Vo Rogue
Super Impose
PLacid Ark
Northerly
Sunline

Unlucky

Special
Lets Elope

His Melbourne Cup win was the best I have seen. Did all the work. (unlike the Diva, who usually had other horses cart her into the race).

Carted into the race? You're having a laugh surely.
Had to do it the hardest way possible every time and carved them up from way back like a hot knife through butter.

M&P's Melbourne Cup win was great and held on by a lip, gutsy effort, hardly stamped his authority on the race though.
Try watching it on tv next time.

My thoughts on Dulcify
Dulcify ranks about mid to low 70’s/100 by way of achievement, that and he raced 35+ years ago so would have been a little easier back then obviously as racing and depth was nowhere near as strong as today. Unfortunately he just needed to do more.
Realistically, taking emotion out of it, you couldn’t have him above Saintly or Might and Power who were all round champions good enough to win a Melbourne Cup and Cox Plate in modern times and were also cut a little short through injury.
It would be sad/strange in itself if a horse that someone only knew from racing died and was ‘by a mile the saddest’ day in their life.

mods, if this kid is allowed to keep posting on this board I won't be coming back. the whole board is starting to be dominated by his bs or replies to his bs.

Starz,remember this thread was 'Horses you've seen race"
Safe to say you didnt see Dulcify race.
I did,Jim Bowler did,he's top 2.

It was 25 yrs ago+,not 35,why was racing easier?
Do you believe in another 20yrs you'll be saying the same thing?
Times havent improved much,weights are similar,tracks in Victoria are the same.

seth

Other very underrated horses when talking top tens were Naturalism and Rugh Habit. Both were as good as I've seen but had horrible luck in big races. And I should have put Super Impose right up there, the best miler I have seen
Naturalism was a great horse , but Rough Habit ??? ... one the bigger cats going around , refused to run past horses .That flaw for mine is enough to write that horse off in this discussion .

Have not heard Veandercross`s name mentioned .. Beat Rough Habit in the Mackinnon in 93 when had no right to after nearly falling twice ... now that was a racehorse , most incredible win i have ever seen ... and we all know what Shane Dye did to it in the Caulfield Cup.

Would be interested to hear some peoples thoughts on a few retired to stud early and where they may have ended up?

Starting with Reset, Redoute's Choice and Alinghi?

Savabeel perhaps also...despite his form being a touch ordinary before retirement...

I've confined myself only to horses that I've actually seen in the flesh. I first went to the races in 1965 as a kid in Adelaide. I haven't included any horses from the 1970s because I hardly ever went to the races in that decade. I've put them in rough chronological order.

Galilee - I saw him win an ordinary 3-y-o handicap at Cheltenham in December 1965 ... the first time I ever went to the races. The following spring he was Australia's greatest racehorse, winning the Caulfield-Melbourne Cup double.

Manihi - Champion South Australian sprinter in the late 1960s. Very wayward as a 2-y-o, had a bad habit of running wide on the home turn, but was the fastest thing on 4 legs. Went on to sire the legendary Manikato.

Kingston Town - Never actually saw him race, but I saw him do an exhibition gallop between races at Rosehill in 1985. Tommy Smith was setting him for a comeback in the spring, but decided not to go ahead with it.

Sir Dapper - Brilliant Sydney galloper in the early 80s. Saw him win a couple of good races early in his career.

Rubiton - Saw his first start. He was at very long odds on a heavy track at Morphettville ... and bolted in.

Saintly - Saw his last race at Caulfield. Oppressively hot day. He got caught in a hopeless pocket and looked no chance at the 200 metres. Somehow Beadman got him into the clear and he motored home to win. Broke down at trackwork not long after that win.

Might And Power - Saw him win the Caulfied Cup, Melbourne Cup and the Cox Plate. The Caulfield Cup win, in particular, was an awesome display. I'd barely heard of him before that race, but everybody had heard of him after it.

Doriemus - I saw his fast-finishing photo-finish second to Might And Power in the Melbourne Cup. I remember Greg Hall's "victory" salute as he crossed the line :eek: He also ran second in the Caulfield Cup to the same horse but didn't get close that time.

Sunline - Saw her first Cox Plate win. Wonderful mare.

Northerly - Didn't see any of his Group 1 wins, but I saw him win a good race at Flemington one day.

There are plenty of other champions that I've seen racing on TV, but I've never seen them in person (if that's the right word) including Makybe Diva, Octagonal, Bonecrusher, Tobin Bronze, Light Fingers, Gunsynd ... the list goes on and on ... and then, of course, there's all those great horses before my time ... Rising Fast, Tulloch, Bernborough, Peter Pan, Phar Lap, Carbine ...

He should have been sent to Japan (apparently Jack Denham didn't like Jap food, Puuuurleeeze!) and would have won that year.

That's a bit over the top. Would have been a chance, but to categorically say he would've won is ridiculous. A lot has to go right, for a horse to go over there and win.

Naturalism was a great horse , but Rough Habit ??? ... one the bigger cats going around , refused to run past horses .That flaw for mine is enough to write that horse off in this discussion .

Have not heard Veandercross`s name mentioned .. Beat Rough Habit in the Mackinnon in 93 when had no right to after nearly falling twice ... now that was a racehorse , most incredible win i have ever seen ... and we all know what Shane Dye did to it in the Caulfield Cup.

Rough Habit a cat? Maybe my memory has been frayed a little. I remember him as an absolute warrior. Had no breeding whatsover, probably the ugliest horse I have ever seen. But just kept fronting up campaign after campaign, won group ones in 3 states, 15 overall, desperately unlucky 2nd in Solvit's Cox Plate, was just winding up when severely hampered in the fall of '92. Absolutely ruled Brisbane racing, 2 stradbrokes, 3 Doomben Cups, always a bit of a bridesmaid in big Melbourne Grp 1s but always a major factor. Versatile, honest and yes, one of the best I have seen.

So many opinions are ruled by the punt
Wish I had a cat that won that many Gp races.
Rough Habit was an awesome competitor.

seth

Rough Habit a cat? Maybe my memory has been frayed a little. I remember him as an absolute warrior. Had no breeding whatsover, probably the ugliest horse I have ever seen. But just kept fronting up campaign after campaign, won group ones in 3 states, 15 overall, desperately unlucky 2nd in Solvit's Cox Plate, was just winding up when severely hampered in the fall of '92. Absolutely ruled Brisbane racing, 2 stradbrokes, 3 Doomben Cups, always a bit of a bridesmaid in big Melbourne Grp 1s but always a major factor. Versatile, honest and yes, one of the best I have seen.
I don't know how he can say Rough Habit "didn't like to run past horses", when it won 29 times.

"And Bonecrusher races into equine immortality"

Might and Power.

Super Impose - in Sydney only

Placid Ark

Special

Rubiton

Better Loosen Up

Filed of Omagh.

Makybe Diva

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kingston Town
Octagonal
Red Anchor
Scillachi
Mahogany
Manikato
Saintly
Sunline
Better Loosen Up
Might And Power

Thats the best 10 since 1980 IMO

Kingston Town
Dulcify

........these 2 were the best Ive ever seen. The rest in no particular order....

Manikato
Sunline
Better Loosen Up
Might and Power
Leilani
Maybe Mahal
Ming Dynasty
Saintly

unlucky

Makybe Diva
Surround
Lets Elope

i got no idea how anyone in their right mind could possibly rate ming dynasty above the great northerly.

If Northerly hadn't done his leg he'd almost certainly have 3, and probably even 4 cox plates to his name. Mahogony? Fields of Omagh? My goodness. FOO sure good horse, but fair dinkum he was Northerly's little b#tch when the tiger was around.

i got no idea how anyone in their right mind could possibly rate ming dynasty above the great northerly.

If Northerly hadn't done his leg he'd almost certainly have 3, and probably even 4 cox plates to his name. Mahogony? Fields of Omagh? My goodness. FOO sure good horse, but fair dinkum he was Northerly's little b#tch when the tiger was around.

"If me aunty had balls she'd be my uncle."

The reality is that FOO had his problems too and has been a great horse in very competitive Cox Plates - and many other races.

The reason that I do not rate Northerly as high is that he could not do it over different distances, he was always susceptible first up and he had a pacemaker who provided him with the ability to run 'into the race" (i.e. Sunline) He was a great horse please do not get me wrong - and I am probably including my opersonal bias - but we are all allowed to do that.

Foo just kept deilivering over a long period.

Agree, Northerly was clearly superior to Ming Dynasty. Field Of Omagh was an inferior racehorse to Northerly as well. Not sure though, are you questioning Mahogany's place on a best of list? I hope not! Both the Vic and Sydney Derbys and 2 Lightning Stakes says it all. Can you name a Derby winner in your lifetime that could do that? He was a freak.

"If me aunty had balls she'd be my uncle."

The reality is that FOO had his problems too and has been a great horse in very competitive Cox Plates - and many other races.

The reason that I do not rate Northerly as high is that he could not do it over different distances, he was always susceptible first up and he had a pacemaker who provided him with the ability to run 'into the race" (i.e. Sunline) He was a great horse please do not get me wrong - and I am probably including my opersonal bias - but we are all allowed to do that.

Foo just kept deilivering over a long period.

Very amusing. Sunline a pacemaker, are you fair dinkum mate?

Mmm,Sunline was Northerly's pacemaker
What do you think of that Deej?

Dont remember her running in the Caulfield Cup though.
Who isnt susceptible 1st up?

seth

I meant which Champions werent susceptible 1st up?
Often trainers dont have them wound up because their targets are later on.

If they do set them 1st up,most Champions are more than capable.
Remember Elvstroem the only time Vasil had him ready?
Conquered the greatest mare of all time from memory

seth

The reason that I do not rate Northerly as high is that he could not do it over different distances.....I am probably including my opersonal bias...
Northerly won group ones at 1600, 1800, 2000, 2040 & 2400.

FOO, great horse he was, won his at 1600 & 2040.

Bias is true mate.

Ming Dynasty ffs i reckon i could name 10 handicappers in the last half dozen or so years that were as good as him.

Ming Dynasty was a great horse,he won 6 Gp 1's & raced during a very strong era,bumping into KT(who he beat in the CC),Dulcify,Surround etc
Having said that,Northerly would have caried him.

seth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back