Your Top Ten Crows Players Of All Time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Slippery Pete

Samcro24’s shape keeper
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not necessarily who was the best "on his day," or the most skillful. But who made the greatest contribution to where we are today as a club. Here's mine.

1. Ricciuto
2. McLeod
3. Hart
4. Jarman
5. Rehn
6. Smart
7. Goodwin
8. Edwards
9. Bickley
10.Modra

1. McLeod (for his longevity, brilliance, 2 GF performances and professionalism)
2. Modra (the one player who captured the States imagination and is a key reason the Crows became the loved and successful club we know. His impact should not be underestimated)
3. Ricciuto (Capt, brave, brilliant and consistent)
4. Bickley (led the club to two straight flags, smashed a Wakelin and ushered in the era of professional football at AFC)
5. Rehn (the most important player in our successful era)
6. Goodwin (Capt, professional, longevity, brilliance)
7. D Jarman (Brilliance, GF's and lets not forget turning his back on the Crows at the start only to return a favourite son)
8. Burton (a weird one I know, but his impact on the way we train, the commitment to preparation and he is the measuring stick by which all training is measured. We are after all known as the AFL's most professional training club and he is the main reason why)
9. Hart (could play in any position and on anyone. Brilliant player)
10. Edwards (consistent and often underrated - just the our club)

1. M. Ricciuto
2. A McLeod
3. D Jarman
4. T Modra
5. S Goodwin
6. B Hart
7. S Rehn
8. T Edwards
9. M Bickley
10. N Smart

Subject to edit I think.

Looking at something a bit different:

My Top Ten Colourful/Amusing/Offbeat:

Andrew Jarman
Ryan Fitzgerald
Eddie Hocking
John Klug
Wayne Weidemann
Nick Gill
Nathan Bassett
Trent Ormond-Allen
Troy Bond
Stephen Rowe

1. McLeod (for his longevity, brilliance, 2 GF performances and professionalism)
2. Modra (the one player who captured the States imagination and is a key reason the Crows became the loved and successful club we know. His impact should not be underestimated)
3. Ricciuto (Capt, brave, brilliant and consistent)
4. Bickley (led the club to two straight flags, smashed a Wakelin and ushered in the era of professional football at AFC)
5. Rehn (the most important player in our successful era)
6. Goodwin (Capt, professional, longevity, brilliance)
7. D Jarman (Brilliance, GF's and lets not forget turning his back on the Crows at the start only to return a favourite son)
8. Burton (a weird one I know, but his impact on the way we train, the commitment to preparation and he is the measuring stick by which all training is measured. We are after all known as the AFL's most professional training club and he is the main reason why)
9. Hart (could play in any position and on anyone. Brilliant player)
10. Edwards (consistent and often underrated - just the our club)
Classy.

Mods was bloody marvellous for us, considering he was post knee and we had a team of crabs and a few talented kids...
Worst year was 2.5 goals a game, when we won 2 games and he was largely injured.

In 99 he got 71 goals at 3.6 a game in a team that won 5 games, one of which was Adelaide.

http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=614&Code=be092b3eb9d2eee4dff27bacf45a8233

Lulz...must've soiked the drinks in your room...that's a fair side you put out...was Blight still coaching? His head must've rotated like Linda Blair

Bloody champ :thumbsu:

Mods was bloody marvellous for us, considering he was post knee and we had a team of crabs and a few talented kids...
Worst year was 2.5 goals a game, when we won 2 games and he was largely injured.

In 99 he got 71 goals at 3.6 a game in a team that won 5 games, one of which was Adelaide

Bloody champ :thumbsu:

Amuses me when Port fans try and compare Scott Hodges to Mods.

Not necessarily who was the best "on his day," or the most skillful. But who made the greatest contribution to where we are today as a club. Here's mine.

Following the criterion you set out. My top 10 would be

1) Mark Ricciuto: IMO he is the best player we have ever had, he is the best leader, motivator and captain we have ever had and he will always be the number one crow. He may not have been our first superstar or recognizable player but he will always be that one person we could turn to when the chips were down to pull us up. Number 1 forever and wasn’t really close, the contribution he had made to the AFC cannot be matched.

2) Tony Modra: He was never our best player, he was never a premiership player but he was our very first genuine superstar player. The club may not have survived if it wasn’t for Modra, his glory days of 93 to 95 was Jordanesk. His popularity was unbelievable and he could not ‘no wrong’. Number 2 in my book, his contribution may not have been on the field as much, but off it, he sold the club to the people. Had he played in a premiership and stayed, he may have matched the ‘Big Roo’ for that status.

3)Chris McDermott: From day one, he set the standard of a very young club and took it from the embryo stage to the beginning of adolescence. Some may say, this is wrong and his actions were not that of a great leader in 1996 but his actions of the first 5 years certainly make up for it. His greatest contribution to the club came in the very early days and that cannot be questioned.

4) Shaun Rhen: One game will bring him from about number 8 or 9 into the top 5 for me. I believe the rumor and this is why he is number 4. Half time of the 97 preliminary final, he rips off his knee brace and says to the boys…”lets win the game”. If we don’t win that game, we may have turned into a very mediocre club that has achieved nothing in 20 years. The big sour Puss makes my top 4.

5) Andrew McLeod: 2 premierships, 2 norm smiths and a couple of gold jackets say his is our 5th most inspirational player but he is much more than that. His 3rd or 4th games demonstrated his class with a classy goal against Ray Jenkey to beat the Hawks on a cold, wet winter’s night at Football Park.

6) Andrew Jarman: He is not even close to being good enough to be in our team of the decade anymore but his early days gave the crow’s life and meaning. He gave the supporters someone to love, someone to hate and someone to say…gee he can play the game and showed the SA quality of slick football we seems to have lost. Andrew Newton Jarman is my 6th most influential player.

7) Mark Bickley: From the last man on the list in 1991 to the top crow in 1997 standing on the podium holding the cup. His courage and desire may not have been seen with skills or B&F votes but it was within the playing group and he was well respected for this. He sacrificed his game to be a better leader.

8) Simon Goodwin: He gave the club that professional edge to it. In tough time with senior players and great player leaving around him, he remained a rock and steadied the ship. 300 odd games and a couple of medals around his neck, the boy from Panther Park had made the 8th most important contribution to the AFC.

9) Ben Hart: from a gangly 17 year old kid from Prospect Road, to our first 300 gamer. He wasn’t the best player or the most attractive player on the field but he was the most reliable. His first half performance in 1998 saves our arse. His performance on Craig Sholl simply showed his class. Number 9 in my book

10) Chris Groom: For contributions to the AFC, his was the greatest. Leaving Adelaide and moving to Fremantle gave us Andrew McLeod. His contribution cannot be undervalued.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some interesting selections there alex. Can't argue with your logic though, based purely on the selection criteria provided.:thumbsu:

:thumbsu:

Yeah, if it was skills, or greatest player or many other topics, then McDermott, Jarman and even Benny Hart may not have made it and Andrew McLeod would have been top 2 for a certainty. But the criterion was set at 'contribution' and that's how i see it.

Like your ordering under the criteria alex, Id probably bump macca to 3.

I disagree re A jarman not being close to our greatest side. Watching some old games recently it struck me that Id forgotten how good he actually was. Was a very good footballer and was superbly skilled like his brother. Granted he may find it hard to fit in our all time 22 now, but he's not far away.

1. Ricciuto
2. McLeod
3. Hart
4. Jarman
5. Rehn
6. Smart
7. Goodwin
8. Edwards
9. Bickley
10.Modra

1. D.Jarman
2. A. McLeod
3. S.Rehn
4. M.Ricciuto
5. A.Modra
6. M.Bickley
7. N.Smart
8. S.Goodwin
9. J.Klug
10.T.Edwards

Like your ordering under the criteria alex, Id probably bump macca to 3.

Yeah, 5 was a bit harsh. Maybe Rhen, McDermott and McLeod could be equal 3rd. That's the way I saw it

I disagree re A jarman not being close to our greatest side. Watching some old games recently it struck me that Id forgotten how good he actually was. Was a very good footballer and was superbly skilled like his brother. Granted he may find it hard to fit in our all time 22 now, but he's not far away.

Yeah, poor choice of words. Saying that, I doubt he would make it now with all the quality midfielders we have had and do understand and appreciate how good he was and how impressive his skills were. Therefore, I do agree he wouldn't be that far way.

I Loved Jarman. :thumbsu:

When I said greatest contribution I actually meant greatest player. I knew I shouldn't have bothered with the criteria, just confuses the issue.

I just wanted to make the distinction between best and greatest.

The best player I've seen in a Crows jumper is still Darren Jarman, but he isn't the greatest Crow of all time. Greatness has a wider criteria.

When I said greatest contribution I actually meant greatest player. I knew I shouldn't have bothered with the criteria, just confuses the issue.

The best player I've seen in a Crows jumper is still Darren Jarman, but he isn't the greatest Crow of all time. Greatness has a wider criteria.

Well, that's a bit disappointing as I liked the way (or the way i interpreted the question) you were going with it as it was different.

Talking about the 'Best' or 'Greatest' has been done to death on forums and website and you can already predict the top 5 or 6 without any trouible.

Having best or greatest is so open and close, especially with a club like the AFC whop only have a 20 year history page. Where as seeing who enjoyed or appreciated how or why someone made a contribution to the club opened it up for a much larger discussion focus.

Doesn't matter.

You could then argue for W.Carey

My top ten. Not sure if best, but my personal favourites. Put it together before reading other posts.

1. Darren Jarman. Most skillfull player I have seen.
2. Roo. Lead our club on his back in the Ayers years. An important driver in the 1998 season. Our best leader.
3. Macca. Excitement machine. Created the attacking HB role.
4. Shaun Rehn. Best Ruck we have had. His work in our two Premierships was amazing. His role dropping back to defence was nearly as important as his Ruckwork.
5. Modra. Brought people to the game. Kicked goals from nothing oportunities. Was also a handy mark of the ball. Love watching kick goals before the game even now.
6. Andrew Jarman. Another entertainer. But had the skill to back it up.
7. Ben Rutten. Take him out of our side in the last five years and things would be different. To think he was nearly delisted as he was not that great a forward.
8. Ben Hart. Along with Smart important players in defence.
9. Nigel Smart. See above.
10. Scott Hodges. Will get cut down for this I know. But he could have complemented Modra superbly. Had he not damaged his ankle and we had a coach who knew how to use two forwards. Could have been the 90s version of Walker and Tip. Plus he is the reason I became a Crows supporter.

In ten years time I reckon guys like Hendo Tip, Walker, Danger, Sloane will knock some of these out this list.

Tom Gilligan
Eugene Warrior
Chris Groom
Eddie Hocking
Romano Negri
Brent Williams
Peter Turner
Seb Packer
Shane Tongerie
Matthew Golding

In all seriousness

McLeod
Ricciuto
Rehn
Jarman
Goodwin
Modra
Hart
Edwards
Smart
McDermott

1. Ricciuto
2. Ricciuto
3. Ricciuto
4. Ricciuto
5. Ricciuto
6. Ricciuto
7. Ricciuto
8. Ricciuto
9. Ricciuto
10.Ricciuto

Remove this Banner Ad

Back