your top 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Franklin
Kennedy
Goodes
Grundy

Note that the 2 of these players who played against Fremantle in 2013, our 2nd weakest crumbling under pressure, also had very good games there too - Kennedy and Grundy.

Next tier:
Pyke
Parker

5. Fosdike
4. Kirk
3. Kelly
2. Cresswell
1. Lockett

I think Buddy has the best chance of breaking into the top 5. Maybe Parker. Hopefully Tom Mitchell.

Last edited:
Probably isn't a top 5, certainly a top 3:

Kennedy
Buddy
Goodes

These guys have proven themselves time and time again on the big stages...their average performances in big games are few and far between. You can count on them 9/10 times...don't think you can really say that about anyone else.

The next tier:

Hannebery
Parker
Smith
Grundy
Richards
Tippett (he's probably borderline)

These guys have played well in quite a few big games but not to the point of the 3 above where you can pretty much put a good game in the book.
**Mitchell would probably be in this group if the coaches played him, potentially even the 1st

Unless I'm forgetting someone that pretty much covers it. Everyone else is a gamble and are prone to going missing a bit (sometimes all at once, as seen in our last 2 finals series). So only 9 players you can count on more often than not!
This is why there is such a huge gap between our best and our worst - I'd go as far to say we have the biggest gap in the comp our best is (just about) the absolute best in the league, our worst (just about)the absolute worst in the league.

These guys have played well in quite a few big games but not to the point of the 3 above where you can pretty much put a good game in the book.
**Mitchell would probably be in this group if the coaches played him, potentially even the 1st

That's a huge call.

While he definitely has the potential, I haven't seen anything to suggest he has nerves of steel at this point in his career.

Kennedy
Goodes
Buddy
Grundy
Richards

the first three speak for themselves, it's a bit of a blanket finish after that.... I went for those two but possibly a few others are unlucky....

Be interesting to see how this one would poll a few games into the season once the bad taste from the grand final has gone... if it ever does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going by the 2014 GF

Goodes
Kennedy
Shaw
Franklin
Parker or Hanners

The Top 5:

1. Goodes - With experience and talent, he knows when to step up for the team. A big game player!!
2. McVeigh - One of the most underrated players in the AFL, McVeigh is a great captain and swans fans know why.
3. Kennedy - Can earn the tough/contested ball and really change the momentum of the game.
4. Franklin - Can kick a goal from almost anywhere and can take a great contested mark.
5. Richards - Can shut down the best key forwards in the game. One of the AFL's best key defenders.

Close to making the list: Hannebery, Jetta, Parker, Tippet, McGlynn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back