Your Top Ten horses

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that the lists are all open age middle distance gallopers. One who I would include is Dance Hero, an absolutely brilliant two year old, especially when you consider what came out of that year (Alinghi, Fastnet Rock, Charge Forward, all subsequent G1 winners at 3 and Group winners at 2), probably the best since Luskin Star.

Interesting that the lists are all open age middle distance gallopers. One who I would include is Dance Hero, an absolutely brilliant two year old, especially when you consider what came out of that year (Alinghi, Fastnet Rock, Charge Forward, all subsequent G1 winners at 3 and Group winners at 2), probably the best since Luskin Star.

Dance Hero, Fastnet rock and Lonhro were 11th-13th on my list.

Cant work out why so many KT's & no Dulcify's,they were 2 yrs apart.
A lot of punters have obviously seen the King & the Man.

seth

Seth i would have Dulcify up with Australia's best horses but when Dulcify died in 1979 Melbourne Cup i was only 10 years old. I remember it very well and I remember seeing grown men cry. To this day the saddest day I can remember in horseracing. However i was just a kid and only really started to take notice of horse racing. Manikato had just started racing at the time and in a couple of years to come Kingston Town. This is definitely the day I really started to watch horseracing even though i was so young. If Dulcify was to continue on racing who knows how good he would have been? Did so much in such a short time.

21 starts for 10 wins 6 group 1's
1978 VRC Derby
1979 AJC Derby
1979 Australian Cup
1979 Mackinnon Stakes
1979 Cox Plate won by 7 lengths
And IMO would have won 1979 Melbourne cup however broke a pelvis and was pulled up and then destroyed.
Colin Hayes said he was the best horse that he ever trained.

My saddest day too by a mile,I wasnt much older.

Thanks for the reminder of his record,never beaten at Flemington in any race he finished.His Aust Cup win beating Manikato & Family of Man was incredible,basically came from nowhere with 250m to go.

He made great horses look ordinary.But he was gone so quickly.I guess that goes against him but it was hardly his fault.
Look at what he achieved in basically 1 season,all at Gp1 or Gp2 level.

To have Dulcify,then KT within 2 yrs,what an era that was.

seth

LMAOOO ... Brissy horse . Used to win with 63 on its back ...P Sando used to back it all the time as well :D

My fave brissy horse was "Let Me Tell" . Would win first up every time

Thank You Samuel, I`d have a decent crack at Bucks , but Pete would go mental on it , quite often he had to send the bird behind the tote to the safe.

My saddest day too by a mile,I wasnt much older.

Thanks for the reminder of his record,never beaten at Flemington in any race he finished.His Aust Cup win beating Manikato & Family of Man was incredible,basically came from nowhere with 250m to go.

He made great horses look ordinary.But he was gone so quickly.I guess that goes against him but it was hardly his fault.
Look at what he achieved in basically 1 season,all at Gp1 or Gp2 level.

To have Dulcify,then KT within 2 yrs,what an era that was.

seth
Dulcify was quite similar to Saintly in a lot of ways, however he didn't win a Melbourne Cup and only the 1 major. If he did win the Melb Cup or another cox plate then i would have had him just above Saintly & near M & P around the 80/100 mark.

Similar but a better 3yo,Dulcify was clearly the dominant 3yo of his year.

Saintly was behind Octagonal,N L Dane & probably equal with Filante at 3.
He turned the corner when he came to Melbourne,Aust Cup,CP & MC.
Remember he was easily beaten in the Metropolitan before his CP win.

Dulcify was dominant anywhere,AJC Derby,Cox Plate,Mackinnon,Rosehill Guineas,Aust Cup,Turnbull,Craiglee,right or left handed.1200m-2500m winner.

Last word to Jim Bowler who saw & weighted them all:
"Dulcify was possibly the best horse I have seen in the last 30 yrs"

Thats good enough for me,I know what I saw.

seth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saintly was behind Octagonal,N L Dane & probably equal with Filante at 3.
He turned the corner when he came to Melbourne,Aust Cup,CP & MC.
Remember he was easily beaten in the Metropolitan before his CP win.
I backed Saintly in the AustCup, won by 4 at 9-1. I thought it would be too good for Octagonal in all those 3yo races up in Sydney after that but Occy was too bloody good for him. I wouldn't say NLD was ever better than Saintly though, it makes me laugh that people rate Saintly so much better than Octagonal, if anything it was the other way round, some people just place far too much emphasis on the melbourne cup. 3200m race for plodders.

1. Makybe Diva
2. Northerly
3. Might and Power
4. Let's Elope
5. Saintly
6. Octagonal
7. Sunline
8. Ethereal
9. Mahogany
10. Schilacci

That was a very strong 3yo crop but I dont remember Saintly winning any of the 3yo classics in Sydney.I do remember NLD winning one,from memory Octagonal won the others.NLD also held off Octagonal in the VRC Derby.
I know about the ride etc etc but its in the book.

Thats why I say as 3yo's it was:Octagonal,NLD,Saintly & Filante.
Saintly found a leg Melbourne way of going & became a very good horse.

Neither found a spot in my Top Ten but you cant have them all.

seth

If there is any distance is world racing that is considered the absolute supreme test of speed/stamina it is 2400m.

Not 2000m, not 3200m, not 1200m.

All the highest rating races in the world are over either 2000m or 2400m.

So just out of interest, is there anyone who genuinely thinks that, both at their best, Makybe Diva would've beaten Might and Power over either 2000m or 2400m?

So just out of interest, is there anyone who genuinely thinks that, both at their best, Makybe Diva would've beaten Might and Power over either 2000m or 2400m?
Actually forget that...is there anyone who thinks she would've gotten within 4 lengths of him? That would be the more realistic arguement.

Deej,happy to have an opinion but can you start a new thread for this please.

seth

1. Might and Power
2. Kingston Town
3. Better Loosen Up
4. Vo Rouge
5. Makybe Diva
6. Dulcify
7. Let's Elope
8. Sunline
9. Dane Ripper
10. Schillachi

Deej, your hijacking someones thread again.
It comes down to opinion, there’s no point arguing over it like a kid mate.

I loved Might and power too but realistically the Diva would toy with him over any distance.
Nowhere near the accleration or stamina. Not a fair race, basically.

No use turning it into a:
yes … would, no … wouldn’t, yes… would, no … no wouldn’t… which is about your level.

2 majors for M&P and proved he’s a champion by winning the Melb Cup (by a lip) and the Cox Plate in modern times. He stands where I put him, around 6th. That’s all there is to it.

I loved Might and power too but realistically the Diva would toy with him over any distance.

yes … would, no … wouldn’t, yes… would, no … no wouldn’t… which is about your level.

2 majors for M&P and proved he’s a champion by winning the Melb Cup (by a lip) and the Cox Plate in modern times. He stands where I put him, around 6th. That’s all there is to it.
Thats all there is to it? Now i know you're joe cliche.

Don't want to start an aegument here buddy, after all it's all subjective,but....

Might and Power's Caulfield Cup win was the most awesome racing display we will ever see in this country. He overraced, was taken on by about 5 horses, was inexperienced and still won by about 8 lengths. I work as a journalist and know that Lee Freedman, Des Gleeson and most racing journos wholeheartedly agree. It was an incredible day and shat all over the Diva beating a bunch of country cup horses.

His Melbourne Cup win was the best I have seen. Did all the work. (unlike the Diva, who usually had other horses cart her into the race).

He should have been sent to Japan (apparently Jack Denham didn't like Jap food, Puuuurleeeze!) and would have won that year.

Other very underrated horses when talking top tens were Naturalism and Rugh Habit. Both were as good as I've seen but had horrible luck in big races. And I should have put Super Impose right up there, the best miler I have seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back