Movie Your Top Ten Films of the Decade

Remove this Banner Ad

because I've hardly heard people talking about them either. Great movies you tend to hear about word of mouth over time and makes you curious enough to check out at some time.
I just think that's a sign of modern cinema. All the mainstream stuff that gets the majority of word of mouth buzz is mostly crap IMO. The great movies are probably not as front and centre in pop culture as they used to be in past times but they are still there, just harder to find maybe.

I was definitely in the "hated" Revenant side. Could not stand it

As for Boyhood- great concept for a movie and i really liked it. But a 10??? We'll have to agree to disagree fpcookie :)
Hated Animal Kingdom, Wild was good with Witherspoon, The Help was ok. I need to see 3 Billboards again, have only seen it the one time.
Haha fair enough. My gf hated it. I think it's an absolute masterpiece. I just connect really well with Linklater's movies. Whether it's the realistic nature or whatever, not sure, but think Boyhood was the perfect epitome of his style. I also love coming of age stories in general.

Can't really explain my love for The Help... on the cover it just seems like a generic period drama. But for some reason just really loved it.

I'll put mine in tiers.

Tier 1. (Modern Classics)
Drive
Ex Machina
Arrival
Sicario

Tier 2. (Highly rewatchable)
Logan
John Wick

Tier 3. (Good fun)
Deadpool
Django
Thor: Ragnorok
Bladerunner 2049

Unlucky.
True Grit
Inception
The Martian
Baby Driver

So many I haven't seen so from what I've watched. Still surprisingly difficult to condense so it's 15. No particular order.

Bladerunner 2049
Whiplash
Mad Max Fury Road
Prisoners
Wolf of Wall Street
Her
Avengers Infinity Wars
Dredd
Gone Girl
Spotlight
The Big Short
Guardians of the Galaxy
Wolf Children
Before Midnight
The Raid 2

Last edited:
1. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
2. Solo: A Star Wars Story
3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
4. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
5. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
6. Bumblebee
7. Transformers: The Last Knight
8. Transformers: Age of Extinction
9. Transformers: Dark of the Moon
10. The Fate of the Furious
Take it seriously. The Last Jedi is number one.

I struggle to remember films six months later let alone 10 years. From the blockbusters, I loved Inception, Interstellar, Last Jedi, Blade Runner 2049, from the smaller films, loved Drive, Birdman, plenty more I can’t remember.

Inception has to be one of the most overrated movies ever.
A smart film for stupid people.

giphy.gif

"Oh my god, it's a dream within a dream, like wow man, so complicated!"

Anyway Top 10 no order:

Detroit
Logan
Guardians of the Galaxy
Django Unchained
Paterson
The Lego Movie
Wreck It Ralph
Midnight In Paris
Days of Future Past
Arrival
Inception is for stupid people. Also Guardians of the Galaxy and Wreck It Ralph are among the best movies of the decade :think:

Inception is for stupid people. Also Guardians of the Galaxy and Wreck It Ralph are among the best movies of the decade :think:
Your comprehension is s**t house.

My ten favourite films of the decade aren't "the best films of the decade".

Inception is over-rated.

I'm just gonna do a top 5.

1. Under the Silver Lake: I felt this obsessive compulsive attempt to fuse '50s Hitchcock with '90s Fincher was aimed directly at me (and about me, knowing the movie's conspiracy theory fixation is purely a backdrop by which to critique the modern-day everyman who can't quite grow up) from very early on, even before Riley Keough's Lisa Carol Fremont glamour shot was promptly followed by the cool blonde scraping up dogshit with deadpan perfection.

2. This Is the End: The bromance to end all bromances, elevated in its climax when the sober main characters earnestly confess their love for each other without resorting to the cheap (but funny) undertones of Superbad and innuendos of Pineapple Express that purely sought to gross out homophobes. The Interview could have worked too if James Franco's showbiz buffoon was actually the smartest guy in the room as per Ryan Seacrest's Knocked Up cameo.

3. Brooklyn: An age-old story, written with deceptive originality and performed with powerful subtlety, about emotionally complex people rather than humanoid plot devices. Any sweeping declarations about the state of film are sure to miss the mark (and likely to come from Bob Dole types who don't bother to learn their subject matter) because, for one thing, Hollywood isn't the only town in the game.

4. Moneyball: Quibbles I might've had with Bennett Miller overplaying his "more to baseball than numbers, more to life than baseball" message were eased once it instantly became the most misunderstood mainstream movie of the decade, demonstrated on BigFooty's main board at least once a year when the latest naive viewer is inspired to propose an AFL equivalent to sabermetrics.

5. Wreck-It Ralph: 18 months being a significant albeit mystical time frame in the tech world, note the dates of the two releases (12 and 24 months after the death of Steve Jobs) which imo collectively catapulted WDAS ahead of Pixar--a breakthrough in the computer-animated landscape. It wouldn't be hard to find expert reviewers claiming the Galaxy S4 was approximately when Samsung overtook Apple, either.

I don't know who Leigh Paatsch is, but his top 30 of the decade just appeared on the Herald Sun website. Is it just me or does this list, particularly the top 10, look 'meh'?

30. THE LEGO MOVIE (2014)
29. MONEYBALL (2011)
28. 12 YEARS A SLAVE (2014)
27. FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD (2015)
26. HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE (2016)
25. ISLE OF DOGS (2018)
24. WHIPLASH (2014)
23. MOONLIGHT (2017)
22. HELL OR HIGH WATER (2016)
21. HEREDITARY (2018)
20. THE TREE OF LIFE (2011)
19. MANCHESTER BY THE SEA (2017)
18. BRIDESMAIDS (2011)
17. SICARIO (2015)
16. CALL ME BY YOUR NAME (2017)
15. ANIMAL KINGDOM (2010)
14. LA LA LAND (2016)
13. ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD (2019)
12. JOKER (2019)
11. INSIDE OUT (2015)
10. A STAR IS BORN (2018)
9. THE IRISHMAN (2019)
8. SENNA (2011)
7. SWEET COUNTRY (2018)
6. GET OUT (2017)
5. GRAVITY (2013)
4. THE SOCIAL NETWORK (2010)
3. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (2012)
2. DUNKIRK (2017)
1. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (2015)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know who Leigh Paatsch is, but his top 30 of the decade just appeared on the Herald Sun website. Is it just me or does this list, particularly the top 10, look 'meh'?

30. THE LEGO MOVIE (2014)
29. MONEYBALL (2011)
28. 12 YEARS A SLAVE (2014)
27. FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD (2015)
26. HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE (2016)
25. ISLE OF DOGS (2018)
24. WHIPLASH (2014)
23. MOONLIGHT (2017)
22. HELL OR HIGH WATER (2016)
21. HEREDITARY (2018)
20. THE TREE OF LIFE (2011)
19. MANCHESTER BY THE SEA (2017)
18. BRIDESMAIDS (2011)
17. SICARIO (2015)
16. CALL ME BY YOUR NAME (2017)
15. ANIMAL KINGDOM (2010)
14. LA LA LAND (2016)
13. ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD (2019)
12. JOKER (2019)
11. INSIDE OUT (2015)
10. A STAR IS BORN (2018)
9. THE IRISHMAN (2019)
8. SENNA (2011)
7. SWEET COUNTRY (2018)
6. GET OUT (2017)
5. GRAVITY (2013)
4. THE SOCIAL NETWORK (2010)
3. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (2012)
2. DUNKIRK (2017)
1. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (2015)

It's not just you. Most of his top ten wouldn't even get a run in my top 50. Fury Road number one? It wasn't a bad Mad Max tribute but otherwise pretty average.

It's a pretty meh list if only because, outside of the radical placement of The Dark Knight Rises, it adheres pretty strongly to critical consensus. Reads like an aggregated list from 100 random people who didn't want to create a fuss rather than an individual's personal list.

I enjoyed Get Out but it's pretty overrated. Doctor Sleep, Hereditary, Mama, The Babadook and Lights Out were better horrors from the 10s.

Last edited:
In no particular order:

12 years a slave
Room
Bridesmaids
Bad times at the El Royale
IT 1 and 2 loved em both come at me
Midnight in Paris
Nocturnal Animals (minus the horrific opening credits)
We need to talk about Kevin
Me Before you
Zero Dark Thirty
3 Billboards

Last edited:
My top 10

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Blade Runner 2049
3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
Bad Times at the El Royale
Wind River
Pacific Rim
Jack Reacher
The Shape of Water
Her
Gravity

Honourable mentions

Joker
The Revenant
Inception
Drive
Oblivion
A Star is Born
Elysium
Green Book
Hardcore Henry
Mother!
Mandy
Deadpool
Lucy
Interstellar
About Time
John Wick
John Wick: Chapter 2
Game Night
Bohemian Rhapsody
Django Unchained
The Boy That Harnessed The Wind
Captain Fantastic
Senna
Sicario
Demolition
Alita: Battle Angel
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
A Quiet Place
The Florida Project
Split

Just having a look at my catalogue, some of my faves in no particular order: Like Father Like Son, Leviathan, The Lunchbox, Incendies, Inception, A Prophet, Pieta, The Raid, Wadjda, The Past.

Frank

Dunkirk

3 billboards

Deadpool

The girl with the dragon tattoo

Manchester by the sea

Minions

The nice guys

The man from uncle

Flight

The adventures of tintin

Chappie