Your top 5 Anime's of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Evangelion is a flawed masterpiece. Honestly if it wasn't for those last two episodes, the series is pretty much perfect. End of Evangelion is the show's real ending anyway. Just ignore rebuild and episodes 25 and 26.

Top 5 Anime:

1. Cowboy Bebop (just perfect, amazing dub too)
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion (minus eps 25/26 + add EoE)
3. Ghibli Collection (well 90% of it)
4. Akira (one of the most influenital anime's ever)
5. Ghost in the Shell (SAC was good too)

Honorable mentions to Samurai Champloo. I didn't like it at first but after the 2nd or 3rd time I love it to death.

Evangelion is a flawed masterpiece. Honestly if it wasn't for those last two episodes, the series is pretty much perfect. End of Evangelion is the show's real ending anyway. Just ignore rebuild and episodes 25 and 26.

Top 5 Anime:

1. Cowboy Bebop (just perfect, amazing dub too)
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion (minus eps 25/26 + add EoE)
3. Ghibli Collection (well 90% of it)
4. Akira (one of the most influenital anime's ever)
5. Ghost in the Shell (SAC was good too)

Honorable mentions to Samurai Champloo. I didn't like it at first but after the 2nd or 3rd time I love it to death.
I know I'm the minority but I preferred Champloo to Bebop. I can see why people think Bebop is better, It has a far more diverse plot & better developed characters, but I don't know, I just found Champloo more entertaining.

Can't bring myself to watch Evangelion. By all reports it is awesome, but I watch anime to unwind and it sounds far too depressing.

I know I'm the minority but I preferred Champloo to Bebop. I can see why people think Bebop is better, It has a far more diverse plot & better developed characters, but I don't know, I just found Champloo more entertaining.

Can't bring myself to watch Evangelion. By all reports it is awesome, but I watch anime to unwind and it sounds far too depressing.

Evangelion is all over the place. I've never seen a show with a bigger identity crisis. It goes from being a fairly stock-standard high school soap opera with robots, to a psychological/biblical/apocalypse thriller. I can understand why some people wouldn't like it. Pretty much every main character in the show is suffering from some kind of personality disorder and most don't come off as very likable. Also the show deals with some pretty heavy themes. It's not always fun to watch.

Agree with you that Champloo is an awesome show. Very stylish, good action, great soundtrack and a decent story. It's on par with Bebop for the most part. There isn't much of a gap in quality. You pretty much nailed it already but the main characters are better in Bebop. I'd say the story is better too. Both shows follow the same stand-alone episode formula with a few two-parters thrown in for extra character development. Bebop does the latter much better though. Also I'd say Space Western is more interesting to me than Feudal Japan but that's a matter of personal preference.

Evangelion is all over the place. I've never seen a show with a bigger identity crisis. It goes from being a fairly stock-standard high school soap opera with robots, to a psychological/biblical/apocalypse thriller. I can understand why some people wouldn't like it. Pretty much every main character in the show is suffering from some kind of personality disorder and most don't come off as very likable. Also the show deals with some pretty heavy themes. It's not always fun to watch.

Agree with you that Champloo is an awesome show. Very stylish, good action, great soundtrack and a decent story. It's on par with Bebop for the most part. There isn't much of a gap in quality. You pretty much nailed it already but the main characters are better in Bebop. I'd say the story is better too. Both shows follow the same stand-alone episode formula with a few two-parters thrown in for extra character development. Bebop does the latter much better though. Also I'd say Space Western is more interesting to me than Feudal Japan but that's a matter of personal preference.
That sums it up perfectly. I am of the latter preference. I do like Space western/Sci-fi, but only to a point. Hence one of the reason's I don't think I would enjoy Evangelion. Though in saying that I had no problems with Gurren Lagann... Now there's a show that keeps going from strength to strength.

Is it safe to assume, based on that last sentence, that you are also a Trigun fan?

I couldn't name 5 favourites, but Ghost in the Shell is probably in my top 10 movies list more generally.

1. Berserk, the story, the music, the ending, the manga fills a few holes in the story but I think the music just adds so much to the mood(I actually prefer the anime over the manga, the manga just drags on)
2. Evangelion, bit all over the place as has been said but you can't really beat the story

those are the only 2 I really can just watch over and over, everything else is fairly forgetable

3. Noir, mostly for the action scenes
4. Ninja Scroll

can't think of a 5th stand out maybe Cowboy Bebop/Ghost in the Shell, Attack on Titan isn't bad either

found deathnote to be rubbish, just the same crap dragged on for so long,

Ninja Scroll...By a mile
Ghost in the shell, hope they make the live movie
Evangelion 1.01

But off the topic slightly, Ninja assassin is the closest live action movie I have seen to an anime

1. One piece - without a doubt my favourite even though it hasnt finished - Still remember smashing through 520 episodes in 3 weeks
2. Psycho Pass
3. Hunter x Hunter 2011
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Attack on Titan / Darker than Black s1.... dont have clear 5th choice

Some of my favourites.

Inuyasha: The first Manga and Anime I got into.
Angel Beats: Short series, but some really unique theological ideas
Needless: What's not to like about 4 naked women being shot out of a cannon?
One Piece: Love the humour.
K-On: I like the music, some clever playing.

1. DBZ
2. Naruto
3. Evangelion
4. Kenshin
5. Hunter x Hunter

It was hard picking only 5. Theres a few more I would like to mention like Beserk, Claymore, GTO, Initial D, Trigun, Avatar. All noteworthy and should get look in.

Updated top 5.

1. Steins;Gate - Great story, good characters, funny and massively depressing all at the same time.
2. Hunter x Hunter - Re-watched and it was even more enjoyable the second time around. Best shounen ever made.
3. One Punch Man - You can really just switch off and enjoy this show, very funny.
4. FMA: B - All time classic.
5. Attack on Titan - Great action, world and story. Gripes include a few characters voices in the dub and Erens constant emotional state but definitely worth watching.

Last edited:
1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Dragonball Z (Up to end of Cell)
3. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
4. Attack on Titan
5. Bleach (first major arc only, stopped because i couldnt get through all the filler)

Movies

1. Akira oooooft
2. Howls Moving Castle
Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop movie, spirited away all very good.

Been meaning to watch Slam Dunk/Basketball Club. Which one is better? I love basketball so i've been desperate to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Dragonball Z (Up to end of Cell)
3. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
4. Attack on Titan
5. Bleach (first major arc only, stopped because i couldnt get through all the filler)

Movies

1. Akira oooooft
2. Howls Moving Castle
Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop movie, spirited away all very good.

Been meaning to watch Slam Dunk/Basketball Club. Which one is better? I love basketball so i've been desperate to watch.
I've only seen Slam Dunk (well, read it) but it's one of the best.

- Castle in the Sky (Could probably list a few Ghibli but I'll leave it at that).
- Cowboy Bebop
- Ninja Scroll
- Street Fighter 2: V (TV series, mainly the 1st half, 2nd half has its issues. The movie has some pretty great fight sequences as well)
- Wolf Children

1. FMAB (The undisputed GOAT)
2. One Piece
3. DBZ
4. Code Geass
5. Mightiest Disciple Kenichi

Some series need more time to complete their story for me to put them in like MHA, Demon Slayer and Dr Stone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back