• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Round 1 is getting close and there are a number of options for the two key defenders. I have not included Siss or Stratts in the mix, as don't see them in that role. Mirra is probably a stretch too, but have included him if we wanted to go slightly smaller.

So out of Frawley, Mohr, O'Brien, Brand, Koschitzke and Mirra, who are the two you'd like to see have first crack in Round 1?

For mine, it's Frawley and Brand...

You???

Round 1 is getting close and there are a number of options for the two key defenders. I have not included Siss or Stratts in the mix, as don't see them in that role. Mirra is probably a stretch too, but have included him if we wanted to go slightly smaller.

So out of Frawley, Mohr, O'Brien, Brand, Koschitzke and Mirra, who are the two you'd like to see have first crack in Round 1?

For mine, it's Frawley and Brand...

You???
getting close??? only 16 days away !!! (according to the official countdown thread)

I was told today that we were keen on trading for Mohr 2 years ago but he declined. Fast forward 12 months and he was interested in coming to us but we thought we had enough KPD options. Another 12 months on and apparently Frawley is really battling with his Achilles and is constantly in pain. From what I heard Mohr is set to feature heavily this year.

I was told today that we were keen on trading for Mohr 2 years ago but he declined. Fast forward 12 months and he was interested in coming to us but we thought we had enough KPD options. Another 12 months on and apparently Frawley is really battling with his Achilles and is constantly in pain. From what I heard Mohr is set to feature heavily this year.

Great inside knowledge, thanks.:thumbsu:

He would have definitely been a handy acquisition 2 years ago, too bad that he now appears just about as cooked as Frawley does.

Hopefully we're able to get the both of them over their injury concerns, especially Frawley who does cop alot of unfair criticism.

He's not in the side to accumulate possessions, he's in it to stop opposition forwards, he's also one of the leagues best for that part.

I chose 3. I think Brand and O’Brien started to form a good partnership in the VFL. Brand was attacking more (and always looks better when he is attacking) and O’Brien was running off his man to intercept.

I would like to see them continue to build trust in each other and play as a partnership but I think we also need Frawley at this stage as they aren’t quite experienced enough.

Frawley and O'Brien for me. Brand can't kick so only one of him & chip can be in the same side (chip is easily our worst kick). Frawley far superior to Brand one v one also.
O'Brien has a cool head and hits targets, can see him holding down chb for years to come. Haters gon hate

There's a few things I'm not sure line up here.

1. Mohr not wanting to go two years ago when he was out of contract and out of the team, with plenty of kids in front of him in the pecking order.
2. Deciding we had enough KPD options 12 months later when we hadn't picked up any more, having just suffered the majority of a season without Stratton and Frawley, also having just delisted Gibson and never really replaced Lake.
3. Frawley having an Achilles problem leaving him constantly in pain when he has never had a reported Achilles issue that I can find.

Not questioning that you were told this information, just questioning the accuracy from who told you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well from my POV Frawley even though he can make mistakes is our best option as KPD that we have atm, next up for me Mirra is the 2nd best KPD, i know some people will disagree but he is one of the best in the air, he seems more composed than he did in his first few games at AFL, late last year and JLT1 he has seemed very self assured and comfortable at the level.

Brand - he has had patches of good form in the last 3 years, has yet to cement his spot.
O'Brien - slightly better as a defender, last chance to make it.
Mohr - had a shakey JLT1, but could be a decent back up defender or main KPD depending on how things play out.
Koschitzke - we havnt seen him play against men and if he can mentally take the step up, will spend time developing.

P.S. i think Stratton did a wonderful job last season stepping up to play KPD with Burton and part time Sicily when injury hit.

I have high hope that O'Brien can make it this yr he has showed alot of improvement the last 12 months down back. It is his last chance he been on the list for a eternity.

But I don't think it will be as a key position he lil to small not strong enough in the body. I see him getting groomed more in Sicily role as a 3rd up and distrubitor of the footy.

I have high hope that O'Brien can make it this yr he has showed alot of improvement the last 12 months down back. It is his last chance he been on the list for a eternity.

But I don't think it will be as a key position he lil to small not strong enough in the body. I see him getting groomed more in Sicily role as a 3rd up and distrubitor of the footy.

Sicily played CHB. It's crazy how many people think we rolled with Frawley and Brand. Brand only played when Sicily was injured.

Frawley and O'Biren i think. You cannot play Frawley and Brand together.

Sicily played CHB. It's crazy how many people think we rolled with Frawley and Brand. Brand only played when Sicily was injured.

Frawley and O'Biren i think. You cannot play Frawley and Brand together.

Don't think that is right. Different players rotated onto the talls - it was not Sicily as a CHB all year when in. Burton got Tex Walker at times and other talls, providing Siss with the opportunity to play third man up.

There's a few things I'm not sure line up here.

1. Mohr not wanting to go two years ago when he was out of contract and out of the team, with plenty of kids in front of him in the pecking order.
2. Deciding we had enough KPD options 12 months later when we hadn't picked up any more, having just suffered the majority of a season without Stratton and Frawley, also having just delisted Gibson and never really replaced Lake.
3. Frawley having an Achilles problem leaving him constantly in pain when he has never had a reported Achilles issue that I can find.

Not questioning that you were told this information, just questioning the accuracy from who told you.
Well there are plenty of holes in my story aren't there 😂
Like you say no idea if any of what I was told is on the mark, time will tell I guess

Just some numbers for you guys:

Sicily attended 37 contested defensive one on ones, and lost 7 - with a defensive loss rate of 18.9%.
Frawley attended 49, lost 9 - loss rate of 18.4%.
Hardwick attended 40, lost 10 - loss rate of 25%.
Stratton attended 65, lost 15 - loss rate of 23.1%.
Brand attended 21, lost 9 - loss rate of 42.9%.
Burton attended 27, lost 11 - loss rate of 40.7%.

Stratton was clearly our defender most responsible for his opponent, and others seemed to rotate - but of those guys Frawley is obviously our most effective stopper.

It's obvious just looking at it that Sicily, Frawley, Hardwick and Stratton start there. It's also pretty clear if we saw Burton staying in his current role, that probably factored into why he was let go easier than we thought he would. It's also why I'm not sure Brand is the answer.

Also; here's why Sicily stays put. He was elite in spoils, one percenters, contested marking, intercept marking, metres gained, inside 50s, rebound 50s, effective disposals, scoring AND scoring launches last year.

I was trying to find something he was below average in and all I could find was clearances.

Don't think that is right. Different players rotated onto the talls - it was not Sicily as a CHB all year when in. Burton got Tex Walker at times and other talls, providing Siss with the opportunity to play third man up.

Fair point, I can't confidently say he played CHB all year, but he certainly played many games I watched there. Ultimately, our defensive structures enabled him to attack the ball in the air whether he was CHB or not.

Sicily attended 37 contested defensive one on ones, and lost 7 - with a defensive loss rate of 18.9%.

Stratton was clearly our defender most responsible for his opponent, and others seemed to rotate - but of those guys Frawley is obviously our most effective stopper.

It's obvious just looking at it that Sicily, Frawley, Hardwick and Stratton start there. It's also pretty clear if we saw Burton staying in his current role, that probably factored into why he was let go easier than we thought he would. It's also why I'm not sure Brand is the answer.

Also; here's why Sicily stays put. He was elite in spoils, one percenters, contested marking, intercept marking, metres gained, inside 50s, rebound 50s, effective disposals, scoring AND scoring launches last year.

I was trying to find something he was below average in and all I could find was clearances.

Impressive work mate.

The backline is really lacking a general. I assume Stratts will do the marshalling down back but have not noticed him doing that role before.

TO could play back if Sicily plays forward. Have not seen Chip and Mohr play together thus far. It seems to be a case of either or.

KB is the second tall, it's his spot to lose.

these are great stats and why i prefer Mirra over Brand, also stats dont have context so some can be misleading, but these stats seem to show our 4 best defensive performers..

these are great stats and why i prefer Mirra over Brand, also stats dont have context so some can be misleading, but these stats seem to show our 4 best defensive performers..

Exactly what you'd want from each person too.

All 4 very good in one percenters, spoils. Hardwick elite in contested ground ball gets (ideal as a small defender as you want to beat your opponent to the ground ball). Sicily and Hardwick both elite with their disposal.

Back