Your top 50 favourite Carlton players

Remove this Banner Ad

Well off the top of my head I can think of five although a few of them were before my time. ;)
  1. Peter McKenna (when he was a Collingwood player).
  2. Mick McGuane (when he was a Collingwood player).
  3. Ray Byrne (when he was a Collingwood player).
  4. Rusell Ohlsen (when he was a Collingwood player).
  5. Warren Ralph (for missing the goal from 25 metres out after the siren to level the scores in 1984).

Collingwood board :rolleyes:

Being only a youngin' (20) i can do a top 15-20 at most.

1. Greg Williams
2. Anthony Koutoufides
3. S.O.S
4. Bryce Gibbs
5. Matthew Allen
6. Chris Judd
7. Brendan Fevola
8. Marc Murphy
9. Brett Ratten
10. Sticks
11. Jordan Russell
12. Craig Bradley
13. Calos (love him coz he made me 500 easy dollars)
14. Eddie Betts
15. Special K
16. Anthony Francena (however u spell it)
17. B.French
18. Pearce
19. Eddie Betts
20. Hampson
21. Matthew Lappin

i cant concerctrate atm, this a league gf is driving me nuts!!

Bradley may have been the best outside player in our team through his tenure, but I was happier for Ratten and Fraser Brown doing all the tough stuff and feeding the ball to him.
Yes, that was his role but once many of our key personnel dropped away so did his performances.

Fire away..

Bradley won a B&F in his first season and came third in his final season 16 years later. I never saw his performances drop away for more than a week at a time.

A special mention for Vinnie he was tough as nails...

No retribution in 73 was disappointing however

Being only a youngin' (20) i can do a top 15-20 at most.

1. Greg Williams
2. Anthony Koutoufides
3. S.O.S
4. Bryce Gibbs
5. Matthew Allen
6. Chris Judd
7. Brendan Fevola
8. Marc Murphy
9. Brett Ratten
10. Sticks
11. Jordan Russell
12. Craig Bradley
13. Calos (love him coz he made me 500 easy dollars)
14. Eddie Betts
15. Special K
16. Anthony Francena (however u spell it)
17. B.French
18. Pearce
19. Eddie Betts
20. Hampson
21. Matthew Lappin

i cant concerctrate atm, this a league gf is driving me nuts!!

LOL :)

OK
1 SOS - who I wanted to be
2- Tom Alvin - childhood hero
3 Mik Fitzpatrick - why I follow CFC
4 Jesaulenko
5 Doull
6 David Rhys Jones - who we all would like to be for 1 day
7 Peter Dean
8 Kouta
9 J Madden
10 C Bradley
11 Mil Hanna
12 G Williams
13 A McKay
14 B Ratten
15 A Hickmott
16 Sticks
17 M Clape - good WA lad
18 Ken Hunter
19 Jon Dorotich - the face of CFC in WA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
20 M Allan
21 G Manton : the BOLT
22 Ang woof Christou
23 fried Rice Dean Rice
24 M Sexton - still undervalued
25 Fev
26 Syd Jackson
27 F Brown
28 B Pearce off
29 M Hogg
30 D Ellard wa blues own
31 C Cloke " " " "
33 K Lucas " " " "
34 E Betts
35 C Judd
36 P Bower
37 D Armfield
38 Lance
39 Hamill - when he was one of us he reminded me of me!
40 Walls
41 M Maclure
42 W Harmes

more as they were before my time but what I know of them and have seen
43 J Nicholls
44 W Johnston
45 Serge
46 K Sheldon
47 Percy Jones
48 A Marcou
49 V Perovic
50 G Southby

HONOURABLE MENTION
P Bosustow who was on my list for a very long time but burnt those bridges

Got carried away with a best of list, instead of favourite players:
Going again:

1. Bruce Doull / Kenny Hunter
3. Des English
4. Tommy Alvin
5. Peter Dean
6. Alex Marcou
7. Jimmy Buckley
8. Andrew McKay
9. SOS
10. Earl Spalding

Current players:

1. Matthew Kreuzer
2. Kane Lucas
3. Paul Bower
4. Michael Jamison
5. Stephen Browne
6. Aaron Joseph
7. Shaun Hampson
8. Eddie Betts
9. Mitch Robinson
10. Chris Yarran

Just can't find the love for the top three I'm sorry to say.

You've started a monster here ODN. :D

O.K. my favourites

1. Bruce Doull
2. Alex Jeasulenko
3. John Nicholls
4. Stephen Silvagni
5. Greg Williams
6. Stephen Kernahan

The above 6 are of true iconic status. A photo alone of any of these guys pretty much represent Carlton the club, even though Diesel had spent time in others colours.

7. Matthew Kreuzer
8. Wayne Johnston
9. Peter Dean
10. Andrew McKay
11. Des English
12. Geoff Southby
13. Chris Judd
14. Rod Ashman
15. Ken Hunter
16. David McKay
17. The Duke
18. Michael Sexton
19. Fraser Brown
20. Brett Ratten

I'll get lambasted again for saying this, but Kouta and Bradley must have been the most overrated players we have had.
They were good for sure, but not the out and out champion status we have bestowed upon them.
I'll say that Kouta had many more poor games in his career than good ones.
It was just that the good ones were sometimes great.
Bradley may have been the best outside player in our team through his tenure, but I was happier for Ratten and Fraser Brown doing all the tough stuff and feeding the ball to him.
Yes, that was his role but once many of our key personnel dropped away so did his performances.

Fire away..

I can't believe anyone would leave out the Huricane, Wayne Harmes ...absolutely idolized the bloke.

That may be the general opinion, so fair enough.

I got to a lot of games through the 90s and early 2000s and witnessed many games first hand by both these players.
Kouta always looked like he was going to deliver through the course of a match but quite often had little real impact.
For gods sake I wanted to see something special, but rarely truly did.
Both are definitely in my top 50, but I won't find room for the boys at the top end of the scale.

Oh dear :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well off the top of my head I can think of five although a few of them were before my time. ;)
  1. Peter McKenna (when he was a Collingwood player).
  2. Mick McGuane (when he was a Collingwood player).
  3. Ray Byrne (when he was a Collingwood player).
  4. Rusell Ohlsen (when he was a Collingwood player).
  5. Warren Ralph (for missing the goal from 25 metres out after the siren to level the scores in 1984).

Could you please remove that avatar when you post here ..it's scaring my kids ..fugly is the word that springs to mind . :eek:

Could you please remove that avatar when you post here ..it's scaring my kids ..fugly is the word that springs to mind . :eek:

:D:thumbsu: KissArse is without doubt the thickest poster on BF, and is the only one that doesn't realise it. I remember last year bragging about Chokingwoods young :eek: team, and how if they didn't have Rocca they would have a younger list than Carlton. So what'd they do? Recruited plodders like Jolly and Ball with 50yo legs while we lost Fev and Stevens off our list.

:D:thumbsu: KissArse is without doubt the thickest poster on BF, and is the only one that doesn't realise it. I remember last year bragging about Chokingwoods young :eek: team, and how if they didn't have Rocca they would have a younger list than Carlton. So what'd they do? Recruited plodders like Jolly and Ball with 50yo legs while we lost Fev and Stevens off our list.
plenty of competition

1. Sticks - No better big game forward
2. SOS - Best FB of all time and 200 goals l
3. Kouta - His best was amazing
4. Fevola - Our only shinning light during our worst times, nothing more exciting than yelling Fevvvvvvvvvvvvvvooooooooolllllllllllla!!
5. Greg Williams - How did he do it?
6. Bradley - To play the way he did into late 30's amazing
7. Judd - He is just so dam good
8. Ratten - so hard at it
9. Brad Peacreeeeeeeeee - man i loved him in 95
10. Ang - woof

I can't believe anyone would leave out the Huricane, Wayne Harmes ...absolutely idolized the bloke.

More than fair point on Harmes.
When he clicked there was no-one more intimidating out there.
This did come about from him being mean, it was just that opponents must have shat themselves when this seemingly tubby fellow left them for dead out of the blocks
(oh and let's not forget that act of courage in THAT Grand final ;))

I know, but just have to call it the way I saw it.

I doubt if Kouta had one good game in three, and remember that Braddles was criticized quite openly about his game for a period of his career, for being too "outside"

Anyway, we've gone in a different direction to the OP, as we were to name our personal favourites.

I'd be interested though to see how things would fare given maybe a 3 different era situation.
Say: 1970 - 1984, 1985 - 1998, 1999 - current.

I'm pretty young so dunno if I can come up with 50 but here goes (These are players I remember from around '95 onwards):

1. Sticks
2. Diesel
3. Braddles
4. KOUTA!
5. SOS
6. Ang Christou
7. Brad Pierce
8. Fev
9. Juddy
10. Matty Lappin
11. Angry Brown
12. Peter Dean
13. Dean "Special Fried" Rice
14. Simo
15. Camporeale
16. Hamill (Shattered when he went to the Saints)
17. Ratten
18. Andrew McKay
19. Justin Madden
20. Darren Hulme
21. Mil Hanna
22. Eddie Betts
23. Bryce Gibbs
24. Marc Murphy
25. Robbo
26. AJ

I know, but just have to call it the way I saw it.

I doubt if Kouta had one good game in three, and remember that Braddles was criticized quite openly about his game for a period of his career, for being too "outside"

Anyway, we've gone in a different direction to the OP, as we were to name our personal favourites.

I'd be interested though to see how things would fare given maybe a 3 different era situation.
Say: 1970 - 1984, 1985 - 1998, 1999 - current.

Bradley was an absolute champion and a running machine ....awesome player for the Carlton football club for many many years.

Kouta won quite a few games off his own boot ..including a qualifying final against the Bears in 95 ..he was thrown forward when we were struggling and kicked 3 last quarter goals to get us across the line .

His display in the last quarter of the 99 prelim is one of the most dominant displays i have seen from one individual ...absolute freak of a footballer who on his day was unstoppable.

They would always be in my best 50 Carlton players i have seen ....but seeing as this is for your favourite players then you can omit them ..but please don't try and bag them . ;)

No love in here for Ross Ditchburn i see .

Kouta won quite a few games off his own boot ..including a qualifying final against the Bears in 95 ..he was thrown forward when we were struggling and kicked 3 last quarter goals to get us across the line .

His display in the last quarter of the 99 prelim is one of the most dominant displays i have seen from one individual ...absolute freak of a footballer who on his day was unstoppable.

Do you remember the game against North Melbourne in '00 or '01 at Optus Oval where he absoultely dominated? Pretty much won the game for us.

I remember Kou-Ta, Kou-Ta flashing up on the old score board (who could forget that thing?) and the place going nuts. As we walked out whole crowd kept chanting, awesome day!

Fairly sure nobody over the age of 30 knows what the internet is, so the 1970-84 period might be a touch barren.

Excuse me b4f - I vividly remember attending the 64GF (not us I know but I should have been calling the game as the thing I remember most was noticing this Crompton fellow and the next thing I knew he won the match). I think I attended our loss in 62 as my father took me to every final series from when I was about 6yo but I cannot say I remember anything about that one :footy:

I have nominated Diesel as my numero uno but indelible early memories I have are Jezza and Teddy in 70 and a particular favourite was Big Nick in 72 when Sheedy was trying to rough up Trevor Keogh and the big fella just walked over and put his finger on Sheedy's chest and that was the end of the funny business :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back