Club History Your Top 10 Swans Memories

Remove this Banner Ad

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I've been thinking about starting a thread like this for quite a while, but have only now finally got around to it. Everyone on this board is obviously a die-hard fan and while there will undoubtedly be some moments that come up in everyone's lists, I think there could be some really interesting entries, particularly from those posters who have been following the Swans for far longer than I have (which is over 20 years now - YIKES!).

So let us all know your top 10 Swans memories and give a bit of a story/reason why it makes your list. Here's mine:

#1 - Grand Final, 2012 vs Hawthorn - The first and only grand final I've ever been to and it was an absolutely fantastic experience. We flew down a couple of days early and took in the parade and soaked up the atmosphere of a whole city against the red & white. Breakfast at the Vic Markets and then finally making our way to the G for an absolute classic, having a birds eye view of the Malceski sealer. Brilliant stuff.

#2 - Semi-Final, 2005 vs Geelong - This very nearly came out as #1, but you can't really go past a GF experience. The game was essentially over at three-quarter time and dead and buried after Geelong's first goal of the quarter, but after Nick Davis kicked two goals, the crowd absolutely came alive and after his third, there as no-one in our bay sitting down. We were right up the back of the bay behind the goals at the Randwick end and had to stand on our seats to get a good view and when the miracle of all miracles actually happened, the place ERUPTED. I've never heard a crowd that loud or seen as many grown men crying and hugging random strangers.

#3 - Round 18, 2015 vs Adelaide - Even thinking back to this day makes my eyes get a little watery. The way the Sydney fans rallied around an absolute champion of the sport when he was being attacked from all sides was just a thrill to be a part of. Some things transcend the sporting field and the applause at the 7 minute mark of the 3rd quarter was spine-chilling. Also, having the perfect view behind Jetta's goal to start the game was pretty special too.

#4 - Round 10, 1999 vs Collingwood - This was back in the day where you could get tickets to the game at local train stations. Tickets went on sale at 11am though, so I had to skip out of maths class, sprint to the train station, jump the gates because the ticketing system wasn't working there, catch the train 3 stops away and then finally get the tickets, returning to school to find that my mates dogged me and didn't pack up my stuff so I had to front up to my maths teacher (a renowned bastard). I kept the handful of grass I swiped from right where Plugger kicked his 1300th in a bag stuck on my wall for years after.

#5 - Grand Final, 2005 vs West Coast - Does this need any explaining? I managed to get my hands on a ticket, but had to pass because I was booked in to look at wedding reception venues in the Hunter Valley and was already in trouble with my fiance for "not caring enough" about the plans. Watching it on TV knowing I could've been there was a bittersweet experience.

#6 - Round 19, 2014 vs Essendon - I honestly don't remember this game at all except for the fact that I got to play a game of AFL 9s at half-time instead of the Auskick kids. Managed to kick a goal in front of 30,000 people and I wore a go-pro on my head the whole time for proof: .

#7 - Round 22, 2012 vs Hawthorn - Even though we lost this one in a nailbiter thanks to a rubbish call from the umpire NOT to award a 50m penalty against Shaun Burgoyne (which made me lose my voice for the next day), this was the moment when I knew we were going to win the flag.

#8 - Round 12, 2006 vs Collingwood - This was also another loss, but it's only memorable because it was part of my bucks night. Everyone was bored by half-time, so one of my fairly drunk mates decided to announce to everyone around us that I was about to get married every time a goal was scored. It started just standing on the seats and shouting out to the people around us, then running out to the aisle, then ended up with us standing on the fence behind the goals announcing it to the whole bay with security trying to pull us down.

#9 - Preliminary Final, 2012 vs Collingwood - The Lewis Jetta goal when it became obvious we were gonna break the Magpie at ANZ hoodoo and head to the granny. That slingshot gameplan was incredible when it came off.

#10 - Round 15, 1999 vs Melbourne - My first Swans match on the hallowed turf of the MCG was against the Demons (who weren't completely rubbish at that point in time). One of my mates is a diehard Melbourne supporter, so we caught the train down for the weekend and saw three games at the G (hearing the Richmond song at the end of their win was also pretty awesome), culminating in a win for the Bloods. My mate got pretty sick of me waking him up constantly on the ridiculously boring train ride home with "Cheer cheer the red and the white ...", but my discman had run out of batteries and I had nothing else to do.

OK. Your turn.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I've been thinking about starting a thread like this for quite a while, but have only now finally got around to it. Everyone on this board is obviously a die-hard fan and while there will undoubtedly be some moments that come up in everyone's lists, I think there could be some really interesting entries, particularly from those posters who have been following the Swans for far longer than I have (which is over 20 years now - YIKES!).

So let us all know your top 10 Swans memories and give a bit of a story/reason why it makes your list. Here's mine:

#1 - Grand Final, 2012 vs Hawthorn - The first and only grand final I've ever been to and it was an absolutely fantastic experience. We flew down a couple of days early and took in the parade and soaked up the atmosphere of a whole city against the red & white. Breakfast at the Vic Markets and then finally making our way to the G for an absolute classic, having a birds eye view of the Malceski sealer. Brilliant stuff.

#2 - Semi-Final, 2005 vs Geelong - This very nearly came out as #1, but you can't really go past a GF experience. The game was essentially over at three-quarter time and dead and buried after Geelong's first goal of the quarter, but after Nick Davis kicked two goals, the crowd absolutely came alive and after his third, there as no-one in our bay sitting down. We were right up the back of the bay behind the goals at the Randwick end and had to stand on our seats to get a good view and when the miracle of all miracles actually happened, the place ERUPTED. I've never heard a crowd that loud or seen as many grown men crying and hugging random strangers.

#3 - Round 18, 2015 vs Adelaide - Even thinking back to this day makes my eyes get a little watery. The way the Sydney fans rallied around an absolute champion of the sport when he was being attacked from all sides was just a thrill to be a part of. Some things transcend the sporting field and the applause at the 7 minute mark of the 3rd quarter was spine-chilling. Also, having the perfect view behind Jetta's goal to start the game was pretty special too.

#4 - Round 10, 1999 vs Collingwood - This was back in the day where you could get tickets to the game at local train stations. Tickets went on sale at 11am though, so I had to skip out of maths class, sprint to the train station, jump the gates because the ticketing system wasn't working there, catch the train 3 stops away and then finally get the tickets, returning to school to find that my mates dogged me and didn't pack up my stuff so I had to front up to my maths teacher (a renowned bastard). I kept the handful of grass I swiped from right where Plugger kicked his 1300th in a bag stuck on my wall for years after.

#5 - Grand Final, 2005 vs West Coast - Does this need any explaining? I managed to get my hands on a ticket, but had to pass because I was booked in to look at wedding reception venues in the Hunter Valley and was already in trouble with my fiance for "not caring enough" about the plans. Watching it on TV knowing I could've been there was a bittersweet experience.

#6 - Round 19, 2014 vs Essendon - I honestly don't remember this game at all except for the fact that I got to play a game of AFL 9s at half-time instead of the Auskick kids. Managed to kick a goal in front of 30,000 people and I wore a go-pro on my head the whole time for proof: .

#7 - Round 22, 2012 vs Hawthorn - Even though we lost this one in a nailbiter thanks to a rubbish call from the umpire NOT to award a 50m penalty against Shaun Burgoyne (which made me lose my voice for the next day), this was the moment when I knew we were going to win the flag.

#8 - Round 12, 2006 vs Collingwood - This was also another loss, but it's only memorable because it was part of my bucks night. Everyone was bored by half-time, so one of my fairly drunk mates decided to announce to everyone around us that I was about to get married every time a goal was scored. It started just standing on the seats and shouting out to the people around us, then running out to the aisle, then ended up with us standing on the fence behind the goals announcing it to the whole bay with security trying to pull us down.

#9 - Preliminary Final, 2012 vs Collingwood - The Lewis Jetta goal when it became obvious we were gonna break the Magpie at ANZ hoodoo and head to the granny. That slingshot gameplan was incredible when it came off.

#10 - Round 15, 1999 vs Melbourne - My first Swans match on the hallowed turf of the MCG was against the Demons (who weren't completely rubbish at that point in time). One of my mates is a diehard Melbourne supporter, so we caught the train down for the weekend and saw three games at the G (hearing the Richmond song at the end of their win was also pretty awesome), culminating in a win for the Bloods. My mate got pretty sick of me waking him up constantly on the ridiculously boring train ride home with "Cheer cheer the red and the white ...", but my discman had run out of batteries and I had nothing else to do.

OK. Your turn.

Great thread and will post my top 10 shortly. But if that was my fiance in 2005 she would now be an ex.

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Great thread and will post my top 10 shortly. But if that was my fiance in 2005 she would now be an ex.
After the fact she said that she would've been OK if I had gone to Melbourne instead of looking at venues, but we all know it wouldn't have actually been OK. A minor quibble though, because we've been married over 10 years now and she shared the 2012 GF experience with me. All is long forgiven!

Great thread idea, won't name 10 though because we have a heap of mutuals! But a moment i'll never forget is our last quarter in the '05 prelim against the Saints. We were written off all year as 'ugly ducklings' that were only capable of flooding and low scoring shitfights and given no chance of beating the Saints that night but we came out in that final 30 minutes and absolutely blew them out of the water. It was champagne football at its' finest.

Also this was back in the days of delayed broadcasts and Mum had checked the live scores when it was 3/4 time on TV and couldn't contain her excitement so had to tell me that we were in the big dance, it was an amazing feeling watching it without the stress of the result...especially after watching the Cats' semi the week before (which was live due to being in NSW) and just about going into cardiac arrest.

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm going to choose 10 with the aim of having not a single one on your list...even though there is a fair bit of overlap in reality:

1. Beating Geelong at KP in 2011. I'd gone up to sydney to see us play the sts the week before and we really were very very good but missed a lot of shots at goal on the day. I thought we were actually a very good chance against the Cats despite their virtually unbeaten run at the time. Seeing garry rohan take off and kick the goal in the first quarter was really special.

2. Essendon 1996. Not a lot needs to be said. the come back against geelong in 2005 was extraordinary but this was genuinely amazing as well.

3. Port 2003 - its funny because I do think the 2003 team was the best I've ever seen from us. It was so quick moving the ball from one end to the other. This game was one which i didn't attend having gone the week before to see Micky O do his hamstring at the MCG at a non important moment in a game we were always going to win against the dees. So I watched it on the TV and along with the Sts game in 2005 is one of my all time faves

4. Sts 2005. I was sitting behind the goals at the end we were kicking to in the last quarter. The angst that went around the ground when people said Barry had whacked someone meant that there was a fair amount of despair about the following week. but the joy associated with that last quarter is amazing - particularly since we seemed like we were out of the game every where except on the scoreboard at 3/4 time.

5. Stopping saints unbeaten run in 2009/10 ? Can't remember which year it was but it was the game which was made famous for nick riewoldts mark as well as fraser gehrig not being able to catch a cold. fun times.

6. 2007-2010 watching adam goodes against collingwood. We'd lose every time but he'd be the best on ground. My youngest son was born in september 2007 the day we lost another game (a final this time) to the pies but he was again the best on ground by a country mile.

7. Beating the crows in about 1995 after being a billion points down at 3/4 time - i still remember the bloke next to me giving it to tony mcguiness like there was no tomorrow.

8. beating the dees in 1997 and being sure that we were going to win the flag that year. I remember lockett subsequently got rubbed out and shannon grant left but for that day it felt like we could beat anyone

9.beating north in 1996 at princes park - wowee one paul kelly was outstanding that day

10. 2006 - I know the result went bad, but the goal goodes kicked just after 3/4 time - the roar was so loud that i really couldnt hear for about five minutes after. i still look at that moment with a what if grin on my face

Some of my worst moments:

1. 2014.

2. 2016.

3. 1996.

4. the saints beating us in 2004 at the MCG in finals. the rain. the poor skills. mark blake playing a blinder.

5. matthew lloyd kicking about 14 at the mcg. i hate the bombers and it was just terrible to watch

6. steve alessio kicking a goal after the siren or just before the siren to have essendon come from nowhere to beat us in 2001 when they were virtually unbeatable

7. 2010 or 2011 when the dogs came back and beat us in semi final at MCG and hall was playing for them and we really should have won but for bradshaw missing from the goal square

8. 2016 when richmond kicked a goal after the siren

9. the worst game ive ever watched - sts swans circa 2002 just before eade got sacked. we were so so so bad that a team that had lost by like a combined 500 points in the previous 4 weeks drew with us - a draw that we only managed because one of the sts missed from 2 metres out with about 30 seconds to go.

10. when the kangas won from 60 points down or whatever it was at 3/4 time

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Ill go for some randoms that doesn't include the obvious. Not in any order

1. 1986 beating pies at vic park by a point
2 1986 beatibg ess at windy hill
3 2006 qf final vs eagles, think this win doesn't get the accolades it deserves due to losing the gf. But in my opinion the best swans victory of all time excluding the 2 gfs
4 1995 beating pies in rd 22 and preventing them from playing finals
5 1989 beating ess at windy hill with Terry Thripp kicking the winner late
6 1990 rd1 coming from 6 goals down to beat carlton
7 2011 the last quarter gary rohan show to beat wce
8 1989 bernard toohey kicking the late goal to beat geelong
9 1992 a very ordinary swans team beat carlton at princess park
10 2002 beating hawks at MCG, nothing special about the game but it would unfortunately be the last time id watch a swans game with my dad.

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm going to choose 10 with the aim of having not a single one on your list...even though there is a fair bit of overlap in reality:

1. Beating Geelong at KP in 2011. I'd gone up to sydney to see us play the sts the week before and we really were very very good but missed a lot of shots at goal on the day. I thought we were actually a very good chance against the Cats despite their virtually unbeaten run at the time. Seeing garry rohan take off and kick the goal in the first quarter was really special.

2. Essendon 1996. Not a lot needs to be said. the come back against geelong in 2005 was extraordinary but this was genuinely amazing as well.

3. Port 2003 - its funny because I do think the 2003 team was the best I've ever seen from us. It was so quick moving the ball from one end to the other. This game was one which i didn't attend having gone the week before to see Micky O do his hamstring at the MCG at a non important moment in a game we were always going to win against the dees. So I watched it on the TV and along with the Sts game in 2005 is one of my all time faves

4. Sts 2005. I was sitting behind the goals at the end we were kicking to in the last quarter. The angst that went around the ground when people said Barry had whacked someone meant that there was a fair amount of despair about the following week. but the joy associated with that last quarter is amazing - particularly since we seemed like we were out of the game every where except on the scoreboard at 3/4 time.

5. Stopping saints unbeaten run in 2009/10 ? Can't remember which year it was but it was the game which was made famous for nick riewoldts mark as well as fraser gehrig not being able to catch a cold. fun times.

6. 2007-2010 watching adam goodes against collingwood. We'd lose every time but he'd be the best on ground. My youngest son was born in september 2007 the day we lost another game (a final this time) to the pies but he was again the best on ground by a country mile.

7. Beating the crows in about 1995 after being a billion points down at 3/4 time - i still remember the bloke next to me giving it to tony mcguiness like there was no tomorrow.

8. beating the dees in 1997 and being sure that we were going to win the flag that year. I remember lockett subsequently got rubbed out and shannon grant left but for that day it felt like we could beat anyone

9.beating north in 1996 at princes park - wowee one paul kelly was outstanding that day

10. 2006 - I know the result went bad, but the goal goodes kicked just after 3/4 time - the roar was so loud that i really couldnt hear for about five minutes after. i still look at that moment with a what if grin on my face

Some of my worst moments:

1. 2014.

2. 2016.

3. 1996.

4. the saints beating us in 2004 at the MCG in finals. the rain. the poor skills. mark blake playing a blinder.

5. matthew lloyd kicking about 14 at the mcg. i hate the bombers and it was just terrible to watch

6. steve alessio kicking a goal after the siren or just before the siren to have essendon come from nowhere to beat us in 2001 when they were virtually unbeatable

7. 2010 or 2011 when the dogs came back and beat us in semi final at MCG and hall was playing for them and we really should have won but for bradshaw missing from the goal square

8. 2016 when richmond kicked a goal after the siren

9. the worst game ive ever watched - sts swans circa 2002 just before eade got sacked. we were so so so bad that a team that had lost by like a combined 500 points in the previous 4 weeks drew with us - a draw that we only managed because one of the sts missed from 2 metres out with about 30 seconds to go.

10. when the kangas won from 60 points down or whatever it was at 3/4 time

That's a good list of lesser celebrated moments. I'm amazed that you can clearly remember them to be honest. So many games just meld into one another for me!

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Ill go for some randoms that doesn't include the obvious. Not in any order

1. 1986 beating pies at vic park by a point
2 1986 beatibg ess at windy hill
3 2006 qf final vs eagles, think this win doesn't get the accolades it deserves due to losing the gf. But in my opinion the best swans victory of all time excluding the 2 gfs
4 1995 beating pies in rd 22 and preventing them from playing finals
5 1989 beating ess at windy hill with Terry Thripp kicking the winner late
6 1990 rd1 coming from 6 goals down to beat carlton
7 2011 the last quarter gary rohan show to beat wce
8 1989 bernard toohey kicking the late goal to beat geelong
9 1992 a very ordinary swans team beat carlton at princess park
10 2002 beating hawks at MCG, nothing special about the game but it would unfortunately be the last time id watch a swans game with my dad.

#3 - That was definitely a cracking game and it gave us the famous footage of Micky O absolutely serving it up to the WC cheer squad.

#10 - So many memories are based on the people you go to the footy with. Sorry to hear about this one though.

A few of my faves not being finals are

Smashing Geelong by 100+ at scg season or 2 back
The day we signed Buddy
Ditto Tippo
Smashing Richmond at telstra dome by 100+
Winning at Kardinya for Macca
The whole series of matches against WC around 2005
Seeing Schneider kick a few goals against Melb on anzac day as a rookie
Competing against a rampant essendon when they were unbeatable only to lose with a kick at/after siren. Mott? Meikljohn?
Watching goodesy get a couple Brownlows
Watching Kell win the brownlow in 95

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

The day we signed Buddy
Ditto Tippo
Competing against a rampant essendon when they were unbeatable only to lose with a kick at/after siren. Mott? Meikljohn?
That first one almost made my list too. Geelong were on a bit of a down year, but still a very good football side, so to beat them so brutally yet clinically was a sight to behold. If I remember right, it was a Thursday night and I got a bit of a crew from work together to walk up to the SCG. Great night all round!

The day we signed Buddy
Ditto Tippo

At Etihad? (well probably Colonial Stadium back then) I reckon it was Alessio

At Etihad? (well probably Colonial Stadium back then) I reckon it was Alessio
Nah im sure we had a shot towards the end and one of our ruckman absolutely scuffed the kick. Now im racking my brain.

Round 9 2002 Sydney v Essendon- An historical match for the Swans as they locked horns with a formidable Essendon combination in the opening match at the Olympic Stadium. This game also obtained extra significance in the context of the season for both sides. Essendon, the previous season’s runner up had commenced the 2002 season admirably before serious injuries claimed the likes of elite players in Hird, Lloyd and Misiti and suddenly the once invincible line-up were increasingly vulnerable. The Swans on the other hand endured a horrid run of form despite fielding a relatively talented line-up registering just 3 victories and a draw in the lead up to this match. The heat was certainly on senior coach Rodney Eade due to reported fallouts with board members and a dubious game plan in place. This was a crucial clash to say the least.

Following impressive pre-match festivities the Bombers claimed the early advantage and maintained a 3 goal buffer throughout the first half mainly due to the efforts of Steve Alessio up forward with three majors. However the Swans persisted and gradually eased back into the contest. When Swan goal sneak Matthew Nicks converted his 4th goal to place his side in the lead, the momentum was certainly with the red and white. But cool heads prevailed for the Bombers and after placing their noses in front battled grimly to defend their slender lead. In the dying seconds the result hinged upon ninth gamer Ricky Mott who took a towering mark deep in the forward line. The big ruckman had the chance to ultimately win the match for his side but inexcusably missed from 20 metres out. The look on coach Rodney Eade’s face said it all as the Dons held on in a cliff-hanger by just 2 points. Overall the Stadium’s opening night was a success as almost 55 000 ventured to the ground to witness the thriller. For the trivia buffs, tall ruckman Mott would see out the season for the Swans before unsuccessfully trying to resurrect his career at Carlton 2 years later, running out onto the field twice in the navy blue Guernsey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strangways

Draftee
Feb 8, 2012
strangways
AFL Club
Sydney
1, 1970 South V Collingwood Lake Oval 17 points down in time on and kicked 3 goals to win by a point.
When we hit the front the crowd just ran onto the ground and the siren hadn't even rung.
This is still my favorite game. (Stevie Hoffman you star)
2, 1977 South V North Arden St we had to win this game and rely on Carlton to lose to make the finals, 4 goals down at 3/4 time we kicked 6 goals to 1 and won by 10 points and Carlton got beat.
3 1997 Versus Essendon SCG came from behind in the last minutes to beat them by a point again. Mark Bayes starred in the last quarter.
4, 1996 Versus Carlton at Princess Park came from behind in the last quarter to beat them Lockett struggled, OB kicked 6 goals and Kelly played his best game I reckon.
5, 1978 Versus Collingwood Lake Oval we had a real lot of injuries and all the experts expected Collingwood to win by 10 goals but we led all day to win by 17 points
6,7 & 8 1987 the 3 games when we kicked over 30 goals in a row, especially the one against Essendon won by 163 points.
9, 1970 versus Geelong the famous apple throwing game. Another game we had to win to clinch a spot in the finals.
Doug Wade shooting for goal to put Geelong back in front with minutes to go and just as he kicks it someone throws an apple which causes the ball to slide of Wade's boot so he could only kick a point.
10 1996 Versus Richmond Waverley Park another come from behind game, Richo gives a free kick away in the last minutes which costs them a goal and we clear the ball Lockett gets the ball on the wing and just kicks it forward to no one and the siren rings and we win by a point.

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
1, 1970 South V Collingwood Lake Oval 17 points down in time on and kicked 3 goals to win by a point.
When we hit the front the crowd just ran onto the ground and the siren hadn't even rung.
This is still my favorite game. (Stevie Hoffman you star)
2, 1977 South V North Arden St we had to win this game and rely on Carlton to lose to make the finals, 4 goals down at 3/4 time we kicked 6 goals to 1 and won by 10 points and Carlton got beat.
3 1997 Versus Essendon SCG came from behind in the last minutes to beat them by a point again. Mark Bayes starred in the last quarter.
4, 1996 Versus Carlton at Princess Park came from behind in the last quarter to beat them Lockett struggled, OB kicked 6 goals and Kelly played his best game I reckon.
5, 1978 Versus Collingwood Lake Oval we had a real lot of injuries and all the experts expected Collingwood to win by 10 goals but we led all day to win by 17 points
6,7 & 8 1987 the 3 games when we kicked over 30 goals in a row, especially the one against Essendon won by 163 points.
9, 1970 versus Geelong the famous apple throwing game. Another game we had to win to clinch a spot in the finals.
Doug Wade shooting for goal to put Geelong back in front with minutes to go and just as he kicks it someone throws an apple which causes the ball to slide of Wade's boot so he could only kick a point.
10 1996 Versus Richmond Waverley Park another come from behind game, Richo gives a free kick away in the last minutes which costs them a goal and we clear the ball Lockett gets the ball on the wing and just kicks it forward to no one and the siren rings and we win by a point.

Fantastic stuff! That run of 30 goal games would've been incredible to see.

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Nah im sure we had a shot towards the end and one of our ruckman absolutely scuffed the kick. Now im racking my brain.

Round 9 2002 Sydney v Essendon- An historical match for the Swans as they locked horns with a formidable Essendon combination in the opening match at the Olympic Stadium. This game also obtained extra significance in the context of the season for both sides. Essendon, the previous season’s runner up had commenced the 2002 season admirably before serious injuries claimed the likes of elite players in Hird, Lloyd and Misiti and suddenly the once invincible line-up were increasingly vulnerable. The Swans on the other hand endured a horrid run of form despite fielding a relatively talented line-up registering just 3 victories and a draw in the lead up to this match. The heat was certainly on senior coach Rodney Eade due to reported fallouts with board members and a dubious game plan in place. This was a crucial clash to say the least.

Following impressive pre-match festivities the Bombers claimed the early advantage and maintained a 3 goal buffer throughout the first half mainly due to the efforts of Steve Alessio up forward with three majors. However the Swans persisted and gradually eased back into the contest. When Swan goal sneak Matthew Nicks converted his 4th goal to place his side in the lead, the momentum was certainly with the red and white. But cool heads prevailed for the Bombers and after placing their noses in front battled grimly to defend their slender lead. In the dying seconds the result hinged upon ninth gamer Ricky Mott who took a towering mark deep in the forward line. The big ruckman had the chance to ultimately win the match for his side but inexcusably missed from 20 metres out. The look on coach Rodney Eade’s face said it all as the Dons held on in a cliff-hanger by just 2 points. Overall the Stadium’s opening night was a success as almost 55 000 ventured to the ground to witness the thriller. For the trivia buffs, tall ruckman Mott would see out the season for the Swans before unsuccessfully trying to resurrect his career at Carlton 2 years later, running out onto the field twice in the navy blue Guernsey.

You just knew the big boofhead was going to stuff it up too. I don't think anyone in the crowd or watching on tele had a single iota of confidence in him. Thinking back, I reckon it would've been exactly the same for Ricky himself. An absolute shank of a kick that stamped both his and Rocket's papers.

SouthSwans

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2005
Glen Iris, Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Liverpool, Celtics
1. 2012 GF v Hawks
2. 2005 GF v Eagles
3. 2005 Semi v Cats
4. 2005 Prelim v Saints
5. 2006 QF v Eagles
6. 2012 Prelim v Pies
7. 2003 QF v Port
8. 1999 Plugger 1300
9. 2010 Kirk & Roos SCG Farewell
10. 2011 EF v Saints

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
That first one almost made my list too. Geelong were on a bit of a down year, but still a very good football side, so to beat them so brutally yet clinically was a sight to behold. If I remember right, it was a Thursday night and I got a bit of a crew from work together to walk up to the SCG. Great night all round!
Was a perfect Thursday night for footy. Calm night, a great crowd atmosphere that descended into a sort frivolity and anticipation as approaching the 100 got closer. My god we wanted that 100 points.
Tippo missed an absolute sitter about 30 seconds in, I was spewing and hoping it didn't cost us.
Was also indigenous round, could just tell the boys set themselves for it.

Was a perfect Thursday night for footy. Calm night, a great crowd atmosphere that descended into a sort frivolity and anticipation as approaching the 100 got closer. My god we wanted that 100 points.
Tippo missed an absolute sitter about 30 seconds in, I was spewing and hoping it didn't cost us.
Was also indigenous round, could just tell the boys set themselves for it.

My ex gf is neighbours/close family friends with Stephen Wells and I asked him about that game at a BBQ one night and he said it was by far and away the best performance he'd ever seen against the Cats in his time at the footy club.

Kolah

Senior List
Dec 29, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Our Swans have given joy on so many occasions that it's almost embarrassing to say my favourite Swans' moment is Round 22, 1996.

Swans versus West Coast.

1996. What a year!

Early in the season, you could fire a cannon in any direction around the SCG with no chance of hitting a soul. Late in the year, we set an attendance record playing the Cats.

Round 22. The ladder position stakes were high for both teams.

Over 30,000 turned up on a Saturday night despite the forecast of stormy weather.

Stormy? A hurricane crossed with a typhoon more like. The heavens opened. Rain sheeted down. The wind howled to one end. Lightning turned night to day and thunder shook the stands. A decent shore break was being whipped up on the sea that had once been an oval.

It was totally surreal (not to mention a major OH&S hazard that you'd never get away with today).

I remember the last quarter began with scores tied. The Eagles were kicking with the gale.

The Swans flooded their forward line, defending to the death. Time and again, I remember players throwing themselves in, fearing for neither life nor limb. The boys had lost too many times over too many years to give this one away.

We screamed ourselves hoarse.

Then, somehow, the ball came loose. Someone, probably Paul Kelly because it always was, scrubbed the ball down field, where Derek Kickett waited, un-manned.

Derek snatched up the ball and ran for it (not very fast, admittedly, given the weather and that it was Derek). The entire West Coast team was in desperate pursuit.

Too late! Derek kicked the goal. The Swannies won (and went on to a grand final)!!!!!

We went hysterical. Sure we got home soaked but nothing could wipe the smile off our faces that week.

Of course, the pedants will say that the Swans won comfortably by 35 points, citing the record books and such. Mysteriously, the DVD of the game I bought, and treasure still, seems to back up their claim.

But I remember. One of the greatest wins of all. Derek's goal in the last quarter, snatching victory in the face of the end of the world. The joy of it brings a smile still.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back