DieHardCrow

Debutant
Jun 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mets, Cowboys, Liverpool,Bulls
Hi Guys, Im relatively new to this board, Im 17 and I have to do a speech on a top ten of something and I though I would do my top ten crows matches. I have missed only one home game since the start of 1997 and can list a few games but just wondering whether anyone could help me expand on my list with a few earlier and current day games

My list currently includes:

Round 1 1991 vs Hawthorn
1997 Preliminary Final vs Western Bulldogs
1997 Grand Final vs St Kilda
1998 Grand Final vs North Melbourne
Round 7 2000 vs Port Adelaide
Round 3 (?) 2001 vs Carlton
2002 Semi Final vs Melbourne
2002 Round 17 vs Geelong in Geelong
2005 Semi Final vs Port Adelaide

I know there are others and am hoping that some people on here can jog my memory thanks for you help

Go the Crows!!!!

1993 v North Melbourne at home - The Modra mark and a brilliant match. Came back from big 3/4 time deficit.

1993 v North Melbourne at home - The Modra mark and a brilliant match. Came back from big 3/4 time deficit.
The 1 point win over Fitzroy the same year. :thumbsu:
Beating Collingwood rd 22 to make the finals same year.

The 1 pt win over Hawthorn at Waverly in 92

There was a thread ages ago on comebacks. Not necessarily the best games, but here is what I came up with for my top 12:
I have tried to weight them in terms of how good the comeback itself was, memorable moments, and significance of the comeback to the club:

1. Preliminary Final 1997
Adelaide 12. 21. 93
Western Bulldogs 13. 13. 91

31 points down at half time, 22 at three quarter time. No serious inroads by halfway through the last quarter, and then... Who could forget Libba's celebration, Jarman's magic in the forward line, Goodwin's goal from the boundary, K Johnson's bullet pass, Edwards' goal line smother in the dying seconds, Rohan Smith pounding the ground... Easily the best comeback in the Crows' history.

2. Round 7 2000
Adelaide 14. 14. 98
Port Adelaide 13. 13. 91

Ayres' first Showdown, and we found ourselves fully 7 goals down during the third quarter. It was back to 25 points at three quarter time and then the Ricciuto show started. Epic stuff. Ayres' reaction was great as well.

3. Semi Final 2002
Adelaide 20. 10. 130
Melbourne 17. 16. 118

What a game. Crows fans had watched a 40 point quarter time lead become a 22 point deficit by the final break. When Melbourne kicked the first in the last quarter, all looked lost. Then Peter Vardy missed a gettable shot, the momentum turned, and Matty Clarke had an absolutely epic last quarter.

4. Round 19 1997
Adelaide 9. 11. 65
Port Adelaide 9. 4. 58

The Crows claimed local bragging rights for the first time... and how! Down by 30 points at quarter time and 23 points at the last change in the wet, the Crows looked finished. We seemed intent on ruining our chances of a comeback with poor kicking early in the final term, but got on a roll with goals to Andrew McLeod and Troy Bond sealing the game.

5. Grand Final 1998
Adelaide 15. 15. 105
North Melbourne 8. 22. 70

At half time all looked lost as the Crows found themselves 24 points and 14 scoring shots behind. It was as if the teams swapped guernseys at half time, and when the Crows kicked the first couple of the third quarter, the comeback was on. By halfway through the last quarter, there was only one winner, and we were going back to back.

6. Round 9 1995
Adelaide 9. 6. 60
Hawthorn 7. 16. 58

On a miserable night at Footy Park, the Crows had kicked 1.1 to half time, and were behind by 34 points. It would have been more if not for the Hawks’ wastefulness in front of goal. 5 unanswered third quarter goals later, and the gap was within a goal. In a tense final term, the Crows hit the front for the first time when a 2nd gamer by the name of McLeod won a contested ball and dribbled through from the north-western pocket.

7. Round 8 1993
Adelaide 19. 9. 123
North Melbourne 18. 13. 121

North Melbourne turned it on in the 3rd quarter, kicking 8 goals to 3 to turn a 9 point half time deficit into a 26 point lead at the final change. In a game that will be better remembered for Tony Modra’s mark of the year, the Crows stormed back to claim the points on the back of Modra’s 10 goals.

8. Round 22 1993
Adelaide 19. 21. 135
Collingwood 17. 9. 111

In a game that forever lives on in Crows’ history as the day we made the finals for the first time, Collingwood got the jump with a 6 goal to 1 first quarter. Once again, it was Modra who inspired the Crows into action with 5 goals, ensuring the chant of “We’re in the finals” went up around Footy Park long before the final siren.

9. Qualifying Final 2006
Adelaide 10. 16. 76
Fremantle 7. 4. 46

More of a courageous, slowly edging our way back game than most others on this list, which consisted of lots of goals being kicked in a hurry. After being jumped by Freo, the depleted Crows were inspired by Rhett Biglands’ outrageous checkside. Little did we know then it would be his second last game for the club. We hit the front for the first time in the last quarter, and Porplyzia’s solo effort down the outer wing will not soon be forgotten by Crows faithful.

10. Round 14 1994
St Kilda 12. 7. 79
Adelaide 11. 13. 79

Although we didn’t win the game (and I was overseas so never saw the game), to come from 29 points down at the final change, keeping the Saints scoreless in the last quarter, to record the club’s only ever draw was a mighty effort. An interesting piece of trivia which would be inconceivable now – the 2 ruckmen were awarded 3 and 2 Brownlow votes for this game. Shaun Rehn’s 30 possession effort was outshone only by opposite number Lazar Vidovic.

11. Round 18 2007
Adelaide 9. 19. 73
Port Adelaide 10. 5. 65

On another horrible night at AAMI, the Crows revived their season against a Port team which was rampant at the time. Although only down by 2-3 goals for most of the night, the Crows never really seemed in the game. A last quarter burst, led by Simon Goodwin who had 39 possessions, got the Crows over the line.

12. Round 9 2000
Kangaroos 19. 14. 128
Adelaide 19. 11. 125

The only game in this list that we lost, it was nonetheless an amazing comeback. A Wayne Carey inspired Roos were 50 points ahead midway through the last quarter, and with the points seemingly in the bag, the star man was rested. Although the Crows fightback initially had a ring of too little too late about it, the Kangas were forced to endure some nervous moments when the margin was brought back to 2 points. No doubt had the Crows managed one more goal, this game would be number 1 on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back