Son_Of_God29

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund
Given the dawning of a new ERA of Saturday night at Kardinia Park - what are your top 5 Memories of watching the Greatest team of all at there real home

1. Gary Ablett Snr 1000th goal: Being able to run out on the ground when the great man was able to kick his 1000th Career goal will always be a highlight

2. Un-furling 2007 Premiership flag. To see the smiles on people's faces that afternoon is something that I will never ever forget, alot of pain was washed away when that flag was seen for the first time.

3. Standing Room as a Kid : Always used to queue with my Family as a kid outside the ground wanting to get the best spot to Watch Gazza and the boys, milk crate in hand DAD and i used to stand behind the last row of wodden seats - brings a tear to the eye just remembering those days.

4. Family Day 2007: The Sea of Humanity that desended on KP had to be seen to be beleived there were high fives everywhere and everybody was happy

5. Might just happen when the lights go on Saturday Night - It will be a special night for everyone who is luck enough to have a ticket

Please feel free to place your top 5

Watching Gazza every week in the early 90's.
Ian Nankevis's goal against North in the pooring rain some time around 1980.
Andrew Bews's goal.
Gazza ending Wayne Johnstons career with a legitimate bump.
Bryan Peake's arrival.

I have tons of memories.

Going into the rooms after training one night to get Stephen Lunns autograph. The trainer showed us straight into the showers where him and Michael Turner were having a shower next to each other. Pretty daunting for a kid.

Catching up with Gazza at training to get him to sign something for me. And even as a young adult I was still as nervous as hell chatting to him.

Going in on Sundays to cash in all the aluminium cans I'd collected. I was always disappointed with the amount of cash I got back.

Manning a Pie stall. Gee you made some cash as a kid.

Watching a GFL final and seeing the 2 adults I was with destroy 5 other guys in a brawl.
I will never forget one of them getting their arm wrapped around a pole until you heard the snap.

Was that 5? :)

Watching Gazza every week in the early 90's.
Ian Nankevis's goal against North in the pooring rain some time around 1980.
Andrew Bews's goal.
Gazza ending Wayne Johnstons career with a legitimate bump.
Bryan Peake's arrival.

I have tons of memories.

Going into the rooms after training one night to get Stephen Lunns autograph. The trainer showed us straight into the showers where him and Michael Turner were having a shower next to each other. Pretty daunting for a kid.

Catching up with Gazza at training to get him to sign something for me. And even as a young adult I was still as nervous as hell chatting to him.

Going in on Sundays to cash in all the aluminium cans I'd collected. I was always disappointed with the amount of cash I got back.

Manning a Pie stall. Gee you made some cash as a kid.

Watching a GFL final and seeing the 2 adults I was with destroy 5 other guys in a brawl.
I will never forget one of them getting their arm wrapped around a pole until you heard the snap.

Was that 5? :)

Love it VC - The same thing happened and still Happens when I Gazza around the place i was always afraid to go and talk to him because he was my absolute hero

1. Gaz Snr going ballistic in the final 1/4 against St.Kilda (91?) Saints were killing us all day til Snr tore them a new one

2. Gaz Jnr kicking that goal against Bris in the pouring rain

3. 2007 flag unfurling

4. Not really a good one but the game against Hawthorn rnd 22 of '87 was a great game minus the result

5. Bit of a personal one but watching my son hand Scarlo his jumper at the ore-season family day of '07. When I took him into the rooms he was in line to hand out No. 28 D.Johnson(?) when he came out he had been shuffled down to No. 30

Ben Graham's booming goal v Port Adelaide, Rd 14 2003
Gaz Jnr's late goal v Port Adelaide, Rd 21 2007
Gaz Snr's 1000th goal
The whole game vs Melbourne in 2011, but especially the last qtr.
Some random game in the early 90's when my cousin and I ran out and did the goal signal with the goal umpire in the last quarter of a big win

Going to the footy with my old man....Dad carrying a box that I could stand on so I could see the game, and the other adult supporters around making space for me and encouraging me to yell out for the Cats....then at half time pushing through the crowd and over the fence to have a kick....and after the game too...

Oh...and Tony Polinelli's thighs!!! :p

Some non-football field memories

* Squeezing in with 42,000 and having to stand on iron railings to see the match
* Running around collecting cans to seel back to the Alcoa man at the back of the stand.
* Attending a match against North in atrocious conditions, despite 18,000 or more attending, the whole of the Moorabool St Wing was virtually empty after half time.
* Fracturing a metatarsal in my foot after jumping the fence trying to get out of the crush between the outer and the old Reg Hickey Stand
* The fire in the small food stand that used to be near the windsock

Gaz Snr 1000th goal

Premiership 07 celebrations

Gary Snr first game 5 goals reported , jacko playing same game

Gary Snr hits on Gastev/ Beardsly

Bruce Lindner hangar

Unfurling of all flags.

Buddha Hockings last game there.

When we beat Port by 1pt after Ben Graham's goal from the centre trying to pass to Scarlo.

Going to every game with my old man and my brothers.

Going to the footy with my old man....Dad carrying a box that I could stand on so I could see the game, and the other adult supporters around making space for me and encouraging me to yell out for the Cats....then at half time pushing through the crowd and over the fence to have a kick....and after the game too...

Oh...and Tony Polinelli's thighs!!! :p

oh, you just reminded me, Tony Polinelli doing his knee on the outer wing and hearing later from my father that the doctor said the knee fell to bits in his hands, did not sleep that night trying to get rid of the mental picture of that

my 5

being first person to slap big Larry O on the back after his ton
Billy Brownless with the biggest hangover of all time taking the time to sign my son's jumper (and hundreds of others) sunday after 94 debacle
climbing fence to get in, best spot was alwayssouth west corner where pool is now
billy goggin stab pass to Doug
Gazza senior trying to explain to some Richmond guy that dropping into the hole in front of his lead was not a good idea, slow learner, never seen so much blood

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but beating the Brisbane Lions for the first time ever in 2004 ranks up there for me. Strong signs of a team on the rise and a pivotal moment in our journey to the current era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a few spring to mind so far:

- first game at about 6 years old, sitting on my Dad's shoulder's just under the old scoreboard. Geelong got flogged by Collingwood. My first glimpse of the great man Gazza snr.
- running on the ground for Gazza's 1000th. It seemed like there were 100,000 people on the ground that day.
- a game against St Kilda in the mid 2000s where I think we won by a couple of points and Scarlo soccered a goal when playing on Fraser Gehrig. He got a standing ovation as he ran the length of the field back to position.

5. one of my first games down at skilled. 2002 i think. We beat wet toast 66 to 33.
4. Unfurling 2007 flag
3. Demolishing Melbourne in 2011.
2. Ablett Snr running amok.
1. Round 4 2010. We parading 2007 and 2009 cup. Could have brought a tear to a glass eye.

1. The day after the 2007 grand final. The whole stadium was one massive sea of humanity. Not a spare seat or blade of grass to be seen anywhere.
2. Sitting in the stands and watching the VFL side beat Casey by 20 goals, and the seniors beat Melbourne by 31 goals on the same day.
3. The game vs Brisbane in 2004 when we beat the Lions for the first time in ages.
4. Being part of a pre-game celebration in 2000 honouring the different supporter groups around the country, holding a placard promoting the supporter group in Mount Gambier, and having members of the Fremantle cheer squad telling us to go home...
5. Ben Graham's 80m kick out from full back vs Port Adelaide.

I reckon your right vc,pretty sure it was a final so definitely not KP.
I think it was a final vs Fitzroy.
It was a bloody long time ago and I was a kid. I swear we sat 5 rows back or so on the wing. (which was normal)

The only reason I really remember Larry is because my brother had 23 on his jumper.

35 odd thousand v Collingwood some time ago

Seeing Menzel do his knee 3 times

Throwing phone book paper as a kid til it was a foot high in front of us

Looking like statues as West Coast just kept coming

Sitting bang on the wing on the timber seats watching all three games
That would be the Bill Ryan after the siren goal, yes?

ooh actually it might have been footscray. hmm

1]. Standing on the wing under the the wind sock each week watching Gazza.
2]. Standing on the wing under the wind sock each week looking at a guy in front who had spray on hair!
3]. Standing on the wing under the wind sock each week, acting a fool in a balaclava. o_O
4]. Standing on the wing under the wind sock watching Jacko, Gazza and Williams debut.
5]. Grand Final week training '89/'92/'94/'95 :(.
6]. GF week training 2007. Oh yeah! :cool:
7]. Hooking/pulling Damien Fleming for 4 off the last all of the day-the ball landed on the wing in front of the wind sock. ;)
8]. Listening to the crowd roar from my backyard in Newtown when a kid in the '70s.
9]. Watching Geelong vs West Indies as a 10 year old primary school kid.
10]. The Leighton Ford rally in the 80's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back