps behind the members stand..
Dad took me to 3 games in 80 , always sat behind punt goals..Always loved when we got there looking back up and seeing all the cheer squad sitting with their backs to the ground in their duffel coats..
Was at the famous 90k game easter monday game against essendon in 82..
In 85 was deemed old enough to catch the train so started going every week and joined cheer squad , always got there when gates opened so i could get
in the front row and wave a flogger lol..Despite the tough times had a lot of fun those days going to games and sitting/standing in the CS.
Remember plenty of games getting thrashed and out chanting the opposition cheer squads sitting a few bays around from us!
Use to love going to the old suburban grounds even though it meant longer travel(from mt eliza)
Even got to help with the banner a few times including the last ever game at arden st...
In about 88 i think i decided was too old to sit in cheer squad so started going by my self..From 93 went with some friends i met from uni until about 2009
when i realised they didnt like me that much so went back to sitting by myself lol...
Went to plenty of games against essendon wit dad , he had a well developed hatred of the carlton football club so came to rnd 1 games with me and enjoyed seeing us beat the filth from 2013 onwards....
umm nothing else to add pretty boring i guess!
at least you stuck fat during the terrible years '84 - '08 ...full respect for that... i remember going a few times '88-'91 & it was just depressing ...for you to front up cosistently during those days i tips me hat...i too was at the 90k game v Essendon in '82. a definite highlight for me as well,Essendon was on the up & coached by our very own favourite son Sheeds,we had some great battles with them in the early 80's

Dad came from Portland in western Victoria and their team were the Tigers so when he started living in Melbourne he started following the Tigers, mum did the same when they met and us 5 kids had no choice and the 4 grandkids didn't either. Mum and dad have both passed away, dad in 98 (50 year member), mum last year (62 year member) and 4 of us 5 have reached 50 years of membership, my younger brother isn't old enough for that yet. The 4 grandkids are all members and have nearly 70 years between them, the oldest boys just turned 22. Combined for the 11 of us we've got approx 440 years.
I've also been a cheer squad member for 40 years and my teenage daughter is also an active member of the cheer squad. It's been one hell of a ride but sharing 2017 and 2019 with my daughter was awesome and I wouldn't change any of it. All the heartache was forgotten 💛🖤

I became a Richmond supporter in 2002 when I was 13. Got onto the club as a mate was giving everyone AFL clubs to support. The early years of supporting them were tough especially in 2004 and 2007. However success was built upon year after year, in stages to where we are now. I remember as I didnt have Foxtel I would listen to the Triple M or 3aw commentary from AFL.com.au for games that werent televised on free to air. It was great to visualise the commentary of how it would of looked on tv for those games. Loved singing the song after those games when we had a win. Fox had a free trial on Transact in 2005 i think (for all you ACT supporters which may ring a bell) and I loved watching Browny play in the early part of that year. Getting Foxtel later meant that I could watch every Tiger game all season long was great and allowed me to follow them even more. I always followed RichmondFC.com.au for the latest team news year in year out. I was overseas when we won the flag in 2017 but was lucky enough to watch the 2019 GF live at the MCG and soak it all in. Its even more rewarding when you have had to wait for the good years after so many dark years prior. Success feels even sweeter. Dimma will go down as one our best and I love watching Dusty play!. Feel for Lidda that he couldnt experience our recent success and I mentioned that to him at a pre drinks event prior to the 2019 GF. A great club with a proud history and the way the club is run it aligns with my views on life. Go Tiges forever!

Last edited:
Started following the Tigers in 2001 since I first developed an interest in football then, I picked Richmond as my team since other kids in school supported the team that their father supported. My parents are not interested in sport although when I asked my Dad which team he supported he said Richmond because he was born in the hospital. I attended my first game late in the home and away season of 2001 against West Coast at the stadium which was known by the name Colonial Stadium, I remember an up and about Tigers team defeating the cellar dweller Eagles comfortably and Richo kicking 4.4. I also recall it being Joel Bowdens 100th game as was displayed on the banner. Due to living in the country during my childhood years and living with immediate family whom were not interested in football I was only able to attend about 1 game a year usually with my grandfather whom was football mad. I only started to regularly attend games from 2016 when my MCC membership came through and since then its been pretty damn good with Richmond only losing one game at the G that I have attended since. In 2019 I was able to attend the grand final since they let in restricted members in due to there being enough space in the walkup seating in the members reserve. I knew since GWS were in the grand final that I would have a chance to buy a ticket but I had no idea that I was even going to be able to go until the morning of the grand final when the MCC made the announcement to their Facebook page. Even then I had to be only of the quickest to buy tickets at 11am, once I got into the G there was standing room only so I had an obscured view of the game however I didn't care it was still amazing.

I was born in 1980 and remember following footy from about 1985.

My dad was nominally a Saints supporter. My mum's siblings and her mum were all Collingwood. My grandfather was mad Richmond. These grandparents, and my mum in her first few years of life, had lived in Abbotsford, near the CUB brewery, and had a strong tribal connection to the suburbs of Collingwood and Richmond. I only learnt later in life that my mum had influenced me to pick Richmond, so that her dad had an ally in the family!

I grew up in Mont Albert in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, and there was a lot of very socioeconomically privileged kids. Every kid at my primary school barrracked for Melbourne, Hawthorn, or Essendon. I was the only Richmond supporter in my year level. We finished in the bottom 4 or 5 every year of my primary schooling, including a couple of wooden spoons. My parents identified with the Irish-Catholic working class culture from which they came, even though they had ended up living in Mont Albert. Me being the only Richmond supporter at my school, and Richmond being terrible and the other kids being utterly contemptuous of them, was a bit of a reminder that I was different from the other kids in the school, most of whom went on to elite private schools.

I was so mortified in one of the wooden spoon years that I asked my mum to buy me a pair of Essendon socks to wear to 'Footy Clinic' (now Auskick) on a Saturday morning. She duly bought them, but I couldn't bring myself to wear them, and instead wore my Richmond socks but pushed them down so that all you could see was the black!

Another time, at an extended family gathering when I was about 10, there was a newspaper with a cardboard VFL ladder and moveable teams. I announced I couldn't barrack for Richmond anymore, and put all the teams that other family members baracked for - the Saints, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon, as well as Richmond - into a hat, and decided I'd pull one out, and they would be my new team. I kept pulling out teams other than Richmond, but I basically rigged it so that when Richmond finally came out of the hat I decided that was the 'real' pick, and so Richmond would remain my team. Again, I couldn't bring myself to abandon the Tigers, no matter how heartbreaking it was to follow them!

I still remember 1995, and how novel and exciting it was for Richmond to be half decent. I remember going to the Richmond-Carlton final in 2001, and being so proud of the boys. I remember going to losing finals against Carlton, and North, in the mid 2010s, when we were favourites. I was so, so, so, disappointed. I felt like the club was cursed.

I got my first professional job, as a physio, in 2003, in Mill Park in the outer northern suburbs. It seemed like every second one of my patients was a Richmond supporter, the first time in my life I'd been surrounded by other Tigers. I realised how much footy in Melbourne gives you a lesson in the socioeconomic, demographic, and cultural history of the city, including migrations from inner to outer suburbs.

I moved to Sydney in 2015. I had watched the GF with the same bunch of mates every year since we were 13, and the GF had been my favourite event of the year. 2017 was the first year I wouldn't watch it with them. Months earlier, my wife had organised a 3 day hiking trip for that weekend in the Blue Mountains. When Richmond made the GF I cancelled the trip. I ended up watching the game with my wife in a pub in the Blue Mountains, as the only real AFL fans there. I'm not an extrovert at all, but when we won I jumped up and belted out the song to the whole pub, who were a bit stunned, but gave me a cheer lol. In 2019, I forked out a shitload of money for a corporate GF ticket after we won the prelim, as it was the only way I could get to the game. There was one other Richmond supporter in the corporate bay, and we were both going crazy from start to finish, amongst all the suits. Afterwards I went to Swan St and just talked with random people about the Tiges all night. Being there with the other supporters was almost as good as the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back