Your top 5 series/sitcoms ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Seinfeld
Simpsons
The Office UK
Frontline
The Inbetweeners

Currently rewatching Seinfeld, into series 3, starts to get really good from here.
Bought the box set of Seinfeld a couple of years ago. I like it more now than I did when it was on.

I agree from Season 3 it hits it's peak and just stays there.

The first four come to mind straight away as I just loved these shows for over 80% of their episodes which is hard to do for any show to keep me watching.

Fringe
Blackadder
Fawlty Towers
Curb Your Enthusiasm

The fifth is harder to decide on and could be any number of shows.
I remember in late 80's or early 90's whenever would find there a late night episode of Star Trek on, it was full of wonder what the episode would be about. It was ahead of a lot of science fiction type shows from 80' but was never on at prime time , so you just had to fluke finding it on late at night from time to time and be awake at time to catch it. But decades on from when it made, it kind of losing some points from me as it never developed an ongoing storyline for show itself from episode to episode. So a particular episode may be particularly fascinating but next episode does not build onto it and can be about something complete different. Which was both a strength of show of not knowing what any episode would be about but then if you did see an episode you really liked it was not really built on as a story. So despite enjoying the show it probably is now behind a show from more recent decades where series actually build upon what happened previously.
As a result I think a show like Dexter probably ends up my fifth as it made you want to know what happens to characters in show more.

So overall I think if I was to pin down 5 tv sitcoms or series I enjoyed the most, it results in being three comedies, and the other two a mix of drama with other stuff where characters story actually developing happened to make you want to keep watching.

Fringe
Blackadder
Fawlty Towers
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Dexter

The I don’t know about top fives or tens, but the shows I tend to revisit are The Thick Of It, The Wire, Life On Mars, Broadchurch, Cowboy Beebop, Arrested Development, Flight of the Conchords, Borgen, Hornblower, Six Feet Under, Detectorists, Frasier and The Bridge.

Recently I have really been enjoying Barry, Lupin and Ted Lasso.

Last edited:
What's the deal with the Brits never getting Seinfeld? It was only the four channels back then and maybe it never got the right time slot but even the finale was on late on BBC2 and you'd talk to plenty of people who'd barely heard of the show. Maybe it was a payback for nobody outside of the UK really understanding Only Fools and Horses and why David Jason falling through a gap in the bar is peak comedy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the deal with the Brits never getting Seinfeld? It was only the four channels back then and maybe it never got the right time slot but even the finale was on late on BBC2 and you'd talk to plenty of people who'd barely heard of the show. Maybe it was a payback for nobody outside of the UK really understanding Only Fools and Horses and why David Jason falling through a gap in the bar is peak comedy.

I was living in the UK after Seinfeld finished but I don't recall seeing any Seinfeld repeats there like we have here and it didn't seem well known there.

I don't think it was some anti-American thing either as other American shows like The Simpsons were popular there.

1. Breaking Bad
2. The Adventures of Lano and Woodley
3. Curb your enthusiasm
4. It's Always Sunny in Philly
5. Mad Dogs/Succession/Yellowstone equal 5th

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

Dramas:
Freaks and Geeks
Six Feet Under
Love My Way
Nip/Tuck
The Sopranos < see that kozi

Comedy:
Frontline
Seinfeld
Fawlty Towers
The Office UK
Summer Heights High
Summer heights high...when he gets the sack / resigns and they catch him driving past and he says I’m just going to the shop and they say you don’t live anywhere near here. Ahaaaaaa. I loved that show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back