Your unpopular opinions about Collingwood? (pls respect folks' rights to their opinions)

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the club but:

I think a lot of our kids are overrated

I think Swan is almost certainly finished and a will struggle next year

I think Cloke's best footy is behind him as well

I like Heretier and hope he sorts himself out and I wish him all the best

I am a huge fan of Beams and devastated he wants to leave but, I think that is football these days and we just get what we can for him

I find it extremely strange that we had so many players miss the so much football with soft tissue injuries and so many go down with knees and other serious injuries towards the end of the season, I believe a very broad and thorough review should take place and be made available for scrutiny by the public at large. What happened was just plain rotten and needs to be thoroughly investigated, examined and deliberated on.
That last one would have to be the most popular opinion going around

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I don't think we're in nearly as bad a shape as people make out. For all the "turmoil" we were one win and percentage out of the finals. There were a number of games against sides below us that we clearly could have won that we didn't. Make those up, and we're solidly in the 8. Sure, there are problems with the squad, and it'll no doubt be harder without Beams, but we're not headed further downwards like the knockers would have you believe.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Eddie has run his race.
Pert never ran a race.
Our list is too slow to enter a race - we wouldn't get their on time.

Good thread, mine are

1 Blairs defensive work and hardness is underrated. He will be a 1st 22 player again in 2015.

2. We overrate our young players and then marginalise the next level up when they dont immediately live up to the lofty level we have set. Classic example currently is Broomhead and Fasolo. Look at their 1st 2 years in the system and Fas did far more (Broomy had injuries). Fasolos last 2 seasosn have been decimated by injury but it seems that is no explanation for his fall off in form. He should be one who we look to to give us great improvement in 2015. Broomy looks interesting and played some nice cameos in 2015. Also struggled when the heat was on. Thats fine , he is young. Still many seem to have already annointed him as a guaranteed star of the future. He isnt established 22 yet and will find in 2015 he will still be behind Elliott, Fas, Blair etc as a small forward until he steps up and overtakes them. Only one I see him a chance of passing in 2015 is Blair but I dont think he will.

3. We don't value our established workmen like players enough. Heretier, Goldy, Blair, Maxwell, Toovey etc do so much unnoticed work that the match committee clearly appreciates. Too manty supporters undervalue how hard thes guys have worked and the ability level they have to make themselves solid best 22 players over multiple seasosn. They are not easily replaced and the 3 left with us will be part of our next successful team.

4. Cloke, Swan, Pendles and Reid represent our cream. Elliott, Sdiey and maybe Fas can join them. We dont have the class in our youth that we have with that 1st 4 and we need them to be used soon not waits for seasons when their stars are on the decline. Beams for this reason more than any is a massive loss.

5 Like Bucks a lot, not sure on how good a coach he is but he needs to take us back up the ladder very soon if he is to retain his job

boxy99

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
bayside
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
I actually like reading the Brisbane board on the beams trade! It's a good laugh

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hate the bagging of players for leaving no matter what their reasons are. They played for our club and deserve to be respected. I don't like that "different" players are bagged more because we don't know what is going on inside them.

Except Darren Jolly.

Yes, he was pushed rather than asking to leave, but we do know what's going on inside him. Its going on inside my septic tank right now too.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Ben Sinclair won't become a player.

Ben Kennedy is only a slightly better version of Blair.

Alex Fasolo is a shorter slower Josh Hill.

Ben Reid won't offer us anymore than Lachlan Keeffe in the backline now.

Tom Landgon has no qualities that make him midfield relevant.

We should have picked James Aish over Mathew Scharenberg.

Josh Thomas won't become a player. He's too one-dimensional. Not a good enough runner and too short to be a permanent midfielder. Not quick enough or have a good enough crumbing ability to be a forward.

If we have a backline with all of Toovey, Frost, Williams, Sinclair, Goldsack we're screwed. Only 2 of those players should be in our backline.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
I tend to agree, but who's the alternative...
That's part of our problem. We lack real leaders now. Pendlebury is not a bad captain at all he just isn't a really good one and there aren't any better alternatives on top of which he doesn't have much backup.

Good_Old

Cancelled
10k Posts Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
May 27, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's part of our problem. We lack real leaders now. Pendlebury is not a bad captain at all he just isn't a really good one and there aren't any better alternatives on top of which he doesn't have much backup.

Do you guys mean that he doesn't have enough mongrel about him or that he's not inspiring in some way? Something for us who don't see it, that will better understand your opinions?
He's similar in every facet to Jobe imo, who apart from being jabbed, is a great leader. The consummate professional who leads by example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy with Bucks as coach and the support he has from Eddie and the board.
The culture issues were a problem and are now resolved.
We have finally weeded out all the distractors from our club.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you guys mean that he doesn't have enough mongrel about him or that he's not inspiring in some way? Something for us who don't see it, that will better understand your opinions?
He's similar in every facet to Jobe imo, who apart from being jabbed, is a great leader. The consummate professional who leads by example.
I think he's a top shelf player who leads by example in terms of professionalism, getting the ball and using it well. That's not a criticism. It doesn't make him a great captain though. Maxwell was a much lesser player but a better leader. Luke Hodge is a great example of a great player who is also a great captain. Chris Judd isn't a good captain. Pendlebury is somewhere between Judd and Hodge. The problem I was referring to was more that there isn't much real leadership after that. That's not to say some players won't develop but right now it's one reason why we play like headless chooks at times.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Did you say that last year?
I am a million miles from convinced we started with any meaningful cultural problem but on what basis can you say the cultural issues have been resolved? What makes you think that?

Did you say that last year?
I am a million miles from convinced we started with any meaningful cultural problem but on what basis can you say the cultural issues have been resolved? What makes you think that?

I am a 100% Bucks fan and always have been.
My personal opinion is the MM way of she'll be right as long as they play well is old hat.
Here's an article from nearly 2 years ago which was the end of Bucks' first year as coach, (don't recall having seen anything like it since).
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pies-must-tackle-bad-behaviour-20121128-2aef8.html

Last edited:

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Edit - PS: I thought I was allowed my opinion, particularly in this thread
Don't know why you felt you had to add that. I just asked what you based your opinion on.

Funny how we accept Caro articles when it suits though and ironic that Swan is the player who is still at the club.

Don't know why you felt you had to add that. I just asked what you based your opinion on.
Funny how we accept Caro articles when it suits though and ironic that Swan is the player who is still at the club.

Fair enough, probably a bit too and unnecessarily defensive - I apologise and have deleted it.
It's the old adage; where there's smoke there's fire.
Caro almost appeared to have it in for Swanny whereas I'm talking more generally.

Last edited:

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fair enough, probably a bit too and unnecessarily defensive - I apologise and have deleted it.
It's the old adage; where there's smoke there's fire.
Caro almost appeared to have it in for Swanny whereas I'm talking more generally.
No worries.
Caro did have it in for Swan IMO (still does) but she has it in for Collingwood/Eddie and leaps on anything. There is quite possibly with some fire behind the smoke. Not something I am overly fussed with if it doesn't impact on field performance or drag others down which I don't think it did. Different people have different views re on v off field stuff.

Eddierules

Team Captain
May 31, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
We have also weeded out probably the two worst senior players on our list in Maxwell and Lumumba not only poor players but an embarrassment.also looks like a knee injury has saved Macaffers career again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Keeffe not afl senior standard as a key position tall.

Brown should've been traded while he had some sort of trade value. May get delisted within two years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back