Your top 5 series/sitcoms ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Steve Coogan's a funny guy but I can't help but feel he'd be a horrible arrogant a-hole in real life.

Ricky Gervais is a more down to earth funny guy because he knows what it's like to be a normal bloke that works in an office.

It's like the pub test, I'd rather have a beer with Ricky as at least he'd chat to you, Steve would ignore you and talk to his agent on his phone.
Steve Coogan was middle class and came from everyone telling him he was great. For the English, that's pretty outrageous and generally leads to arrogance. I feel like his character in The Trip is basically 100% who he is.

Steve Coogan was middle class and came from everyone telling him he was great. For the English, that's pretty outrageous and generally leads to arrogance. I feel like his character in The Trip is basically 100% who he is.

Yeah The Trip is what I was basing it on, he thinks he's funnier than Rob Brydon, like when Rob does his Michael Caine impression he has to do it better.

Steve Coogan would be funny to go on a trip with but you'd always feel you were competing with him to see who's funnier.

Whereas a guy like Rob Brydon wouldn't get his nose out of joint if you were funnier than him like Lee Mack and David Mitchell on WILTY.

Homer getting in the moo moo is a corker. "What can I get for twenty cents?"
simpsons-icecream-truck.jpg

I think I've seen everything, I haven't read the books but I'd like to. Nearly knocked off Steve Coogan's autobiography as well. I think he's a massive, self-absorbed, uncritical ****** to be honest (comes across very self-worshipping with his family, never criticises the Catholicism except as a token in the book) but he seriously, seriously nails human nature. Only Gervais has gotten close. I do think there's an incredible amount of Coogan in Partridge... just like David Brent or George Costanza, these characters aren't as amazingly creative as you'd think...

Love Sidekick Simon. What'd you think of the new stuff, like Scissored Isle? I reckon the ecstasy thing is a great example of art imitating life...
fine ok that was a classic. But there aren't many after 6

Its is well known from those who were fans at the time that the who shot mr burns episode which finished season 6 is the Simpsons shark jumping episode. Just looking through season seven and none of their great episodes that had you in stitches are in it. Admittedly those episodes are better then what came after season 10 which is when the show went to the utter doghouse.
Really? I thought the general consensus was that The Principal and the Pauper was the jump the shark episode. Season 9 still had some great episodes but there were no real classics after that one.

Regardless of six or nine, getting past about three seasons and still being good – or in your apex, more specifically – is pretty stellar. Shows with 6,8 or 10 episodes flounder four years in these days. I understand the Simpsons isn't serialised, it isn't a drama, and there are really no arcs and you don't have to worry about character development, but it's still cool there's at least 150 really all-time eps of a show. You don't get that ever, really.

I still think the day The Simpsons ends is going to be genuinely massive for culture. I grew up reading s**t like Simpson Crazy, The Simpsons Channel, Last Exit to Springfield and trying to create my own blogs... I don't watch the new ones but it'll be a weird, melancholy, big moment when it ends.

Its is well known from those who were fans at the time that the who shot mr burns episode which finished season 6 is the Simpsons shark jumping episode. Just looking through season seven and none of their great episodes that had you in stitches are in it. Admittedly those episodes are better then what came after season 10 which is when the show went to the utter doghouse.
I was there at the time as well; I think that attitude comes from the fact that Who Shot Mr Burns was a disappointing episode in and of itself. However, just looking at season seven, King Size Homer, Homer the Smithers, Homerpalooza, Marge Be Not Proud, Much Apu About Nothing, the 138th Episode Spectacular are all classic Simpsons.

I say again, I think the view comes from the fact it set its own bar too high. If you watch a Simpsons episode from season 10, 11 or 12 and compare it to some of the popular sitcoms around today, the Simpsons is still well ahead of the pack.

I think I've seen everything, I haven't read the books but I'd like to. Nearly knocked off Steve Coogan's autobiography as well. I think he's a massive, self-absorbed, uncritical ****** to be honest (comes across very self-worshipping with his family, never criticises the Catholicism except as a token in the book) but he seriously, seriously nails human nature. Only Gervais has gotten close. I do think there's an incredible amount of Coogan in Partridge... just like David Brent or George Costanza, these characters aren't as amazingly creative as you'd think...

Love Sidekick Simon. What'd you think of the new stuff, like Scissored Isle? I reckon the ecstasy thing is a great example of art imitating life...

Loved Scissored Isle.

I'm genuinley not that bothered about Coogan outside of Partridge tbh. Oh and The Trip which I really like. I have no real interest in reading his autobiography though.

Gervais' career I've followed more closely, I've pretty much watched everything he's done and his XFM radio show is the funniest thing I've ever listened to or watched, but I've noticed that he's actually become a bit of a self-absorbed knob over the last few years.

What freaks me out about The Simpsons is it debuted during my last year of high school, and twenty seven years later it's still going. Incredible longevity.

The Simpsons actually started as a short on The Tracy Ullman Show in the late 80s, it was quite different to the show it became.

It was like the first season or two of The Simpsons where Homer had a different voice and was more serious rather than being a stupid oaf.

No one ever would have picked back then that The Simpsons would still be going today and be a cultural phenomenon.

Loved Scissored Isle.

I'm genuinley not that bothered about Coogan outside of Partridge tbh. Oh and The Trip which I really like. I have no real interest in reading his autobiography though.

Gervais' career I've followed more closely, I've pretty much watched everything he's done and his XFM radio show is the funniest thing I've ever listened to or watched, but I've noticed that he's actually become a bit of a self-absorbed knob over the last few years.
I got into him through Saxondale. I don't mind that show. It's almost the closest he got to teasing the line that Gervais has gone down (more endearingly looking at small, normal lives). Glad he didn't go down that route. I think the movie he did lately about the black woman or whatever sounds utter shite, but 24 Hour Party People is awesome – great movie.

Steve Coogan would have better coke.
Know he was bumming around with Courtney Love at some stage? The guy had, probably still has, a fairly salacious sort of life he manages to shield away a bit.

The Simpsons actually started as a short on The Tracy Ullman Show in the late 80s, it was quite different to the show it became.

It was like the first season or two of The Simpsons where Homer had a different voice and was more serious rather than being a stupid oaf.

No one ever would have picked back then that The Simpsons would still be going today and be a cultural phenomenon.
Dude who doesn't know this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drama

Mad Men
Ozark
Broadchurch
The Sopranos
Black Mirror

Comedy

Peep Show
Black Books
Inbetweeners
Fawlty Towers
Blackadder

I couldn’t put drama or action shows in the same list as comedies either.

Comedy:

1. Peep show
2. Seinfeld
3. Red Dwarf
4. The Office UK
5. The Inbetweeners

It is an out and out tragedy that the last two have only 30 episodes combined plus Christmas special and two inbetweener movies.

Peep show is honestly the best written show of any genre that’s ever existed as far as I’m concerned. In no other fictional universe has anything as ludicrous as the situations they get themselves into seemed so realistic.

Drama/Action:

1. Game Of Thrones
2. Breaking Bad
3. Lost
4. Walking Dead
5. Ripper Street

I know walking dead has had some stinker seasons but for the most part it has been really impressive for a genre that has been absolutely wrung dry
Dexter would be on that list if it stopped after maybe 5 seasons.

Peep show is honestly the best written show of any genre that’s ever existed as far as I’m concerned. In no other fictional universe has anything as ludicrous as the situations they get themselves into seemed so realistic.

I tend to agree.

Actually Peep Show is full of inconsistencies, loose ends that never get tied up, and poor character arcs (I hate Dobby going from nerdy IT chick to super-cool Indie hipster) but all of this just somehow fits into the universe of the show.

Also has two of the best supporting characters in TV history: Super Hans and Johnson

I tend to agree.

Actually Peep Show is full of inconsistencies, loose ends that never get tied up, and poor character arcs (I hate Dobby going from nerdy IT chick to super-cool Indie hipster) but all of this just somehow fits into the universe of the show.

Also has two of the best supporting characters in TV history: Super Hans and Johnson

Absolutely! But as much as some stories don’t get resolved, it has a much more consistent strike rate than a lot of shows, for drawing on past canon. I loved that April stayed in the show, Sarah kept returning so Jeremy could f*** her, Johnson and Big Suze, Nancy returned after leaving and everything that happened with her and Jez stayed in the narrative.

Johnson was f***ing sensational. Right up to his work at the bank. His little shot at mark where he says ‘I saw a photo on my computer this morning that I thought was a high definition of some dog s**t, but realised it was actually your sales record’ is probably the funniest thing I’ve ever heard.
Hans is freakishly good. The ‘just to whet the whistle?’ bit from his stag night is priceless.

Jeff is an underrated character too.

Absolutely! But as much as some stories don’t get resolved, it has a much more consistent strike rate than a lot of shows, for drawing on past canon. I loved that April stayed in the show, Sarah kept returning so Jeremy could f*** her, Johnson and Big Suze, Nancy returned after leaving and everything that happened with her and Jez stayed in the narrative.

I actually really disliked Nancy but I thought her and Jez were the best match.
I also love that April returned (Threeism in season 9 is a fantastic episode)

Johnson was f***ing sensational. Right up to his work at the bank. His little shot at mark where he says ‘I saw a photo on my computer this morning that I thought was a high definition of some dog s**t, but realised it was actually your sales record’ is probably the funniest thing I’ve ever heard.

"Don't be alarmed, Mark, it's just Tai Chi. Take a seat and I'll just power through.
It should take 45 minutes, I'm done in 10. Stick that up your dojo."

Hans is freakishly good. The ‘just to whet the whistle?’ bit from his stag night is priceless.

He has so many classic moments, but my favourite is the bit when he and Mark are in the bunker, and every time it goes back to them, Hans has gotten crazier and crazier.

"******* yellow bellied, YELLOW FEVER! Boning your bird? Classic Yellow"

Jeff is an underrated character too.

JEFF?!?!

I couldn’t put drama or action shows in the same list as comedies either.

Comedy:

1. Peep show
2. Seinfeld
3. Red Dwarf
4. The Office UK
5. The Inbetweeners

It is an out and out tragedy that the last two have only 30 episodes combined plus Christmas special and two inbetweener movies.

Drama/Action:

1. Game Of Thrones
2. Breaking Bad
3. Lost
4. Walking Dead
5. Ripper Street

I know walking dead has had some stinker seasons but for the most part it has been really impressive for a genre that has been absolutely wrung dry
Dexter would be on that list if it stopped after maybe 5 seasons.
Surely your reasons for excluding Dexter must apply to the Walking Dead. It’s got so poor, I just stopped at the last mid season break and couldn’t go on.

I actually really disliked Nancy but I thought her and Jez were the best match.
I also love that April returned (Threeism in season 9 is a fantastic episode)

"Don't be alarmed, Mark, it's just Tai Chi. Take a seat and I'll just power through.
It should take 45 minutes, I'm done in 10. Stick that up your dojo."

He has so many classic moments, but my favourite is the bit when he and Mark are in the bunker, and every time it goes back to them, Hans has gotten crazier and crazier.

"******* yellow bellied, YELLOW FEVER! Boning your bird? Classic Yellow"

JEFF?!?!

Hahahahahaha the bunker seen is so f***ing funny. ‘I just copped the snitch up the jacksie.’

Other notable Hans moments:
‘I’d take a bullet for her. I’d take a bullet up the arris for her. I'd take a ******* truncheon up the arris for this one. Or an umbrella. I would open an umbrella up inside my arris for this one.’

When he denies rooting Toni and tells Jez he was having a late night bongo lesson with her.

‘She hasn’t got a bongo. I’m right next door Hans, I could hear you.’
‘I was doing press-ups.’
‘Yeah well you seemed to really enjoy the last few A LOT.’

Jeff’s ever-present status is almost Newman-like.
The scene where Mark tells him what he’s allegedly been up to with his mum is brilliant.

Seinfeld (The best ever)
Curb your Enthusiasm
The Office UK
IT Crowd

Game of Thrones
Mad Men
The West Wing
Law & Order / Law & Order SVU

Surely your reasons for excluding Dexter must apply to the Walking Dead. It’s got so poor, I just stopped at the last mid season break and couldn’t go on.

With dexter, in the seasons I didn’t like I could never find anything redeeming. With TWD, in the poor seasons for example (7/8 are the obvious ones) I still found Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Negan to be captivating. Rick having to euthanise Carl was pretty intense. Darryl is always good for some good moments. Dwight’s little storyline I actually found interesting. In the last few seasons of Dexter there was literally nothing I enjoyed.

Plus the current season of TWD is actually really good by comparison to the few before it.

Drama:

1. Deadwood
2. The Sopranos
3..The Wire
4. Justified
5. Westworld

Comedy:

1. Yes Minister/Prime Minister
2. Minder
3. Blackadder
4. Get Smart
5. I'm Alan Partridge